Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Young Calgunners (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   18 soon and intent on exercising my 2A rights! (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=712826)

Trenton 02-26-2013 2:20 PM

18 soon and intent on exercising my 2A rights!

Hello all,

So my 18th birthday is on the 14th of april, and I've already made my selection regarding my first firearms (Remington 870/ Ruger 10-22). I've also taken all the steps necessary to jump straight into responsible firearm maintenance and ownership (I've purchased cleaning supplies, lockable cases, gunsmithing tools, researched the breaking-in process, etc.). However, I have ran into one large issue. My parents are firm believers that individuals who own firearms put themselves at a higher risk of injury to themselves and to those around them. As a strong believer in my 2A rights, I try over and over to persuade them that there are a population of responsible, law abiding gun owners who exercise extreme safety and care when handling firearms. Unfortunately, my statistics and facts are going in one ear and out the other. Although I am hell-bent on purchasing my first rifle in a few short weeks, I will not disrespect their decision as the owners of the house, and bring a firearm onto their property without their consent. What other options do I have on exercising my 2A rights? Should I attempt to store my weapons elsewhere? Are there certain things that I could say to them or show them that might sway their beliefs? (I've already listed that cities who have higher gun ownership have lower crime rates, etc.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Trenton

whyhatchu 02-26-2013 10:21 PM

Haha I was exactly in the same boat as you. I'm currently 19, on my 18th birthday I went out and paid for an AR. I just toss it in the safe, they know it's there but they don't have to see it. Maybe buy a safe before the rifle? Being young you probably want the rifle first but a safe is very very important. I also got them to finally accept that I'm planning on enlisting after I get a degree so I guess that helped a bit. My parents still refuse to learn to shoot or even come near my firearms but they don't mind too much. They were stubborn but keep trying and don't give up. Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Yugo 02-26-2013 10:25 PM

I agree safe first firearm second! I hate reading stories here on this forum of people getting there stuff stolen EVEN WITH THE SAFE! So buy a safe BOLT IT DOWN as much as possible and then go buy what ever you want to fill that bad boy!

gemoose23 02-27-2013 4:47 AM

While Not ideal: If you Have a Truck (That You purchased yourself)

When I was a "youth" I bought my 1st motorcycle against my parents wishes... I ended up parking my motorcycle on the city street in-front of the house out of respect for my parents house and rules.

I'd assume if you purchased your own car, you could set that up with a safe etc. I would also consider "smaller" firearms, until you can get out on your own, have a safe inside the home etc. Remington 870's arent going anywhere... a Ruger 10/22 Takedown is in a smaller package.

EdgarCervantes 02-27-2013 8:53 AM

My mother used to be the same way, until one day my friend and I

went shooting and I decided to take my mother, once she saw how

safe and enjoyable it was to actually go target shooting she changed

her mind! now she actually likes guns and somtimes goes shooting

without me!

modernchaos 02-27-2013 3:45 PM

One additional thought might be for you all to head to a range during a competition, or other similar event. You guys will get to take it all in, lots of guns, lots of shooting, all safe, and fun! I was amazed at how friendly the local competition shooters were at the range I am NOW a member of, and how "cool" everything was as well. My two cents, FWIW. :cool:

Orvis09 02-28-2013 5:00 PM

I'm not allowed to have guns on base, the only option is for me to store them in the armory where Security Forces (MPs/cops) will **** around with my weapons because they are stored actions open, unlocked. I'm not about to let some 18 year old touch my $1,400 Kimber when I'm not present. So, do what I did, buy a small storage unit specifically for your guns. The storage unit I got is 5'x5', $53 a month including insurance. Well worth it.

HighWildFree 02-28-2013 5:07 PM

Maybe if you take a Hunter Safety Education Course it will change their minds.

sealocan 02-28-2013 5:47 PM

it used to be that's some gun ranges or shooting clubs would have lockers for people to store their guns on a long term basis. if I were you I would look into that and call around to your local gun clubs. a long long time ago I had the same problem. my only tip with dealing with a parents are be respectful but determined and of course willing to come to a reasonable compromise. good luck.

Trenton 03-01-2013 4:35 PM

Thanks guys, this is all very valuable advice. I appreciate it :)