Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Technology and Internet (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Upgrade Windows XP to Windows 8 (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=835828)

Uinws 10-10-2013 11:13 PM

Upgrade Windows XP to Windows 8

what should I prepare or be caution when I upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 8?

SoberClurichaun 10-10-2013 11:44 PM

I would keep XP. Windows 8 sucks.

seainc 10-11-2013 12:06 AM

Upgrade to W7 instead.

the86d 10-11-2013 4:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seainc (Post 12511863)
Upgrade to W7 instead.

This is more efficient, but I haven't putzed around Win 8.1 yet, as a coworker says that it is an additional fee.

A better alternative might be:
http://pearlinux.fr/download/
I have been using it on my work rig for months, Windows-free. I had no clue how easy it would be to make the transition.

Kokopelli 10-11-2013 4:49 AM

8 is great. Those who don't like it either have never used it or taken 2 minutes to find out what the Windows key on the keyboard does.

The 32 bit version needs 2GB or RAM and the 64 bit version needs 4GB of RAM. Your MB should have a dual core processor to run the 64 bit version. My work windows 8 machine boots up and is ready to use in 30 seconds and it shuts down in 15 seconds.

FYI - most XP machines can run Windows 7. We're running Win7 on a bunch of old Dell Opti 170L, GX260 and GX270 and Inspiron 530 machines.

FresnoRob 10-11-2013 4:56 AM

Upgrade ? The bigger question is with that computer support 8, well enough. If it's and older computer it may run so slow you are not happy with it.

klewan 10-13-2013 10:28 AM

I just got win 8 last week, it's a real turd on a laptop or desktop. They designed it for touch screens; it had to be dumbed to what you could do with a finger, not a mouse or keyboard. I would advise you don't do it, stay with XP or 7. Go look at the win 8 comments on Amazon. Twice as many 1 star as 5 stars. You can read for yourself all the reasons not to downgrade to 8....

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-System...RankDescending

diveRN 10-13-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoberClurichaun (Post 12511808)

x 1 billion. If Windoze 8 is the new standard for Microsoft's OS, I will completely move to Linux. Macs are looking better too.

SunsetIE 10-13-2013 10:48 AM

if its running XP it may not be able to support 8, as vista and 7 have come previously and changed hardware requirements in PCs.

Stick with XP, or try 7

BakoJ 10-13-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uinws (Post 12511718)
what should I prepare or be caution when I upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 8?

How do you use it? For business? Are your u running business apps? Or it it for home use? I'd suggest Windows 7 for home use. That is if your system can support it. Can you go to start > programs>accessories>system tools > system info and tell us how much RAM, what processor and the clock speed you're running? That'll help us point you in the right direction.

I've tried Windows 8. I don't like the interface at all.

woods 10-13-2013 12:31 PM

Windows 7 has less problems with crashing, power management, usb devices, and more. If my " windows8 certified " pc won't run win8 without massive issues I have no hope for it on any other system.

I've been using debian or ubuntu linux mostly and the amount of free software that congress with it out can be installed for free is amazing. You can dual boot windows7 and linux if you need windows for anything that won't run in wine ( Linux's easy way to run windows apps )
You can also run KVM virtual machines without any noticeable performance loss.

I still don't trust mac as any hijacker is in fact aided by Apple employees. My friend lost her password to her itunes account and I went to an apple store to ask what she would have to do to recover it. They asked her email address and birthday and I walk out with her new password. I could have been anyone on her Facebook who saw her birthday.There are also very annoying aspects to their control on the app market and software security. Their updates seem late and you have to pay for many of them.
In addition they just don't have good games or software like linux does.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Ladyrr 10-13-2013 12:38 PM

I have the. Sw fanged windows 8 with the touch screen. I miss xp.

Germz 10-13-2013 1:37 PM

provide 10 good reasons I should switch from 7 to 8.

unless your platform has a touch capabilities...stick with 7. besides, 8 is really optimized from mobile devices.

Germz 10-13-2013 1:38 PM

The only reason I could see moving to 8 is because microsoft is discontinuing service support for win 7 soon.

KON5T 10-13-2013 2:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokopelli (Post 12512137)
8 is great. Those who don't like it either have never used it or taken 2 minutes to find out what the Windows key on the keyboard does.

that would be 2058 of the 2075 workstation we support (not ocf, but my dayjob). And yeah you are right, xp machines can run Win 7, like a lame dog....

vikingm03 10-13-2013 5:58 PM

Just FYI for everyone saying to stick with XP, Microsoft is dropping support for XP early next year. When this happens, you will no longer receive updates (security or otherwise) for your system. IMO you should really look into changing OS before this happens. WIndows 7 or 8 both have a long time of support left. And it is always worth it to check out Linux if you haven't already.

sirgrumps 10-13-2013 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoberClurichaun (Post 12511808)

^^^^ This
Quote:

Originally Posted by seainc (Post 12511863)
Upgrade to W7 instead.

