Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   L.A. Chapter (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   New COLT 6920 looks like crap... (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=808572)

rVOLT 08-15-2013 3:04 PM

New COLT 6920 looks like crap...

5 Attachment(s)
I waited 11 weeks for this order to come in, and I guess I should have brought a cleaning kit in with me before I left with the gun. It had quite an oily residue over the entire gun, which seemed to hide all the imperfections. When I got home, I found dents, dings, scratches, scuffs, you name it... after wiping down that oily coat. The matt black finish looks like crap as well. I can wield a spray can better than who ever finished this thing... I tried to contact colt but they're closed... Check out the photos. The grip looks like it was rotting in the sun. I smeared some of the oil on it, and it looks a little better but still, its hard to believe this is NEW...

I know it wont stay perfect forever, but I didn't think I would wipe off a shine to find that it looks this bad... =\

Exodus343 08-15-2013 3:44 PM

does it shoot?
if it does then its just cosmetic issues which personally I don't care for

but its your rifle, see what Colt has to say

NIB 08-16-2013 1:26 PM

That doesn't look new to me. Some of the swirl marks on some parts look OK. But those dings make me think that someone who doesn't know about ARs was messing with it. Especially that handgrip, it looks real used.

I know some will say that it's just cosmetic but screw that. If I buy something brand new in the box, then it better be pristine brand new in the box.

Exodus343 08-16-2013 1:35 PM

The magazine catch and bolt catch look normal
But that grip and sight is unacceptable
Especially for a nib colt

nastyhabts26 08-16-2013 2:32 PM

Looks like they pulled it out of a puddle of water and then shipped it.
I would surely send those pics to your LGS and colt.

Exodus343 08-16-2013 2:55 PM

The magazine catch and bolt catch look normal
But that grip and sight is unacceptable
Especially for a nib colt

PolishMike 08-16-2013 3:00 PM

Looks great. Shoot it.

rVOLT 08-16-2013 3:11 PM

wow... I assumed after signing the release saying all was ok, that I wouldn't be given any leeway though Tom at turners said to bring it in, they would send it back to be refinished no problem... So lets see how it goes! What a relief. My work schedule has conflicted with contacting colt for 2 days now. I know it will get its share of damage eventually, but I want it to be my damage. Not someone elses lol.

xrayoneone 08-16-2013 3:22 PM

The only blemishes I see are the dings near the rear take down pin and the chip out of the grip.

The white on the sight is grease, I would be concerned if it wasn't there. The hand guards are double heat shield, the "split" is normal. All of the other imperfections are normal. These aren't hand polished custom rifles.

Josh3239 08-16-2013 4:20 PM

I worked behind the counter and have seen lots of Colts. Everything looks typical Colt except the pistol grip and maybe the sight. If you want a pretty rifle you were wrong to choose Colt. If you want a take-to-hell-and-back-rifle the Colt is a winner.

rVOLT 08-16-2013 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh3239 (Post 12084365)
I worked behind the counter and have seen lots of Colts. Everything looks typical Colt except the pistol grip and maybe the sight. If you want a pretty rifle you were wrong to choose Colt. If you want a take-to-hell-and-back-rifle the Colt is a winner.

It doesn't have to be pretty, just don't want someone elses damage. Everyone I have seen until this one, has been perfect. I just want one like the others =)

thmpr 08-16-2013 9:24 PM

I agree with rVolt, the markings near the take down and the pistol grip is unacceptable from a new rifle. I understand about a few minor markings left by required function testing and etc. but not what you have shown.

rVOLT 08-16-2013 10:35 PM

A friend just showed me his new, and it looks even worse. It has giant peeled areas missing its finish. It makes mine look great.

rVOLT 08-16-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolishMike (Post 12083736)
Looks great. Shoot it.

After seeing another, and some online, I now agree.

jfifer 08-16-2013 10:41 PM

Just buy a case of ammo and go nuts, then try and remember the "new in box" damage. Its a nice rifle op. Good buy

rVOLT 08-17-2013 4:29 AM

I'm just going to send it to SIG and let them refinish it. LOL. JK. Despite this complaining, i'm going to keep it and just get a custom job after my upgrades. Thanks for the replies folks

heidad01 08-20-2013 10:15 AM

The dealer or mfg should replace this with a new one. Too many are getting away with sub standard quality, just because it is a gun and that it may or will get scratched later. That is a bad excuse for an expensive new item that looks used or out of shape. Would any one sell a nikon camera or scope as new with dents and scratches? such items should be sent back so the mfgs can take note of their quality problems.

wangankin 08-20-2013 10:28 AM

Looks like a mong put it together. Good thing its a shooter.

systems 09-27-2013 12:52 AM

How much did that thing cost?