Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGSSA Range Cleanups (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Glass Factory, Is It about Time Again? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=521546)

patobravo 01-10-2012 7:31 PM

Glass Factory, Is It about Time Again?

Sort of looks like a clean-up is about due again, I think it got a lot of use over the holidays with the nice weather and everyone's new toys.

Saturday, February 25th

I'll try & be up there by 7:30, Marborg will have a roll-off and toilet up there by 8 AM that day.
Attendees
Committed:
Patobravo + 2
Gtturborex
Safooma
Rusty Scabbard
n6vmo
Deadbolt
ckprax
dougolupski
automatikdonn +1?
Ima2Avoter +1

Possibly:
One78Shovel + 1
Spunger1
vintagearms
celticstorm
oeno
Which Way out
Tactical Plinker
escobar805
GOEX FFF

gtturborex 01-10-2012 7:42 PM

It's been a while since our last one. I'm open most weekends except the 28-29th as well.

Mike

Deadbolt 01-11-2012 9:44 AM

due to work related responsibilities, I will be only tentative until march sometime

ckprax 01-12-2012 10:52 AM

I should be good for most weekends. Last time there was talk of getting a backhoe or bobcat up there to speed up the process. I think it would be great if we could make that happen. I will gladly pitch in on the rental or transportation costs.

@ Deadbolt - I am pretty sure I saw you walking your dog this morning, dressed in bright green. I drive the black Camaro SS.

gtturborex 01-13-2012 8:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckprax (Post 7831427)
I should be good for most weekends. Last time there was talk of getting a backhoe or bobcat up there to speed up the process. I think it would be great if we could make that happen. I will gladly pitch in on the rental or transportation costs.

@ Deadbolt - I am pretty sure I saw you walking your dog this morning, dressed in bright green. I drive the black Camaro SS.

I wasn't thinking about that. Let me find out about the tractor.

Mike

Deadbolt 01-13-2012 9:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckprax (Post 7831427)

No ****! You're the guy that did his own tranny or engine work over the course of a week in the street like over summer or spring some time? I have to say i admired how quick you were able get that work done. If you're the guy and car I'm thinking of, thats a nice ride and impressed with your ownership ethic hahaha :clap:

Bright Green is my MO :rofl:

ckprax 01-13-2012 9:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadbolt (Post 7837643)
No ****! You're the guy that did his own tranny or engine work over the course of a week in the street like over summer or spring some time? I have to say i admired how quick you were able get that work done. If you're the guy and car I'm thinking of, thats a nice ride and impressed with your ownership ethic hahaha :clap:

Bright Green is my MO :rofl:

Yep that was me. I had the fuel pump and starter go out so while it was down I replaced a few other odds and ends, hoses, wires etc.

Deadbolt 01-13-2012 11:37 AM

awesome man, say hi next time :43:

Spunger1 01-13-2012 3:28 PM

I might be able to help on this as well keep us posted of times and dates

ckprax 01-14-2012 6:47 PM

Well i was up there today. It looks pretty bad, lots of garbage, shot shells everywhere and someone drug an oven out about 150yds.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-52_584.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...-39-26_149.jpg

Deadbolt 01-16-2012 11:25 AM

dear god. Getting some clarification on scheduled workload - looks like other than the Valentine's week (and weekends on either side) I should be good for a clean up. Id recommend after - since we're less than a month away from any Feb date before then and 1month + advance noticed tends to have the greatest turn outs

vintagearms 01-16-2012 12:07 PM

It would be really nice if people would pick up their own s**t when they leave but heaven forbid they call a cease fire for that. :rolleyes:. Im tagging this as I'd like to help.

celticstorm 01-16-2012 6:26 PM

Those pictures make me sick. That is why areas get closed off for shooting. We don't shoot there but frequent the area when we go off roading. If the weekend is right we're in.

oeno 01-17-2012 8:22 PM

That does not look good. It reminds me of when I went out to Barstow to go shooting. That place was a pigsty, people left crap all over the place. So I have not shot their but I will help if I can. Need to keep the local places clean and open.

ckprax 01-17-2012 9:34 PM

Well i can do any weekend in feb except for presidents day. I suggest the weekend of the 25th. How does this work for everyone?

littleandres 01-17-2012 11:57 PM

first off, where is this place? I'm down to help out...

gtturborex 01-18-2012 6:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleandres (Post 7865957)
first off, where is this place? I'm down to help out...

Here you go:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l..._Map_Draft.jpg

n6vmo 01-18-2012 10:44 AM

I am OK with any weekend except for President's Day.

