Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Firearms in Forests and Parks (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457)

The Cable Guy 06-30-2009 9:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudCamper (Post 2707172)
Correct. And it's true for all NF, not just Tahoe. Perhaps you missed this link.

Good call. I will add 261.10(d) to the second post.

Yes. And yes.

Correct.

I'm confused now. Its legal to possess a loaded gun within your campsite, but not within 150 yards of a camp site? Does the latter pertain to actual structures, or other people's campsites?

MudCamper 06-30-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cable Guy (Post 2707316)
I'm confused now. Its legal to possess a loaded gun within your campsite, but not within 150 yards of a camp site? Does the latter pertain to actual structures, or other people's campsites?

12031 makes it illegal to possess a loaded firearm in "a prohibited area of unincorporated territory". A "prohibited area" is defined as "any place where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon". Since the CFR forbids shooting near campsites (et al), loading is therefore illegal per 12031. However, 12031(l) states that 12031 does not apply "at his or her place of residence, including any temporary residence or campsite".

So, yes, technically you cannot load in/near a public campsite, until you are in your own campsite, at which point 12031 no longer applies and you can load.

It sounds ridiculous but it's just the letter of the law. Now if you are out in an undeveloped area or undesignated campsite then you are OK to load both in or near your campsite.

Edit: See scenarios 2,3,4 in the third post of this thread.

Super Chicken 06-30-2009 10:47 PM

What about heading away/to your truck? I hike in The Angeles Forest and most times do not park in trail heads but just pull of the road. When walking back to my truck I keep my shotgun chambered in the off chance that somebody is doing something they shouldn't. Do I need to have a clear chamber once within 150 feet of the road?

This is my first post and I would like to thank everyone here for such a great site and this most useful thread

The Cable Guy 07-01-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Chicken (Post 2710868)
What about heading away/to your truck? I hike in The Angeles Forest and most times do not park in trail heads but just pull of the road. When walking back to my truck I keep my shotgun chambered in the off chance that somebody is doing something they shouldn't. Do I need to have a clear chamber once within 150 feet of the road?

This is my first post and I would like to thank everyone here for such a great site and this most useful thread

Welcome, and this indeed a very interesting thread!

MudCamper 07-01-2009 8:44 AM

Quote:

If it is a designated road, technically, per CA PC 12031 and CFR 36 CFR 261.10 (d) you need to empty the shotgun on or adjacent to the road, and not just clear the chamber, but empty the magazine. Since the tubular magazine is attached (I assume) it must also be unloaded to meet the definition. Again, this is per CA PC. Per Fish and Game code section 2006 you need only empty the chamber.

What does all this conflicting code mean? In all probability it means that a Game Warden would only care if you have a round in the chamber, and a forest service LEO probably doesn't even care if it's loaded, since according to CFR you just can't be shooting there. But if you ran into a gung-ho sheriff's deputy he might cite you for 12031.

Now if you are hunting, then you would seem to be able to keep the rounds in the magazine. F&G code only requires you to remove the round from the chamber near the road. And 12031 contains this:

Quote:

(i) Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from carrying a loaded firearm in an area within an incorporated city while engaged in hunting, provided that the hunting at that place and time is not prohibited by the city council.
Now this exemption refers specifically to incorporated city, but that is probably because when the law was drafted nobody assumed 12031 would even apply on a country road in unincorporated territory (which it does now due to shooting prohibitions triggering the "prohibited area" language). It would stand to reason that this exemption would therefore also extend to unincorporated territory. Of course, this is opinion and opinions vary!

Edit to add: If you are hunting, or using any hunting related code exemptions, you need to watch out for the lead ammo ban.

iegeorge 07-03-2009 9:36 PM

Help Please...

I'm really trying to get this and not having much luck...

Scenario 1.
I'm camping in a NF campground and will be fishing in the stream running directly adjacent to the campground. I must walk across a paved roadway to get from my campsite to the stream. All campsites have adjacent campsites that I must walk between to get to the stream. When I get to the stream I will be wading in and perhaps accross the stream. There are campsites adjacent to portions of the stream I am fishing. If I have some luck and keep a few nice fish, I'll be cleaning them while standing in or partially in the stream.

