Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   General gun discussions (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Anyone ever had their gun stolen at a range? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=644395)

johnny1290 11-15-2012 12:06 AM

Anyone ever had their gun stolen at a range?

I was just thinking about going into the office at Angeles you leave your guns on the table outside and how some people freak out about it. I did the first time I went there I guess then stopped worrying about it.

Has anyone ever had a gun stolen while they went inside to pay for admission?

I was just thinking you can tell a new person there by how paranoid they get, but hey, maybe there's good reason.

Deadwood Dick 11-15-2012 2:03 AM

About 30 years ago I had a Ruger Red Label stolen at Oak Tree. Someone just walked off with it after dark while I was in the bar/cafe. I was told that was the first time that ever happened. I can see that happening very easy nowadays at Angeles, more unsavory types hanging around.

jyo 11-15-2012 2:04 AM

I went trap shooting with the staff of the gun store I managed (the owner wanted us to trap shooting regularly)---we would often "test fire" some of the used shotguns at this point. Anyway, one evening we were at Oaktree where we would shoot a round or two of trap, go inside and have a beer and maybe a munchie. While we were inside, the shotguns were lined up outside on a common rack---one time we discovered that one of the shotguns was missing, but a little down the rack was another of the same model---yeah the owner had mistakenly picked-up the store's shotgun and left his own. Lucky enough, the went to wipe "his" gun down before leaving the range and in the better light of the indoors discovered he had the wrong gun.

uhlan1 11-15-2012 8:38 AM

I worry most about renters at indoor ranges. i would think such things would be extremely rare among enthusiasts.

i had a box of .40 lifted once and have a friend who had a couple of mags stolen somewhere else, out of state actually. I try to get a lane and table way down away from the rental crowd. Hey, I'm in Watsonville, where the smart thing to do is to leave nothing of value in your car and don't lock it. 55k people and 1000 gangbangers and associates.
I purposely don't have nice stereos. they'll cause more damage getting one out than one is worth.

alfred1222 11-15-2012 9:52 AM

I Haven't had anything stolen, but i think it's because im allowed to carry in a holster at every range that I go to. People stay away from my stuff

Rob454 11-15-2012 2:26 PM

I had a guy who was standing very close to my guns once and checking them out. Could of been a innocent guy checking them out and he didn't exactly seem like he was gonna do a grab and run. Later i found out he wanted to know if my heavy barrel Savage was accurate so I let him shoot it.
other than that I had a few people comment on my S&W 357 and 44 and I asked if they wanted to shoot them. Other than that never had a issue with anyone grabbing and trying to run of with my guns. Thats a very good way to get shot or get a beatin.

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN 11-15-2012 2:30 PM

nope. i watch my stuff like a hawk.

shooting4life 11-15-2012 2:50 PM

I watch my stuff closely. I prefer to go to a range with a buddy. One stays by the guns and the other goes and changes targets.

hermosabeach 11-15-2012 2:56 PM

A speak with the manager of an indoor range.
He told a story about a customer calling in looking for a missing gun.

They caught the theft on the video system. A fun was left unattended and was picked up by another customer when they left the range.

It is an uncommon experience as most gun owners are law abiding and understand what they will lose if caught stealing a firearm.

Rob454 11-15-2012 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermosabeach (Post 9729866)
A speak with the manager of an indoor range.
He told a story about a customer calling in looking for a missing gun.

They caught the theft on the video system. A fun was left unattended and was picked up by another customer when they left the range.

It is an uncommon experience as most gun owners are law abiding and understand what they will lose if caught stealing a firearm.

Manl I remember the last time I left fun unattended. Wasn't pretty.

Colt562 11-15-2012 4:06 PM

Nope I watch over my stuff like a mama bear watching over her cubs.

Japsican 11-15-2012 4:13 PM

I do not trust anyone I do not know as a close friend or family member.

five.five-six 11-15-2012 4:19 PM

Someone stole my brass 1 time does that count?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Kurus214 11-15-2012 4:19 PM

I watch my stuff, and leave the GF watching it when I need to walk away.
All it takes is one loser to wreck a good day.

TeddyBallgame 11-15-2012 4:26 PM

my aim was stolen years ago, never got it back :)

seriously though, i go to the range very early and never on the weekend, its usually pretty empty, but, its a no brainer, you have to keep an eye on your stuff...its like having your purse, YES I MIGHT JUST CARRY A PURSE, in your shopping cart at the grocery store...you have to watch it

Wallabing 11-15-2012 4:35 PM

Someone took/stole a boxes of ammo on two occasions.

myk 11-16-2012 12:51 AM

Anything can get stolen at anytime, anywhere. Nothing's safe, and there is no "code of honor" among shooters...

uhlan1 11-16-2012 6:02 AM

I dunno. Though there are thieves in every group, I worry a lot less if the people shooting around me are serious players with their own stuff as opposed to renters out yahooing.
I'm not saying to throw all caution to the wind, but I don't worry about it nearly as much.
Had the same thing happen as another poster. Kept noticing a guy spying my XDM Competition that was on a table. Got nervous and went over. he was just curious about it. Nice guy. Let him shoot it and dang if he didn't shoot it better than I do.

