Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   California handguns (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   California AR-pistol legal (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=390460)

Terryw123 01-29-2011 11:01 AM

California AR-pistol legal

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for the actual laws reguarding this. Mainly if it has to be a stamped pistol lower or can you start with a stripped lower? Thanks

Cokebottle 01-29-2011 11:25 AM

Does not have to be stamped "pistol".

But it can't have ever been legally considered a "rifle" or a "long gun".

That is the problem in California. When you buy a stripped lower, it is input into the DROS system as "long gun". It cannot be input as a "handgun" because it is not on the roster. There are limited ways to obtain/build an AR pistol in California.

1 - Machine your own 80% lower, assemble the handgun with a zero-round sled and mag lock, then remove the sled and insert magazine (this is a legally important step).

2 - PPT transfers are roster-exempt, so you can purchase an AR pistol from someone locally.

3 - Purchase a single-shot AR pistol from a dealer. After purchase, remove the zero-round sled and insert magazine.

4 - Theoretically, if you are a cop or other roster-exempt person, you can have a stripped lower processed on the DROS as a "handgun". I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Terryw123 01-29-2011 2:39 PM

Thanks Cokebottle. Are you aware of any dealers that would sell just a stripped pistol lower or do you have any other info on machining my own lower?

Cokebottle 01-29-2011 2:53 PM

You can't just buy a stripped "pistol" lower since it is not on the roster, unless you are a cop or otherwise exempt from the roster.
Riflegear and many other dealers sell completed AR pistols in a legal single-shot configuration.

On making your own from an 80%, there are a ton of threads about it here on Calguns and other places that a quick search will turn up.
It is best if you have a mill, but it is possible to do with a good quality drill press if you take your time. It may not be pretty, but it will work.

Here's mine:

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/XD9/PLOWER2.JPG

Swoop 01-29-2011 3:30 PM

Great info

Terryw123 01-29-2011 4:09 PM

Again thanks Coke. Great info. I guess I will just have to wait to buy a complete pistol. I kinda wanted to piece it together.

TurboChrisB 02-11-2011 8:50 AM

Quick question.....

I finished a couple of AR 80% lowers recently. One of them I would like to use as a pistol build. Assuming I assemble it with a "zero-round sled" and then remove it to use a mag. Do I need to keep the sled as "proof" that it was done? Anyone selling zero round sleds for AR's? I have a Mac 10 clone I bought that came with one....but I probably couldn't find it now if I had to....wondering how much of an issue this could feasibly be. Guess I could fab one out of wood?

I intend to stamp or have engraved some sort of identifying mark/ serial # on the side of my finished lower, is it recommended that I "Mark" it as a pistol somehow?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 5714525)
Does not have to be stamped "pistol".

That is the problem in California. When you buy a stripped lower, it is input into the DROS system as "long gun". It cannot be input as a "handgun" because it is not on the roster. There are limited ways to obtain/build an AR pistol in California.

1 - Machine your own 80% lower, assemble the handgun with a zero-round sled and mag lock, then remove the sled and insert magazine (this is a legally important step).

2 - PPT transfers are roster-exempt, so you can purchase an AR pistol from someone locally.

3 - Purchase a single-shot AR pistol from a dealer. After purchase, remove the zero-round sled and insert magazine.

4 - Theoretically, if you are a cop or other roster-exempt person, you can have a stripped lower processed on the DROS as a "handgun". I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Cokebottle 02-11-2011 9:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboChrisB (Post 5795418)
I finished a couple of AR 80% lowers recently. One of them I would like to use as a pistol build. Assuming I assemble it with a "zero-round sled" and then remove it to use a mag. Do I need to keep the sled as "proof" that it was done?

No need. At the AK build parties, everyone building a pistol uses the same sled.
Quote:

Guess I could fab one out of wood?
Or just buy a spare 10 rounder and block it to zero-rounds.
Quote:

I intend to stamp or have engraved some sort of identifying mark/ serial # on the side of my finished lower, is it recommended that I "Mark" it as a pistol somehow?
There is no need unless you intend to sell it, or voluntarily register it (to add to your CCW?).
"Pistol" is not needed, however, if you do engrave/stamp, the BATFE is specific in what is required and the depth/size of the markings.

The serial number and model number can be anything that you would like, but they also require the city and state of manufacture, and the name of the manufacturer. This cannot be a fictitious name... in the case of a home builder, it must be your first and last name.