Scenario 2.
Same NF campgroud. I will drive approx. 2 miles (designated road) to a lake with the NF and park in a paved parking lot and walk to the shore of the lake and either fish from shore, wade some distance from shore or fish from a float tube some distance from shore.

What I'd really like to know is if I can legally cc while fishing in the above circumstances and if so when I may cc after leaving my campsite.

I really have read everything in this thread but I'm pretty thick headed. Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Seesm 07-05-2009 3:50 PM

Seems like a hassle all the way around and confusing too.... Again we should (if legal to own a gun ) should be legally able to carry it loaded at all times.

MudCamper 07-06-2009 8:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iegeorge (Post 2723757)
Scenario 1.
I'm camping in a NF campground and will be fishing in the stream running directly adjacent to the campground. I must walk across a paved roadway to get from my campsite to the stream. All campsites have adjacent campsites that I must walk between to get to the stream. When I get to the stream I will be wading in and perhaps accross the stream. There are campsites adjacent to portions of the stream I am fishing. If I have some luck and keep a few nice fish, I'll be cleaning them while standing in or partially in the stream.

What I'd really like to know is if I can legally cc while fishing in the above circumstances and if so when I may cc after leaving my campsite.

Since shooting is prohibited within 150 yards of the campsites, this triggers the 12031 "prohibited area" language so loading is illegal.

As a licensed fisherman on a fishing expedition you can legally concealed carry per the 12027 exemption to 12025, but this is concealed only, not loaded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iegeorge (Post 2723757)
Scenario 2.
Same NF campgroud. I will drive approx. 2 miles (designated road) to a lake with the NF and park in a paved parking lot and walk to the shore of the lake and either fish from shore, wade some distance from shore or fish from a float tube some distance from shore.

Again, while on the road and on/adjacent to the lake, loading would be a 12031 violation, but concealing would not be a 12025 violation. Concealed or open carry unloaded with ammo handy would be your best option IMO.

fairfaxjim 07-06-2009 10:34 AM

I'm confused now. Where does the "within 150 yards of a road or stream" come from? I was in the El Dorado Nat. Forest last week, and stopped in at the Georgetown Ranger Sta. to pick up some road maps. While there, I was talking with the ranger and we discussed shooting. He pulled up, printed, and handed me a copy of the webpage for the El Dorado Nation Forest, Recreational Activities: Shooting. it is at:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/recreation/shooting/
Under regulations, it has
Quote:

Firearms
You may NOT discharge a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property:

*In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area,

*Across or on a Forest Development road or a body of water adjacent thereto,

*In any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge. (36CFR 261.10d*).
In my reading, and discussion with the ranger, the 150 yards pertains to:
residnece,
building,
campsite,
developed recreation site,
or
occupied area

The prohibition regarding roads is "Across or on a Forest Development road" and for water it is "[Across or on] a body of water adjacent thereto."

A further look at the code of federal regs that these are contained in, 36CFR 261.10d, the breakout is clear that the 150 yards applies only to instance #1:
Quote:

(d) Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:

(1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or

(2) Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge.

(3) Into or within any cave.
I personally apply PC12031 to mean loaded carry is illegal ON the actual road, or ON the actual body of water. Of course shooting across either is prohibited, but doesn't come into play for having the loaded firearm. I am not totally sure what they mean by "adjacent thereto." Adjacent to what? the water itself, you, the road, ??? I am comfortable with loaded carry up to a designated FS or county road, or stream, lake, reservoir, etc. UOC would be required when crossing the road/stream, or in/on a lake or stream. If you encounter campsites or occupied areas while carrying loaded, the 150 yards then becomes controlling. The developed recreation site covers all parking lots, boat ramps, campgrounds, trailhead parking, etc., and 150 yards also controls.

