Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Elk?. (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=652988)

mbz dr 12-05-2012 5:46 PM

Elk?.

Just getting information. Where are Elk located in Ca? I'm in Stockton and want to start prep work . Thank you

ScottB 12-05-2012 5:58 PM

Look at the elk zones in the DFG Big Game application book (on the website). If you are planning on just buying a tag or expect to draw one in short order, you have a lot to learn. You can wait a lifetime and never draw. Literally. There may be some PLM tags available, but if so, be prepared to part with some large amounts of cash. Tejon charges $20K for a PLM Rocky Mountain elk bull hunt

RandyD 12-05-2012 5:59 PM

Your probability of getting drawn for elk is very low. I submit an elk hunting application every year for Colorado, and get drawn every year. Better scenery, and higher probability of taking game.

Coyotegunner 12-05-2012 8:39 PM

Have you already drawn a once in a lifetime tag?As someone mentioned odds are kind of like winning lotto.I see alot in the Owens Valley south of Bishop on 395.Lots of private land,but I understand the owners work with people through DFG to get access.I may be wrong about that,but if money is involved for a trespass fee.Well there you go.I hunted Calif just for deer,up until we were counting more lions on trail cameras than deer.My friends and I have gone totally out of state for big game.Try Colorado like the other fello mentioned.We do Idaho and Utah.Every couple of years,Montana.The guy I have hunted with for 29 years,puts in for several states.He has gotten moose in Idaho,nice deer in Iowa and Kansas.
Anyway,good luck on your elk hunt

Grizzled Bastard 12-05-2012 10:00 PM

As mentioned, unless you have serious coin to throw down for a private management elk, you'll likely die waiting to get drawn. With that said, I have a friend up here that actually drew a Bull Elk tag from the La Panza herd here in SLO County. He was able to score on public land, too, which is very unusual. The crazy thing was his wife drew the tag the very next year. It was crazy luck. She got hers on public land near the Carrizo Plain from days on horseback. What usually happens is these herds get wrapped up on private land during the season and even though you have a tag, the landowners will charge you at least $5k in trespass fees. I know several guys that have got their Elk Grand Slam and had to pay $15-20k to get that last one they needed, the Tule Elk we have here.

Depending on which unit, you can usually always score a Cow Elk tag in CO. Just pay the $$.

DirtyDave 12-06-2012 6:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbz dr (Post 9859448)
Just getting information. Where are Elk located in Ca? I'm in Stockton and want to start prep work . Thank you

Finding the Elk is the easy part. Drawing the Tag is the real challenge

2012 Big Game Digest. Read the section on Elk
http://dfg.ca.gov/publications/digest/

Bull Elk 12-06-2012 9:03 AM

ELK

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyotegunner (Post 9860748)
Have you already drawn a once in a lifetime tag?As someone mentioned odds are kind of like winning lotto.I see alot in the Owens Valley south of Bishop on 395.Lots of private land,but I understand the owners work with people through DFG to get access.I may be wrong about that,but if money is involved for a trespass fee.Well there you go.I hunted Calif just for deer,up until we were counting more lions on trail cameras than deer.My friends and I have gone totally out of state for big game.Try Colorado like the other fello mentioned.We do Idaho and Utah.Every couple of years,Montana.The guy I have hunted with for 29 years,puts in for several states.He has gotten moose in Idaho,nice deer in Iowa and Kansas.
Anyway,good luck on your elk hunt

I don't think you were referencing a "once in a life time CA tag", as they do not exist. I've drawn twice in CA and hope to again. I've hunted elk for about 35 years and I am not aware of any once in a life time elk tags in the US, but I could be wrong. Sheep, goats, moose, yes, lot's of states have once in a life time tags, but not elk.

ScottB 12-06-2012 9:49 AM

In CA only Desert Bighorn is once in a lifetime by decree. For most folks the draw odds, especially since the point system was put in place, make elk tags de facto once in a lifetime tags.

Coyotegunner 12-06-2012 10:43 AM

By once in a lifetime I mean,I do not have enough years in my life to draw twice.Having a friend that lives in Utah and finally got drawn for a trophy area we kill spikes and cows in every year,it took him 14 years.He is 78 now,so I am assuming he will not draw again.I buy the point every year,so if my luck goes like his I only have 11 years to go.It is pure torture to stand within 20yds of a 350 plus bull and shoot a arrow into a cow or spike.In Utah,Idaho,Montana,we are public land hunting.
I am glad for folks that draw these tags.I hope their hunt doesn't turn into well,if you have enough cash.I knew there were trespass fees,but I had no idea they would be at least $5K.
Good Luck to the op in getting a tag and a elk

ScottB 12-06-2012 11:29 AM

La Panza is notorious for obscene tresspass fees. That's why the draw odds are relatively low. I have a real problem with excessive tresspass fees in CA. The animals are owned by the people of California and permission to hunt them is granted by the State and a fee is paid for the privilege. However, once the elk jump over a fence they essentially become private property and ability to hunt them is ransomed to the few tag holders that have maybe a week to fill a tag they will likely never draw again. I am all for property rights, but I think some fairness and order needs to be imposed on this situation so that tag holders can actually harvest these publicly owned animals.

lewdogg21 12-06-2012 12:54 PM

Oregon has the second largest Elk population behind Colorado.

