Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Bighorn and Rhino safe's, reviews, sales, opinions and pictures. (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=556295)

Blarson 04-04-2012 12:45 PM

Bighorn and Rhino safe's, reviews, sales, opinions and pictures.
 
I have been looking to buy a new gun safe for a while now, and Costco appeared to have the best deals. After much research, I decided to sway away from the Canon variety, as the steel is very thin and for extremely large safes, they weigh very little in comparison to most other reputable safes. Also there is a great youtube video featuring what appears to be a canon safe being broken into in less than two minutes with just a crow bar and a pry bar. (Youtube "gun safe break in"). After comparing the Big Horn safes with the Canon safes, I found that much smaller safes weighed several hundred pounds more than the Canon's. Unfortunately, by the time I wanted to buy, I found that the Big Horn safes (Rhino Metals) had just ended a big sale. I was eyeballing their largest model, the 7144EL and It had just been on sale for $1500 down from $1900. I called Rhino metals and they stated they did not project the 7144EL to go back on sale. I was bummed and started searching elsewhere.

Here is the update:
I called them again today and learned the following;
The 7144EL is going to be on sale on Costco.com starting on April, 09, 2012. The customer service rep. stated it might not be as good of a sale as before, but it WOULD be on sale.
They will also be offering a new model on Costco in the beginning of May, which will be as tall as the 7144EL (71" I think) but not quite as wide or deep. It should be about the same size as the 6039EL but taller. He did not tell me the price of the new model, but he did tell me that the new model would go on sale in late May for around $1200. I suspect the new model wont go on sale until the other models return to their normal pricing.

I did not ask if the other Rhino or Big Horn safes would be on sale as well, but I am assuming they will put most of their models on sale on the 9th!!

Hope this helps you guys!
Brad Larson

P.S. Please don't take offense to my opinion on the Canon Safes. It is just my two cents, as there are plenty of happy canon safe owners out there.

gesundheit 04-04-2012 1:22 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Brad

stevied 04-05-2012 1:06 PM

You should call Sturdy Safe. They are much nicer than the Costco safes and you can easilly customize it. The Costco ones aren't really fire safe like they say either.

mle 04-05-2012 3:41 PM

Was gonna order the Rhino 5942 2.5hr safe last night from Costco but didn't... Went back today and it's gone from the website. Hope it's back up on the 9th!

Blarson 04-06-2012 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mle (Post 8350808)
Was gonna order the Rhino 5942 2.5hr safe last night from Costco but didn't... Went back today and it's gone from the website. Hope it's back up on the 9th!

I hope my announcement didnt keep you from getting the safe you wanted! I hope the model you want will also go on sale on the 9th. If you call Rhino metals, their customer service is great, and they will likely tell you what their plans are for that particular safe. Or you can just wait and see on monday.

Ryanorielly 04-06-2012 6:57 PM

That YouTube video is crap and everyone knows it. I have a Canon safe and I don't take offense to your view but if you actually took that video seriously.....you got sold.

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

Blarson 04-07-2012 4:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanorielly (Post 8357999)
That YouTube video is crap and everyone knows it. I have a Canon safe and I don't take offense to your view but if you actually took that video seriously.....you got sold.

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

Im definitely willing to accept the fact that "I got sold". Maybe there was some trick photography that is not visible to my gullible eyes. But the video appeared legitimate to me. With enough leverage anything can be bent. And what I said had less to do with the "Security on sale" video and more to do with the size/wight and feature comparison. The Canon 5940 (40" wide) is 12 gauge steel and weighs 475 pounds, with 6 locking bolts (1.25") on two sides (top and side) and 30 minutes of fire protection. The BigHorn B6039EL (39" wide) is 10 gauge steel and weights 830 pounds, with 10 locking bolts (1.50") on all four sides, and 70 minutes of fire protection. Almost twice the weight, fire protection and # of locking bolts. For ME it is worth the extra $400-500 for the extra security. But for many people, the Canon Safes are great and plenty secure for their needs; Just not mine. Once again, this is just my two cents, not meaning to offend any Canon owners.

