Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=327)
-   -   T/C Compass $198.98 (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1400608)

morrcarr67 11-17-2017 4:11 PM

T/C Compass $198.98

I'm not real familiar with their bolt action rifles but thought this was a pretty good price for what might be an entry level rifle.

Price is after rebate.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d707237628.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

rm1911 11-18-2017 12:30 PM

Iíve seen a few reviews on the YouTube. Seems like they are good shooters. As a first or backup hunting rifle. Probably a great idea.

I think T/C is looking at interest in it right now and seeing if they can expand the line, like ruger has done with the American.

Varg Vikernes 11-18-2017 12:31 PM

I think Bass Pro has the same price at BF

edit: never been to a Turners but they just opened one up in the Bay Area, do they sell powder?

morrcarr67 11-18-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varg Vikernes (Post 20921367)
I think Bass Pro has the same price at BF

edit: never been to a Turners but they just opened one up in the Bay Area, do they sell powder?

I don't know. Never really looked before.

roostersgt 11-18-2017 1:07 PM

Just got one. Incredible value and a real tack driver. Using hand loaded SST's I'm getting 1" - sub MOA groups regularly. Gun feels really cheesy, but can't argue with the results. A $200 rifle shooting better than my ones costing 10 times as much. Can't wait to see what the newly ordered eBay muzzle brake does to it's already low recoil. This gun will be used for really nasty weather and antelope hunts. Can't say enough about what a great deal it was.

morrcarr67 11-18-2017 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roostersgt (Post 20921470)
Just got one. Incredible value and a real tack driver. Using hand loaded SST's I'm getting 1" - sub MOA groups regularly. Gun feels really cheesy, but can't argue with the results. A $200 rifle shooting better than my ones costing 10 times as much. Can't wait to see what the newly ordered eBay muzzle brake does to it's already low recoil. This gun will be used for really nasty weather and antelope hunts. Can't say enough about what a great deal it was.

That's good to hear. Nice to get feedback from someone who owns one. What caliber do you have?

roostersgt 11-18-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morrcarr67 (Post 20921488)
That's good to hear. Nice to get feedback from someone who owns one. What caliber do you have?

270 Win

pennstater 11-19-2017 9:13 AM

Heck, I like the price on the Ruger 10/22! Merry Christmas to me.
Oh, btw, Have heard good things regarding the T/C.

TMB 1 11-19-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennstater (Post 20924299)
Heck, I like the price on the Ruger 10/22! Merry Christmas to me.
Oh, btw, Have heard good things regarding the T/C.

Are you going to have to camp out at store all night to get one at that price?

pennstater 11-19-2017 11:49 AM

Naw. Not a one day sale. If I get one, great. If not, well, dang. I have my 39A to shoot. But, that is a good price nowadays.
Back to our regular scheduled programming. Sorry.

JackEllis 11-19-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

A $200 rifle shooting better than my ones costing 10 times as much.
You're making me regret buying the two Tikkas I own. Sort of.

roostersgt 11-19-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackEllis (Post 20924905)
You're making me regret buying the two Tikkas I own. Sort of.

Don't, it's certainly not a Tikka, it just shoots really really well. The only pride of ownership and"bragging rights" it brings to the campfire dithering is it has to be one of the absolute cheapest accurate rifles on the planet, nothing more. It's kind of like a Toyota truck with 300K miles on it and still making it to hunting camp each year and parking it next to your buddies $65K trucks.

TMB 1 11-19-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennstater (Post 20924852)
Naw. Not a one day sale. If I get one, great. If not, well, dang. I have my 39A to shoot. But, that is a good price nowadays.
Back to our regular scheduled programming. Sorry.

I was just guessing that they'll sell out in first hour or two of opening day of the sale at that price.

morrcarr67 11-19-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMB 1 (Post 20924955)
I was just guessing that they'll sell out in first hour or two of opening day of the sale at that price.

Probably depends on the caliber.

JackEllis 11-19-2017 3:30 PM

Quote:

The only pride of ownership and"bragging rights" it brings to the campfire dithering is it has to be one of the absolute cheapest accurate rifles on the planet, nothing more.
My rifles are tools for hunting. Tikkas seemed like they provided what the Brits call good value for money when I decided to buy them. These Compass rifles seem like they provide even better value for money. If my hunting partners ever convince me to get a .300 Win Mag, I might consider a Compass based on your review.

Hard to believe they're a better deal than the Winchester 670 I bought ages ago for a hundred bucks.

roostersgt 11-19-2017 3:49 PM

$75 rebate ends Dec 31. Still wouldn't be a bad deal at $274.99, but the rebate sealed the deal for me.

