Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Curio & Relic/Black Powder (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Vintage Rifle Match (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1403875)

pennys dad 11-26-2017 8:05 PM

Vintage Rifle Match

Has anyone shot a vintage rifle match before?
If yes what was it like and who handled it?

Don the savage 11-26-2017 9:25 PM

Jacob,
Are you asking about Garand matches?

emcon5 11-27-2017 5:54 AM

I shot a Vintage Military Silhouette match, here are the details.

http://palominogunclub.org/competiti...ry-silhouette/

Then again, any match can be a Vintage Rifle match if you want it to be. I shot a "Short Range Tactical" match with a 1903A3 and stripper clips:

http://palominogunclub.org/competiti...ange-tactical/

I plan to go back to that one with a Enfield, once I get a load worked up.

I also shot 3-gun at Chabot with a K98k once, in the rain.

http://shedracing.net/imgmisc/chabot...2011/bolt1.jpg

the_tunaman 11-27-2017 6:46 AM

Sac Valley has/had them once a month. Not sure if they still do since I moved away, but someone will come along with current info.

Theirs was a silhouette contest, very well attended, and had three or four categories as I recall. I watched a couple of times, and participated a couple. It was great fun.

Participants were paired up, and each shooter acted as spotter and scorer for their partner.

Mustang 11-27-2017 7:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_tunaman (Post 20954577)
Sac Valley has/had them once a month. Not sure if they still do since I moved away, but someone will come along with current info.

Theirs was a silhouette contest, very well attended, and had three or four categories as I recall. I watched a couple of times, and participated a couple. It was great fun.

Participants were paired up, and each shooter acted as spotter and scorer for their partner.

Still have them...third Saturday of every month.

Also every other month they have a vintage military semi-auto silhouette match.

BrokerB 11-27-2017 2:30 PM

I have shot the Sac Valley Match once.Vintage Mil Silhouette- I will do it again as soon as possible. The downside for me was the open tip/sp ammo only. I do not reload and spending $1.00+ per round is not exciting to me. I have thousands of typical 7.62 nato surplus that I bought for .11 .25 / per round so I feel bad shooting $1+ a round.

I will do it again someday though.

I had a dam good time. I shot a rifle I had never shot before at that. An Ishapore 2a1. I shot my best at the rams 500 yds or so iron sites.

I love banging any steel. I won a decent amount of steel which I do not care if it dimples with fmj.

I did shoot a fell gunners Swiss...sweeet lord of HeySoos..that thing was a bullseye with the customize aperture sites for each target line.

ditchdigger 11-27-2017 5:34 PM

I have competed in the CMP Garand Matches, probably more than 100 of them.

There are several clubs in socal that hold them.

Apple Valley Gun Club, in Victorville, has a match this Saturday.

The first match is a Course A...5 Sighters, 10 shots slow prone, 10 shots rapid prone, and 10 shots slow standing.

The second match is a Course B...5 Sighters, 20 shots slow prone, 10 shots rapid prone, 10 shots rapid sitting, and 10 shots slow standing.

Garands, Springfields, 1917s, M1As, ARs, Mausers are all good to go. Probably more than that.

rdfact 11-27-2017 6:31 PM

Where are you located OP?
Modesto Rifle Club has a monthly (March - October) milsurp benchrest match. Itís a private club but most events are open to the public.
The match is very casual. Two 10 round stages at 100 yards then another two 10 round stages at 200 yards (paper targets). There are also sight in stages at 100 and 200 yards, unlimited rounds. They allow 15 minutes per stage.
ARs are allowed as well but most people shoot C&Rs. I like to shoot different guns. Some guys shoot the same rifle and really have them dialed in with handloads and cast bullets. Not long ago a guy shot a scoped M1903 (yes sporterized milsurps are allowed) using cast bullets. I think he shot a 394 out of 400 possible with a perfect 100 point stage.

pennys dad 11-27-2017 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don the savage (Post 20953953)
Jacob,
Are you asking about Garand matches?