Ryanorielly 04-07-2012 10:50 PM

You're missing the point. No one in there right mind would buy a safe of that size or any size for that matter and not bolt it down. That right there throws the leverage out the window. And no one would store their safe in the middle of a 30 foot warehouse where a burgular can easily tip your safe over and use a DIGGING bar to pry open your safe. That is, unless you want to make a YouTube video to prey on peoples fear into buying a specific product. No trick photography here just old fashion sales tactics.

Sent from my swiper using Tapatalk

Ryanorielly 04-07-2012 10:54 PM

And once again no offense taken. To each his own. I'm sure your safe will be the right one for your needs and that's what's most important.

Sent from my swiper using Tapatalk

dg29 04-08-2012 8:16 AM

Your observations of the costco brand of cannon safes are in regards the cannon economy line of safes made overseas. Do yourself a huge favor and drop by a cannon safe retailer, or better yet, swing by their business in San Bernardino and inspect their "Made in America" safes. Keep in mind that no matter what safe you decide on, it will still be vulnerable on the sides and back to a grinder and a thin metal cutoff wheel.

Blarson 04-08-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanorielly (Post 8363849)
You're missing the point. No one in there right mind would buy a safe of that size or any size for that matter and not bolt it down. That right there throws the leverage out the window. And no one would store their safe in the middle of a 30 foot warehouse where a burgular can easily tip your safe over and use a DIGGING bar to pry open your safe. That is, unless you want to make a YouTube video to prey on peoples fear into buying a specific product. No trick photography here just old fashion sales tactics.

Sent from my swiper using Tapatalk

I totally agree. Most smart owners WILL bolt their safes down, and wont have a huge warehouse to allow would be criminals the opportunity to pry with as much leverage as was shown in the video. However, regardless of the obvious liberties which were given to the "thugs" in the video, it still enlightened me to the fact that any safe can be opened, and some ARE definitely more secure than others. Needless to say, even the bighorn safes, given the same set of biased circumstances would probably buckle under the pressure. But, I hope that with the extra security afforded with the "costco" line of safes, might mitigate some of the weak points and take much more time to be entered by force.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dg29 (Post 8364834)
Your observations of the costco brand of cannon safes are in regards the cannon economy line of safes made overseas. Do yourself a huge favor and drop by a cannon safe retailer, or better yet, swing by their business in San Bernardino and inspect their "Made in America" safes. Keep in mind that no matter what safe you decide on, it will still be vulnerable on the sides and back to a grinder and a thin metal cutoff wheel.

Yes, all of my comments posted thus far are in regards to the safes offered on Costco.com. While researching which safe to purchase, I visited the Cannon web site and browsed their safes which hit prices beyond $4000. I really wish I had the money to buy a safe which is much more impenetrable. My goal was to buy the best and largest safe I could for around $1500. So I set out to find the best "bang for the buck" in that price range and settled on the Bighorn 7144EL. I apologize for generalizing brands like I did. Cannon and Rhino metals both offer very nice American made safes, which unfortunately come at a much higher premium.

Blarson 04-09-2012 10:57 AM

UPDATE:
As expected, I've been monitoring the Costco website anxiously waiting for the sale they promised to pop up. And NOTHING! So I called Rhino metals again this morning and learned the following:

Due to a last minute issue with the manufacturer, the sale was CANCELLED! I did however lean more about the new model due in may.

Dimensions: 72" high, 36" wide and 26" deep. It will have slightly less fire protection, 45 Minutes at 1200 degrees, and will be made with thinner steel, 2.5mm instead of their usual 3mm (approx. 10 Gauge). It will still weigh about 750 pounds.

This safe will go on sale on May 10th, and will be offered on sale for $999, with a regular price of $1399.

