Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Ammo and Reloading (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Help in choosing proper Brinell for my needs (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=664527)

Fyathyrio 12-27-2012 9:24 AM

Help in choosing proper Brinell for my needs

I want to get some lead projectiles to load up for my wheel guns for everyday plinking. While reviewing the Missouri Bullets site, they offer the style and weight I want in both 12 BHN and 18 BHN. While I understand higher is harder, I've not been able to find the info in my various reloading books to help choose which would be the better choice for me.

The projectiles I'm looking at are 158 gr LSWC for both .38 and .357, and 240 gr LSWC for both .44 sp and .44 mag. I suspect that the loads will be towards the higher end of load range for accuracy based on the history of the weapons and experience with copper plated. I'm not looking for mouse farts, so my gut is telling me too go with the harder ones...but I'd like to confirm that choice and better understand why.

So far the only experience I have with lead are Suter's Choice hardcast I've loaded in .38 spl, which is harder then linotype (22 BHN) I believe? I was able to develop a good load with no leading and nice accuracy. I've not loaded any .357 with these yet.

Thanks for the help,
Mark

sofbak 12-27-2012 12:04 PM

Go back to the MO bullet web site. Somewhere in their site there is a whole page discussion on BNH selection for factors of velocity/pressure, etc.......

Bill Steele 12-27-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fyathyrio (Post 10027636)
I want to get some lead projectiles to load up for my wheel guns for everyday plinking. While reviewing the Missouri Bullets site, they offer the style and weight I want in both 12 BHN and 18 BHN. While I understand higher is harder, I've not been able to find the info in my various reloading books to help choose which would be the better choice for me.

The projectiles I'm looking at are 158 gr LSWC for both .38 and .357, and 240 gr LSWC for both .44 sp and .44 mag. I suspect that the loads will be towards the higher end of load range for accuracy based on the history of the weapons and experience with copper plated. I'm not looking for mouse farts, so my gut is telling me too go with the harder ones...but I'd like to confirm that choice and better understand why.

So far the only experience I have with lead are Suter's Choice hardcast I've loaded in .38 spl, which is harder then linotype (22 BHN) I believe? I was able to develop a good load with no leading and nice accuracy. I've not loaded any .357 with these yet.

Thanks for the help,
Mark

If you are planning anything close to full house .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum pressures, the 18 will be better than the 12's.

Having said that, in my experience, bullet fit is most important, lube is second and bullet hardness pretty far down the list when it comes to leading concerns.

When I am loading SWC's I am usually shooting for velocities in the 1000fops range, so pressures are pretty tame. When I am loading for max pressures in my 10mm, .357 Magnum and .44RM, I load either GC bullets or jacketed.

Fyathyrio 12-31-2012 3:08 PM

Thanks for the replies, I did go with the 18 BHN.

Now, anybody have a recommendation for which powder to start with? I have Bullseye, IMR 4227, and Unique. I've found load data for all three using standard LPP, which I have plenty on hand. I'm not a fan of a small charge in big case, so I'd rather not use the Bullseye. So, between Unique and IMR 4227, which would likely be a better choice for a decent .44 mag load out of a S&W model 29 with 6.5" barrel. I'd like it to feel like a magnum, but not looking for crazy hand cannon or flame thrower rounds. Something around 1100ish fps should work nicely.

I'm not against other powder recommendations, but would prefer one that uses LPP, not LPM so I don't have to buy primers.

Thanks,
Mark

Fyathyrio 12-31-2012 3:08 PM

Now, anybody have a recommendation for which powder to start with? I have Bullseye, IMR 4227, and Unique. I've found load data for all three using standard LPP, which I have plenty on hand. I'm not a fan of a small charge in big case, so I'd rather not use the Bullseye. So, between Unique and IMR 4227, which would likely be a better choice for a decent .44 mag load out of a S&W model 29 with 6.5" barrel. I'd like it to feel like a magnum, but not looking for crazy hand cannon or flame thrower rounds. Something around 1100ish fps should work nicely.

I'm not against other powder recommendations, but would prefer one that uses LPP, not LPM so I don't have to buy primers.

Thanks,
Mark

CalTeacher 12-31-2012 8:15 PM

Proper bullet size and adequate lube are far more important than bullet hardness. Don't get too hung up on a bhn number that is 2 more or less than what a company says is optimal. I've run 8bhn lead in a 45-70 at 1200fps with no gas check with excellent results.

Dang it, Bill beat me to it.

checkenbach 12-31-2012 8:19 PM

What gun are you going to shoot these out of?? My 686 SSR has the new style EDM rifling and it HATES Lead, M.B.C. in particular.

Fyathyrio 12-31-2012 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalTeacher (Post 10072979)
Proper bullet size and adequate lube are far more important than bullet hardness. Don't get too hung up on a bhn number that is 2 more or less than what a company says is optimal. I've run 8bhn lead in a 45-70 at 1200fps with no gas check with excellent results.