RandyD 12-06-2012 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottB (Post 9864001)
La Panza is notorious for obscene tresspass fees. That's why the draw odds are relatively low. I have a real problem with excessive tresspass fees in CA. The animals are owned by the people of California and permission to hunt them is granted by the State and a fee is paid for the privilege. However, once the elk jump over a fence they essentially become private property and ability to hunt them is ransomed to the few tag holders that have maybe a week to fill a tag they will likely never draw again. I am all for property rights, but I think some fairness and order needs to be imposed on this situation so that tag holders can actually harvest these publicly owned animals.

I understand your perspective, but what you are implying is that the state intervene and dictate to landowners what they can charge a hunter. We already have enough regulations and we don't need another set of regulations that diminishes a property owner's right to use his land as he desires.

MJB 12-06-2012 3:45 PM

Most of Tejon's big bulls come from the Tehachapi Mts.

I don't like land owners gouging us but what the hell you going to do? That's why I hunt them out of state. Even the guides and other employes at Tejon can't afford their hunts.

Look into a cow hunt they are cheaper and if your in the rut it's just like hunting the bull but you shoot a cow. I have a cow hunt next week for 250......they charge 20k for their bulls.

5shot 12-06-2012 4:10 PM

Basically the best Ca. elk hunts to put in for are probably Hunter Ligget and the various Owens Valley hunts. Hunter Ligget has a small annual fee for entrance, and although the Owen's Valley herds look like they're on private ranches, they're not. Those ranches are owned by LA DWP, and leased to the ranchers. 95% of the ranchers allow you to hunt the elk on their land, and support the hunt, because the elk eat all their alfafa.
The bull elk tags may really be a once in a lifetime draw for most, but there's 10 antlerless tags for every bull tag. I've drawn 2 Tenemaha antlerless tags in the last 10 years. No trophies, but great meat hunt.

5shot 12-06-2012 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJB (Post 9865445)
Most of Tejon's big bulls come from the Tehachapi Mts.

I don't like land owners gouging us but what the hell you going to do? That's why I hunt them out of state. Even the guides and other employes at Tejon can't afford their hunts.

Look into a cow hunt they are cheaper and if your in the rut it's just like hunting the bull but you shoot a cow. I have a cow hunt next week for 250......they charge 20k for their bulls.

From what I understand, the Tejon elk are not native to the area. They were transplanted by the ranch, and are Rocky Mountain elk, not Tule elk.

spectr17 12-06-2012 5:06 PM

Put in for a cow hunt, you'll get drawn pretty quick and fill the freezer with some tasty elk meat. Bow elk hunt would be even faster to draw.

huntandski 12-06-2012 10:05 PM

Go to Colorado to hunt elk.

guns_and_labs 12-07-2012 8:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bull Elk (Post 9863105)
I've drawn twice in CA and hope to again.

Impressive and fortunate. I've put in for CA elk every year for decades and never got one. I have the maximum number of preference points, and fortune still eludes me.

Oh well, they have plenty of elk in Montana and elsewhere, while I wait for my CA tag.

5shot 12-07-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guns_and_labs (Post 9869810)
Impressive and fortunate. I've put in for CA elk every year for decades and never got one. I have the maximum number of preference points, and fortune still eludes me.

Oh well, they have plenty of elk in Montana and elsewhere, while I wait for my CA tag.

I guess it depends on the zone. The Tenemaha zone has 4 periods with around 10 antlerless tags in each period, and only 1 bull tag. The first time I drew was a year or two before the point system started, so it was pure luck. The second time was a couple years ago with max points, either 8 or 9.

Bull Elk 12-07-2012 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guns_and_labs (Post 9869810)

Both elk were drawn before the point system came into play. With max points there are lots of tags you can draw, but you can't be too picky. I hunt Colorado and have been fortune to harvest a good number of elk.

1meanchevy 12-07-2012 9:03 PM

Quote:

Elk Grove?

Grizzled Bastard 12-07-2012 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1meanchevy (Post 9874527)
Elk Grove?

None there. But there are a few in Elk, CA. along the north coast. ;)

mbz dr 12-08-2012 6:51 AM

any recombination for guided hunt ?

pieeater 12-08-2012 7:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbz dr (Post 9876027)
any recombination for guided hunt ?

For Tule elk in Ca? I know a couple guys one is 12,500 the other is 20,000 on trophy bulls. Unless you absolutely need a tule to complete your slam i,d just go to Colorado or Oregon, etc , etc for a Rocky. There is a limited number of Tules so the plm tags are a little pricey and the draw tags are hard to draw.

chris 12-08-2012 8:39 AM

Quote:

go out of state. the chances of getting drawn here is amlost nil.