Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   New Product Announcements (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   UNIVERSAL 80% Arms Easy Jig™. No drill press required to finish your 80% lower! (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=854081)

80% Arms 11-19-2013 7:41 AM

UNIVERSAL 80% Arms Easy Jig™. No drill press required to finish your 80% lower!

We are excited to announce that the Easy Jig™ for AR-15 will begin shipping in early December! We're finally able to release some details on it. More info, and an instructional video will be posted in the coming weeks.

The Easy Jig™ is a patent pending jig that makes machining your 80% lower easier, faster, and safer than ever before. Lowers finished with the Easy Jig™ have a better finish and hold tolerances that could not be achieved using any other jig on the market today. You do not need to own a drill press or mill to use the Easy Jig™. On top of this, you do not need to have any prior machining experience or skills to successfully use the Easy Jig™. We made this jig so simple that our wives / girlfriends, who have never used a power tool in their life, were able to follow our simple instruction manual and build a perfect lower on their first try.

“EZ JIG” feature highlights:

Built in drill/end-mill depth gauge for the trigger and rear-shelf pockets (patent pending)
* Eliminates the need for expensive measurement tools
* Quick verification of depth setting – eliminates slippage issues that can ruin
parts
* Eliminates constant measuring to determine depth while milling

Router based milling instead of drill-press milling (patent pending)
* Router is designed for cutting pockets using a template
* Safer – end-mill downward force can’t separate the drill press taper chuck
* Safer – to move router by hand than to move jig
* Faster – trigger pocket can be cut in 6 to 11 passes vs 25 with a drill press

Compatible with common hand-tools
* Jigs are designed to hold tolerances using a common hand-drill
* Hand-drill which is more common than drill presses
* Routers and drills are portable – can be easily borrowed or rented
Watch the Easy Jig drill out a lower in 5 min with a hand drill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccO1Day60sA

Faster
* Pocket drilling requires 10 holes drilled once – Traditional jigs require 42
holes to be drilled once, precisely aligned and clamped, then re-drilled to a
larger diameter
* Router cuts pockets 5-6x faster
* Hand-drilling the trigger group/safety selector holes is faster to setup

EDIT: As of Sept 23, 2014, the Easy Jig has been improved to make it a universal version which will fit nearly every known 80% lower on the market.

gvazquez 11-20-2013 9:58 AM

I'm ready to order one, however, I would like to know more about compatibility, or if its designed specifically for the 80% arms.

bohoki 11-20-2013 10:48 AM

i was wondering about using a router but i couldn't get close enough because of the buffer tower

Maltese Falcon 11-20-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvazquez (Post 12806595)
I'm ready to order one, however, I would like to know more about compatibility, or if its designed specifically for the 80% arms.

Quote:

This version of the Easy Jig™ is designed for 80% Arms AR-15 lowers. Compatibility has not been tested with any other type of lower.

80% Arms - I am local maybe I can come by and bring a Quentin Defense 80% for comparison purposes?

Probably a You tube vid would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

MF

gun toting monkeyboy 11-20-2013 2:43 PM

Nifty. I'll buy one if they work with milspec lowers or QD lowers, as I still have those sitting around. Let us know how compatible it is. Nothing against your lowers, I just already have a bunch sitting around.

-Mb

Roots 11-20-2013 3:28 PM

Tagged

riddler408 11-20-2013 9:29 PM

I have TR lowers and would like to know if I can use this for them.

gun toting monkeyboy 11-22-2013 8:38 AM

Okay, I pre-ordered one. We'll see if it works with anything else. Are you guys going to post a video on how to do this for those of us lacking mechanical skills? How good are the instructions going to be? What router bits do we need? Heck, what router do you recommend, for that matter? How many lowers can we reasonably expect to do before parts on the jig need to be replaced?

-Mb

SOAR79 11-22-2013 9:20 AM

tagged

speeedracerr 11-22-2013 2:59 PM

I wonder if this would also work on other forged or cast lowers...

jpkar 11-22-2013 3:06 PM

awesome tnx
do you know if this will work with ar10 80%'s

Walking Fire 11-22-2013 7:52 PM

Nice, ordered for .308.
When will they be ready?

speeedracerr 11-22-2013 11:45 PM

Just placed order... Hopefully this will take mil spec type lowers.

SoCal Gunner 11-23-2013 5:12 PM

OK, so what bit are we putting IN the router? xxEndMill?

wilit 11-23-2013 6:35 PM

Any chance you'll have a youtube vid showing it in action?

riddler408 11-23-2013 6:47 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=841496

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal Gunner (Post 12831586)
OK, so what bit are we putting IN the router? xxEndMill?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilit (Post 12832083)
Any chance you'll have a youtube vid showing it in action?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80% Arms (Post 12793257)
We use a regular 1/4 end mill that's designed for Aluminum in the router. We're going to release a video tutorial in the next few weeks, and the manual will be posted asap.

