Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calgunners in Service (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Off to OSUT! (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=621120)

guitar-nut 09-16-2012 7:54 PM

Off to OSUT!

Tomorrow morning I leave for Ft. Benning for 11B OSUT. I'm a bit nervous but also pretty excited. Wish me luck guys, I'll be back on Calguns come Christmas exodus time.

Mg911guy 09-16-2012 8:04 PM

That's where I went many moons ago, Harmony Church. Good luck and thank you for your service!

"Follow Me"

Snoopy47 09-16-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitar-nut (Post 9340576)
Tomorrow morning I leave for Ft. Benning for 11B OSUT. I'm a bit nervous but also pretty excited. Wish me luck guys, I'll be back on Calguns come Christmas exodus time.

BCT and AIT in the same place. Sounds like super fun time

Staz 09-17-2012 12:04 AM

Good luck and just remember it is what you make of it.

laabstract 09-17-2012 6:28 AM

Volunteer to go to airborne and volunteer for RIP. It all right there!

C.W.M.V. 09-17-2012 7:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mg911guy (Post 9340670)
That's where I went many moons ago, Harmony Church. Good luck and thank you for your service!

"Follow Me"

Oh damn, your dating yourself a bit there!
I fondly remember Sand Hill (no really), its a lot of fun. Man, what a blast!
Your going to love it OP!
Enjoy your first if many 25+ mile marches, ha ha ha...

elevenb 09-17-2012 8:57 AM

30th AG, hah hah hah. worse ****ing week of my life

rero360 09-17-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elevenb (Post 9342878)

I was stuck in it for a month, they were that backlogged with people, and this was pre 9/11.

BillyGoatCrawler 09-17-2012 6:06 PM

just know, mr guitar man, when you hit the "stair way to heaven" that you will wish you that was the hardest part of your future humps to come in the 'stan.

Oh, and the guys in uniform who are wearing stripper boots.... don't mind them, they're just tankers.

Scuba Steve33 09-17-2012 6:16 PM

Can you join as 11B now? If so that's pretty sweet instead of 11X. I know I hoped (and did) to get B and not C.

Good luck, Guitar. I didn't know you joined. Just know everything after Basic gets harder and more serious haha. At least you're not there for the summer heat!

Mg911guy 09-17-2012 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. (Post 9342442)
Oh damn, your dating yourself a bit there!
I fondly remember Sand Hill (no really), its a lot of fun. Man, what a blast!
Your going to love it OP!
Enjoy your first if many 25+ mile marches, ha ha ha...

Ha Ha "many many moons and 60lbs ago" that 25 mile march kicked my a**, Oh don't forget the 12 mile timed march <3 hrs, gotta run and march run and march or you'll never make it in time.

We used to run past the Ranger School @0430 they were already up way before us or never went to sleep.

C.W.M.V. 09-17-2012 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 (Post 9346079)
Can you join as 11B now? If so that's pretty sweet instead of 11X. I know I hoped (and did) to get B and not C.

Good luck, Guitar. I didn't know you joined. Just know everything after Basic gets harder and more serious haha. At least you're not there for the summer heat!

So what your saying is that you weren't smart enough to make the cut for the Mensa of combat arms, the most deadly and hansom war-fighters in all combat MOS's-the Indirect Fire Infantryman MOS 11C...;)

When I joined there were 4 Infantry MOS's, 11B, C, H and M.

I really wanted 11H-Run and drive around killing tanks! YEEEEHAAA!

After that I would have liked 11M, Would have loved to be a Bradly gunner and then commander.

If not those two then 11B, you know, why not.

And I didn't even know what 11C was. Mortar, aren't those artillery pieces?

Take a wild guess which one I got.:rolleyes:
Ill give you a hint-baseplates are HEAVY!

EDIT: On the plus side, mortar school was awesome. All the bravo's went out and played at the mout site and we went to the mortar square.
There were 12 of us, and the drill SSG's ordered servings for 50.
We woke up at 0900, trained on the guns and then had lunch for a few hours. Drills bought us dougnuts! They told us "Well guys your going to be the red-headed step children of any unit you ever end up in. You'll do all that the B's do, plus your mortar mission, and no one will even know WTF 11C is. So in light of that and the fact that no one will give a **** about you until they need fire support were going to take things easy for the week."

That was one hell of a week!

Scuba Steve33 09-17-2012 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. (Post 9346203)
So what your saying is that you weren't smart enough to make the cut for the Mensa of combat arms, the most deadly and hansom war-fighters in all combat MOS's-the Indirect Fire Infantryman MOS 11C...;)

When I joined there were 4 Infantry MOS's, 11B, C, H and M.