Which Way Out 01-18-2012 2:39 PM

Pick a day, if I not fishing or out of town Sign me up

patobravo 01-18-2012 8:29 PM

Sorry, i started this and then disappeared for a while, wife out of town & son's science fair project due. How's about...

February 25th???

How does this work for folks?

ckprax 01-18-2012 10:14 PM

That should work for me.

littleandres 01-18-2012 11:26 PM

man... i live in northern California!! Well next time I'm in southern California, I'll help out!!

Deadbolt 01-19-2012 7:19 AM

should be good by me too. only count me for 1 presently. not bringin pregger wife to the lead bowl :rofl:

gtturborex 01-19-2012 9:05 AM

Count me in for the 25th. I'm working on the tractor situation so hang tight.

ckprax 01-19-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtturborex (Post 7873383)
Count me in for the 25th. I'm working on the tractor situation so hang tight.

Awesome, that would sure make life easier, but if it doesn't pan out we should still be able to make a pretty good dent in it.

oeno 01-20-2012 6:38 PM

I do not see this to be a problem for me but I"ll double check my calender. If not, I circle the date.

gtturborex 01-25-2012 7:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patobravo (Post 7821487)
I'll try & be up there by 7:30 and will contact Marborg shortly about a roll-off. If anyone has any contacts there let me know, mine doesn't seem to check or respond to his e-mail.

I've shot a PM to Craig so hopefully the Marborg thing will fall into line.

Also I've contacted a local equipment rental place that has said they will help us out since this is volunteer work. I'm not sure exactly what that help will entail but from the sound of it he will rent me a front loader at a discount. I've already contacted Larry from the forest service but have not received a call back yet. We need to find out if he is ok with this.

The problem we will have with the tractor is going to be transportation. I can tow a smaller (bob cat type) <10,000lbs tractor but the larger ones will need to be brought in on a semi-truck. Maybe they could drop the larger one off at the entrance to Camino Cielo and we could drive it back to the range?

The smaller tractors might have an issue dumping over the side of the dumpster as well.

Is there anyone here good at making posters? I would like to get a large sign made so we can put it at the ranger station to alert others of our planned closures. The signs should have all the details of our plans as well as have our sponsors reconized. Maybe even invite others to participate. Then we could place these at our local gun shops and such to get more help.

Mike

patobravo 01-25-2012 9:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtturborex (Post 7911159)
I've shot a PM to Craig so hopefully the Marborg thing will fall into line.

OK, let me know if you don;t hear anything from him by the 30th and I'll pursue this.

Quote:

Is there anyone here good at making posters? I would like to get a large sign made so we can put it at the ranger station to alert others of our planned closures. The signs should have all the details of our plans as well as have our sponsors reconized. Maybe even invite others to participate. Then we could place these at our local gun shops and such to get more help.
Good idea, what ranger station are you thinking of? a couple of clean-ups ago I placed laminated 8 1/2 x 11 signs at the range entrance and just after the turn-off from 154 onto East Camino Cielo. I can do the same but acknowledging the sponsors is a good idea and would probably require a more professional sign to do them justice. Can we incorporate a bullseye or zombie in the design so we can use it afterwards:) ?

i was also wondering if it'd be a good or bad idea to let the News Press know, get some coverage of the clean-up to show we do care and we do take care of the spot. Or is this just raising our heads above the parapet?

---John

Deadbolt 01-25-2012 9:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patobravo (Post 7911701)
OK, let me know if you don;t hear anything from him by the 30th and I'll pursue this.

Good idea, what ranger station are you thinking of? a couple of clean-ups ago I placed laminated 8 1/2 x 11 signs at the range entrance and just after the turn-off from 154 onto East Camino Cielo. I can do the same but acknowledging the sponsors is a good idea and would probably require a more professional sign to do them justice. Can we incorporate a bullseye or zombie in the design so we can use it afterwards:) ?

i was also wondering if it'd be a good or bad idea to let the News Press know, get some coverage of the clean-up to show we do care and we do take care of the spot. Or is this just raising our heads above the parapet?

---John

I can take the poster work order. I'll have an EPS file for you to print sometime before the end of the week.

Regarding the newspress - i'd say "its a good idea but if we have poor turn out it might reflect poorly ( lack of community interest == lack of community responsibility == makes gun owners look bad save for the few martyrs (you and I) shlepping around rakes and shovels )

could be hit or miss.

Turbo or anyone else - anything specific in the language on the poster and what dimensions can you guys get it printed on? I used to have print shop connections here up to 3foot x 20feet b&w for cost but that place got bought out and changed management so I can't ensure printing anylonger.