80% Arms 11-23-2013 11:31 PM

In response some of the questions posted here:

1) The easy jig will come with a very detailed manual with plenty of pictures that will walk you through every step. We wrote the manual and gave it to several groups of testers and with no prior machining knowledge to make sure they could follow it. We went through quite a few rounds of testing and edits to make sure that it is very easy to follow even if you have never milled out anything in your life. Every novice tester came out with a perfect lower on their first try, which really speaks for both the manual and the jig.

2) We are making a how to video. Should be out in a couple weeks.

3) The easy jig is designed for 80% Arms lowers. It is a pretty specific fit and we can't recommend it for any other type of lower.

4) We do have a .308 version also. A .308 lower is quite a bit larger than an AR-15 lower and requires a completely different size jig.

5) We will be offering a prepackaged drill bit / end mill set soon. You can also source these items from most tooling supply places or even amazon.com. You just need a 1/4 inch end mill and 3 inexpensive drill bits.

Mutenri 11-24-2013 11:44 AM

If you could make one of these for 1911 frames, I'll offer you my firstborn.

SoCal Gunner 11-24-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutenri (Post 12835314)

Ha Ha! Great idea!

80% Arms - I can send you a Rudius Frame for R&D if you're interested!

John Galt 11-25-2013 6:06 PM

I am really interested in the jig. Do you have a mailing list or way I can be notified when you finish the video? Also does the standard jig and the 308 jig have any common parts? I am interested in both but it would be great if I could avoid buying two jigs.

80% Arms 11-25-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutenri (Post 12835314)

Honestly have no idea what it will take to make that, but if we make an easy jig for it for a reasonable price, we will. The 1911 is on our to do list, it's just on hold until we get all our other current projects done right now.

80% Arms 11-25-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal Gunner (Post 12835356)
Ha Ha! Great idea!

80% Arms - I can send you a Rudius Frame for R&D if you're interested!

Thanks for the offer! It will be a little while until we get around to seriously researching this, but if all the 1911 frames are still out of stock around then you may get a PM :)

80% Arms 11-25-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Galt (Post 12844768)
I am really interested in the jig. Do you have a mailing list or way I can be notified when you finish the video? Also does the standard jig and the 308 jig have any common parts? I am interested in both but it would be great if I could avoid buying two jigs.

We would have made it modular if we could (we tried), but the differences between the .308 lower and AR-15 lower necessitate just about every part to be different unfortunately.

We don't have a way to sign up for our mailing list at the moment (although we will when the new website launches in about a week :D

Best recommendation right now would be to check back to this thread or subscribe to the thread. The video will get posted here and elsewhere on calguns. Should be about 2 weeks til it get released. Was shooting to film this weekend but that didn't work out with Thanksgiving and our media department's vacation schedule... Probably will be filmed next weekend.

rm1911 11-26-2013 7:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80% Arms (Post 12833332)
In response some of the questions posted here:

1) The easy jig will come with a very detailed manual with plenty of pictures that will walk you through every step. We wrote the manual and gave it to several groups of testers and with no prior machining knowledge to make sure they could follow it. We went through quite a few rounds of testing and edits to make sure that it is very easy to follow even if you have never milled out anything in your life. Every novice tester came out with a perfect lower on their first try, which really speaks for both the manual and the jig.

2) We are making a how to video. Should be out in a couple weeks.

3) The easy jig is designed for 80% Arms lowers. It is a pretty specific fit and we can't recommend it for any other type of lower.

4) We do have a .308 version also. A .308 lower is quite a bit larger than an AR-15 lower and requires a completely different size jig.

5) We will be offering a prepackaged drill bit / end mill set soon. You can also source these items from most tooling supply places or even amazon.com. You just need a 1/4 inch end mill and 3 inexpensive drill bits.

any particular router you recommend. I'm probably going to jump on one of the BF deals at home despot or lowes and get a router. this sounds like a pretty good thing. I'll be sending in an order shortly.

thanks.

zfields 11-26-2013 8:08 AM

Jesus, trusting someone with no tool knowledge to a router....scary.

sent from my damn tappy device...

Mutenri 11-26-2013 10:45 AM

Might I urge you guys to consider making this for the 1911 with more haste. Several Rockethub projects, if all goes well, will be rolling out with their 1911 paperweights in the next two to six months, and the Rudius group buys just got their grips. That's several thousand potential customers, many of whom ordered their frames before the ATF shutdowns.

I'm totally saying this because it's honest business advice, and not because I want it for myself :D

80% Arms 11-26-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1911 (Post 12848128)
any particular router you recommend. I'm probably going to jump on one of the BF deals at home despot or lowes and get a router. this sounds like a pretty good thing. I'll be sending in an order shortly.

thanks.