TurboChrisB 02-11-2011 9:33 AM

EXACTLY the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Cokebottle 02-11-2011 5:49 PM

I should quote myself here to add....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 5795594)
The serial number and model number can be anything that you would like,

It is strongly recommended that the model number not match any receivers that are listed by name.
Yes, they are listed by both manufacturer and name, but there could be some stressful times over marking a receiver "AK-47", "Panther", etc....

wildhawker 02-11-2011 8:33 PM

Quote:

Nothing in the PC precludes "long guns" from being configured into handguns. That said, there's enough ambiguity without clarification of this issue both at Federal and state levels to indicate that it's at least imprudent.

Quote:

It can be input as as a handgun, but the DROS system will not accept such unless you're Roster-exempt (or the firearm is Roster-exempt, e.g. single-shot), otherwise DOJ would cancel the DROS as improper.

Quote:

It happens fairly often.

Itsmemrj 04-30-2014 3:16 PM

I am interested in building an AR pistol... I cant seem to find a "legal" length for the barrel. I heard a friend say 8.5 inches is the shortest you can legally have. By the way it would be made from an 80 percent lower that I completed myself.

Arkangel 04-30-2014 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 5795594)

The serial number and model number can be anything that you would like, but they also require the city and state of manufacture, and the name of the manufacturer. This cannot be a fictitious name... in the case of a home builder, it must be your first and last name.

I marked mine with the fictitious name of a company which incorporated my last name.

I never read any PC or case law that stated such markings to be unlawful.

Arkangel 04-30-2014 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itsmemrj (Post 13992972)
I am interested in building an AR pistol... I cant seem to find a "legal" length for the barrel. I heard a friend say 8.5 inches is the shortest you can legally have. By the way it would be made from an 80 percent lower that I completed myself.

There is no minimum barrel length, however there is a maximum barrel lenght as CA PC states a pistol has a barrel of 16" or less.

Most people just go with what they believe will function reliably.

I went with a 10.5" barrel with a carbine gas system.

Quiet 05-01-2014 7:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkangel (Post 13993144)
There is no minimum barrel length, however there is a maximum barrel lenght as CA PC states a pistol has a barrel of 16" or less.

Most people just go with what they believe will function reliably.

I went with a 10.5" barrel with a carbine gas system.

Needs a minimum 6" barrel length in order to be legally built due to CA's unsafe handgun laws.

Bullitt01 05-01-2014 9:30 AM

Is the EXTAR EXP-556 legal to own in Ca?

ChrisBrooklyn 05-01-2014 9:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 5715381)
You can't just buy a stripped "pistol" lower since it is not on the roster, unless you are a cop or otherwise exempt from the roster.
Riflegear and many other dealers sell completed AR pistols in a legal single-shot configuration.

On making your own from an 80%, there are a ton of threads about it here on Calguns and other places that a quick search will turn up.
It is best if you have a mill, but it is possible to do with a good quality drill press if you take your time. It may not be pretty, but it will work.

Here's mine:

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/XD9/PLOWER2.JPG

It's beautiful in a way.

Quiet 05-01-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullitt01 (Post 13998062)
Is the EXTAR EXP-556 legal to own in Ca?

There is a CA legal version of it.
It is sold as a single-shot pistol (maglock + 0 round magazine).
After it is transferred to you, you can legally use it with 10 round magazines.

RifleGear, in SoCal, had them on sale (approx $450) awhile back.

Bullitt01 05-01-2014 12:14 PM

Hmmmm, might be the way to go if looking for a 556 pistol....thanks!

Wykyd 05-01-2014 4:39 PM

So no limit on the 8.5 barrel length? I had read the ATF said that was the smallest i thought? Do I have to pin the compensator and weld it on a 7.5? Any legal annotations to support this so i can print them and keep with a build i want to do?

ej20WRXie 05-01-2014 9:05 PM

Quote:

how legal is it to purchase one from a dealer out of state and ship it in to a CA ffl?
or would it be easier to buy one already in the state? and if thats the case any recommendation on dealers in the bay area/nor cal?

scott_kart 05-02-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet (Post 13997167)
Needs a minimum 6" barrel length in order to be legally built due to CA's unsafe handgun laws.

Is that for the SSE? After its out of the 10 day jail time, could it be shorter? Not that I would do anything less than 7 1/2", just a question.