I am very disappointed that the sale scheduled for today did not happen, and I'm sure some of you are as well. I apologize for my involvement in this snafu, with what ended up being a bad update (It was legitimate when I posted it, up until two days ago). What bothers me more is the fact that they canceled the sale, with no scheduled sale to replace it! So I am back to square one wondering if I should just bite the bullet and pay full price, look elsewhere, or play the waiting game a little longer. When I spoke to Rhino Metals in January they had no sales scheduled then either, and then they planned one for today. So???

FatCity67 04-09-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blarson (Post 8370562)
UPDATE:
As expected, I've been monitoring the Costco website anxiously waiting for the sale they promised to pop up. And NOTHING! So I called Rhino metals again this morning and learned the following:

Due to a last minute issue with the manufacturer, the sale was CANCELLED! I did however lean more about the new model due in may.

Dimensions: 72" high, 36" wide and 26" deep. It will have slightly less fire protection, 45 Minutes at 1200 degrees, and will be made with thinner steel, 2.5mm instead of their usual 3mm (approx. 10 Gauge). It will still weigh about 750 pounds.

This safe will go on sale on May 10th, and will be offered on sale for $999, with a regular price of $1399.

I am very disappointed that the sale scheduled for today did not happen, and I'm sure some of you are as well. I apologize for my involvement in this snafu, with what ended up being a bad update (It was legitimate when I posted it, up until two days ago). What bothers me more is the fact that they canceled the sale, with no scheduled sale to replace it! So I am back to square one wondering if I should just bite the bullet and pay full price, look elsewhere, or play the waiting game a little longer. When I spoke to Rhino Metals in January they had no sales scheduled then either, and then they planned one for today. So???

Apologize for what? Trying to educate your fellow Cal Gunners on a potential deal?

I say thanks for the info and so should others.

CnCFunFactory 04-09-2012 11:24 PM

There are gun safes, and then there a SAFES at nearly 6000 pounds nobody is gonna be moving it especially if it's bolted down.:43:

http://www.deansafe.com/fxorsaourlat.html

Blarson 04-09-2012 11:53 PM

Wow. That thing is awesome. If only it didn't cost a $1.30 per pound! Hahaha! Although, the longer I have to wait to buy a freakin safe the more money I am feeling willing to pay. But I doubt I will hit $7500! Still awesome!

dg29 04-10-2012 12:42 AM

I'm not sure where you're located but at times it can be worth it to check the safes out here: http://www.raahauges.com/
From time to time he gets scratch and dent safes that are marked down from Cannon. Just remember to purchase a safe that is at least twice as big as you could ever imagine needing. Even at that rate, it will only take you about a year and a half to outgrow it!

Blarson 04-10-2012 9:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dg29 (Post 8375284)
I'm not sure where you're located but at times it can be worth it to check the safes out here: http://www.raahauges.com/
From time to time he gets scratch and dent safes that are marked down from Cannon. Just remember to purchase a safe that is at least twice as big as you could ever imagine needing. Even at that rate, it will only take you about a year and a half to outgrow it!

I checked out the site. Thank you for the recommendation. I live in the Bay Area (Libville), so Corona is a little out of the way for me.

Blarson 04-10-2012 9:53 AM

I am still a little frustrated with Rhino Metals for reneging on their proposed sale. However, I have come up with a plan. This thread has gotten more attention that I expected, and it has made me curious. How many of you are considering buying a Bighorn safe if they go on sale on Costco.com? If you could give me a +1 or something of the like if you are, I can call back Rhino metals with some proverbial ammo, and tell them how many people I know are just waited for a good sale to buy. Maybe if we have enough people who want them, I can call back and get another sale scheduled. It may be a long shot, but who knows???

A-J 04-10-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blarson (Post 8370562)
I apologize for my involvement in this snafu, with what ended up being a bad update (It was legitimate when I posted it, up until two days ago). What bothers me more is the fact that they canceled the sale, with no scheduled sale to replace it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blarson (Post 8376571)
I am still a little frustrated with Rhino Metals for reneging on their proposed sale.

