Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Sacramento Chapter (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=289)
-   -   Going shooting at mormon emigrant trail (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=772897)

Seniex 06-03-2013 4:45 PM

Going shooting at mormon emigrant trail

Hi I was thinking about taking my parents shooting this coming weekend and was wondering if Mormon Emigrant trail was open or if they closed it down due to the high fire risks this season, anyone know or know who to call to find out?
Thank you Kindly :)

PS Sorry for the bad grammar and spelling they are not my strong points.

74c5 06-03-2013 7:23 PM

There have been some bad stories coming out of that general area regarding a heavy handed ranger. You might consider Sacvalley.org near Ione or, Nevada open range.

Seniex 06-04-2013 10:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up. We will probably go to Eldorado Rod and Gun Club. Just a question though what have you heard about the ranger doing? One of my buddies was telling me that a ranger up near there was confiscating guns for not having them locked up properly away from ammo when they are not in use. I just thought he was messing with me.

74c5 06-04-2013 1:15 PM

That is at least what I've been hearing. I think there was a thread somewhere on here and also on advrider....or an advrider name I recognized posted on here. Can't recall which.

springfieldXD71 06-04-2013 10:57 PM

I wouldn't try it. Find a range. I was almost fined at Prairie City SRA for a "loud" dirt bike so bringing a gun in these conditions up there wouldn't be pretty. BTW, same Rangers patrol these areas so they have the same attitudes.

Seniex 06-05-2013 10:21 AM

Thank you for the advice and heads up about the rangers I really appreciate it.

NytWolf 06-05-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seniex (Post 11505452)
Thanks for the heads up. We will probably go to Eldorado Rod and Gun Club. Just a question though what have you heard about the ranger doing? One of my buddies was telling me that a ranger up near there was confiscating guns for not having them locked up properly away from ammo when they are not in use. I just thought he was messing with me.

Just go on pirate4x4 and read the Rubicon subsection. He was patrolling the Rubicon, but after some incidents (the small ones are mentioned), he was reassigned to the Emigrant Trail area.

jmpeal 06-05-2013 3:31 PM

Was just up there last weekend and a couple weekends before that off one of the Bonetti Roads. One weekend three families went. Shot all day with all kinds of firearms and no problems. Even BBQ'd :-)

There were other people shooting around as you can hear the shots in the woods. Planning to go again soon...

springfieldXD71 06-06-2013 12:30 PM

Rangers are understaffed so you can probably get away with stuff now as opposed to the recent past.

magnusson 06-06-2013 7:12 PM

Bonneti is open, I was their their last week. Officer Marcus has been relocated per ENF Employees so you shouldn't have any trouble with the forest ranger or El Do county sheriffs. I'd shoot Mormon over a range anyday, the family will have fun.

mrc44 06-11-2013 11:19 AM

Ya, I say go just remember to clean your trash up please! Every time I go up there we have a blast. Actually last time I was there someone in the distance was blowing stuff up big time!
Make sure you watch out for hikers, no joke people have walked right through where we were shooting like it was normal..

Hoologan 06-11-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 74c5 (Post 11501066)
There have been some bad stories coming out of that general area regarding a heavy handed ranger. You might consider Sacvalley.org near Ione or, Nevada open range.

I don't understand. Is there something illegal about shooting in a National Forest?

We used to shoot there all the time as kids.

74c5 06-11-2013 1:10 PM

Nothing illegal. Just some ranger trying to make stats....or something.

Seniex 06-12-2013 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrc44 (Post 11560769)
Ya, I say go just remember to clean your trash up please! Every time I go up there we have a blast. Actually last time I was there someone in the distance was blowing stuff up big time!
Make sure you watch out for hikers, no joke people have walked right through where we were shooting like it was normal..

Ya my buddy and I went up Saturday afternoon and there was little to no one out there. What shocked me the most was how much brass and shotgun shells were sprawled on the ground. My buddy and I picked up what we could with the trash bag we had and boy was that sucker full (with our trash as well). :D

Loopwell 06-12-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoologan (Post 11561018)
I don't understand. Is there something illegal about shooting in a National Forest?

We used to shoot there all the time as kids.

I used to shoot out here all the time... I've read about many similar bad experiences on Calguns, and even 4x4 forums about a particular ranger. Just try to follow all the laws as best you can out there.

ShootinMedic 06-13-2013 11:22 AM

Can someone PM where about you go shooting up there? I much prefer the Natl forest if I can find a good place to shoot. Also, I don't have a truck, so let me know if one is needed for access. I've gone up 50 a couple times, but don't know the area well enough to find somewhere both nice and safe.

Thanks!

hmillward 06-18-2013 6:01 PM

shooting in the woods

I go up there all the time and shoot. I had a ranger stop me the last time and all he said was not to soot into living trees and pick up our targets and frags when we were done. P.S. They don't shut it down for fire season. They just ban campfires after July 1st. Also, leave the tannerite at home...........

skyy_capt 06-21-2013 1:28 PM

Hopefully good news.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/...rcement-power/

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/...rcement-power/

mrc44 06-21-2013 11:01 PM

I'm going up there tomorrow, never had an issue and only been approached once

mrc44 06-22-2013 5:55 PM

Went up to Mormon Immigrant trail today and it was pretty busy! Saw a Ranger on the way out but that was it. Brought the AR's and the shotguns and pistols. Had fun, stlll a great place to shoot if you get there early.

Benetti road is always packed but if you drive a ways back there are a few good spots.

daniel85 06-22-2013 7:32 PM

I've heard a bit about this place. Been meaning to check it out. Specifically, how do you get out there?

