Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & How To (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   My Romanian RPK needs some work =( (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=654330)

Mr. Gillious 12-09-2012 8:55 AM

My Romanian RPK needs some work =(

So my AES10-B has a jacked up rivet on the front trunnion.

There is little surface rust here and there and it is bugging the hell out of me.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...nnionrivet.jpg

I'm not sure of how to go about this but ultimately what I would like to do is remove the front and rear trunnions, scrub the hell out of the receiver and trunnions and make sure theres no rust. Switch out the FCG to a tapco g2 single hook, and have the trunnions riveted in nicely.

Is there an AK gunsmith around the bay area?? I am located in South San Francisco

Please let me know

thanks

TKM 12-09-2012 9:36 AM

A bucket of black paint and a roller ought to do the trick. Maybe rhino liner.

It's an RPK, even pretty it's still pretty damn ugly. You are looking at a lot of work for a minimal improvement.

I hammered mine together with blunt objects found in someone else's garage.

If the screws holding the trigger guard in and the hammer marks don't bother me, the finish on the rivets certainly won't.

CSACANNONEER 12-09-2012 9:56 AM

It's just an AK. The rivet isn't perfect but, it is 100% functional and within the loose AK tolerances. The real beauty of the AKM is that they don't have to be perfect to work perfectly. The surface rust is on you. It's neglect on your part. Again, part of the beauty of an AK or AKM is that it will function fine after years of neglect.

nicoroshi 12-09-2012 9:58 AM

The rivet that is jacked does not require removal of the front trunnion to replace. It's accessible through the mag well. 5 minute job max.
As for rust I recommend taking out the FCG, and getting a good rust preventive spray, and a toothbrush then commence scrubbing.
If you need help with that rivet I have extra rivets, and can help you replace that in short order. I am in concord.
Switching out to a tapco G2 FCG also does not require demilling the rifle. I can help with that too if you'd like.
Nico

TURBOELKY 12-09-2012 10:19 AM

You can always get an AR....

Jayruta 12-09-2012 10:34 AM

Just redo that front rivet and find someone to help you blast and repark it... rust and protection done. /thread

SJgunguy24 12-09-2012 4:46 PM

Replace the rivet then piss on it to get that nice even coating of surface rust that all commie guns truly desire.

kcstott 12-09-2012 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bareback (Post 9882838)
You can always get an AR....

And a instruction book for lego's too:D

hoozaru 12-09-2012 5:00 PM

masktape the area first, use a grinder carefully remove the rivet's head, center punch it, start drilling with a 3mm bit, then with a 4mm bit, the remaining rivet should come out easily. Modify a heavy duty bolt cutter or just buy a rivet crusher for installing the new rivet in place.

Rust on an AK is nothing, as long as the bore is not rusty

Gowking 12-09-2012 8:34 PM

Curious as to what FCG it currently has. I would expect that to have a US FCG as is and if it's a century import it might have a Tapco trigger set in it now.

-MRA

Eddie1965 12-09-2012 9:06 PM

My AES-10B came with a Tapco FCG.

Ryan in SD 12-10-2012 5:18 AM

I would just wire brush the rust....with a hammer

Mr. Gillious 12-10-2012 6:43 AM

Yes, I get it. It's an AK, it can take abuse this and that, A little rust is nothing cause it's an AK. Dang, I wonder how some people on here take care of the things they love.

I'm not one to sweep dust under carpets or even cough on something just to make it shine. I have a mechanics mentality where if you want something a certain way it will become that way if you make it that way. This RPK has been on my wishlist for quite some time. I bought this aes10-b about 2-3 weeks ago and the seller obviously did not give it much love.

Yes, it has a few cuts but it is actually something I'm willing to strip and paint over. The RPK I had on my mind before this purchase was a nice black finish like a waffen works or arsenal. But this thing is rough. LOL i don't even like the finish on the barrel. BUT, it's an RPK and i'm frikin happy to have it.

I know this might be a repeat question, but does anyone know where I can get a carry handle for this thing and an RPK rear sight? I've been trying to look online but i've had no success

thanks all for the replies

6mmintl 12-10-2012 7:16 AM

You dont want to carry that out in the open and get it scratched or invite more rust,
Play it safe, transport it in a bag up to the 50 yard sniper line.

Mr. Gillious 12-10-2012 7:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6mmintl (Post 9888239)
You dont want to carry that out in the open and get it scratched or invite more rust,

What a great idea!!

TATER313 12-10-2012 8:52 AM

Like others said replace one rivet, sand blasting will take care of all rust and you can park it or paint with cerakote. good luck

nicoroshi 12-10-2012 8:57 AM

RPK sights can be had on akfiles in the marketplace.
They can also be had >>>here<<<
My offer still stands for helping you fix that rivet.
FYI arsenals use rattle can spray paint if memory serves.