First, there is no need to apologize. Unless you were the reason the sale was cancelled.

Second, I don't know that what Rhino did can be called "reneging" since there was no real "aggreement" from which they backed out. Now, if they had run an ad and that sale never came to fruition, I could see getting a little hot about it. In retail, sales that are scheduled to start often end up being cancelled, and only the company holding the sale can say why. Just my .02.

Blarson 04-10-2012 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-J (Post 8377675)

Second, I don't know that what Rhino did can be called "reneging" since there was no real "aggreement" from which they backed out. Now, if they had run an ad and that sale never came to fruition, I could see getting a little hot about it. In retail, sales that are scheduled to start often end up being cancelled, and only the company holding the sale can say why. Just my .02.

I totally understand that many retail based companies have to cancel planned sales for purposes/reasons beyond their control. I was less frustrated for the cancelation and more for the fact that Rhino did not apprize me of any rescheduled sale. I understand that they did not have to tell me the sale was planned to begin with. And, it shows great customer service to me that they are willing to share this information; especially when most companies would never advertise/discuss prospective sales, as it could jeopardize the possibility of current full price sales. I guess I am just bummed that I don't have a safe being shipped to my house as we type. And I am hoping they go on sale again soon, or that I can find something better within the same price range first. (Between $1000-1700)

Blarson 04-11-2012 3:29 PM

I called Rhino metals again today and spoke with Shane who was most helpful. I apprised them to the fact that this thread has been viewed over 1100 times. This seamed to perk his and the owners interest, which brought them to view the thread themselves. He was able to update me with the following:

UPDATES:
May 10th the New model "36" will be released on sale on Costco .com

June 14th the popular Bighorn 19ECB (The smallest of the lineup) will go on sale again on Costco.Com

Unfortunately, there is still no scheduled sale for the 6030EL, the 6039EL or the 7144EL. Although, their sale schedule is only projected through July and these models may go on sale later in the year, but no promises.

HERE IS THE BEST PART:

Being that this thread has drawn much attention, the owner has agreed to set up a group buy at a discounted rate for us CALGUN'ers. If we can gather enough people who want to buy one of these safes (Shane related the owner gave no specific number, but an example of 10) then he will set up a special sale just for the group through a different distributer (other than Costco). We have not discussed prices yet, however I will try and see if we can get the sale prices offered in December. The 7144EL was listed for $1500 down from $1900, the 6039 was listed for $1000 down from $1400, and the 6030EL was reduced but, im not sure as to how much. If I can secure these rates or rates within $50-100, and free shipping, who would be in?

The group buy would have to be for each safe(IE, about ten potential sales for a particular model). If you are looking to buy and want in on this exclusive group buy discount, then please post your interest on this thread. Please be specific as to which model you want so I can keep a running tally.

I am looking to buy the 7144EL, So I just need like 7-9 more of you who want a huge awesome safe and we GOT IT!

Or help each other out with the other models!

Please keep in mind the model 19ECB will already be going on sale, so don't include that one.

Hopefully, we can get something going here. Please, spread the word to any other related forums, so we can get everyone in on a good deal.

stevied 04-11-2012 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blarson (Post 8370562)
UPDATE:
As expected, I've been monitoring the Costco website anxiously waiting for the sale they promised to pop up. And NOTHING! So I called Rhino metals again this morning and learned the following:

Due to a last minute issue with the manufacturer, the sale was CANCELLED! I did however lean more about the new model due in may.

Dimensions: 72" high, 36" wide and 26" deep. It will have slightly less fire protection, 45 Minutes at 1200 degrees, and will be made with thinner steel, 2.5mm instead of their usual 3mm (approx. 10 Gauge). It will still weigh about 750 pounds.

This safe will go on sale on May 10th, and will be offered on sale for $999, with a regular price of $1399.