MudCamper 07-06-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairfaxjim (Post 2731609)
I'm confused now. Where does the "within 150 yards of a road or stream" come from?

I never said within 150 yards of a road or stream. I said within 150 yards of a road or campsite. (I should have just said within 150 yards of a campsite.) The previous poster's first scenario was both next to a stream and within 150 yards of a campsite and a road. His second scenario was adjacent to/in a body of water. The first scenarios is within a prohibited area per CFR and PC. The second likely is IMO.

As for 12031 and the federal CFR shooting restrictions in NF, it's all covered in the first 2 posts of this thread.

12031 prohibits loading in "prohibited area of unincorporated territory". A "prohibited area" is defined as "any place where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon".

The reality is that the federal LEOs in a NF are probably not going to understand all the subtleties of CA law, but it doesn't mean that the law doesn't apply. I prefer to always obey the law and not face criminal charges.

Quote:

I am not totally sure what they mean by "adjacent thereto." Adjacent to what? the water itself, you, the road, ???

It is a bit unclear. It could even mean body of water adjacent to a road, so if there is no road, then you are OK... I will edit my previous post and clearly state where it is opinion.

fairfaxjim 07-07-2009 8:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudCamper (Post 2732210)
I never said within 150 yards of a road or stream. I said within 150 yards of a road or campsite. The previous poster's first scenario was both next to a stream and within 150 yards of a campsite and a road. His second scenario was adjacent to/in a body of water. The first scenarios is within a prohibited area per CFR and PC. The second likely is IMO.

This is the reply I was actually referring to - the other one had so many controlling elements to it that it was not going to be legal - IMHO - for several reasons. However, the road does not trigger the 150 yards, the campsite (or any other developed/occupied building/area.) does.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudCamper (Post 2711944)
If it is a designated road, technically, per CA PC 12031 you need to empty the shotgun within 150 yards of the road, and not just clear the chamber, but empty the magazine. Since the tubular magazine is attached (I assume) it must also be unloaded to meet the definition. Again, this is per CA PC. Per Fish and Game code you need only empty the chamber.

Absent any other prohibited area/feature, you should be legal all the way up to the truck/road.

Quote:

As for 12031 and the federal CFR shooting restrictions in NF, it's all covered in the first 2 posts of this thread.

12031 prohibits loading in "prohibited area of unincorporated territory". A "prohibited area" is defined as "any place where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon".

The reality is that the federal LEOs in a NF are probably not going to understand all the subtleties of CA law, but it doesn't mean that the law doesn't apply. I prefer to always obey the law and not face criminal charges.
It also means that chances are they will mis-apply whatever CA law they do attempt enforce. YMMV, but we have seen the results of over zealous BLM rangers dealing with CA law. Unfortunately, the NF rangers sometimes don't have a good understanding of their own regs/laws, and the management structure seems to be confusing at best these days. Last trip in the El Dorado forest - which has a headquarters and 4 different ranger districts, each with it's own supervisor and/or district ranger - an LEO ranger from one district cited all the vehicles parked at a boat ramp in another district - without checking with the contracted management camp host who happened to be in charge of the ramp and had all of the payment info. NF rangers can get really squirly on occasion in my experience.

Quote:

It is a bit unclear. It could even mean body of water adjacent to a road, so if there is no road, then you are OK... I will edit my previous post and clearly state where it is opinion.
We may never know what this one means. I will try to discuss this with a NF ranger on my next trip out.

MudCamper 07-07-2009 9:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudCamper (Post 2711944)
you need to empty the shotgun within 150 yards of the road

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairfaxjim (Post 2735935)
Absent any other prohibited area/feature, you should be legal all the way up to the truck/road.

You are correct. I misspoke, and will correct the post to avoid confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudCamper
It is a bit unclear. It could even mean body of water adjacent to a road, so if there is no road, then you are OK...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairfaxjim (Post 2735935)
We may never know what this one means. I will try to discuss this with a NF ranger on my next trip out.

