Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   AR10/AR15 - Are there any barrel breaks or flash hiders for non-threaded Bull Barrel? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=190538)

WeekendWarrior 06-03-2009 12:49 PM

AR10/AR15 - Are there any barrel breaks or flash hiders for non-threaded Bull Barrel?
 
I have an 18" Bull barrel DPMS upper that I want to throw a compensator or flash hider on. It is a non-threaded barrel. Are there any breaks that can clamp on to the end of the barrel? If so, who makes them?

unusedusername 06-03-2009 12:57 PM

I would be really hesitant to attach a compensator in that way... if it moves out of position and a firing bullet hits the compensator then you will have trouble...

There are smiths that will thread a bull barrel. That's the way I would go.

WeekendWarrior 06-03-2009 1:34 PM

Good point, I was thinking it might anchor to a hole that can be drilled in the top of the barrel with and alan bolt or something like that. I figured it would require some gunsmith work, or at least a drill press to attach it so it wouldn't come off. Regarding Threading the barrel, its got a target crown on it, so im not sure if this would be the best solution, as the barrel dips in towards the center when looking at the business end. I'm also afraid of problems with accuracy after the threading process.

My buddy and I both have AR-10s, his with a break, mine without. The difference between the two is pretty extreme, and I get a lot of barrel rise in comparison (His has a bull barrel as well)

domokun 06-03-2009 1:47 PM

Why not just have the barrel threaded and then a brake attached the conventional way?

TZL 06-03-2009 1:50 PM

just get your barrel threaded, save you lots of money and trouble in the future

bobfried 06-03-2009 1:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior (Post 2577307)
Good point, I was thinking it might anchor to a hole that can be drilled in the top of the barrel with and alan bolt or something like that. I figured it would require some gunsmith work, or at least a drill press to attach it so it wouldn't come off. Regarding Threading the barrel, its got a target crown on it, so im not sure if this would be the best solution, as the barrel dips in towards the center when looking at the business end. I'm also afraid of problems with accuracy after the threading process.

My buddy and I both have AR-10s, his with a break, mine without. The difference between the two is pretty extreme, and I get a lot of barrel rise in comparison (His has a bull barrel as well)

Any competent gunsmith will be able to thread the barrel for you and not affect the accuracy. Matter of fact, anyone that would touch one of my barrels would be able to put a better target crown than any factory barrel can have. The big name is ADCO if you want a national level company to do the work for you without being too expensive.

WeekendWarrior 06-03-2009 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfried (Post 2577398)
The big name is ADCO if you want a national level company to do the work for you without being too expensive.

How much does something like that cost? I am definitely interested in doing this, just have no idea where to start looking for someone reputable to do it.

sharper1106 06-08-2009 2:17 PM

you can get the barrel threaded so you can add muzzle breaks and flash hiders or take a flash hider or muzzle brake to a gun smith and ask them to weld it onto your barrel

WeekendWarrior 06-11-2009 7:25 AM

Yeah, I have already ordered a PWS DTNC barrel break from Alamo tactical, and am talking to a number of people about getting the threading done.

alpha_romeo_XV 06-11-2009 9:21 AM

I have gotten a lot of use/value out of a $59 drill press from Harborfreight Tools, both gun mod's and other projects around the house. Below pic has a bull barrel MB install that did not require threading. Took 5 minutes, drilled 3 detent holes about 1/8" deep and Locktited the allen screws. It has survived hundreds of rounds. Got it at the local gun show so don't recall the vendor. Has not affected barrel harmonics, still shoots 1 MOA. I put it on to reduce dust cloud that I got when shooting prone off the ground(dirt) with the bipod. Redirects blast dust to allow me to see impact.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...Rbenchrest.jpg

WeekendWarrior 06-11-2009 9:54 PM

Nice install +1 for doing it yourself! I know someone with a drill press but I would rather try it for the first time on someone elses rifle :hurray:

domokun 06-11-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior (Post 2620109)
Nice install +1 for doing it yourself! I know someone with a drill press but I would rather try it for the first time on someone elses rifle :hurray:

To thread the barrel on a AR10/AR15, you're going to need to remove the barrel from the upper receiver to thread it and then reinstall the barrel onto the upper receiver once you're done threading the barrel. It'll cost about $65-100 in tools to properly remove the barrel without damaging your AR. Just keep this in mind when you're ready to DIY thread your barrel.

Cyclepath 06-11-2009 11:44 PM

You can use something like the link below but threading is still the better option. Ar15barrels is a frequent poster here and his shop is in So. Cal. You may want to pm him.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=635904

God Bless The Mauser 06-11-2009 11:49 PM

I'm going to send mine off and have it threaded, maybe even shortened from 24" to 20".


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.