We've tested about 7 routers at this point. A few were Makitas and other high end routers that worked great, but we don't recommend buying one unless already own one because they're expensive and you can get a cheaper one that works just as well for the purpose of making lowers. The two least expensive ones that worked very well are made by Dewalt and Porter Cable. They actually appear to be the exact same router just in a different plastic housing. That makes sense because Black and Decker owns both companies. Since they're identical for all intents and purposes, the cheaper one is probably the better choice. Right now that's the Dewalt version.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D26670-...eywords=router
http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7...eywords=router

We just got a new Black and Decker which we haven't fully tested yet, but based on just a quick test it it will likely be the one we recommend most. The reason for that is the handles on the side make it easier to hold and maneuver around, and the trigger switch on the handle easier to access than the power switch on the other two routers recommended above. This is good because it allows you to turn the router off while still holding it with two hands. It's also the cheapest decent router at $67 on Amazon. After we test this thing by completing an entire lower with it, we can officially endorse it. Hope to get it fully tested within the next few days. http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-R...eywords=router

The only unit that failed our testing so far was a $20 router / cutout tool from Harbor Freight. We thought we'd give it a shot just to see if it could work as a kind of disposable router, but the plastic base was just way too flimsy. On top of that, the first unit we got was DOA. Harbor Freight's nicer routers are the same price as more reputable brand names, so there was not point to testing them.

John Galt 11-26-2013 11:58 AM

The one in the picture looks like my porter cable laminate trimmer. Is this what it is? Have you noticed any difference in finish quality based on the router speed?

Jes 11-26-2013 3:11 PM

Ordered the new jig and a couple paper weights a couple days ago. I have both a Rigid laminate trimmer and full size Millwaukee router, hopefully one of them will suffice.

80% Arms 11-27-2013 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Galt (Post 12849896)
The one in the picture looks like my porter cable laminate trimmer. Is this what it is? Have you noticed any difference in finish quality based on the router speed?

Yes, that's the one in the picture. Works beautifully. Most of the units we tried are around 30k RPM, which seems to be a rough standard for all of these types of routers. Not sure what the effect of lower RPMs was. One of our engineers experimented with this but he's out for the holiday right now. Will see what he says when he gets back.

gun toting monkeyboy 11-28-2013 12:17 AM

So are you guys running any black friday specials on the lowers?

80% Arms 11-28-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy (Post 12863091)
So are you guys running any black friday specials on the lowers?

Indeed we are. For the next 24 hours, promo code "blackfriday" will take 10% off your entire shopping cart.

Walking Fire 12-01-2013 12:37 PM

I have ordered your Easy Jig, What end mill do you suggest for the Easy Jig .308?
I would like to buy the End Mill in advance.
TIA

How Bizarre 12-02-2013 6:30 AM

Cyber Monday

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80% Arms (Post 12869018)
Indeed we are. For the next 24 hours, promo code "blackfriday" will take 10% off your entire shopping cart.

Is there a 'cybermonday' promo?

gun toting monkeyboy 12-02-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by How Bizarre (Post 12889346)
Is there a 'cybermonday' promo?

Yeah, I didn't get a chance to check back on here until today. But I would love to get 10% off on the lower to go with my jig.

(edit) Nope, the "blackfriday" code isn't working anymore. I may end up waiting until the next coupon code comes along then. :(

Maltese Falcon 12-02-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80% Arms (Post 12849621)
We just got a new Black and Decker which we haven't fully tested yet, but based on just a quick test it it will likely be the one we recommend most. The reason for that is the handles on the side make it easier to hold and maneuver around, and the trigger switch on the handle easier to access than the power switch on the other two routers recommended above. This is good because it allows you to turn the router off while still holding it with two hands. It's also the cheapest decent router at $67 on Amazon. After we test this thing by completing an entire lower with it, we can officially endorse it. Hope to get it fully tested within the next few days. http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-R...eywords=router

Hopefully this will be the go to router....If not I can always return it.

I killed it on this deal:

1) Use www.shop42a.com for CGF donation.

2) Over $35 = free shipping

3) B & D / Amazon have a $10 off promotion through end of Dec. (must be be over $50).

Total out the door / shipped / taxed price = $59.63 :D

gun toting monkeyboy 12-02-2013 11:45 AM

Thanks! I just ordered the router too.

-Mb

Maltese Falcon 12-03-2013 9:35 AM

Do we have specs on what drill bits and router bits to get yet?

Aldo The Apache 12-03-2013 9:46 AM

Tagged

DamMan 12-04-2013 3:00 AM

I have also pre-ordered and would like to get the router and end mill on the way. Did the B&D router work out? Do you have a link to the recommended end mill?
Thanx,
DamMan