Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Jobs Wanted Jobs Offered (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Gunsmithing Carreer (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=674691)

SFCRangerDoc 01-09-2013 11:35 AM

Gunsmithing Carreer

I was wondering. If I were to entertain becoming a gunsmith, what would I need to do to become one? Do I need to apprentice? I'm incredibly handy with tools and machinery and have done a lot of my own garage gunsmithing. I just was curious if anybody knew how to start down that path. I'd love to be able to quit my day job and become a gunsmith. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum section. Mod's please move if it is.

Doc

shooterm1 01-13-2013 2:40 PM

ask yourself this question; "Have you ever known a happy gunsmith?"

I doubt it ...... I know that I've never met one.

The main reason why is, that everyone wants you to be the low cost provider, with on-time service and yet offer the highest quality work on the planet.

Cheaper, Faster, Better ...... and anything less, is less.

wpage 01-13-2013 2:45 PM

They need to be licensed around here and profit margins look slim...

nickyrr 01-13-2013 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooterm1 (Post 10199980)
ask yourself this question; "Have you ever known a happy gunsmith?"

I doubt it ...... I know that I've never met one.

The main reason why is, that everyone wants you to be the low cost provider, with on-time service and yet offer the highest quality work on the planet.

Cheaper, Faster, Better ...... and anything less, is less.

How many gunsmiths do you actually know? I don't know a lot but I know quite a few that are happy and content. Sometimes its not always about the money. I understand a lot of people don't want to pay more bit thats people in general.

But to answer your question... I'm guessing its always best to start at attending a school. Be it a community college or a private one.

Chucker71 01-21-2013 6:05 AM

Nicky, you could always call the guys at Lassen CC in Susanville to see what they say. I'm in the GS program now and like what I'm learning. There are some in the class that once finished they could go out and start their own business immediately but that's not the norm. Most (me included) would need to work for a mentor.

Also, keep in mind that every GS program has its challenges and differences. Lassen's program is on the expensive side with the guns, tooling, and materials coming out of your pocket. Anything you screw up costs you $$$$, which is how it would be in your shop anyway.

Lassen's program focuses on the diagnosis and correction of a problem. I have researched some other programs and found they focus heavily on custom gun building. Two schools of thought. You do get taught how to custom build a rifle, but as a full service GS I think you'd be seeing more of the smaller projects cross your door.

My .02
Chucker