Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & How To (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Finish Reaming (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1386881)

arrowshooter 10-11-2017 11:41 AM

Finish Reaming

Just installed a new "short chambered" barrel on my 98 Mauser and was wondering if I could just use motor oil with the finish reamer.

kcstott 10-11-2017 12:12 PM

Just go buy a small bottle of cutting fluid from Home Depot or Lowe’s, they hav dark cutting oil in a small bottle for a few bucks.

arrowshooter 10-11-2017 12:42 PM

I will do that. Thanks!

pklin1297 10-11-2017 1:47 PM

This is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-30203-C...ds=cutting+oil

kcstott 10-12-2017 4:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pklin1297 (Post 20762431)

That’s the stuff.

kcstott 10-12-2017 4:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowshooter (Post 20762158)
I will do that. Thanks!

Be advised, Don’t tell them what you are doing. Most that work at Home Depot or Lowe’s are just mechanically inclined enough to tie their shoes. Not to mention dumb enough to most likely tell you it’s illegal, which it is not. So just ask for “dark thread cutting oil”or “pipe threading oil” or look in the pipe section for it buy it and leave before someone asks you a dumb question

arrowshooter 10-12-2017 7:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcstott (Post 20764948)
Be advised, Don’t tell them what you are doing. Most that work at Home Depot or Lowe’s are just mechanically inclined enough to tie their shoes. Not to mention dumb enough to most likely tell you it’s illegal, which it is not. So just ask for “dark thread cutting oil”or “pipe threading oil” or look in the pipe section for it buy it and leave before someone asks you a dumb question

LOL will do.

kcstott 10-12-2017 8:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowshooter (Post 20765247)
LOL will do.

It’s only funny because it’s true :D

smoothy8500 10-13-2017 3:27 PM

I always tell them I'm building a replica Civil War cannon....or mounting a dildo on the Sawzall.

bigbob76 10-13-2017 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcstott (Post 20762023)
Just go buy a small bottle of cutting fluid from Home Depot or Lowe’s, they hav dark cutting oil in a small bottle for a few bucks.

I'm just curious, what is different about cutting oil? It sounds expensive so I'm guessing it obviously works better in some way.

tr6guns 10-14-2017 5:07 AM

The difference is the additives. Cutting oil is sulpherised. the sulpher acts as a lube to where it it allows the chips to slide away which would otherwise generate heat. It's formulated to Not stick to a heated surface and pass away with the heat unlike a lubricant.

kcstott 10-14-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tr6guns (Post 20773124)
The difference is the additives. Cutting oil is sulpherised. the sulpher acts as a lube to where it it allows the chips to slide away which would otherwise generate heat. It's formulated to Not stick to a heated surface and pass away with the heat unlike a lubricant.

What he said and some lines have extreme pressure adaptive s for bearing load like a good tap Fluid for stainless

kcstott 10-14-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothy8500 (Post 20771227)
I always tell them I'm building a replica Civil War cannon....or mounting a dildo on the Sawzall.

I gotta remember the saws all dildo deal. That would make them run screaming

RustyIron 10-15-2017 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowshooter (Post 20761914)
Just installed a new "short chambered" barrel on my 98 Mauser and was wondering if I could just use motor oil with the finish reamer.

Motor oil isn't the best cutting fluid. If you're looking for something that you're already going to have on hand, something like WD-40 would be a better choice. You'll be making a light cut and doing it slowly,

But since it sounds like you have the skills to do some of your own work, it might behoove you to get the right stuff. Like the others suggested, a dark cutting fluid is good for all-around use. It's high in sulfur and chlorine, which will reduce galling and give you a better finish. A gallon will set you back $25. You might get a smaller amount at Home Depot's plumbing aisle. The downside is that the aroma only appeals to machinists and gearheads.

There are products especially made for reaming and for tapping. You can get small cans for less than ten bucks. Search Amazon for Tap Magic or Rapid Tap.

One key to your success will be the liberal application of cutting fluid. Sloppy is ok. In addition to other things, you'll want it to wash away the chips. You don't want them accumulating at your cutter or scratching up your finished surface.

kcstott 10-16-2017 5:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyIron (Post 20778815)
Motor oil isn't the best cutting fluid. If you're looking for something that you're already going to have on hand, something like WD-40 would be a better choice. You'll be making a light cut and doing it slowly,

I’d recommend motor oil over WD40 any day of the week unless your talking cutting aluminum. He’s finish reaming a chamber, WD40 is only good on aluminum I don’t care how light the cut is.

arrowshooter 10-16-2017 12:16 PM

Thanks all, I bought the Oatey.

TexasJackKin 10-16-2017 4:21 PM

I still got about a can and a half, of the old school rapid tap, I'm saving it for a special occasion.....

kcstott 10-16-2017 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasJackKin (Post 20782884)
I still got about a can and a half, of the old school rapid tap, I'm saving it for a special occasion.....

I go through about a quart a month

bruce381 10-16-2017 8:15 PM

If cutting soft Al any good veg oil / fatty will work WD-40 is more solvent not a good cutting oil at all.

Steel needs a good boundary lube like Sulfur and or Chlorine additives

The additives react with the metal and tool to form a "film" on the tool and work piece this keeps cold wielding or metal buildup from forming on the cutting edge of the tool.

If a amount of metal builds up on the tool edge the work will have a bad finish possibly out of size and the tool can chip at the area reducing size control and if at a area like where the shoulder should be the radius will be messed up etc.

Any way use correct cutting oil solve this just run right speed and feed rates.