Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   How to get a pistol with a renewed but expired license? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=18439)

gidddy169 02-15-2005 4:37 PM

Here is the deal. I have a CCW but my drivers license expired Nov. 11, 2004 and I have a motorcycle and class A permit open on it until June and DMV wont issue me a new license until those are filled or canceled so they just renewed my license and I have a piece of paper. I bought a new Beretta tomcat and my dealer told me the DOJ called him and told him I could not get the pistol because my license is expired. What the hell am I supposed to do I have a Student ID card that doesn't have an experation date but I doubt that will work. Is there any way to get my pistol or am I now just screwed because of this retard state, and am going to have to wait another many months for DMV to allow me to finish my permits and issue me a new license to get a pistol? THIS IS SUCH B*ll SH*T!!
Well any help would be appreciated.

gidddy169 02-15-2005 4:37 PM

Here is the deal. I have a CCW but my drivers license expired Nov. 11, 2004 and I have a motorcycle and class A permit open on it until June and DMV wont issue me a new license until those are filled or canceled so they just renewed my license and I have a piece of paper. I bought a new Beretta tomcat and my dealer told me the DOJ called him and told him I could not get the pistol because my license is expired. What the hell am I supposed to do I have a Student ID card that doesn't have an experation date but I doubt that will work. Is there any way to get my pistol or am I now just screwed because of this retard state, and am going to have to wait another many months for DMV to allow me to finish my permits and issue me a new license to get a pistol? THIS IS SUCH B*ll SH*T!!
Well any help would be appreciated.

Trader Jack 02-15-2005 4:58 PM

You are S.O.L. Get use to it.

drm600 02-15-2005 5:25 PM

why don't you get an id card. it's like a dl but with no driving priviages.

gidddy169 02-15-2005 5:58 PM

Well because an ID card is going to cost more money and take awhile to get just like everything else from DMV.

Trader Jack 02-15-2005 7:30 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gidddy169:
Well because an ID card is going to cost more money and take awhile to get just like everything else from DMV. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GIVE ME A BREAK "An ID card cost more money"
Go to San Fransisco and do some pan handling.

gidddy169 02-16-2005 7:13 AM

Give you a break! I have jumped through so many hoops lately for DMV. They have never gotton one thing right in the last five visits I have been there and 3 hours I have had to wait in line and you just tell me to go get an ID card **** That. They couldn't even tell me all the paper work I needed to register my truck which was from Oregon until the thrird time I went there. Plus I just got a CCW and had to jump through tons of hoops to get that and you tell me to GIVE YOU A BREAK! If you have nothing useful to say why don't you just shut the **** UP!

Mike Searson 02-16-2005 8:17 AM

This state's DMV sucks ***.

I went through the same bull**** when I first moved here. Couldn't buy a gun for 6 months because of those asshats.

I showed up with a Florida Driver's license, US Passport, Social Security card, Private Investigator's license, Veteran's ID, and Florida CCW.

They sent me home for a Birth Certificate as none of my ID showed proof of birth!

I always thought my presence showed that.
My latest go-round with them had to do with them trying to make me smog my 75 Vette.

I had to print out their own website for the ham fisted porkpied fingered toadies.

bwiese 02-16-2005 9:27 AM

Giddy...

Easy, boy... I know you're frustrated with DMV.

You could always "lose" your license and pay the $15 (?) for a new one.

And actually, having a separate CA ID card can be helpful.

It's only $15 or $20 (last time I checked), and it will help you get guns http://calguns.net/groupee_common/em.../icon_wink.gif

Plus, a CA DL plus CA ID care is great for any circumnstance requiring multiple IDs.

And, this way you'll always still have an ID if you commit multiple driving violations and your license is suspended. ;-)

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Moonclip 02-16-2005 10:13 AM

I know it sucks but just take the time and the $15 or 20 dollars it takes, I forget now to get an California ID. Like mentioned before it can come in handy. I used to use mine when walking across the border to Tijuana to come back instead of my CDL and leave that in my car or hotel on the US side so if I lost the ID somehow I'd rather do that then lose my CDL. Besides I don't know any other way you could get around not getting the ID in your situation and being able to buy guns.

gidddy169 02-16-2005 11:37 AM

Yeah I am sorry guys I was just a bit frustrated especially from the "Give me a break and go pan handle remark." The ID is $21 but I am sure I am going to have to pay another $20 to go through the background check again, wait a month or more for my new ID card and then another 10 days to finally get this stupid pistol. Oh well I might just give up on this pistol for now and lose whatever deposit I had to give to order the pistol.

rkt88edmo 02-16-2005 12:49 PM

Make an appointment with the DMV online and cut your wait time down to 15 minutes.

icormba 02-17-2005 12:25 PM

Tell em'"
you had a death in the family and you MUST travel out of state... and you MUST have a valid Ca picture id to get onto a plane. Or something like that?

Anything they can do for you would be much appreciated... there are some nice DMV clerks out there, granted I've only met one... ever!

I got my last License renewel in less than a week & my online car registration made it too me in less than 3 days ~2 months ago. So there has to be someone out there who's nice? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/em...icon_smile.gif

ivanimal 02-18-2005 1:36 AM

I went into Krausewerk today and found a Makarov for a little over 100 bucks, impulse buy, always wanted one of those. Guess what I was in DMV as my license is due to expire at the end of month. Passed all their questions and tests, they gave me a paper license, good for 60 days, and punched a hole in my soon to be expired one. Krausewerk could not process with a hole in the card in that particular spot, right at the expire date. Frustrating! They will hold the gun for me, but I live in the east bay they are in San Mateo. I have to wait till the never to be fired because we have a job till eternity slow moving rhetoric slinging who gives a heck weenies sends me my new card. I don’t need another handgun for my collection, it was a birthday present to myself. Happy b-day from DMV………..

ivanimal 02-19-2005 12:49 AM

I had to deposit a whole check and get cash from the teller machine, at a washington mutual today. They would not give me cash back from my deposit because on the reciept of the temporary license, it says not a verified identification, and there is a punched hole in the picture ID. Granted it was not my regular branch and I wanted 500 back. Totally screwed again. What does day 4 hold for me?

gidddy169 02-19-2005 8:31 AM

Ivanimal, thanks for sharing it makes me feel better to know I am not the only one getting screwed by this stupid law. Sorry that this has to happen to anyone though.

stealthmode 02-19-2005 2:22 PM

yeah id report it stloen or use a passport if you have one. can you use a passport?

militia_bob 02-20-2005 12:48 PM

giddy169,

I feel your pain. Went thru similar experience with DMV.

Had to renew my license, but name on license didn't match my social security-wasted 30 days. Had to update my name at the ss office-another week. Go back to DMV, renew license a second time-waited 25 days for new license to arrive, but didn't. Take time from work and wait at the DMV to find out why my new license never arrived- oh, you were suppose to take a new photo. WTF!! Why didn't anyone tell me that the second time I was at the DMV!!! Ok, take new photo and this time new license arrives in 2 weeks.

All the while I had bought a SU-16 at a really good sales price ($449) with my original expired license and could not pick up until I showed my new license. Blahh....!!! I feel your frustration and pain. You would think if the DMV had a contact number for you, that they would actually call....silly me.. http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif