Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Gen 4 or Gen 3 Glock 22? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=665994)

Seaweed02 12-29-2012 8:05 AM

Gen 4 or Gen 3 Glock 22?

Hello,

I am a State Parole Agent, so I can buy a Gen 4 Glock 22 without going through the SSE stuff. I can buy it through the Blue Label program and get a discount on the price just like any other peace officer. However the store I go through says their supplier does not have any in stock right now and would have to order it. Now with the way things are going, there could be new gun ban laws any time now, so I am worried about that. Coupled with that worry is the fact that I will only be a peace officer for a couple months since I am retiring in March. So I have to make a purchase before then.

Now the guy at the gun store called his source/supplier who said that although he didn't have any Blue Label Gen4s in stock, he did have a Blue Label Gen3 in stock. He had no idea how long it would take to get a Gen4.

Now as a Parole Agent I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P 40 on duty, not a Glock like a lot of Police do. So I figured here would be a good place to ask what people think of the differences between the Gen4 and Gen3 Glock 22. Please share your experiences and help me make a decision as to buying the Gen3 that is in stock, or ordering a Gen4 and hoping it gets here before I retire.

Thanks

Ron-Solo 12-29-2012 8:17 AM

Get an M&P 9c or 40c before you retire. The Glock is ok in my opinion, but the M&P is better.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Retirement is great.

Congrats

FMFdevildoc 12-29-2012 8:26 AM

I purchased a Glock22 gen4 / RTF out of state (Military are also eligible for the blue tag program). Excellent pistol thus far - have fired a variety of JHP & range fodder ammo with zero FTF/FTE.

The RTF finish is great IMO, I wore gloves a lot when shooting in Northern New Mexico (cold climate) & the pistol stuck like glue to shooting gloves. Felt as if it had excellent positive control.

Worked well in cold, dirty, daily carry, CCW applications during that time frame as well.

Now it lives in a safe & sees occasional range time. Haven't used it extensively, in LEO type role, obviously... Yet I'm quite satisfied with it.

Blue tag program prices can't be beat!!

Also check out Buds Police Supply dot com - really good discounted prices for LEO, military, firemen, etc. Before the craze started, I got a flat top AR for $604 from them. Sadly, same AR is now $900 and back ordered.

Buds was also seemingly good about not hiking prices up too drastically either. I've seen them run the M&Ps for as low as $389 previously by the way.

Regards, Doc

Seaweed02 12-29-2012 8:52 AM

Already done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron-Solo (Post 10046701)
Get an M&P 9c or 40c before you retire. The Glock is ok in my opinion, but the M&P is better.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Retirement is great.

Congrats

Since it is the new issue weapon, we had the option of buying our own personal M&P to carry on and off duty. So I bought my own M&P 40 and I love it to death. Can't miss with it and love the trigger and reset on it. But since I have the M&P covered, I wanted to buy a Glock because I don't have one yet. I have shot my nephew's Glock 19 and don't like the way the grip feels. But it is also a gun you can't miss with. Very accurate and easy to acquire targets/sight picture. That is why I want one.

bc360 12-29-2012 8:54 AM

Stick with the M&P 9 or 40. My isssue is a G22 and I can out shoot it with my M&P 40. At 10 yards there about the same, at 15 + yards my M&P is much better. Both do failure drills nicely. We shoot year round, cold, hot, rain (no snow in so Cal), roll around in the dirt with no issue on either one. Some guys swear by the Glock. I think it's a preference. My vote goes with the M&P.

Seaweed02 12-29-2012 8:58 AM

Thanks Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMFdevildoc (Post 10046758)
I purchased a Glock22 gen4 / RTF out of state (Military are also eligible for the blue tag program). Excellent pistol thus far - have fired a variety of JHP & range fodder ammo with zero FTF/FTE.

The RTF finish is great IMO, I wore gloves a lot when shooting in Northern New Mexico (cold climate) & the pistol stuck like glue to shooting gloves. Felt as if it had excellent positive control.

Worked well in cold, dirty, daily carry, CCW applications during that time frame as well.

Now it lives in a safe & sees occasional range time. Haven't used it extensively, in LEO type role, obviously... Yet I'm quite satisfied with it.

Blue tag program prices can't be beat!!

