Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=327)
-   -   Wild Sports in Orangevale Closing (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1406798)

rsrocket1 12-07-2017 10:56 AM

Wild Sports in Orangevale Closing

Another one bites the dust!
This is not a sad situation, the owner wants to retire so rather than trying to sell the business, they are simply clearing everything out and shutting down when they feel it's cleared out enough.

I went in to buy a Ruger American Ranch 16" in 5.56/.223 on sale for $319 and got the last one. This is going to be a lightweight plinker to compliment my AR's so if I can get 1 MOA off a rest or 3 MOA offhand, I'll be happy. The trigger felt good and the action was smooth compared to my 788 (pretty low bar to compare it to, I know), but that gun is an absolute tack driver in .308 so if this is a decent shooting gun I'll be happy.

Anyway, if you get their ads and see something you want, go to the store right away because their long gun racks are only about 20-25% full and their handgun case only has about a dozen guns left. Hard and soft long gun and pistol cases are 30% off so $30-$34 for an AR tactical bag is pretty good and the generic plastic handgun case for $7.52 OTD was good too.

RNE228 12-07-2017 12:12 PM

I have shopped there since they were across the street next to the Boardwalk(used to be Cowtown) and the current location was a grocery store(Vans). Bought all kinds of stuff; first rifle, first pistol, ammo, gear etc.

The owner is retiring, but they have also had bad reviews, poor service for a while now; they had really gone downhill.

Sad to lose them after so many years, but sad the way they were the last few years too.

negolien 12-07-2017 1:07 PM

Hey I got 3 guns from there 2 pistols and 1 rifle so :<). Probably got the best deal ever on their last Savage Ashbury .308 at $1111 out the door dros + Taxes before $150 rebate WOOT!!!! Gonna use the money I saved to get a decent precision stock, Scope Rings, 20 moa base and muzzle break for it.

rsrocket1 12-07-2017 3:26 PM

I've bought quite a number of guns there and I never had bad service or attitude from them. Of course, I usually knew what I wanted and made it pretty obvious that I wasn't just kicking the tires or shooting the bull. When I go into a LGS and ask to handle a gun, I've already done the research on it and can field strip it in front of them after asking permission as well as asking permission to pull the trigger. My questions are usually "how many mags come with this gun?" and "do you have any more in stock" in case I don't like the way the display model looks. I really don't need any more help from the guy behind the counter at that point.

They had pretty good prices (comparable to internet prices on their sale guns and about $100 less than BPS) and I loaded up on their CCI and Federal primers when they were regularly on sale for just over $23/k, but no more :(

condor 12-07-2017 6:04 PM

I was around when they first started and were in cahoots with Adolph Blake a jobber in the S.F. Bay area. Never did any shopping but lately I went in to buy a Glock 22, and for some reason they didn't like my ID and I walked. Just last year I bought a gun from another Calgunner, and he wanted to do the PPT there. Bubba behind the counter didn't like my ID again, and was a real jerk about it. So we went to Just Guns and were treated with respect and no problem with the PPT. My ID was perfect. I vowed never to do business with them or recommend them to anyone in the future.... Now it looks like I don't have to to do either... RIP :-)

dpr 12-12-2017 8:13 AM

They've had terrible service for at least the last 20 years. They made it hard to even give them money even when they had what you needed. Sort of the DMV of gun shops. Good riddance!

BillyGoatCrawler 12-12-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpr (Post 21019026)
They've had terrible service for at least the last 20 years. They made it hard to even give them money even when they had what you needed. Sort of the DMV of gun shops. Good riddance!

Exactly my feelings.

Big Ben 12-12-2017 10:33 AM

Always sad to see a gun store close, but if one has to close, I'm glad its Wild Sports. Terrible service, and they seem to make up policies as they go.

Went in with my dad once when he was buying a new handgun. When the salesperson handed his ID back to him, my dad went to put it back in his wallet, and then pulled a $10 bill out and handed it to me (he was repaying me for lunch just before going into the store). The clerk freaked out, said we were doing a straw purchase (still don't get that logic -- the guy doing the DROS handed money to me, not the other way around), and refused to complete the transaction. He absolutely refused to listen to any explanation or reasoning - just decided he wasn't going to sell to my dad.

The manager finally came over and listened to what happened. He agreed with the logic, that (a) the money was flowing the wrong direction, and (b) $10 was an unlikely pay-off for a straw purchase. Manager approved the transaction, and dad finally got his gun, but it was just a ridiculous experience.

Flyin Brian 12-15-2017 11:30 AM

I went there once as the Buyer in a PPT... what a freaking nightmare. It took me 2 full hours of jumping through the fake hoops they created. I agree it is sad to see any gun store closing but if I had to pick one to sacrifice... this would be it!!!

Drivedabizness 12-15-2017 12:45 PM

I've purchased several guns and quite a bit of fishing gear from them over the years.

I'm a "low overhead" kind of customer. I do my research ahead of time and ask to see exactly what I'm looking for.

The guy at the pistol counter is one of those know it alls who spreads a lot of FUD.

Won't miss them - they forgot that being polite and professional doesn't cost you anything.

crufflers 12-15-2017 1:34 PM

I bought a bunch of guns there like my old Ruger P95DC and MKII Gov Target. I remember stocking up there on evil items pre94 or whenever like the 25 round Butler Creek mags for the 10/22's. They were always OK with some characters that worked there. Have not been in there in years though. Have been tempted to grab some ammo web specials like the .45 ACP, but limits are pretty low.

rbetts 12-15-2017 1:55 PM

Karma has a way of working everything out. . . .(shrug)

FullMetalJacket 12-15-2017 2:18 PM

Bought a number of guns from them over the years. Sad to see them go.

negolien 12-15-2017 4:20 PM

I got a 308 savage Ashbury for 997 before rebate sooo.... LOVE ME SOME WILD SPORTS.

Thanatos2203 12-15-2017 4:54 PM

Wouldn't sell me 7.62x54R back when I was 19 because "Didn't somebody somewhere make a pistol in that caliber?"

That was the time after the last time they got my money.

Sportsman's Warehouse in Rancho all the way. Wish it was there at the time, but I drove to Rocklin to avoid Wild Sports.

jeffrice6 12-15-2017 5:20 PM

Sad to see them go ~ Stocked well & usually had good prices! Some employees were great & some were dicks...... Only 2 things I disliked was their hour long process for purchasing a firearm & that they would not give you a price over the phone.

k1dude 12-15-2017 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffrice6 (Post 21034225)
Sad to see them go ~ Stocked well & usually had good prices! Some employees were great & some were dicks...... Only 2 things I disliked was their hour long process for purchasing a firearm & that they would not give you a price over the phone.

Well said.

mike kays 02-23-2018 3:22 PM

I agree service sucks..sold two pistols using them and it was a long process both times..also when I first started looking at lever action rifles I had no clue, I was eyeing a new stainless Marlin 1894SS 357/38 went back a few times..each time they were happy to let me handle it, but forgot each time to tell me the front sights were crooked..I didn't even see that until I was ready to buy and brought in a friend to take a good look for me..he pointed it out right away and when we questioned the salesman he smiled and said he was aware of it. Why he would keep it on the shelf baffles me..I wouldn't buy worms there after that. No integrity. Good riddance~