@6mmintl,
Very helpful there bud :rolleyes:

TURBOELKY 12-10-2012 9:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Gillious (Post 9888126)
Yes, I get it. It's an AK, it can take abuse this and that, A little rust is nothing cause it's an AK. Dang, I wonder how some people on here take care of the things they love.

I'm not one to sweep dust under carpets or even cough on something just to make it shine. I have a mechanics mentality where if you want something a certain way it will become that way if you make it that way. This RPK has been on my wishlist for quite some time. I bought this aes10-b about 2-3 weeks ago and the seller obviously did not give it much love.

Yes, it has a few cuts but it is actually something I'm willing to strip and paint over. The RPK I had on my mind before this purchase was a nice black finish like a waffen works or arsenal. But this thing is rough. LOL i don't even like the finish on the barrel. BUT, it's an RPK and i'm frikin happy to have it.

I know this might be a repeat question, but does anyone know where I can get a carry handle for this thing and an RPK rear sight? I've been trying to look online but i've had no success

thanks all for the replies

The reality is, the receiver looks weird like its actually bulging out and around the rivet. The picture also looks like you can slip a piece of paper through the back side of the rivet like the hole was drilled offset. It looks like it will be more of a repair than just removal and replacement of that rivet.

For finish, just get the rust off and paint it. Alumahide rattle can, or krylon rattle can will do just fine.

Quote:

Your comments have not gotten any better since your dumb screw build comments...

6mmintl 12-11-2012 7:43 AM

Why is it I have not seen a AK screw build failure example/discussion on this forum?

Forum seems to be "Populated" with home built AK rivet, assembly, barrel/gas tube alignment issues, and or purchased rifle assembly/function failures.

Screw build failures must be a myth perpetrated by the tribal elders.

Gowking 12-11-2012 8:18 AM

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm...3aa9090d30.jpg

-MRA

nicoroshi 12-11-2012 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6mmintl (Post 9894829)
Why is it I have not seen a AK screw build failure example/discussion on this forum?

Forum seems to be "Populated" with home built AK rivet, assembly, barrel/gas tube alignment issues, and or purchased rifle assembly/function failures.

Screw build failures must be a myth perpetrated by the tribal elders.

You believe what you'd like to believe.
It has been explained many times by people who have studied fasteners more than you or I ever could (including a certain injured Russian tank mechanic back in 1946).

When you know what kind of response you will get (and have gotten repeatedly here) yet you press the same BS over and over again without any concrete evidence to support your view, and to boot make make useless, unhelpful, and completely untrue comments like>>>
Quote:

There is a word for forum posters like you.:troll:

Now where is that ignore button. I am done even trying to read your drivel anymore.

I am sorry to the OP for this hijack of your thread.
My offer still stands to help you out if you'd like.
I am only a PM away.

Ryan in SD 12-11-2012 3:40 PM

Amen Nico, amen.

Its not even beating a dead horse anymore. Its turning the dead horse into a red soup.

6mmintl 12-11-2012 6:03 PM

I need data that mata, not tribal fairytails.

WTSGDYBBR 12-11-2012 7:44 PM

Mr. Gillious here is a little write up I made that shows you how to demill that rivet with out screwing up your receiver and fix it like Nicoroshi said this is a cake walk repair.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116548

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Gillious (Post 9882412)
So my AES10-B has a jacked up rivet on the front trunnion.

There is little surface rust here and there and it is bugging the hell out of me.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...nnionrivet.jpg

I'm not sure of how to go about this but ultimately what I would like to do is remove the front and rear trunnions, scrub the hell out of the receiver and trunnions and make sure theres no rust. Switch out the FCG to a tapco g2 single hook, and have the trunnions riveted in nicely.

Is there an AK gunsmith around the bay area?? I am located in South San Francisco

Please let me know

thanks

kcstott 12-11-2012 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6mmintl (Post 9899447)

Six mil
Do the math. I'll enlighten you. When calculating the tensile strength of a fastener you discount the difference between major and minor diameters.
So like for like size a rivet is stronger. Pure and simple.

Now I already wrote up a full frigging page on why a rivet should be used over a screw. Why a screw is a bad idea in this application etc etc...

Screws may be easier but they are not necessarily better.

Screws are stronger in tension then shear. Rivets are stronger in shear then tension.
The forces involved in the AK are nearly all shear. The first order force is in shear. The third or less order forces are tension and twist.