Also check out Buds Police Supply dot com - really good discounted prices for LEO, military, firemen, etc. Before the craze started, I got a flat top AR for $604 from them. Sadly, same AR is now $900 and back ordered.

Buds was also seemingly good about not hiking prices up too drastically either. I've seen them run the M&Ps for as low as $389 previously by the way.

Regards, Doc

Thanks a lot Doc. I am a retired BMC(SW/AW/SCW) as well. The Parole Agent Gig is my second career. I will check that out, but if it involves shipping the gun, or driving 3 hours round trip twice, then it would cancel any discounts. But I will look into it and see if he has one in stock. Thanks again.

Seaweed02 12-29-2012 1:05 PM

Out of stock

Buds Police Supply is out of stock on the Glocks. It has a couple of trade ins, or used ones, but not even the model I am looking for. Thanks though Doc,

ap3572001 12-29-2012 1:35 PM

I have a GEN4 22. Very happy with it.

hitman13 12-29-2012 1:37 PM

call Glock @ 1-770-432-1202 and ask for LE sales to order directly from them and have it shipped to your FFL....

ETA: prob still have to eat fees on your end for them to accept it.

stormvet 12-29-2012 2:46 PM

I own 2, an older gen 3 22c and a new DE 22 gen 3. I went with the gen3 so I could interchange my slides and the gen 3's have always been a good fit for me.
I also own a M&P .40, I like it good solid gun but I would not choose it over a Glock 22, gen 3 anyway not enough time spent with gen 4 to make the same claim.
Congrats on retirement, the way CDC is mishandling its paroles division. It is very good timing on your part.

stormvet 12-29-2012 2:46 PM

Darn iPhone always double posts.

1-M-42 12-29-2012 4:32 PM

Get a Sig, it's a real gun....:rolleyes:

Tallship 12-30-2012 7:59 AM

1. Are you left handed? If so, wait for the Gen4, it has an ambi mag release. 2. Does the Gen3 fit well in your hand? If so, go with the it. The only other difference in the Gen4 is the ability to have the different back grips.

bc360 12-30-2012 9:18 AM

If your talking about a real gun, get a 1911 Commander.

hitman13 12-30-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc360 (Post 10057436)
If your talking about a real gun, get a 1911 Commander.

:troll:
So, basically, you have nothing of value to add to this thread?:rolleyes:

bc360 12-30-2012 7:54 PM

Thats just your opinion, IMHO.

judoguy 12-31-2012 12:40 PM

Gen 3 or gen 4 glock 22 , can't go wrong.

I'd say go with the gen 4 if you have issues with the glock grip because you have more options with the back straps.

I personally never liked the s&w mp . The trigger is very awkward for me although a buddy of mine has the mp with a 3.5 trigger job and that was nice. Just my opinion.

kantstudien 12-31-2012 12:58 PM

If you need to stick with the .40 platform, then go with Gen 4.

The Gen III G22 have some problems with malfunctions when you attach a light to it unless it is a Glock light, in which case limits the types of holsters you can use.

Gen 4 was designed from the ground up to be a .40 gun (dual heavier recoil spring), so if you need it to be a model 22 then go Gen 4.

CinnamonBear723 12-31-2012 1:54 PM

The malfunctions from the light come from the light being screwed down to tight on the frame...they went over this, very easy to fix, problem when i went thru the academy. Yes the Gen 4 is slightly better than the Gen 3, but in reality its not that big of a deal. They come with the dual recoil spring and adjustable grips. The basic difference is you wont have to replace the spring as soon as you normally would, and depending on the shooter, "it cuts down felt recoil.'' Personally, i could not tell the difference. I will say that the grips are much nicer though. Either one will out live us all and shoot thousands and thousands of rounds reliably. And remember not to wrench the tac light on as hard as you can...just tighten to the point where it will stay on the gun, dont squeeze the frame with it.

Seaweed02 12-31-2012 3:01 PM

WOW!!!!!!

There have been a lot of replies to this post since I last looked. Thank you everyone for your advice. Even the ones who recommended other guns. And just to let you know, I do have a 1911 but it is a Kimber Custom Eclipse II, not a Commander.

I went ahead and ordered a Gen 3 Glock 22 from my local gun store. The Gen 4's are not available right away and have to be back ordered, so I just got the Gen 3.

I also ordered a Gen 3 Glock 21SF today. Again I wanted the Gen 4 but they are not available so I settled for the Gen 3 with the Short Frame.