I really wanted 11H-Run and drive around killing tanks! YEEEEHAAA!

After that I would have liked 11M, Would have loved to be a Bradly gunner and then commander.

If not those two then 11B, you know, why not.

And I didn't even know what 11C was. Mortar, aren't those artillery pieces?

Take a wild guess which one I got.:rolleyes:
Ill give you a hint-baseplates are HEAVY!

EDIT: On the plus side, mortar school was awesome. All the bravo's went out and played at the mout site and we went to the mortar square.
There were 12 of us, and the drill SSG's ordered servings for 50.
We woke up at 0900, trained on the guns and then had lunch for a few hours. Drills bought us dougnuts! They told us "Well guys your going to be the red-headed step children of any unit you ever end up in. You'll do all that the B's do, plus your mortar mission, and no one will even know WTF 11C is. So in light of that and the fact that no one will give a **** about you until they need fire support were going to take things easy for the week."

That was one hell of a week!

Haha no just family history of 11Bs. That's an awesome story though. We always talked **** to our mortar section but loved them just as much as any B even before we deployed. Especially when they were doing non-field training with the tubes by the parking lot with those candy cane looking things. :D

I got to go to a few mortar ranges and they were pretty sweet. I met one of my best friends at 30th and he got picked for 11C. We ended up being in the same company at Drum and he was with my platoon at our COP most of the deployment. He also got our company's first confirmed kills using the 60. Unfortunately his name is the first one in my signature.

Mg911guy 09-17-2012 7:05 PM

Thanks for your service and sacrifice SS. We all owe you a debt that can never be repaid.

C.W.M.V. 09-17-2012 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 (Post 9346286)
... Especially when they were doing non-field training with the tubes by the parking lot with those candy cane looking things. :D

...Unfortunately his name is the first one in my signature.

They arent candy canes they are AIMING POLES!!!
:D
I wont even say sorry about your buddy, just that I know what that feels like. ****ing sucks.

Scuba Steve33 09-17-2012 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mg911guy (Post 9346408)
Thanks for your service and sacrifice SS. We all owe you a debt that can never be repaid.

Thank you sir I appreciate that but I am a tiny piece with countless others who have done much more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. (Post 9346728)
I wont even say sorry about your buddy, just that I know what that feels like. ****ing sucks.

Yeah whatever you say. I know you guys like to play Candyland but you can do that after work.

I wasn't trying to bring that into this (though I know you know that) but through him I got to do and learn some pretty sweet mortar stuff. You're definitely right about not wanting them until you need them though. That was our (and all 11Bs) mentality haha. The sad reality is it's almost a guarantee if you are infantry (and even most jobs) that you lose someone. KIA bracelets are all too common. I ****ing hate the Army for that.

BillyGoatCrawler 09-18-2012 9:00 AM

Steve,
If you were with 1-32inf, we spent time in the same resort homes of the Kunar prov.

I got lucky, was in a mortar platoon in basic, but our cycle required more 11B - so got through as 11B instead of charlies. Very glad, as that was my preference.

Vepr 54R 09-23-2012 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elevenb (Post 9342878)

Worst TWO weeks of my life.

Scuba Steve33 09-23-2012 2:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Standish (Post 9349521)
Steve,
If you were with 1-32inf, we spent time in the same resort homes of the Kunar prov.

I got lucky, was in a mortar platoon in basic, but our cycle required more 11B - so got through as 11B instead of charlies. Very glad, as that was my preference.

I was in 1-87 more north.

bambam8d1 10-12-2012 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 (Post 9346079)

ya, as far as Im trackin you enlist as 11x... we didnt find out whether we were going 11b or 11b till like halfway through reception at 30th

jeff762 10-12-2012 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. (Post 9346728)

nfl

Milspec714 10-16-2012 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mg911guy (Post 9340670)

"Follow Me"

Nice...

I will cast my shoe over it.... 2nd Batt 54th Inf..94/95

Many moons is right..

:patriot:

Mg911guy 10-16-2012 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milspec714 (Post 9531786)
Nice...

I will cast my shoe over it.... 2nd Batt 54th Inf..94/95

Many moons is right..

Napalm Bulldog 10-25-2012 4:44 PM

I went thru OSUT back in the early 90's Was a 19 kilo. Trained at Ft Knox.

NastyNate 10-25-2012 8:58 PM

Way to step up brother. Thank you for your service and welcome to the club!