Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Semiauto Rifles Gallery (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Non Traditional AK's (Not for Purist & wood people). (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=490625)

guitar-nut 03-03-2012 12:52 PM

Which adapter piece do you guys prefer for mounting an AR stock? I just put a midwest industries rail on my 74, now I'd really like to swap my stock for a magpul CTR or something similar.

Richard Erichsen 03-03-2012 1:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitar-nut (Post 8150828)
Which adapter piece do you guys prefer for mounting an AR stock? I just put a midwest industries rail on my 74, now I'd really like to swap my stock for a magpul CTR or something similar.

The Vltor is the best IMO. The others are mostly plastic and will crack or fall apart if (unlike the rest of the weapon) it were "used vigorously."

http://www.solartactical.com/VLTOR-A...-RE-47-351.htm

R

FiveSeven 03-03-2012 2:36 PM

There's only two plastic ones and even they are made very tough. More durable then Kvar or Tapco plastic ones.
All others are metal/aluminum-billet.
For the most part they are all pretty good but I like This one the best (on the previous bottom page). The drawback for some is that rear tang needs to be cut off and it's not something that a lot of people would be willing to do.

Be aware that This one for example will interfere with most side scope mounts. The sling ear will prevent in lining up with the rails. Other then that it's a great adapter, I cut off left ear on mine and just using stock's QD sling mount.

Krebs stock is a VERY good one as well. It be my choice if I had to do another one.

ZX-10R 03-06-2012 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Erichsen (Post 8150928)
The Vltor is the best IMO. The others are mostly plastic and will crack or fall apart if (unlike the rest of the weapon) it were "used vigorously."

http://www.solartactical.com/VLTOR-A...-RE-47-351.htm

R

Agreed. It is stout and well made. I use an MOE on it but am swapping it out for an ACS.

SURVIVOR619 03-10-2012 3:22 PM

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...9/DSCN0059.jpg

Missing upper handguard b/c the one shipped to me from CSS didn't fit...

Still hella fun to plink away with though!!! :cool2:

Quickdraw Mcgraw 03-21-2012 10:24 AM

TAG...I'll be BACK, With a pic!!

RaiThioS 03-24-2012 8:52 PM

http://www.3dstratum.com/raithios/dewey.jpg

osis32 03-27-2012 6:43 PM

doa

jack111 03-30-2012 6:59 PM

un-traditional may be lighter and add some extra features but classic AK's will always be my favorite.

sean michael 03-30-2012 8:02 PM

Wow. You guys have some really nice rifles. Great jobs! Really creative and look mean.

BretByron 03-30-2012 9:28 PM

Tag!

DudeDoug2000 03-31-2012 4:26 PM

Ultimak gas tube, Ultimak "long" tri rail, US PALM AK Battle grip, Vltor tube, Magpul MOE stock, Tromix extended charging handle, Real grip pod, Paint by me Krylon tan and black camo paint

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...0/DSCI0279.jpg

FiveSeven 03-31-2012 6:31 PM

^
Nice.
Just need to get some sort of optic for it. Maybe a red dot.

I installed Leupold x2 pistol scope on my Ultimak, might post some pic later on.
I like it a lot, it's a semi-auto version of a scout rifle in a way....sort of.

chead 03-31-2012 7:22 PM

Not quite traditional, not totally tactical.. Yep, that means I'm posting in both threads! (Kidding)

http://i.imgur.com/xbX2pl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kv8o8l.jpg

DudeDoug2000 03-31-2012 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiveSeven (Post 8321660)
^
Nice.
Just need to get some sort of optic for it. Maybe a red dot.

I installed Leupold x2 pistol scope on my Ultimak, might post some pic later on.
I like it a lot, it's a semi-auto version of a scout rifle in a way....sort of.

Yeah probably going with a Primary Arms Micro red dot, Im debating I really like the MI side rail scope mount they say It will be available again In a month It rides really low barely above the top cover and then run a scope but as It sits with a 10/30 mag in It's weight Is 9 lbs. So Im leaning towards the red dot.

antmarc217 04-02-2012 9:19 AM

A lot of bad *** AKs here! Can't wait to post up my new project!

DudeDoug2000 04-02-2012 1:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmarc217 (Post 8330001)
A lot of bad *** AKs here! Can't wait to post up my new project!

That AK you have in jail will look good all tacticooled out

antmarc217 04-02-2012 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DudeDoug2000 (Post 8331306)
That AK you have in jail will look good all tacticooled out

Thanks! Definitely agree!
It was supposed to be available today by 11:52am. Apparently my rifle wasn't even shipped there yet. :confused: total bummer. They claim it will be there tomorrow.
Anyways, yeah super stoked with my new AK. I know stock will be replaced. Will hang on to its og quadrail for now. Its almost identical to the utg quadrail, minus an extra inch or two of top rail. Looking to replace it with a midwest industries rail for 1/3 co witness for a red dot. This thread is definitely inspirational.

And to @Fiveseven. Awesome AKs! The one with the ubr is sick! Which stock adapter did you use for that set up?