JDPhx501 11-16-2012 6:10 AM

Only takes one person to f*** it up for everybody else.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

We always leave all our stuff in the car, run up the hill, fill out the forms and pay in the office, then run down and get our stuff. Having multiple guns on the tables outside the office at Angeles only clutters up the place and makes it harder for other people to fill out their forms.

We always say the next time we'll fill out our forms at home but never end up doing that....

toby 11-16-2012 6:18 AM

I would not EVER venture any further than about 20' from my guns if I were at a shooting range especially one like Burro canyon.. just look around you that should be a RED flag Angeles should be a better place tho I still would not take a chance.

Mesa Tactical 11-16-2012 8:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDPhx501 (Post 9733994)
We always leave all our stuff in the car, run up the hill, fill out the forms and pay in the office, then run down and get our stuff. Having multiple guns on the tables outside the office at Angeles only clutters up the place and makes it harder for other people to fill out their forms.

Absolutely. Do the paperwork first, then go get your stuff (actually, we usually drive the car up to the benches to unload).

Nonetheless, we routinely walk back and forth between the rifle range and the pistol range, leaving out stuff on the back benches. Never occurred to us to worry about it. Hard to imagine someone actually walking up and carrying an M1 or an SKS off, but I suppose anything is possible. But we spend more time worrying about what is likely than what is possible.

-hanko 11-16-2012 8:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfred1222 (Post 9727996)
I Haven't had anything stolen, but i think it's because im allowed to carry in a holster at every range that I go to. People stay away from my stuff

Same here...my range is gated, members have a key to the lock. Unless we personally know everyone on the line, it's holstered-handgun time.

-hanko

TheExiled 11-16-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny1290 (Post 9726455)
I was just thinking about going into the office at Angeles you leave your guns on the table outside and how some people freak out about it. I did the first time I went there I guess then stopped worrying about it.

Has anyone ever had a gun stolen while they went inside to pay for admission?

I was just thinking you can tell a new person there by how paranoid they get, but hey, maybe there's good reason.

When I go to Angeles, I go pay and get my target stand with the guns in the truck, then get the guns. If Im with someone else, we take turns going in. Ive seen some 'undesirables' there, and heard of peoples' ammo and mags walking away off the back benches, so you can never be too safe. When I shoot alone, I keep my ruck under my bench right next to me

perpetual otter 11-16-2012 10:22 AM

I had some pmags and a couple boxes of ammo stolen at ASR. Two different events.

It's cool though as I later found a box of high caps (standard capacity) for every gun I frequently use just lying around the trash can. I guess the previous owner didn't need them... Fair trade I guess. ;)

triggatronic 11-16-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheExiled (Post 9735198)
When I go to Angeles, I go pay and get my target stand with the guns in the truck, then get the guns. If Im with someone else, we take turns going in. Ive seen some 'undesirables' there, and heard of peoples' ammo and mags walking away off the back benches, so you can never be too safe. When I shoot alone, I keep my ruck under my bench right next to me

I do the same at Angeles. Pay my fees, hit the john, hotdog stand or whatever I need to do then I grab my stuff out of the trunk of my car to set up. When shooting alone I never use the back tables. But when my friends are with me we take turns so none of our stuff gets lifted.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

Yemff 11-16-2012 3:12 PM

just lock your case to your rascal... or make 2 trips to the car, it is only 100 feet to the parking lot.

santamonica9 11-16-2012 11:00 PM

i watch my stuff. go with a trusted friend and have someone watching out always. Ive packed everything up and luged it from rifle to pistol due to this reason at angeles. I also sign in first without unloading guns etc.

bsg 11-17-2012 5:55 AM

i take care of my firearms, including safeguarding them.

guns4life 11-17-2012 5:58 AM

I found an LWRC AR pistol at the range once, saw the guy leave with a bunc of gear and thought he was coming back...30min later it was still there. I turned it in an the guy eventually came back for it.

perpetual otter 11-17-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guns4life (Post 9739934)
I found an LWRC AR pistol at the range once, saw the guy leave with a bunc of gear and thought he was coming back...30min later it was still there. I turned it in an the guy eventually came back for it.

Good for you bro. I'd buy you a beer.

Yugo 11-17-2012 11:25 AM

I like Turtles

email 11-17-2012 12:02 PM

I go in the office first, then back to the vehicle to unload.

The Gleam 11-17-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny1290 (Post 9726455)

New? I've been going to Angeles since 1993 on a frequent basis; surely not new, and I would never do anything so dumb as leave my guns unattended; I don't think it's paranoid at all. Especially on handguns. And it doesn't even have to do with theft; idiots mosey up and start fondling it, such as on an obscure rifle they've just GOT to put their mitts on - their eyes alone aren't enough. And I never use the backtables except for when going through gear or leaving something of no value.

Unless I were at the range by myself (which has actually happened a couple of times during the week, on rainy days) guns are always within my reach, never left unattended

Your guns, your responsibility, and they aren't cheap the last time I checked.

new1911 11-17-2012 1:02 PM

they should set up some sort of metal link attached to the table so you can use all those gun locks accumulated over the years. lock them up like you would your bicycle.

FourTenJaeger 11-17-2012 1:13 PM

I had a Beretta 92 and a Helwan lifted by an ex's scumbag friend. Got them back after a little ''trial and error''. :)