Let me know on dimension - i will otherwise design on an 8.5:11 ratio and we can scale it from there

gtturborex 01-25-2012 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patobravo (Post 7911701)

Good idea, what ranger station are you thinking of?

The station on the left right when you turn on East Camino Cielo. Or is that a fire dept???

gtturborex 01-25-2012 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadbolt (Post 7911931)
I can take the poster work order. I'll have an EPS file for you to print sometime before the end of the week.

Turbo or anyone else - anything specific in the language on the poster and what dimensions can you guys get it printed on? I used to have print shop connections here up to 3foot x 20feet b&w for cost but that place got bought out and changed management so I can't ensure printing anylonger.

Let me know on dimension - i will otherwise design on an 8.5:11 ratio and we can scale it from there

I was thinking something quite large and re-useable. Maybe like a metal sign like a road sign. We would just need to be able to change the dates.

As for the fliers any standard size should be fine. Maybe 2 per page or something along those lines. We probably won't need too many of them around here. Just at our local FFL shop.

Marborg has been a huge sponsor for us so we need to recognize this. I am still working on the other potential sponsor that would probably be a one time thing. I really want to get this setup but I haven't got a returned call from Larry yet.

TacticalPlinker 01-26-2012 5:39 AM

I'm not sure how much I can contribute, and I'm going to be very last minute, but that picture looks worse than the last time I was there.

In fact, I haven't been there in 6 months or so because of the trash. I picked up everything except my brass, and that was only because I had no idea what brass was mine. But wish people would just clean up. So frustrating that we lose what few places we have to shoot because of this.

Anyway, I'll be watching this thread.

side note; I :rofl2: at the Target banner out there. I wonder where they stole that from.

Deadbolt 01-26-2012 9:08 AM

Gooooottttccchhhaaa ok thats something to think about. What about just a giant sheet of sheet metal, painted rustoleum white then clear coated

and we just use vinyl lettering to do something simple like:

EAST CAMINO CIELO
RANGE CLEAN UP
<DATE>

?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtturborex (Post 7915608)
I was thinking something quite large and re-useable. Maybe like a metal sign like a road sign. We would just need to be able to change the dates.

As for the fliers any standard size should be fine. Maybe 2 per page or something along those lines. We probably won't need too many of them around here. Just at our local FFL shop.

Marborg has been a huge sponsor for us so we need to recognize this. I am still working on the other potential sponsor that would probably be a one time thing. I really want to get this setup but I haven't got a returned call from Larry yet.

Deadbolt 01-26-2012 9:09 AM

oooooohhhh **** you know what. We do that then leave space for "Sponsors"

so if we ever market that again, we can actually say that their logo will be placed somewhere (might make the offer more enticing? ) just thinking out loud .....

patobravo 01-26-2012 9:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtturborex (Post 7915566)
The station on the left right when you turn on East Camino Cielo. Or is that a fire dept???

Was fire department, now I think someone actually lives there, definitely no fire department there. But right across the street from there is a good place to plant a sign.

gtturborex 01-26-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadbolt (Post 7918819)
oooooohhhh **** you know what. We do that then leave space for "Sponsors"

so if we ever market that again, we can actually say that their logo will be placed somewhere (might make the offer more enticing? ) just thinking out loud .....

Exactly!

Deadbolt 01-26-2012 10:39 AM

ok im a workin stiff.

I'll do some pricing on what the sign would cost and report back some materials costs and options.

for what it's worth - im just going to go down to the local OSH and price some stuff out, we can pow-wow on what is the best combo and then figure out how to pay for it. I've mooched water and donuts in the past from everyone so i'm good to cover a lion's share but if its going to cost more than 50$ i might ask for donatin's lol

gtturborex 01-26-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadbolt (Post 7919388)
ok im a workin stiff.

I'll do some pricing on what the sign would cost and report back some materials costs and options.

for what it's worth - im just going to go down to the local OSH and price some stuff out, we can pow-wow on what is the best combo and then figure out how to pay for it. I've mooched water and donuts in the past from everyone so i'm good to cover a lion's share but if its going to cost more than 50$ i might ask for donatin's lol

Do it for the cause. Think of the children:p

JK, I'll kick down as well...

escobar805 01-26-2012 11:41 AM

How's everybody doing. New to calguns. The glass factory is a great place to shoot and it would be great to keep the area as clean as possible, but there is always those idiots who ruin it for everybody. Feb 25 should work just fine for me. I am willing to help out

Deadbolt 01-26-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtturborex (Post 7919553)
Do it for the cause. Think of the children:p

haha yeah no worries - as mentioned everyone has been very giving with the munchies and drinks so if its not ridiculously expensive i'll foot the bill on the sign