Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Can My Friend get in Trouble (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=643305)

CXR89 11-12-2012 11:52 AM

Can My Friend get in Trouble

Long story short, we went to a diner to get some food when he realized he forgot his wallet. He backed out and hit a metal light up sign. He went inside to speak to the manager in charge. The manager came outside to llok at the damages and said not to worry about it as long as he doesn't get his (my friend) insurance involved, and that he was good to go. Under these circumstances has my friend done the most he can to legally do to uphold his responsibility in an accident like this. I said yes, but I wanted to see what you guys said. Thanks

fullrearview 11-12-2012 11:58 AM

Get it in writing. Nothing wrong with civil compromises, but people have gone after others after the fact...

winnre 11-12-2012 12:48 PM

Sounds like his insurance would go up due to wrong sign placement.

RedFord150 11-12-2012 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CXR89 (Post 9709020)
...Under these circumstances has my friend done the most he can to legally do to uphold his responsibility in an accident like this. ...

Yes.
Your friend notified his 'victim' of the incident. The 'victim' declined to take his info. Your friend has no obligation to force 'victim' to take the info.
Hopefully, your friend got the name of the guy (first and last) and maybe took a cell phone pic of the damage. The cell phone pic can be sent to his e-mail account to document date and time.
My only concern was the property owner would pursue this at a later date and try to inflate the damages. This is why the pic is important.
Good luck.

Ron-Solo 11-12-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedFord150 (Post 9709403)
Yes.
Your friend notified his 'victim' of the incident. The 'victim' declined to take his info. Your friend has no obligation to force 'victim' to take the info.
Hopefully, your friend got the name of the guy (first and last) and maybe took a cell phone pic of the damage. The cell phone pic can be sent to his e-mail account to document date and time.
My only concern was the property owner would pursue this at a later date and try to inflate the damages. This is why the pic is important.
Good luck.

Agreed.

Notorious 11-13-2012 6:17 AM

Agreed.

Armed24-7 11-13-2012 7:43 AM

The law requires parties to exchange information and contact your insurance companies, at a minimum.

If both parties declined to do so, he won't have to worry about any criminal issues.

Is the manager trying to settle this person to person? If that is the case, the only thing I can see is a civil issue if the manager is not satisfied with the payments. It would seem fishy to me. I would not put it past the manager to pocket the cash and tell the owner of the diner it was a hit and run.

I do agree with what RedFord150 said in regards to taking photos, getting the manager's name, and having a paper trail. At least you will be protecting yourself in case the manager pisses backwards.