Seniex 06-25-2013 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel85 (Post 11648957)
I've heard a bit about this place. Been meaning to check it out. Specifically, how do you get out there?

If you go up 50 take the sly park road exit, turn right. take that all the way till you get to Mormon emigrant trail (should be a left).
Then you drive i would say about 3 or 4 miles (plus or minus a few) past the 2 dams and the hiking trails till you get to a small meeting area (will be on the right) where there is a bill board or pinup board (which ever you prefer) then its the next right after that. the way to tell if your on the right road is the trees will be marked every half mile in orange paint. Oh and watch out the road is littered with hidden potholes so be careful and drive slow :)

NytWolf 06-25-2013 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seniex (Post 11670867)
If you go up 50 take the sly park road exit, turn right. take that all the way till you get to Mormon emigrant trail (should be a left).
Then you drive i would say about 3 or 4 miles (plus or minus a few) past the 2 dams and the hiking trails till you get to a small meeting area (will be on the right) where there is a bill board or pinup board (which ever you prefer) then its the next right after that. the way to tell if your on the right road is the trees will be marked every half mile in orange paint. Oh and watch out the road is littered with hidden potholes so be careful and drive slow :)

Anybody ever camp down in that valley?

JDay 06-26-2013 2:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NytWolf (Post 11671115)
Anybody ever camp down in that valley?

People camp there all the time.

magnusson 06-26-2013 5:13 PM

capps crossing is pretty nice to camp

cjlane 06-29-2013 11:28 AM

how far are you able to shoot out there? Ive been trying to find a place to open it up a bit but most places I have found are only 100yards +/- a few

18Dmedic 06-29-2013 5:58 PM

The places I've been up there are pretty small. <50m. That's the one thing I dislike about that area. However, that's where the guys and I go and run our CQB drills. Haven't really had any problems.

We once had a ranger come out and see why everyone was wearing body armor and Kevlar.lol but I don't know if I would have approached a bunch of big tattooed dudes in Kevlar & body armor without backup. He tried to say we had to have bullet buttons and 10 round mags. Had to pull out the badges. The look on his face was priceless...like when Maury Povich says..."Leroy...YOU ARE THE FATHER!!!!"

daniel85 07-01-2013 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seniex (Post 11670867)

Great, thanks man. I'll probably head up for the 4th if this weather gives out.

bdock 07-09-2013 4:01 PM

Ive never had any trouble up there. The spot Seniex describes is on Bonnetti Rd. It is a VERY high traffic shooting area, Tons of places to shoot. Some spots stretch to 100yds. Its my choice spot, but I drive about ten miles down that road till I get to my spot.

twolane 07-13-2013 11:30 AM

Truck/ high clearance needed to access?

JDay 07-13-2013 12:43 PM

You can get there in a car.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bdock 07-16-2013 6:42 PM

Yeah most of the stuff up there is car accessible. Some cool spots are 4wd only.

Thanatos2203 07-29-2013 3:10 PM

I just went up to try and go shooting at Bonetti today, its been three years since I was last up there and I had set up with a couple other people at the abandoned parking lot looking thing at these coordinates:

3842'34.02"N
12032'20.65"W

Today that specific area was covered with private property/no trespassing signs. I didn't try any more places down the road because I was on foot, but can any one else confirm of these are legitimate? Thanks.

bdock 07-29-2013 4:31 PM

I looked those up. That is very high traffic area. I have never seen signs there before but have shot there a few years ago.

If there were signs up I probably would shoot there.

Thanatos2203 07-29-2013 6:35 PM

Whoever put them up literally put up three right before you enter and then I saw several more actually inside the zone. They were fresh too (I have pictures on my phone I might download) but I figured anyone could have bought some and put them up to ward off shooters. I just didn't want to get nailed for something stupid like that.

bdock 07-29-2013 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanatos2203 (Post 11940265)
Whoever put them up literally put up three right before you enter and then I saw several more actually inside the zone. They were fresh too (I have pictures on my phone I might download) but I figured anyone could have bought some and put them up to ward off shooters. I just didn't want to get nailed for something stupid like that.

Yeah its not worth it. The FS rangers up there are wound pretty tight due to the Sheriff pulling some of their power. I got a "parking ticket" a few weeks ago while shooting.

18Dmedic 07-30-2013 5:48 AM

Damn...that fawk1ng blows. That's my spot for shooting when I'm home. Hope the **** works itself out before I get back in town. It would really suck if there are @sshole cops out there. I might have to find a new spot. Oh well...I won't be back in town for months yet.

Thanatos2203 07-30-2013 9:01 AM

Well there was that one forest service agent (I forgot his name) who prompted all the complaints which I think ultimately led to their policing powers being stripped. There might be some backlash from him or other agents, but hopefully it will die down. What made me suspicious was the fact that there were so many signs, normally there are just a couple posted at strategic locations, but there were so many here like someone was trying to send a message. Plus I don't see how that one particular spot could be private property and none of the rest of it be.

JDay 07-31-2013 1:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdock (Post 11941299)
Yeah its not worth it. The FS rangers up there are wound pretty tight due to the Sheriff pulling some of their power. I got a "parking ticket" a few weeks ago while shooting.

That was before they lost CA LEO powers. Now that they no longer have those they cannot cite you for CVC violations.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Loopwell 07-31-2013 2:13 PM

Who's actually been up there lately? Any encounters with NFS in the last few weeks?