But if you have to upgrade, I concur, only go to Windows 7

otteray 10-13-2013 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladyrr (Post 12530198)
I have the. Sw fanged windows 8 with the touch screen. I miss xp.

Windows 95 rocked, dude.:punk:

LittleOldLady 10-13-2013 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diveRN (Post 12529571)
x 1 billion. If Windoze 8 is the new standard for Microsoft's OS, I will completely move to Linux. Macs are looking better too.

I was in 'the industry' for years as an MCSE+I. I have been working on computers since Commodore VIC 20.
I was in charge of 200 users in an AS400, Novell, Windows environment.
Lots of Linux experience too. Love Linux.

Shhhh, I dual booted my MAC to run Windows 7 for one game. That is all I use it for.... could not get the wine wrapper to work on my Mac for that particular game, bah!

I went MAC and have never looked back. Phooey on Windows.

redarmy 10-13-2013 7:52 PM

Xp or 7. Windows 8 is not user friendly.

stilly 10-13-2013 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diveRN (Post 12529571)

I agree. EVEN though they released Windows BLUE or 8.1 update that addresses this stupid design flaw and fixes the OS to make your start screen/ wallpaper and all come back. (This is theory, I have heard about it but have not seen it yet) The fact that they insisted on pushing, nono, DUMPING this garbage onto everyone like they did with NO regard for who their users were disgusts me. Not that I ever paid for much of their software anyways, but that is just a BS move to pander to those face**** users and people that are attached to their phones. They shoulda NOT tried to fix something that was not broke.

On the other hand, it will only take ONE jackass to opo in and say, NEXT TIME BUY A MAC or whatever they squeal before getting socked and I will be a mac hater again...

I am JUST starting to appreciate macs, but SOME of their users I SWEAR are lik, well, anyways... (VW drivers!)

There... :) Linux FTW...

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingm03 (Post 12532154)
Just FYI for everyone saying to stick with XP, Microsoft is dropping support for XP early next year. When this happens, you will no longer receive updates (security or otherwise) for your system. IMO you should really look into changing OS before this happens. WIndows 7 or 8 both have a long time of support left. And it is always worth it to check out Linux if you haven't already.

No offense but I have heard that so many times I laugh at anybody echoing it still... XP was supposed to be phased out back around 2003, then in 2005, then in 2009, then in 2011... When will this chain letter stop? They will phase it out when nobody still uses it. Until then they will get *****ed at for having flaws and they will continue to push out updates. I think my updates stopped, and then started up again because my windows was just bored so it unupdated itself and then wanted to tell me there were new updates so that I would let it install the same old ones all over again...

Even though I am a hardcore XP pro fan though, I DO agree, if you go with MS today, It is a very wise choice to go with windows 7 pro. Or ultimate or premium ultimate pro corp volume license wtfe... AND of course 64 BIT only. I just wish they would stop with the stupid X86 /program files. HEY! ARE THEY PROGRAMS? Then WHO THE **** CARES IF THEY ARE x86 or x64? JUST STFU AND INSTALL THEM ALREADY... Just a peeve of mine, sorry...

RudyN 10-13-2013 9:08 PM

My XP computer died and I had to buy a new one. The one I got had Window 8 already installed. There is a bit of a learning curve, but so far, it seems to work ok for me. I also have IE10 which is a bit of a pain. My real work was to learn how to use Microsoft Outlook as I was using Outlook Express 6 on my old machine.

glockman19 10-13-2013 9:38 PM

Either stay with XP or go with Windows 7. If you go Win 7 make sure older programs work with it. You may be upgrading programs too

vintagearms 10-13-2013 9:50 PM

Win 8= Vista. Personally for what I do, Win 7 does everything I need.

Timberwolf 10-13-2013 10:08 PM

Go with 7.

klewan 10-14-2013 9:54 AM

I learned 13 years ago; never update. It caused all kind of problems and we didn't have a restore setting back then. After I got 8, looked at the updates Microsoft wanted to install. 1GB of them, I only have a 3.5GB monthly allotment...So turn off the update function. Life is so much smoother without updating....

the86d 10-14-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klewan (Post 12536237)
I learned 13 years ago; never update. It caused all kind of problems and we didn't have a restore setting back then. After I got 8, looked at the updates Microsoft wanted to install. 1GB of them, I only have a 3.5GB monthly allotment...So turn off the update function. Life is so much smoother without updating....

^ THIS. Do a clean install of ANYTHING you want to run, OS-wise.

I thought Linux on the Desktop would be a hard move, but with the distros these days, it is a walk in the park, assuming that the distro has support for all your hardware. Try a live CD/DVD out that you don't have to install, just run off the CD/DVD, and you might be surprised. It will be a bit laggy when you open things, but after they are opened, a Live Distro runs pretty-nice, even with just a Gig of RAM.