FishnHunt 11-19-2017 6:33 PM

Id sell a $2000 gun if a 200 gun out shoots it.
Regarding tikkas. Not very many rifles feel and shot as good as tikka.
I Held the compass and it feels worse than the RAR. And I love my TC venture.

morrcarr67 11-20-2017 7:47 AM

Is it the stock that makes it feel cheap?

Reason I ask is that Boyd's have some nice stocks for just over $150.

roostersgt 11-20-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morrcarr67 (Post 20927659)
Is it the stock that makes it feel cheap?

Reason I ask is that Boyd's have some nice stocks for just over $150.

Both stock and bolt seem cheesy to me. Stock can be strengthened with epoxy, but the bolt? Works well, just not the best fit (lots of wobble when pulled all the way back) and just looks slapped together.

My rifles, mostly pre-'64, are hunting rifles in original condition and shoot 2MOA or a bit less. Nobody in their right mind would get rid of such fine looking and functional pieces of art / history simply because a CNC mass produced ugly and characterless rifle of a different caliber outshoots them. The T/C is the latter, a great shooting rifle, but lacking in many other areas the "fine" rifles have in abundance. Tikkas feel like handling a 2x4 compared to old Winchesters, Sakos, Sauers, Husqvarnas, Rugers, Springfields etc... Tikkas are great shooters, but in a totally different class. They're upscale economy rifles and well suited for that niche. If cost wasn't a factor, and the difference in accuracy was only about 1MOA, one honestly wouldn't pick a Tikka over any of the mentioned rifles. That being said, I'd take a Tikka over my new T/C any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

morrcarr67 11-20-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roostersgt (Post 20928559)
Both stock and bolt seem cheesy to me. Stock can be strengthened with epoxy, but the bolt? Works well, just not the best fit (lots of wobble when pulled all the way back) and just looks slapped together.

My rifles, mostly pre-'64, are hunting rifles in original condition and shoot 2MOA or a bit less. Nobody in their right mind would get rid of such fine looking and functional pieces of art / history simply because a CNC mass produced ugly and characterless rifle of a different caliber outshoots them. The T/C is the latter, a great shooting rifle, but lacking in many other areas the "fine" rifles have in abundance. Tikkas feel like handling a 2x4 compared to old Winchesters, Sakos, Sauers, Husqvarnas, Rugers, Springfields etc... Tikkas are great shooters, but in a totally different class. They're upscale economy rifles and well suited for that niche. If cost wasn't a factor, and the difference in accuracy was only about 1MOA, one honestly wouldn't pick a Tikka over any of the mentioned rifles. That being said, I'd take a Tikka over my new T/C any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'm not real fond of sloppy bolts either. I've glass bedded a few stocks in my time too.

I was thinking about getting one in .223 for a little target shooting.

I may keep looking.

Jimmy's 11-20-2017 12:02 PM

The compass in a truck box rifle.

roostersgt 11-20-2017 12:15 PM

For $200 it can't be beat. Would make a fine truck box gun, first rifle, back up, or loaner rifle. Plan on shooting the crap out of mine. New Remm ADL stock and bolt don't seem much better either. Got one recently with scope from cabbalas for $359 after rebate.

TMB 1 11-20-2017 12:27 PM

A Boyds stock is an improvement on all the cheap plastic stocks I've handled. They can totally change someone's opinion on a rifle that had a cheap plastic stock.

JackEllis 11-20-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

My rifles, mostly pre-'64, are hunting rifles in original condition and shoot 2MOA or a bit less. Nobody in their right mind would get rid of such fine looking and functional pieces of art / history simply because a CNC mass produced ugly and characterless rifle of a different caliber outshoots them.
No argument from me. OTOH I'd be reluctant to take a nice Winchester out in the field where it IS going to get beat up.

Not knocking collectors but unless I can display nice rifles as the works of art they are without having to worry about theft, I don't see the point in owning them. Even if I lust after some of them from time to time.

floogy 11-20-2017 12:53 PM

I picked one up in 308 a few days ago. Need to mount and boresight the scope still (rings come today). The bolt is somewhat loose, but it locks up tight. The stock is not amazing, obviously. But I like it a lot better than an Axis stock because the it's not as thin in the wrist and isn't as hollow feeling. Boyds makes their stocks for the Compass now. So while I feel that the current one is adequate, the option is there. It wasn't when I first started looking at a Compass.

It does what could be asked of a hunting rifle. Make 1-2 shots accurately and is light enough to carry around.

While I appreciate old world craftmanship, I don't necessarily want to bang it around in the woods.

pennstater 11-20-2017 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMB 1 (Post 20924955)

You're probably right. If I can get my hands on one, excellent. If not, oh well.
I;ll just wind up buying more handloading supplies. Not from Turner's tho.

FishnHunt 11-21-2017 6:51 AM

Let me back paddle or clarify here, Not saying I rather have a compass over a pre 64 or other fine rifles.
Thought we were talking hunting rifles here not safe queens/collector items.
I have a CZ, Winchester, and sauer in my safe, but for every day hunting, where you are hiking out miles every day and the gun will shoot anything you feed it at moa, smooth as glass action, tikka is the winner.

JackEllis 11-24-2017 5:52 PM

Quote:

I have a CZ, Winchester, and sauer in my safe, but for every day hunting, where you are hiking out miles every day and the gun will shoot anything you feed it at moa, smooth as glass action, tikka is the winner.
I have a Winchester 670 in .30-06 and a Tikka in .243. The 670 HAS shot anything I've put through it. The Tikka tends to be a bit fussier about what it will chamber, though that problem is easily solved with hand loads. I've been successful hunting with both rifles.

Does anyone know whether the stock on a T/C can be replaced without a lot of effort and expense? Apparently the factory stock is known for flexing a bit.

Flouncer 11-24-2017 6:32 PM

Here it is again, the bolt is sloppy when it "is pulled all the way back" That is inherent in any bolt rifle. Just web bs that is sloppy.

TMB 1 11-24-2017 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackEllis (Post 20945767)
I have a Winchester 670 in .30-06 and a Tikka in .243. The 670 HAS shot anything I've put through it. The Tikka tends to be a bit fussier about what it will chamber, though that problem is easily solved with hand loads. I've been successful hunting with both rifles.

Does anyone know whether the stock on a T/C can be replaced without a lot of effort and expense? Apparently the factory stock is known for flexing a bit.

Boyds have stocks for them.

WMG 11-25-2017 4:12 PM

In PA I have seen sales at 3 different stores for these for $179 at each place.
I have a low threshold on impulses and may have to act but what caliber? I don't need any of them to be honest.

morrcarr67 11-25-2017 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMG (Post 20948940)
In PA I have seen sales at 3 different stores for these for $179 at each place.
I have a low threshold on impulses and may have to act but what caliber? I don't need any of them to be honest.

.223 Remington

WMG 11-25-2017 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morrcarr67 (Post 20948962)
.223 Remington

And then what? I got bolt , single shot and semi - auto .223's.
I suspect I would want at least something in a decent deer size caliber ... or 7.62x39 but don't think the T/C is out in that yet

morrcarr67 11-25-2017 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMG (Post 20949023)
And then what? I got bolt , single shot and semi - auto .223's.
I suspect I would want at least something in a decent deer size caliber ... or 7.62x39 but don't think the T/C is out in that yet

Okay then how about the 6.5 Creedmoor?

WMG 11-25-2017 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morrcarr67 (Post 20949032)
Okay then how about the 6.5 Creedmoor?

And then what :D
seriously I only want one due to the price ......unless it was 7.62x39 of course as I need another one of those for no reason at all...........it just stinks to be in the boat of down sizing and see something for a price that made you wish you would get it.
I'd only be looking to sell it within the year
But you know ..... what $179 for a center fire rifle?
I think I'm going shopping tomorrow.
I'm leaning .243 as that my be a good caliber come time to sell it.

morrcarr67 11-25-2017 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMG (Post 20949056)
And then what :D
seriously I only want one due to the price ......unless it was 7.62x39 of course as I need another one of those for no reason at all...........it just stinks to be in the boat of down sizing and see something for a price that made you wish you would get it.
I'd only be looking to sell it within the year
But you know ..... what $179 for a center fire rifle?
I think I'm going shopping tomorrow.
I'm leaning .243 as that my be a good caliber come time to sell it.

Yeah, but the 6.5 is the new kid on the block while the .243 is an old man.

Varg Vikernes 11-25-2017 5:03 PM

6.5CM is a barrel burner though.

morrcarr67 11-25-2017 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varg Vikernes (Post 20949084)
6.5CM is a barrel burner though.

Anything that flys at close to 3K fps is going to do that.

WMG 11-25-2017 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morrcarr67 (Post 20949060)
Yeah, but the 6.5 is the new kid on the block while the .243 is an old man.

So you're saying the 6.5 is a millennial , while the 243 has been there and done that and sits on the porch passing out how he did it back in the day .......well ..... the .243 it is then

morrcarr67 11-25-2017 7:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMG (Post 20949512)
So you're saying the 6.5 is a millennial , while the 243 has been there and done that and sits on the porch passing out how he did it back in the day .......well ..... the .243 it is then

:rofl2: