Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Curio & Relic/Black Powder (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Mosin-Nagant Magazine- Rough Prototype (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=332164)

Datamancer 08-15-2010 11:23 AM

Mosin-Nagant Magazine- Rough Prototype

Ok, so I finally got a chance to do some work on the mosin mag I was asking about over at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=317954.
I have a quick-and-dirty semi-working prototype, but I haven't had a chance to really tweak it yet. This version is ugly as sin, but it's just to get the internal dimensions correct and test the design. My welder kind of sucks so forgive the gloppy welds.

http://www.datamancer.net/blog/images/mosinmag1.jpg
http://www.datamancer.net/blog/images/mosinmag2.jpg
http://www.datamancer.net/blog/images/mosinmag3.jpg
http://www.datamancer.net/blog/images/mosinmag4.jpg
http://www.datamancer.net/blog/images/mosinmag5.jpg
http://www.datamancer.net/blog/images/mosinmag6.jpg

The spring is from a single-stack WASR-10 AK mag and is a little narrow, but seems to get the job done. I still need to tweak the new follower a little bit, but the mag "mostly works". I'll try to shoot a video once I get everything working properly.

-~D~-

ZenDaddy 08-15-2010 11:42 AM

Looks to me like you might just be on an awesome track there! Great start!

ZenDaddy 08-15-2010 11:44 AM

Let me know when I can place an order:thumbsup:

Small Yellow 08-15-2010 11:46 AM

The dirty weld makes it look even more badass. Looks like something the Russian guy in Ironman2 would make.

bplvr 08-15-2010 12:12 PM

Anyone know what the minimum overall length of a bolt action rifle is ?
{ 16.5" barrel }
I am still trying grasp the reasoning about the lever action with a 16 round tubular fixed mag and a bolt action rifle with a 12 round fixed mag.
Seems if one is legal ,they both should be.
Looking at 12276.1{a}{2} it clearly mentions semi-auto only.

Cokebottle 08-15-2010 12:33 PM

Minimum OAL is 26" for anything other than semi-auto centerfire.

Vlad 11 08-15-2010 12:35 PM

Really Cool . Ive wanted to do this for a long time.

SixPointEight 08-15-2010 12:49 PM

Oh my lord. It's so ugly but so awesome at the same time...I'd buy it.

HskrVern 08-15-2010 12:56 PM

Heck, I'll wait in line for one too.

bplvr 08-15-2010 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 4786663)
Minimum OAL is 26" for anything other than semi-auto centerfire.

OK . I have a plan for my Franken-Mosin. A 16.5" barrel with an AKM flash hider {welded} and a Tapco folding stock. Comes to 27.0 " when folded. It has no wood at all . Just a pistol grip and a forward pistol grip .

Cokebottle 08-15-2010 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplvr (Post 4786916)
OK . I have a plan for my Franken-Mosin. A 16.5" barrel with an AKM flash hider {welded} and a Tapco folding stock. Comes to 27.0 " when folded. It has no wood at all . Just a pistol grip and a forward pistol grip .

Careful that the forward pistol grip doesn't create an AOW.

I don't think it does, being the OAL and barrel length are good for a long rifle, but I'm not familiar with all of the AOW/DD statutes.

Rekrab 08-15-2010 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 4787011)
Careful that the forward pistol grip doesn't create an AOW.

I don't think it does, being the OAL and barrel length are good for a long rifle, but I'm not familiar with all of the AOW/DD statutes.

Reasonably certain it wouldn't trigger AOW because it's still a rifle. The folding stock is good to go because he meets the overall length requirements.

Still, can't imagine what that thing would be like to shoot folded. o.O

ChrisTKHarris 08-15-2010 2:16 PM

I'd buy one. :)

Cokebottle 08-15-2010 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rekrab (Post 4787033)
Still, can't imagine what that thing would be like to shoot folded. o.O

Ouch.

Datamancer 08-15-2010 3:12 PM

Thanks everyone. Glad you like it. As I said, this is just to get the rough inner dimensions, then I'll probably be making a more polished version. Hell, if it works well enough, maybe I'll get a batch made for me somewhere and sell 'em off.

Some of you might have missed the sentence at the bottom of the original post. The spring and follower are from a WASR-10 AK magazine which is a 7.62x39 mag. I extended the follower and put an L-bend in the front to try and keep it from buckling. The spring is a little narrow (width-wise) so it tends to have a strange arc to it when semi-uncompressed, but I'm hoping to combat that with the follower design to even-out the upward force.

I tried to do a feed test at the range today, but I got booted for having steel-core ammo before I got the chance to do anything with it. I did grab a few of my empties though which I'll make into some dummy rounds to experiment with.

-~D~-

nick 08-15-2010 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplvr (Post 4786916)

Flash HIDER on a Mosin??? Sacrilege! :)

bplvr 08-15-2010 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick (Post 4787258)

The AKM still shoots flash forward but also shoots @ 9:00/12:00/and 3:00 :eek:

I'll need one of those 10 round mags too. Interesting project.

ZenDaddy 08-15-2010 4:26 PM

I was first in line! DIBS on first right!
Is there going to be a 10 round stripper clip too?

Jarhead 08-15-2010 4:36 PM

looks like something out of Mad Max

Datamancer 08-15-2010 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenDaddy (Post 4787534)
Is there going to be a 10 round stripper clip too?

Now that's a good idea!

I'll see what I can do. Shouldn't be too hard to tack weld 2 of them together on low temp.

-~D~-

bplvr 08-15-2010 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datamancer (Post 4787685)
Now that's a good idea!

I'll see what I can do. Shouldn't be too hard to tack weld 2 of them together on low temp.

-~D~-

I have a whole bunch of real European ones to sell @ $1.50 ea. They are not the mis-bent chi-com ones,but real spring steel.

Double_D 08-15-2010 5:31 PM

i wanna see a video of this in action

pullnshoot25 08-15-2010 5:42 PM

This thread is full of win. Rad project dude, that is just too badass for words! I would definitely use one of those for one of my Mosins!

AW rules do not apply to bolt actions, have all the evil features you want.

Also, 10rd stripper clips would be kinda weird since it wouldn't fit in the standard pouch AND it would probably be very awkward to use. I think 2x 5rd stripper clips would work better.

ZenDaddy 08-15-2010 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 (Post 4787817)
This thread is full of win. Rad project dude, that is just too badass for words! I would definitely use one of those for one of my Mosins! AW rules do not apply to bolt actions, have all the evil features you want. Also, 10rd stripper clips would be kinda weird since it wouldn't fit in the standard pouch AND it would probably be very awkward to use. I think 2x 5rd stripper clips would work better.

How about a pneumatic ram driven autostacking autoloader power stripper slamming 10 rounds into the "Mad Mag" in .7 seconds?:D

(custom pouch!)

ZenDaddy 08-15-2010 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick (Post 4787258)

How about a flash enhancer!! A little blast of propane with each shot?

Pthfndr 08-15-2010 6:48 PM

That's pretty cool. Keep us updated.

Scratch705 08-15-2010 6:49 PM

just wondering, how would the spring/follower out of a SVT work? or even just spare mosin springs, cut the follower off one and just weld them together?

or a .308 magazine spring? wouldn't that be more closer to the x54r size and give more equal upforce?

Bhobbs 08-15-2010 6:54 PM

I think you should finish the rifle in a rusty look and keep the franken mag.

pullnshoot25 08-15-2010 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenDaddy (Post 4787891)
How about a pneumatic ram driven autostacking autoloader power stripper slamming 10 rounds into the "Mad Mag" in .7 seconds?:D

(custom pouch!)

You have just elevated this to "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" status.

I love it :)

pullnshoot25 08-15-2010 7:01 PM

Also, just a pointer... if you can figure out how to modify the magazines like the "HV" marked mags on the Finnish M28/30 and M39 magazines, you will be even more golden!

Datamancer 08-15-2010 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch705 (Post 4788101)
just wondering, how would the spring/follower out of a SVT work? or even just spare mosin springs, cut the follower off one and just weld them together?

or a .308 magazine spring? wouldn't that be more closer to the x54r size and give more equal upforce?

I don't think that would work because the mag is double-stacked, so the spring is double-wide as well. "Roughneck" here on the forum actually sent me a PSL mag to dissect but I ran into the same problem. I tried to rework the radius of the spring but small rust pits in the spring kept causing pieces to snap off so I ditched that plan and went looking for a single-stack.