DudeDoug2000 04-02-2012 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmarc217 (Post 8331606)
Thanks! Definitely agree!
It was supposed to be available today by 11:52am. Apparently my rifle wasn't even shipped there yet. :confused: total bummer. They claim it will be there tomorrow.
Anyways, yeah super stoked with my new AK. I know stock will be replaced. Will hang on to its og quadrail for now. Its almost identical to the utg quadrail, minus an extra inch or two of top rail. Looking to replace it with a midwest industries rail for 1/3 co witness for a red dot. This thread is definitely inspirational.

And to @Fiveseven. Awesome AKs! The one with the ubr is sick! Which stock adapter did you use for that set up?

That sucks but at least it's almost ready for ya, I like the front sight gas block combos I had one ordered from krebs but that didn't work out so I did it up as seen, post some pics when you get it!

antmarc217 04-02-2012 3:58 PM

I had just posted an entry on the M10 762 thread in the forums..
Long story short, I won't get mine tomorrow. Turners is locating another one for me.

And @Fiveseven. Nvm.. I'm guessing u used that stock adapter from carolina shooters. New question is... did u switch out the adjustable tube to fit the round tube for the ubr?

FiveSeven 04-02-2012 6:13 PM

^
I have two SOCOM stocks in two different set ups if that's what your referring to (non ubr)

On milled AK, I cut off both rear tangs and used ACE adapter + round adapter to tube stock, after proper alignment and castle nut adjustment I drilled-tapped side of the stock with 6-32 bolt and lock-tite on all the part.
Same goes for Saiga SOCOM stock, rear tang cut off, adapter secured with top trunnion bolt/nut and side receiver holes... and like the other one, I also drilled-tapped stock from both sides this time with 6-32 1/2" bolts. It's not in the photos, I'll post pics of it in more detail.
On milled AK, the stock is adjustable for length.
On Saiga it's a long stock already so I use it fully collapsed, it can still extend but it would be useless for me with extra length.
Both stocks are newer designed and do not have problems like their earlier models where locking channel was no shallow.

antmarc217 04-02-2012 9:27 PM

Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated.
And yes, my mistake I meant the socom. Had the UBR in my head because they look similar and it is a stock I am considering... which I know needs a round receiver

FiveSeven 04-18-2012 3:55 PM

Scout type setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...4/6778ec12.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...4/363b4cf7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...4/cac41cf8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...4/0676d05d.jpg

Drilled/taped left-right side of adapter to stock.
With two bolts in it, it's very secure.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...4/a5358699.jpg

Dazzlebert 04-19-2012 12:22 PM

Here's mine, Just finished last month!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-j...330_173159.jpg

MrPlink 04-20-2012 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack111 (Post 8316634)
un-traditional may be lighter and add some extra features but classic AK's will always be my favorite.

they are actually usually heavier, depends on how tacticool'd you go though.

FiveSeven 04-20-2012 7:17 AM

^

All mine are lighter or about the same without optics.
The biggest difference being is the milled one, WAY lighter/handier in it's modernized form compared to previous wooden one.

But there's a point in where it becomes unpractical or even unnecessarily burdensome without much gain.
Full steel rails, bipods, dual optics, flashlight size lasers, etc etc....
I say there's a fine line (maybe a gray area as well) when it comes to it.


But hey, it's just my opinion and at the end its all about whatever floats your boat even if it's old two by four with nails in it.

Richard Erichsen 04-21-2012 7:15 PM

I've weighed mine with all the aluminum rails fitted and it's about 9 oz. heavier than the original furniture even with nothing mounted (good rings are heavy). The plastic and wood are often lighter, but it's the configuration that determines how heavy it's going to be. The moment you put a rail on something, there is an assumption that you are going to fit an optic of illumination of some kind. Heavy duty rings add weight, the optic itself will generally add over a lb. unless it's the smallest and lightest of the red-dot sights, some of which aren't really up for hard use and will break the first time you take them out to a 3 day tactical carbine course, or maybe just drop your rifle.

With a skeleton stock and iron sights, most of your weight will be in the front end. You can save many ounces with a combination front sight/gas block. The Venom Tactical is my favorite, others prefer the shorty AK105 and Krinkov types. My thought is if you are going to do it, why go half way? https://www.venomtactical.com/shop/g...53blvkc1qhmsb4

antmarc217 04-28-2012 8:12 AM

Current set up:
Troy rail covers
Afg2
Vltor stock adapter
Magpul STR
U.S. Palm 10/30 mag
Everything else is stock. Handgaurd will eventually be swapped. After a few hundred more rounds I'll toss some type of optic on it.
Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...428_085801.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...428_090153.jpg

antmarc217 04-28-2012 4:45 PM

^ weighs almost 8lbs as is with empty mag

H2O MAN 04-29-2012 10:44 AM

Norinco T56SHTF AKM photo album

Mr. Gillious 04-29-2012 10:46 AM

damn.... this thread is giving my gun d![K a boner

love aks and all these pics

MindBeyondAverage 04-30-2012 12:36 AM

Just started to exercise my second amendment rite. Heres one of the boys.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_1141.jpg

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_1153.jpg

This is basically what my budget allows. I'll get an Eotech sometime this year.

dbo31 04-30-2012 7:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmarc217 (Post 8484766)
U.S. Palm 10/30 mag

How are these? Worth the coin? Tight fit?