Reading it again today, with more caffeine in my system, I interpret it this cautious way:

"Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto" =

across or on a NF road or adjacent thereto, or,
across or on a body of water or adjacent thereto

iegeorge 07-07-2009 6:35 PM

Thanks all for the discussion and opinions, I really appreciate your time. I will probably limit myself to bear spray. Someone reading these posts asked me if my campsite were the only one within 150 yds in any direction, would I have to unload within 150 yds of my own campsite seeing as I would not be occupying it at the time?

Head is spinninggggggg...

MudCamper 07-10-2009 8:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midian (Post 2707240)
Jesus. Might as well just carry a baseball bat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iegeorge (Post 2738798)
I will probably limit myself to bear spray.

Don't be discouraged. One simple way to look at it is, in the NF and BLM, you can open carry unloaded, with ammo (speed loaders or loaded mags) on your person, pretty much everywhere. And when you are away from people, roads, or any developed areas you can load. IMO this is still much better than a club or pepper spray.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iegeorge (Post 2738798)
Someone reading these posts asked me if my campsite were the only one within 150 yds in any direction, would I have to unload within 150 yds of my own campsite seeing as I would not be occupying it at the time?

Head is spinninggggggg...

:) While amusing, I don't think you need to worry about it down to this level of insanity.

HondaMasterTech 07-30-2009 3:57 PM

NFS, prohibited shooting question... Occupied area, Does that include "in the middle of desolation" when someone decides to camp near you? Is this now an occupied area and now "prohibited"?

MudCamper 07-30-2009 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HondaMasterTech (Post 2849072)
NFS, prohibited shooting question... Occupied area, Does that include "in the middle of desolation" when someone decides to camp near you? Is this now an occupied area and now "prohibited"?

You are referring to the unspecific language in 36 CFR 261.10 (d). There are 2 such gray areas. See the bolded text:

Quote:

(d) Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:

(1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or
(2) Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge.
These could be anywhere. Do they trigger 12031(f)? One could argue that they do. But it is a bit absurd. IMO it does not. Could a power-tripping LEO decide to interpret it this way? It's possible. But that type of guy probably doesn't understand the subtle details of the law this well. Do what you feel comfortable with.

savasyn 07-31-2009 10:16 AM

Similar to that last question: My friends and I go out to BLM land, set up tents in the middle of nowhere as we'll be camping that evening and prepare to shoot at a safe backstop, nowhere near a road, body of water or "developed" campsite, do we have to move 150 feet away from our own tents?

HondaMasterTech 07-31-2009 2:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savasyn (Post 2852844)
Similar to that last question: My friends and I go out to BLM land, set up tents in the middle of nowhere as we'll be camping that evening and prepare to shoot at a safe backstop, nowhere near a road, body of water or "developed" campsite, do we have to move 150 feet away from our own tents?

No, because it is your campsite.

HondaMasterTech 07-31-2009 2:52 PM

Now, the rules about concealed carry only affect handguns, correct? I'm assuming that stuffing a shotgun into my framed backpack with the stock sticking out the top is ok, right?

MudCamper 08-05-2009 9:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HondaMasterTech (Post 2854056)
Now, the rules about concealed carry only affect handguns, correct? I'm assuming that stuffing a shotgun into my framed backpack with the stock sticking out the top is ok, right?

Correct. 12025 does not apply to rifles and shotguns. You can conceal them legally.

cahermit 08-06-2009 4:32 PM

I have shot in both the lowest and highest parts of Stanislaus Forest, there's never a problem, so long as you aren't being stupid (rapid fire, shooting over roads, water or near buildings, etc)...
In the Emigrant I carry a G27 in a drop with a mag on it & another in it, and I have never had problems. The last trip we had (2 weeks ago to Lane lake from Leavitt TH) we conversed with the ranger for about an hour and nothing came up about it.
I usually just quote that bad people can be much more dangerous when law is miles away, and that there's always animals as well.. but that question has only come up from friends, not authorities. ;)

Though if you're marching along with your mossberg or scoped rifle, they'd probably question you.