I am very disappointed that the sale scheduled for today did not happen, and I'm sure some of you are as well. I apologize for my involvement in this snafu, with what ended up being a bad update (It was legitimate when I posted it, up until two days ago). What bothers me more is the fact that they canceled the sale, with no scheduled sale to replace it! So I am back to square one wondering if I should just bite the bullet and pay full price, look elsewhere, or play the waiting game a little longer. When I spoke to Rhino Metals in January they had no sales scheduled then either, and then they planned one for today. So???

You should do some more research. I garuntee that the safe won't stand a chance in a fire for 45 minutes. Sturdy's safe at the same size in 5gauge are 1000lbs and not fire rated. You have to get fire rating as an additional option.

bill_k_lopez 04-11-2012 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanorielly (Post 8363849)
You're missing the point. No one in there right mind would buy a safe of that size or any size for that matter and not bolt it down. That right there throws the leverage out the window. And no one would store their safe in the middle of a 30 foot warehouse where a burgular can easily tip your safe over and use a DIGGING bar to pry open your safe. That is, unless you want to make a YouTube video to prey on peoples fear into buying a specific product. No trick photography here just old fashion sales tactics.

Sent from my swiper using Tapatalk


They all cut right open with a plasma cutter....who needs to pry them open, just get it loaded in the moving truck and drive away..

-------

The "fire protection" is just how much drywall they stuff inside....this can easily be done yourself after you purchase.

BigMak911 04-11-2012 4:13 PM

I may be interested in the B6039EL depending on WHEN exactly the group buy/money exchange happens... The 7144EL is a bit too rich for my blood.

malvares 04-11-2012 7:13 PM

I'd also be interested in the B6039EL...

AAShooter 04-11-2012 7:59 PM

Sounds interesting . . . keep us posted. It would be sweet if we could work through an out-of-state supplier to avoid sales tax.

mag360 04-12-2012 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CnCFunFactory (Post 8375036)
There are gun safes, and then there a SAFES at nearly 6000 pounds nobody is gonna be moving it especially if it's bolted down.:43:

http://www.deansafe.com/fxorsaourlat.html

for the protection that thing offers, I want to think that is a deal. People pay $3,000 bucks for a 7 gauge safe residential security container from the major makers all day long.

mag360 04-12-2012 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez (Post 8385254)
They all cut right open with a plasma cutter....who needs to pry them open, just get it loaded in the moving truck and drive away..

-------

The "fire protection" is just how much drywall they stuff inside....this can easily be done yourself after you purchase.

maybe the black powder EXPLOSIVE stored inside sticker would help?

CnCFunFactory 04-12-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mag360 (Post 8394477)
for the protection that thing offers, I want to think that is a deal. People pay $3,000 bucks for a 7 gauge safe residential security container from the major makers all day long.

I have seen it in person and it is intimidating to say the least. When (not sure when it will be) I get around to building a home this is going in the basement and the house will be built around it. Figure as a last line of defense it probably can't be beat for the money.

Saym14 04-13-2012 12:37 AM

had great service and really love my Costco Cannon safe.

Blarson 04-14-2012 8:41 PM

So I plan on keeping a rolling log of the number of people who are interested in each safe model. Hopefully this log will help people see how close we are to getting this special group discount.

Bighorn 7144EL:
1

Bighorn 6039EL:
4

Bighorn 6030EL:
0

Interested, but undecided on which one:
3

Total:
8

With the numbers we have so far, we are very close and prob. only need a few more to get the group buy. So keep them comeing!

Faded 04-14-2012 11:42 PM

How will shipping and delivery work?

mle 04-15-2012 3:48 PM

I'll take a 6039. But depends on how much they can beat Costco's price with the group buy.

Blarson 04-15-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faded (Post 8406919)
How will shipping and delivery work?


Quote:

Originally Posted by mle (Post 8409718)
I'll take a 6039. But depends on how much they can beat Costco's price with the group buy.


I will call tomorrow and try to finalize the details. With your two additions, 7 may be the magic number. If it is an acceptable number, then anyone else who wants in, let me know soon so you wont miss out!