Yes

pennys dad 11-27-2017 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ditchdigger (Post 20957059)
I have competed in the CMP Garand Matches, probably more than 100 of them.

There are several clubs in socal that hold them.

Apple Valley Gun Club, in Victorville, has a match this Saturday.

The first match is a Course A...5 Sighters, 10 shots slow prone, 10 shots rapid prone, and 10 shots slow standing.

The second match is a Course B...5 Sighters, 20 shots slow prone, 10 shots rapid prone, 10 shots rapid sitting, and 10 shots slow standing.

Garands, Springfields, 1917s, M1As, ARs, Mausers are all good to go. Probably more than that.

I saw the CMP rules for this match it is interesting. 100 yards

pennys dad 11-27-2017 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdfact (Post 20957292)
Where are you located OP?
Modesto Rifle Club has a monthly (March - October) milsurp benchrest match. Itís a private club but most events are open to the public.
The match is very casual. Two 10 round stages at 100 yards then another two 10 round stages at 200 yards (paper targets). There are also sight in stages at 100 and 200 yards, unlimited rounds. They allow 15 minutes per stage.
ARs are allowed as well but most people shoot C&Rs. I like to shoot different guns. Some guys shoot the same rifle and really have them dialed in with handloads and cast bullets. Not long ago a guy shot a scoped M1903 (yes sporterized milsurps are allowed) using cast bullets. I think he shot a 394 out of 400 possible with a perfect 100 point stage.

I'm in occupied territory, Los Angeles County. I am thinking about running three matches in 2018 and wondered about other matches.

smoothy8500 11-27-2017 7:51 PM

Burbank rifle revolver club has Garand (GSM) matches, M1/M4 carbine matches. etc.

http://brrc.wildapricot.org/

pennys dad 11-27-2017 7:57 PM

I can run this heck I teach this.

100 yards
9 shots for Sighter
4 strings, 3 shots each Standing
4 strings, 3 shots each Seated/kneeling
4 strings, 3 shots each Prone
45 shots total

Or I can add in time like:
10 rounds 40 seconds

Don the savage 11-28-2017 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennys dad (Post 20957394)
Yes

Ive shot the garand matches at apple valley, brea rifle club and for the cmp at the western games in arizone. Its a great match and easy to run, compete. The most common run is the a course which is 5 sighters and 30 shots usually shot at 100yards on a SR-1 target. Wholecomp can be done in an hour and a half.

pennys dad 11-30-2017 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don the savage (Post 20962024)
Ive shot the garand matches at apple valley, brea rifle club and for the cmp at the western games in arizone. Its a great match and easy to run, compete. The most common run is the a course which is 5 sighters and 30 shots usually shot at 100yards on a SR-1 target. Wholecomp can be done in an hour and a half.

I am contacting CMP Friday, since CALGUNS is a CMP affiliate I may be able to make it an official match

Don the savage 11-30-2017 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennys dad (Post 20970887)
I am contacting CMP Friday, since CALGUNS is a CMP affiliate I may be able to make it an official match

At burro? It would be great to have one that isnt an hour away from me?

smoothy8500 11-30-2017 9:00 PM

That would be cool, CMP "A" or "B" match at Burro Cyn.

peppermintman 12-01-2017 4:02 AM

The Goldenbears gun club at Oaktree by Magic Mountain has them too. Another consideration :)

pennys dad 12-01-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppermintman (Post 20972042)
The Goldenbears gun club at Oaktree by Magic Mountain has them too. Another consideration :)

Yup, I know them and have attended a match in the far past. They are a good group.
This would be one for Burro Canyon.

pennys dad 12-01-2017 5:22 PM

apparently I have a match packet. just finished reading it. I want a garand now

Enfield47 12-01-2017 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennys dad (Post 20975065)
apparently I have a match packet. just finished reading it. I want a garand now

That's a purchase you will never regret (except for maybe not getting one sooner).

tencreations_ar888 12-02-2017 10:44 AM

Vintage Rifle Match

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppermintman;

Is this a different Goldenbears match than the one at ASR?