Thank you everyone for your responses and advice.

fullrearview 12-31-2012 5:59 PM

I went with the g4. better texture IMHO.

jchappies 01-02-2013 4:37 PM

I Love my gen4 22 red label, it's not for work so i have some trigger work done to it but over-all it is a great gun.

Strikeldr 01-02-2013 10:47 PM

As another post stated above, a new feature is the recoil spring is redesigned on the Gen 4. The Gen 3 recoil spring is rated for 1,000 rounds and the Gen 4 recoil spring is rated at 5,000. You can tell when the Gen 3 spring is worn because the slide gets a little slack in it. I have had to change out the recoil spring on my 2 year old Gen 3 23C several times, but we shoot at least 250 rounds a month.

tangocharlie7 01-09-2013 5:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaweed02 (Post 10070105)
There have been a lot of replies to this post since I last looked. Thank you everyone for your advice. Even the ones who recommended other guns. And just to let you know, I do have a 1911 but it is a Kimber Custom Eclipse II, not a Commander.

I went ahead and ordered a Gen 3 Glock 22 from my local gun store. The Gen 4's are not available right away and have to be back ordered, so I just got the Gen 3.

I also ordered a Gen 3 Glock 21SF today. Again I wanted the Gen 4 but they are not available so I settled for the Gen 3 with the Slim Frame.

Thank you everyone for your responses and advice.

you will love the G3 21SF, never misses!!

Seaweed02 01-13-2013 8:38 AM

Picked up one, started Dros on another

I picked up the Glock 22 Gen3 and have been playing with it so much that my hands hurt. And I am talking about from the comfort of my own living room, while watching football on TV. I have not fired a live round through it yet. I really like the trigger on it. I had bought a Vanek GSSF trigger kit for it while it was still in jail, but now I don't know if I want to put it in or not because the stock trigger is fantastic.

On the 10th I got a call from my local gun store telling me that my Glock 21SF had arrived, so I went down to start the DROS on that one. Now when I was playing with it I noticed the trigger was very different than on the G22. I don't like the trigger on that one, so I will change that one out since I already have the Vanek GSSF trigger kit for it also. Ordered both kits on the same day.

Yesterday when I picked up the G22, I ordered a Gen4 Glock 20. The gun store guy said he couldn't get a Blue Label G20 Gen4, but said he could get a Gen 3. So I told him to just order the Gen 4 and I would pay for it without the Blue Label discount as long as he could get it with high capacity magazines. So that is on order now, and then I am done with buying Glocks.

ElDub1950 01-13-2013 8:50 AM

I'd like a Gen 4 only because of the large backstrap that can be added. But I'd have to do the SSE crap and it's not worth it to me.

URBAN COMMANDO 01-13-2013 12:23 PM

all about preference
I carry a 23 Gen 3

Ammodog 01-18-2013 6:45 AM

Looking for a gen4 19 3 mag. Seems everyone is out due to panic buying.

BigKevLA 01-18-2013 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammodog (Post 10243349)
Looking for a gen4 19 3 mag. Seems everyone is out due to panic buying.

Proforce in Brea.

Claybone 01-18-2013 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kantstudien (Post 10068730)

The Gen III G22 have some problems with malfunctions when you attach a light to it unless it is a Glock light, in which case limits the types of holsters you can use.

Gen 4 was designed from the ground up to be a .40 gun (dual heavier recoil spring), so if you need it to be a model 22 then go Gen 4.

Sorry beg to diff, my gen 3 22 has 4-5k rounds through it with my x300 on it and I think I have had about a dozen malfunctions at the most. Any way how can a gun light have any effect on the gun ?

ironcross 01-18-2013 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallship (Post 10056833)
1. Are you left handed? If so, wait for the Gen4, it has an ambi mag release. 2. Does the Gen3 fit well in your hand? If so, go with the it. The only other difference in the Gen4 is the ability to have the different back grips.

This, I love my Gen 3 22. Best pistol I've ever shot.

IMO: The Gen 4 Is catered for those with adjustment disorders :D

ironcross 01-18-2013 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kantstudien (Post 10068730)

ZERO malfunctions to date with a BlackHawk Xiphos for a SERPA LVLIII.

I've noticed having a light does make the front-end curl up if that makes sense.