ShadyatBest 08-15-2009 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Californio (Post 2627421)
I am going to take the family to the Western Sierras this summer for camping, in the Sierra National Forest, in the old days I took a 12 ga with slugs camping out of the car. Looks like it's a Condor Zone now. Do I have to have lead free slugs for purely a defensive use, bears?

You are going to have a hell of a time hitting those birds with the slugs.

MudCamper 08-28-2009 12:05 PM

Bump for updated HR627 link and citations.

ChaparralCommando 08-28-2009 3:29 PM

Quote:

I personally apply PC12031 to mean loaded carry is illegal ON the actual road, or ON the actual body of water. Of course shooting across either is prohibited, but doesn't come into play for having the loaded firearm. I am not totally sure what they mean by "adjacent thereto." Adjacent to what? the water itself, you, the road, ??? I am comfortable with loaded carry up to a designated FS or county road, or stream, lake, reservoir, etc. UOC would be required when crossing the road/stream, or in/on a lake or stream. If you encounter campsites or occupied areas while carrying loaded, the 150 yards then becomes controlling. The developed recreation site covers all parking lots, boat ramps, campgrounds, trailhead parking, etc., and 150 yards also controls.

So if I am hunting (in Los Padres NF), I cannot be on the dirt fire road when I shoot? That makes it tough since they are the only paths through the dense vegetation other than occasional trails.

MudCamper 08-28-2009 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaparralCommando (Post 2986798)
So if I am hunting (in Los Padres NF), I cannot be on the dirt fire road when I shoot? That makes it tough since they are the only paths through the dense vegetation other than occasional trails.

Technically it is a gray area, but in reality you are probably fine. And see this post in this thread, which has touched on this already.

easyeye 08-28-2009 9:22 PM

how about air rifles? are they considered as firearms by our legislatures?

ldivinag 08-29-2009 2:29 AM

tagged...

holy carp... lots of great info!

SDgarrick 09-07-2009 2:16 PM

So Alot about national forest has been asked, but what if you are in "National wildlife refuge" land, say fishing the Sac river, and you conceal unloaded carry, would this be protected under 12027(g)? is this legal since it does not violate 12031?

MudCamper 09-07-2009 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDgarrick (Post 3029802)
So Alot about national forest has been asked, but what if you are in "National wildlife refuge" land, say fishing the Sac river, and you conceal unloaded carry, would this be protected under 12027(g)? is this legal since it does not violate 12031?

National Wildlife Refuges are currently similar to National Parks, in that there is a CFR law that prohibit firearms within these lands. There is a hunting exception to this. When hunting is open, firearms are allowed but only for this purpose (so no self defense carry while fishing for example). So while you would not be guilty of 12025, you would be guilty of 50 CFR 27.42 (see second post in this thread for link and details). However, the good news is, like with the National Parks, HR 627 will remove the firearms prohibition effective February 22, 2010.

fd15k 09-07-2009 4:30 PM

Guys, how about transportation ? Can I transport container-locked unloaded handguns and unloaded rifles in Forests/Parks/etc ? Does it make a difference if unloaded rifle is inside the vehicle, or it is inside one's tent ? Thanks!

Electricboy 09-07-2009 9:47 PM

national forests and BLM land if you have a CCW can you carry? Thanks

MudCamper 09-10-2009 8:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fd15k (Post 3030228)
Guys, how about transportation ? Can I transport container-locked unloaded handguns and unloaded rifles in Forests/Parks/etc ? Does it make a difference if unloaded rifle is inside the vehicle, or it is inside one's tent ? Thanks!

This is several questions in one.

First, Forests/Parks/etc could mean many different governing agencies and different rules. See the first post. Second, for the more restrictive lands, yes, generally you can transport locked, but not necessarily just unloaded. Read the first and second post. All your questions are answered there.

MudCamper 09-10-2009 8:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electricboy (Post 3031651)
national forests and BLM land if you have a CCW can you carry? Thanks

While my guess is that the answer is almost certainly a yes, licensed CCW is not covered in this thread (since I don't have one and therefore have not researched the details of the law). If you have a CCW, you should do your homework and find out any possible restrictions. Start with PC 12050.