Dang it, Bill beat me to it.

I think the size and lube should be adequate, I don't think I've seen a bad word said about Missouri Bullets, that's why I decided to try them. Now I'm looking for some with previous experience loading cast to see if the powders I have will likely give good results or if I should try/buy another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by checkenbach (Post 10073005)
What gun are you going to shoot these out of?? My 686 SSR has the new style EDM rifling and it HATES Lead, M.B.C. in particular.

I'm shooting these out of an older S&W Model 29, mid '70s vintage is best guess based on SN research. It shoots nice with jacketed, time to hopefully save some money with cheaper projectiles.

cruddymutt 12-31-2012 8:49 PM

I shoot 200gr LRN 12 bhn from MBC out of my RIA 1911A1 45acp and a Henry Big Boy 45lc. Both I load with Unique. My friend is using 200gr 18bhn out of his 1911 (unknown maker but its a pricey one) Vaquero 45lc, Henry BB 45lc, Henry BB 44mag, and another 44 mag revolver(unknown maker). He uses Unique in all of them.
Acuracy for my 2 guns has been excellent and my friends Vaqueros shoot real good as well.

klewan 12-31-2012 9:08 PM

The current edition of the Lee Reloading manual has a lot of info on bullet hardness. Lee also sells a hardness measure that doesn't cost a fortune, about $50.

CalTeacher 12-31-2012 9:12 PM

I've always found unique to be a great powder for mid-range cast bullet loads. It burns surprisingly clean at higher pressures and its my main powder for .40, 9mm, and 45-70 cast bullet loads.

Bill Steele 01-01-2013 7:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fyathyrio (Post 10070170)

Thanks,
Mark

Unique is just OK in my opinion with .44RM. For me and my typical WLP primers, shooting 240gr Keith style LSWC's, it seems kind of peaky. When I run it too light it is pretty dirty and a carbon belcher. A little too heavy and it feels like I am in a Rod Serling story. Kind of ho-hum, ho-hum, ho-hum and then HELLO! I am in the vast minority on my feelings for Unique, so take it as one guys opinion. Gievn you have it on hand, maybe give it a try and see for yourself. I agree with Calteacher that as you load closer to max Unique burns pretty clean.

4227 is a fine powder for magnum loads. Load 22grs and you won't be worrying about a double charge and you will definitely get that "magnum feel", albeit perhaps a little less than full house H110/W296, but not much.

Personally, for your 1100fps goal, I would pick up a pound of W231/HP38. You can download it to well under 1000fps no problem and take it right up close to your 4227 territory, all the while being extremely well behaved. The downside is it is pretty dense. Another .44 RM favorite of mine is AA #9. It downloads really well (easily to your velocity goals) and you can step on the gas and get into H110 territory. It also meters as well as any pistol powder you will ever load. The downside is you are using a lot of powder, even on downloads, so it is a little less economical than other options, excepting perhaps your 4227. All of the above work fine with standard primers, although I do favor WLP's with that big case.

Good luck, have fun.

J-cat 01-01-2013 8:37 AM

Get the 12BHN ones. The 44 Magnum was developed with wheelweight alloy, 12 BHN. It will obturate better with mid-max loads. You don't need the harder alloy. Also, just because you found plated bullets shoot more accurately at max velocities, that does not necessarily translate to lead bullets.

I found 12 BHN bullets stopped leading in my 45 ACP revolvers and were more accurate to boot. I now shoot them in everything.

Fyathyrio 01-01-2013 11:20 AM

Bill, thanks for the informative reply, it's nice to have some real world experience to go along with the recipes in the load manuals. 22 gr 4227 is my jacketed magnum load, so perhaps I'll try a few with lead in that range also. I've also found a bunch of comments elsewhere that 10 +/- gr Unique is a nice load for lead magnum rounds, and is the powder I use for my .44 spl jacketed loads and what I'll try with these projectiles also. I guess that's why we reload, I'll try a few of each and see what I like!

Bill Steele 01-01-2013 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fyathyrio (Post 10078404)
Bill, thanks for the informative reply, it's nice to have some real world experience to go along with the recipes in the load manuals. 22 gr 4227 is my jacketed magnum load, so perhaps I'll try a few with lead in that range also. I've also found a bunch of comments elsewhere that 10 +/- gr Unique is a nice load for lead magnum rounds, and is the powder I use for my .44 spl jacketed loads and what I'll try with these projectiles also. I guess that's why we reload, I'll try a few of each and see what I like!

I think I remember Divernhunter posting he ran 10gr of Unique as his target .44RM load, but don't quote me on it. Which lead me to make a strong mental note not to piss him off, because that is about 200fps faster than what I use as a target load.... ;)