TATER313 12-11-2012 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoroshi (Post 9898036)
You believe what you'd like to believe.
It has been explained many times by people who have studied fasteners more than you or I ever could (including a certain injured Russian tank mechanic back in 1946).

When you know what kind of response you will get (and have gotten repeatedly here) yet you press the same BS over and over again without any concrete evidence to support your view, and to boot make make useless, unhelpful, and completely untrue comments like>>>

There is a word for forum posters like you.:troll:

Now where is that ignore button. I am done even trying to read your drivel anymore.

I am sorry to the OP for this hijack of your thread.
My offer still stands to help you out if you'd like.
I am only a PM away.

Agreed, Nico I think he wants to get the thread flaming.

Ryan in SD 12-12-2012 1:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6mmintl (Post 9899447)

Go to college and take engineering. Quit using the forum for your own selfish reasons.

You have been told many times the differences. I can't believe you have not been warned by an admin yet. Please go back to your old threads and post there. Dont screw up other peoples threads. :oji:

I will give my .02 on one of your threads if you start another one.

But please dont.

6mmintl 12-12-2012 5:41 AM

Nicoroshi sent me a PM with pics of screw build failure, two of four button head screws popped off and upper receiver holes elongated, holes elongated as he stated “Due to weak recoil spring battering rear trunion”.

I PM/answered below, his pics disappeared from my CG inbox message? why?

Nicoroshi, Interesting but have a few questions.

Rear trunion does not look to be original, assume its cast steel? are originals forged/machined billet from various country's?

Can you see battering on parts kits original rear trunnions indicating weak recoil springs prior to rebuild?

Dont see any discussion on replacing recoil springs "Just in case".

Another rivet/pin/recoil lug seems in order if this is a potential design error.

Why no "Flat Head Screw" builds? definitly more surface contact area in shear with countersink into trunion but is there enough "Meat" (wall thickness") in the rear trunion?

Failure mode seems to be a design/parts failure and not a fastener issue, I dont see a rivet holding up for long in this scenario either.

Expecting these gun builds to digest various surplus ammo let alone hotter handloads seems to be a potential receiver failure waiting to happen.

I still cannot believe local builders can rivet as good/strong/secure/proper rivet mtl. as the original factory process.

Maybe a Rivet failure mode sticky is in order?

Im tempted to build an RPK with a .308 dim. barrel and adjustable gas block to see what these beasts can do accuracy wise with good bullets and handloads at distance.

6mmintl 12-12-2012 5:50 AM

Forgot to add/ask, do all AK's batter rear trunnions as part of their bolt travel stop or is this a hot reload issue?

Their seems to be enough rivet issues routinely discussed to point out a problem with kit rivets. I dont hear/see any discussion or examples of original rivet failures from mfg's.

TATER313 12-12-2012 8:03 AM

The rivet on the above photo does not look like failure, just poor technigue when crushing rivet. 1919's, M2 50 cals are also riveted, not screwed together for the same reason. cant have screws falling out on the battle field.

TURBOELKY 12-12-2012 9:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6mmintl (Post 9902495)
Forgot to add/ask, do all AK's batter rear trunnions as part of their bolt travel stop or is this a hot reload issue?

Their seems to be enough rivet issues routinely discussed to point out a problem with kit rivets. I dont hear/see any discussion or examples of original rivet failures from mfg's.

What would work better to keep your mouth shut...rivets or screws?

I can't believe your still so butthurt over this issue!! Go build one of each type of build (screw & rivet). Shoot 10k through each, and report back. You talk all this data from what you supposedly read...do your own research!!! Til then, take a hike Jack, this is real live action...your opinion was not warranted, nor regarded in this forum. Your opinions are like AR15's... Many ways to finish that line hahaha.

6mmintl 12-12-2012 2:15 PM

bareback
You need to practice some tolerance and acceptance, my butt is just fine. Thank you for the kind words again.

Were in the opinion and personal experience relating on this forum and you dont seem open to rational discussion, Your good at personal attacks or people bashing just because you disagree with differing opinions.

You need a forum group hug.

TURBOELKY 12-12-2012 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6mmintl (Post 9905803)
bareback
You need to practice some tolerance and acceptance, my butt is just fine. Thank you for the kind words again.

Were in the opinion and personal experience relating on this forum and you dont seem open to rational discussion, Your good at personal attacks or people bashing just because you disagree with differing opinions.

You need a forum group hug.

:beatdeadhorse5:

Yup, you got me all figured out. Go tell a moderator

And oh yeah, how many peoples posts will you continue to troll for the opportunity to spam your screw vs. rivet ignorance?
This is why the "personal attacks".. Matter of fact, I think it's just you!?

mrlonewolf 12-12-2012 4:38 PM

Not bright posts.

This thread is done.