Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Technology and Internet (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Smart TV question (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=826443)

GM4spd 09-20-2013 6:48 PM

Smart TV question

I have a new Samsung smart Tv,can I use it without my Verizon cable
box and still receive all the Verizon channels? I'd like to use the box
with an older TV to get all the channels on the older set,without
having to pay for an additional box.. Pete

the_natterjack 09-20-2013 8:28 PM

Verizon Cable? never used it but if it's like Comcast the channels are scrambled.

So you'll probably need a second box.

- Brian

Darryl Licht 09-25-2013 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM4spd (Post 12364689)
I have a new Samsung smart Tv,can I use it without my Verizon cable
box and still receive all the Verizon channels? I'd like to use the box
with an older TV to get all the channels on the older set,without
having to pay for an additional box.. Pete

Help us help you!

What is the model of said TV, so we could check specs?

I've never seen a smart TV that will unscramble ATSC/NTSC/Clear QAM channels. Usually "Smart" implies the TV can access and play media from a network, HD, or USB drive. They also have apps that will allow you to watch Internet content if connected to your home Wi-Fi or wired Internet connection.

It's a smart TV, not an Einstein!

nephrodoc 09-25-2013 6:49 PM

Mine only gets the basic cable channels without the box, but I have Time Warner. The smart only refers to the apps and wifi that is built into it.

Yugo 09-25-2013 6:52 PM

NO!

Yugo 09-25-2013 6:54 PM

You can split the video signal from 1 box but you will be watching same picture on both TV's.

den888 09-25-2013 7:42 PM

The answer is NO! Smart usually means access to the internet, etc

Yugo 09-25-2013 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by den888 (Post 12401934)
The answer is NO! Smart usually means access to the internet, etc

HAHA smart usually means DUMB. I would say 89%-94% of people with a smart TV don't even know how to use it and all they needed was a monitor. In fact most people just need a monitor because majority use some sort of cable box.

UBFRAGD 10-06-2013 4:40 PM

I bought a really nice and expensive smart tv and I hate it completely. All that money that could've gone into better picture quality.....

The apps suck. The interface sucks. It's slow sometimes. It needs updating constantly. It needs verification codes constantly. Anything worth watching costs more. It's barely hardly customizable.

Brianguy 10-06-2013 4:52 PM

you still need the box to decrypt the channels. as others said your tv has internet capabilities and most likely a bunch of apps such as netflix, hulu, and amazon on demand. if you subscribe to basic tv (the channels that are free over the air) that's broadcast over clear qam (unencrypted) you can ditch the box. i believe there was a new law that allows cable companies to encrypt OTA channels on their lines.

the86d 10-07-2013 3:29 AM

Get a TV with more inputs, rather than a smart TV.

I don't own a smart TV, mainly because they are more expensive, and I'd rather just switch inputs and have stand-alone devices for each thing I want to view. My parent have a smart TV and it takes forever to switch to their netflix app, wait for it to load...

Roku or other option is better in my book.

Android-based streaming-box or something can be upgraded as your TV parts can't... with just a trip down to the local store that sells streaming devices.

Assume you have your TV for 10 years (?) and if you had the best Roku of it's day... today it drags it's feet, and assume you can't upgrade it... that is how I see SmartTVs.