AAShooter 04-16-2012 6:25 AM

Here is a link to one person's review of the 6039EL:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...owtopic=103622

Faded 04-16-2012 8:19 PM

That 6039 looks nice having been eyeing it. I never bought it yet because I haven't spent much time researching how these compare to other safes with price and value. Any ideas?

MrNiceGuy 04-16-2012 10:48 PM

I'm in for 6039 if it's $1K delivered.

Blarson 04-16-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faded (Post 8417506)
That 6039 looks nice having been eyeing it. I never bought it yet because I haven't spent much time researching how these compare to other safes with price and value. Any ideas?

Everyones opinion of safes will probably very, but here is my .02 having not owned this gun safe personally yet.
I have looked at about a dozen or so safe manufacturers and I have found that all of the Bighorn safes offer the most bang for the buck. You can find cheeper safes that are bigger and less secure. You can find smaller safes that are more expensive and more secure. However, I found the Bighorn safes offered on costco to be an exceptional value! Especially if we can get them to put them on sale!
6039EL
39" wide, 24" deep, 59" tall, 830 pounds, 3mm steel(apprx 10 gauge), 10 locking bolts on all four sides, 70 minutes of fire protection@1200 (some dispute this, but the disputers have not tested it like Rhino Metals have, so ???), spring loaded re-locker, 1.5 inch locking bolts, lifetime warranty, awesome customer service(I and others have experienced this), and dozens of reviews with nearly all of them being 5 stars. All for $1400!!

I have not yet found a better value for this kind of safe. If some knows of another safe manufacturer which offers a safe with the same security and positive features at a cheaper price, please let me know. But so far I am UTL.

Hope this helps!

Blarson 04-16-2012 11:16 PM

UPDATE:
Called Rhino again today and again spoke with Shane. He spoke to the "Powers that be" and basically was unable to give me any definitive details.....I know, it sucks. He did tell me that they cannot sell the safes independently, and have been in contact with several distributors to try and get this deal going. I pressed to try and get something more solid, however, all he could tell me was to keep an eye on the costco website and the Rhino website over the course of this next week. He told me if I don't see anything pop up, then to call him back in a week; which of course I plan on doing. And I will of course keep you all apprized to any progress. Patience IS a Christlike attribute I guess right?? Time to practice it!

In the mean time, keep the interest up and keep letting me know if your "in" on one of these safes and Ill add you to the list. The more we get on board, the greater our chances of snagging a great deal on what appears to be a great safe.
Thanks
Bradley Larson

California Safe Outlet 04-17-2012 11:34 AM

Hey Guys,
We are California Safe Outlet and we just got on as BigHorns newest dealer. Were very excited about this new line of safes, and we wanted to kick off the line with a wholesale price sale! I'm gonna get right to it. Here are the prices we can offer on this first order and first order only! These prices are only good until our first load is shipped around the 1st week of may. Below are the prices we can offer and the shipping options for you.

7144EL $1377 Regular Price $2049
6039EL $1044 Regular Price $1499
6030EL $851 Regular Price $1199
6022EL $579 Regular Price $849
5928(19ECB) $568 Regular Price $849

These prices are pickup at our store in Murrieta, Ca. We can offer a couple of different shipping options at additional cost.
1. Regular Freight, curbside from the factory. Prices start around $100 and go up depending on area.
2. Delivery and installation service, we would bring the safe to you and install it, in-house or garage, boltdown available. Additonally we go over the locking mechanism, setup the interior and haul away all trash. Its a full service install. Price starts at $140 and go up depending on mileage and services required.
This is our absolute lowest pricing we will ever make available. We want to start of our new dealership with a good start so this is basically wholesale pricing we are offering. Let me know what questions you guys have and I hope we are able to do some business with you fellow calgun members. Thank you for your time. Please call or PM with any questions about shipping or about the safes themselves.

California Safe Outlet
951-600-9507


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.