Hopy 04-30-2012 7:26 AM

Looking for a little advice guys. I have tired of the AR platform and am thinking about jumping into the AK, but do not know very much about them. Can you give me your advice on what a solid AK brand would be? With the AR's, I am used to building my own, but with the AK, since it is a new thing for me, I am looking for a strong base that I can make minor mods to in the beginning. I hear names like Galil, Draco, Siaga, Cugir, HK. Now the HK is the only product I know since I own a couple HK handguns. Here are my thoughts.
1) For price, I would like to keep it around $800.00 (before I make mods).
2) Will be used for fun at the range and close quarters if SHTF
3) My current AR's are all 223/5.56 chambered (not sure if that would lean me towards an AK in 556)
4) I am really not sure if I like the classic AK wood or the sleak all black.
5) Something that at some point will allow the addition of a CTR type stock with Buffer.
6) I am not planning on crawling through mud with it, although I would like it capable of that type of use. Just in case.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

dbo31 04-30-2012 7:32 AM

REALLY love my Interarms Polish underfolder..thing runs flawless..put on an extended brake so I can fold it..can get one at RRC firearms..great guys.

FiveSeven 04-30-2012 7:54 AM

Good looking rifles antmarc217 and MindBeyondAverage

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopy (Post 8494190)
Looking for a little advice guys. I have tired of the AR platform and am thinking about jumping into the AK, but do not know very much about them. Can you give me your advice on what a solid AK brand would be? With the AR's, I am used to building my own, but with the AK, since it is a new thing for me, I am looking for a strong base that I can make minor mods to in the beginning. I hear names like Galil, Draco, Siaga, Cugir, HK. Now the HK is the only product I know since I own a couple HK handguns. Here are my thoughts.
1) For price, I would like to keep it around $800.00 (before I make mods).
2) Will be used for fun at the range and close quarters if SHTF
3) My current AR's are all 223/5.56 chambered (not sure if that would lean me towards an AK in 556)
4) I am really not sure if I like the classic AK wood or the sleak all black.
5) Something that at some point will allow the addition of a CTR type stock with Buffer.
6) I am not planning on crawling through mud with it, although I would like it capable of that type of use. Just in case.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Saiga with front end (handguard/muzzle end) already done sells for under $500. The rest of the mods are very easy and not expensive. Just like AR's the possibilities are endless on how you want it.
5.56 are more difficult to find mags for, or should I say quality mags.
5.45 is equal to 5.56 but cheaper and mags are easy to get.

AKSOG 04-30-2012 7:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopy (Post 8494190)
Looking for a little advice guys. I have tired of the AR platform and am thinking about jumping into the AK, but do not know very much about them. Can you give me your advice on what a solid AK brand would be? With the AR's, I am used to building my own, but with the AK, since it is a new thing for me, I am looking for a strong base that I can make minor mods to in the beginning. I hear names like Galil, Draco, Siaga, Cugir, HK. Now the HK is the only product I know since I own a couple HK handguns. Here are my thoughts.
1) For price, I would like to keep it around $800.00 (before I make mods).
2) Will be used for fun at the range and close quarters if SHTF
3) My current AR's are all 223/5.56 chambered (not sure if that would lean me towards an AK in 556)
4) I am really not sure if I like the classic AK wood or the sleak all black.
5) Something that at some point will allow the addition of a CTR type stock with Buffer.
6) I am not planning on crawling through mud with it, although I would like it capable of that type of use. Just in case.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If you want a .223 platform go with a converted Saiga or a Galil.

antmarc217 04-30-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbo31 (Post 8494137)
How are these? Worth the coin? Tight fit?

Don't remember the exact price but they're around $30.
Nice tight fit. The thing is, my AK came with these metal plates inside the magwell (the area where most AKs have the dimples) which are meant to decrease mag wobble. So I have no wobble with the 3 types of mags I have (u.s. palm, pro mag and tapco), but I had to file/shave part of the tapco mags to make it fit. Although they're polymer, they seem real tough, tougher than the tapcos. I think the circle 10s are great also.
And this is my first AK so I'm not to familiar with the fit on other aks.

@Fiveseven. Thanks! You're still the inspirational one around here!
@mindbeyoundaverage. That's a nice lookin paracord sling, might have to grab me one of those.

dbo31 04-30-2012 1:00 PM

yea ive got the m10 like you which has the internal dimples and work like a champ. I have some Bulgy steel mags that are a tight fit but heavy. Ill try on of the Us Palms too see the difference a good polymer mag makes if any

Midtown Gunner 05-01-2012 1:31 AM

FiveSeven,

If you aren't getting paid to take pictures, you ought to be. Your photos are spectacular!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.