I have been running with Linux on the Desktop at work for like 3 months for user support, and if I didn't support Windows users, it would be perfect. :)
I could EASILY run Linux on my home rig... but that will wait until 7 dies. I will not run Win8, as Win7 still has issues that make it less efficient that prior versions, and 8 is even less usable. I am sure that if you don't do much 8 would be fine, but Linux is WAY more efficient than any of the last 2 versions of Windows.

vikingm03 10-14-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stilly (Post 12533085)
No offense but I have heard that so many times I laugh at anybody echoing it still... XP was supposed to be phased out back around 2003, then in 2005, then in 2009, then in 2011... When will this chain letter stop? They will phase it out when nobody still uses it. Until then they will get *****ed at for having flaws and they will continue to push out updates. I think my updates stopped, and then started up again because my windows was just bored so it unupdated itself and then wanted to tell me there were new updates so that I would let it install the same old ones all over again...

You can believe what you want, but I suggest people wondering if this is true to do some googling on the topic. All I know is, the company I work for uses XP for our development desktops and us peons have been commanded to switch to windows 7 by higher-ups before the end of the year due to MS dropping support for XP. Hoax? Could be, but it seems legit enough to me.

ldsnet 10-14-2013 1:25 PM

The XP operating system is more than 10 years old, does that mean the hardware you are installing on is 10 years old too? Unless you purposely installed XP on some new hardware, your old machine would NOT be stable running Win 8.

Save your headache, and spend the $$ on a new machine with Win 7 installed and be happy with it. Unless you NEED the touch screen or other bells and whistles specifically with Win 8, don't waste the time.

Oh and vikingm03, It's no hoax, Win XP has reached End-of-Life and Microsoft is no longer supporting it in 6 months: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ucts/lifecycle

ldsnet 10-14-2013 1:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the86d (Post 12536828)
^ THIS. Do a clean install of ANYTHING you want to run, OS-wise.

I thought Linux on the Desktop would be a hard move, but with the distros these days, it is a walk in the park, assuming that the distro has support for all your hardware. Try a live CD/DVD out that you don't have to install, just run off the CD/DVD, and you might be surprised. It will be a bit laggy when you open things, but after they are opened, a Live Distro runs pretty-nice, even with just a Gig of RAM.

I have been running with Linux on the Desktop at work for like 3 months for user support, and if I didn't support Windows users, it would be perfect. :)
I could EASILY run Linux on my home rig... but that will wait until 7 dies. I will not run Win8, as Win7 still has issues that make it less efficient that prior versions, and 8 is even less usable. I am sure that if you don't do much 8 would be fine, but Linux is WAY more efficient than any of the last 2 versions of Windows.

If you want to keep that old machine running, Linux would be an easy solution; most distro's LIKE older hardware and have WAY less overhead than Microsoft alternatives. Oh and malware and download virus issues are virtually non-existent. MUST run a stable firewall in Linux though to keep out hackers.

Easy networking and file sharing too to move your old files over to the new machine (or internal network cloud link them)

the86d 10-14-2013 1:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldsnet (Post 12537835)
If you want to keep that old machine running, Linux would be an easy solution; most distro's LIKE older hardware and have WAY less overhead than Microsoft alternatives. Oh and malware and download virus issues are virtually non-existent. MUST run a stable firewall in Linux though to keep out hackers.

Easy networking and file sharing too to move your old files over to the new machine (or internal network cloud link them)

I don't know anybody that isn't issued a hardware Router/Firewall combo with their service. I just plug in the data-drive after install is finished in a higher numbered SATA/IDE port than the OS. :)

NytWolf 10-14-2013 2:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokopelli (Post 12512137)

The 32 bit version needs 2GB or RAM and the 64 bit version needs 4GB of RAM. Your MB should have a dual core processor to run the 64 bit version. My work windows 8 machine boots up and is ready to use in 30 seconds and it shuts down in 15 seconds.

FYI - most XP machines can run Windows 7. We're running Win7 on a bunch of old Dell Opti 170L, GX260 and GX270 and Inspiron 530 machines.

This. If you know anything about computers, you would see how superior 8 is over 7 and especially over XP. Haters just gonna hate. The problem is, people just don't like change. Once you learn it, you'll see why they built 8 like they did.

castgold 10-14-2013 3:30 PM

I have XP, Win 7 and Win 8 all on different machines in my office. If your essential software runs on Win 7, I'd go with that. There is a bit of a learning curve moving to Win 8, and there may be some compatibility conflicts jumping to 8.

wdsonny 10-14-2013 3:55 PM

I like my Win8 Pro. It's fast, does what I need and I don't have to use my greasy fat fingers on a touch screen. I like the home screen. It has everything I need at glance and then it's off to the Desktop for "normal" computer use. Say what you will, been on 8 for since it was released and for $80, the cheapest Windows I ever bought.