Ricewatcher 09-21-2009 10:47 PM

Thank you for all of the effort you put into the replies, Mud Camper.

LesGrossman41510 09-21-2009 10:59 PM

National Forests for the win!

Ricewatcher 09-21-2009 11:22 PM

I do have a question, since we're all here :)

This weekend I was deer hunting, and since nobody had any luck we decided to drive into town to get some food. On the way back to camp we are stopped by a DFG warden. We were in a truck and had our rifles just in case we happened along a buck (we were on a NF road at the time). He stops and asks us if were hunting, and when we said yes he asked to see our licenses and tags. Once he was happy with that, he checked our rifles for chambered rounds. I was surprised he did not say "hand me your rifles" but rather just had us pull the bolts back. Anyway, none of us had a round chambered so we were ok. He then asked if anyone had a handgun. We all said no and that was the end of the encounter.

Later, when we got back to camp, I looked into my pack (I had it with me) and noticed I did in fact have my handgun with me. It was unloaded but I did have two loaded mags in the same pack. It's just a backpack so there are no locks or anything.

If I understand everything right (big if!) I was legal because we were hunting. However, in town was I illegal because that was clearly a prohibited area? But, in town I would of been legal if the gun was not in the pack, instead just sitting out in the open? Or, was it legal just because we were still under the transporting clause of hunting?

It's really ridiculous how a simple hunting trip can result in a misdemeanor offense if things go the wrong way. And the reality is the laws are very confusing for most of us who do not spend hours and hours researching the various codes and sections from multiple agencies. Heck, I'm up super late tonight just reading and looking at the laws related to fishing and hunting only.

GrizzlyGuy 09-22-2009 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricewatcher (Post 3097748)
Or, was it legal just because we were still under the transporting clause of hunting?

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that's the case and you were OK. Here is the concealed carry exemption from 12027 that you were using:

"(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition
."

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12027.html

12027 doesn't have this limiter like 12026.2 does: "the course of travel shall include only those deviations between authorized locations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances"

So no worries even though you didn't head straight back to camp.

locosway 09-27-2009 11:36 PM

Mudcamper,

I'd like to go hiking in the Cleveland National Forest around Silverado, CA.

You list national forests as "permited, but state law applies". Seeing as it's unincorporated and rural would LOC be permitted?

I don't want to shoot out there, just carry for obvious reasons.

MudCamper 09-28-2009 7:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locosway (Post 3125538)
Mudcamper,

I'd like to go hiking in the Cleveland National Forest around Silverado, CA.

You list national forests as "permited, but state law applies". Seeing as it's unincorporated and rural would LOC be permitted?

I don't want to shoot out there, just carry for obvious reasons.

You must have missed the little *2 notes in the post. Maybe I need to rework the format to make it more clear.

Anyway, yes, LOC is legal, provided it is not in an area where shooting is prohibited, at which times only UOC is legal. Prohibited areas include within 150 yards of any residence, building, campsite, or developed site, or on/across a road or body of water.

errorz 09-28-2009 8:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudCamper (Post 3126182)
Anyway, yes, LOC is legal, provided it is not in an area where shooting is prohibited, at which times only UOC is legal. Prohibited areas include within 150 yards of any residence, building, campsite, or developed site, or on/across a road or body of water.

When going up Holy Jim in Silverado, you see the "entering National Forestry Area" and upon leaving it reminds you of your departure. There is the posted sign as well that states "no shooting near campsites, buildings, etc"

The difficult part of Holy Jim is at the trailhead marker, there are the NFS "NO SHOOTING" stickers.

I have carried LOC before for safety, though wonder if because of the stickers (no sign) that this is not permitted. There is no camping allowed up there nor buildings (short of the radio towers at the top) to have to worry about...

If anyone can shed light on these stickers, that would be great. But for me, It still has a degree of gray area...