I also considered the double-stacked mosin follower idea, but the angles were all wrong, plus I'd have to strengthen the flatsprings to lift twice the weight, which means routing out all the teeny little locking grooves in the lifter arms, etc which would be a total P.I.T.A.

A single-stack 308 mag is a good idea and might work because it's basically a 7.62x51. As a backup in case mine doesn't work, any idea which 308 mags would be a good fit? Needs to be 10 rounds deep and single-stack.

-~D~-

emcon5 08-15-2010 8:56 PM

The only .308 single stack removable magazine I can think of was the Remington 788, which won't help because they were only 3 rounds.

bplvr 08-15-2010 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datamancer (Post 4788361)
I don't think that would work because the mag is double-stacked, so the spring is double-wide as well. "Roughneck" here on the forum actually sent me a PSL mag to dissect but I ran into the same problem. I tried to rework the radius of the spring but small rust pits in the spring kept causing pieces to snap off so I ditched that plan and went looking for a single-stack.

I also considered the double-stacked mosin follower idea, but the angles were all wrong, plus I'd have to strengthen the flatsprings to lift twice the weight, which means routing out all the teeny little locking grooves in the lifter arms, etc which would be a total P.I.T.A.

A single-stack 308 mag is a good idea and might work because it's basically a 7.62x51. As a backup in case mine doesn't work, any idea which 308 mags would be a good fit? Needs to be 10 rounds deep and single-stack.

-~D~-

Why not put plates inside the mag to imitate a single stack and bend a new spring from flat spring steel? It might help to design the mag body extra long and just block it to 10 rounds .Spring stock is easy to work with.Bend it as you like {extra long} ,heat it up to cherry red and toss it in 30 wt. oil. That will get it to 28-30 RC . Cut to fit with a dremel tool. Add the block.

FS00008 08-15-2010 10:21 PM

Tell me when I can order 10 or 20 of them :-D

InFamous20 08-15-2010 10:44 PM

Dude, thats badass!!!!

Quiet 08-16-2010 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplvr (Post 4786608)
I am still trying grasp the reasoning about the lever action with a 16 round tubular fixed mag and a bolt action rifle with a 12 round fixed mag.
Seems if one is legal ,they both should be.
Looking at 12276.1{a}{2} it clearly mentions semi-auto only.

Look at the large capacity magazine laws, not the assault weapon laws.

The lever-action with a 16 round tubular magazine is legal to sell in CA, because tubular magazines on lever-action firearms are exempt from the large capacity magazine law [PC 12020(c)(25)(C)].

A 12 round fixed magazine on a bolt-action rifle is not legal to sell in CA, because the 12 round fixed magazine is a large capacity magazine and can not be sold/offered for sale/imported/manufactured in CA. However, if it's .22 calibered, then it would be exempt [PC 12020(c)(25)(B)] and be legal for sale.

Penal Code 12020
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

bplvr 08-16-2010 9:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet (Post 4789779)
Look at the large capacity magazine laws, not the assault weapon laws.

The lever-action with a 16 round tubular magazine is legal to sell in CA, because tubular magazines on lever-action firearms are exempt from the large capacity magazine law [PC 12020(c)(25)(C)].

A 12 round fixed magazine on a bolt-action rifle is not legal to sell in CA, because the 12 round fixed magazine is a large capacity magazine and can not be sold/offered for sale/imported/manufactured in CA. However, if it's .22 calibered, then it would be exempt [PC 12020(c)(25)(B)] and be legal for sale.

Penal Code 12020
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

================================================== ======

Thank you for the penal code reference.

This state IS NUTS !!

Scratch705 08-16-2010 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datamancer (Post 4788361)

-~D~-

i have no idea.... google search brings nothing, and i don't know enough guns out there to know.

ChrisTKHarris 08-16-2010 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenDaddy (Post 4787891)

(custom pouch!)

http://www.tshirtbordello.com/images...shirt-l-lg.gif

emcon5 08-16-2010 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch705 (Post 4793246)
although the enfield's did use a 10 round internal box magazine that is single stack and with the .303 caliber it is close enough in size to handle the weight? although i dunno how easy it is to get spare enfield magazine springs since that is a C&R gun.

Really? Which Enfield? SMLE was double stack.