Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Any CHP OFFICErs in here? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=660154)

GLOCKINGRAT 12-20-2012 5:29 PM

Any CHP OFFICErs in here?

Im cOnsidering applying for CHP this coming month and i was wondering if there are any CHP officers in here to give word of advice on applying and during the process of being considered for a cadet, i heard CHP is one of the toughest agencies to get into is this true?

Adam Henry 12-20-2012 6:40 PM

This is definitely a good time for you to apply. We are coming off of a hiring freeze and and in need of qualified applicants. You only have a small window of time to submit an application online, from 01-03-13 through 01-05-13, here is a link, http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/info.php
When/If you submit your application be careful to read the instructions, as I understand once you submit the information you will not be able to correct any mistakes.
It is difficult to get in to the CHP it took me nearly 2 years and there was a hiring freeze. But don't let that stop you from trying!
The written test is not too bad it will test your basic reading comprehension and grammatical skills, this test is pass or fail as is the physical agility test.
If you aren't in good physical shape right now, then start exercising because the 27 week academy involves a lot of running.
This is a very rewarding career and you can live in and work in virtually any city in the state.
Make sure to be truthful when answering questions and above all good luck and have fun!

hitman13 12-20-2012 8:26 PM

Be mindful of your spelling and grammar.... especially your grammar.....

BigStiCK 12-20-2012 9:09 PM

^^^What AdamH said^^^

Triple check your application, make sure EVERYTHING on it is verifiably correct, and be ready to send it the very first second the web site opens (seriously).

There will be ALOT of folks lining up for this opportunity & the easiest way to get DQ'd is to turn in an inaccurate/ incomplete app.

I'm currently back at the Academy taking a HazMat course. First time I've been back since I graduated. Brings back alota memories watching the current crop of cadets go through it all.:)

Do it dude, you wont regret it.
:patriot:

warfish91 12-29-2012 4:27 AM

HI, my name is david and im 21 years old. I also am applying for CHP this coming up month and was wandering if some of my traffic violation would disqualify me or put me at a major disadvantage. This year I received a speeding tickets, stop sign ticket and was involved in 1 car accident which was my fault. Prior to these 3 thing i only received 1 cell phone ticket when i was 17 years old. I have no criminal record at all and have not used drugs. i have been working as a armed security guard for the past 2 years and taken couple law enforcement corses such as my pc832. I could go on more about thing ive been doing to prepare myself but i will cut to the point. Is there any chance that my goods can outweigh by bads? or are traffic violations something i just have to wait for until their off my record?

Ron-Solo 12-29-2012 8:13 AM

It could be an issue, BUT make them tell you no. Apply.

Spanky8601 12-29-2012 2:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron-Solo (Post 10046667)
It could be an issue, BUT make them tell you no. Apply.

Make sure that when you get to an oral panel, if asked, that you take responsibility for your actions, explain what you have learned and how you have changed your driving behavior. Do not make excuses.

juicebox 12-29-2012 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOCKINGRAT (Post 9972151)
Im cOnsidering applying for CHP this coming month and i was wondering if there are any CHP officers in here to give word of advice on applying and during the process of being considered for a cadet, i heard CHP is one of the toughest agencies to get into is this true?

If you get hired by CHP you'll also have to change your name to adam henry hahaha...

Check out governmentjobs.com, there is a ton of law enforcement agencies hiring in CA. I believe CA fish and game is always accepting applications as well if your looking for a state job. Like adam henry said, be truthful when answering questions. Its not worth it to lie.

BigStiCK 12-29-2012 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanky8601 (Post 10049612)
Make sure that when you get to an oral panel, if asked, that you take responsibility for your actions, explain what you have learned and how you have changed your driving behavior. Do not make excuses.

^^^This^^^

It wont disqualify you, but be prepared to explain in the interview. I would advise that you drive like grandma in a Prius until you graduate from the academy tho.

Background investigators & the interview panel dont expect you to be perfect. What they want to see is that you have learned from your mistakes and wont repeat them.

Heed this: DO NOT omit anything from your background package. Lying about or omitting anything WILL get you DQ'd without exception.

The background investigators are no joke. If its there, they will find it.

Take the application process seriously. Treat it as a full time job. Do your homework, prepare. Give 100%.

Good luck:)

-Stick

Ikazamay 12-30-2012 4:33 PM

Is the process the same for people who are applying again?

ankyle62 12-30-2012 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanky8601 (Post 10049582)

That's a big thing, I got screwed on that for a mistake on my part. A write up 7 years earlier that I didnt remember until they showed me a copy of it in person.

eyeruh 01-06-2013 2:12 AM

I applied last night for CHP. Good luck to whoever else did!

Squirrel15 01-07-2013 5:37 PM

So rumor has it about 22,148 people applied in that 3 day application span. Does anyone have any idea how many people the CHP is actually looking to hire in the end of all this?

retired 01-07-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirrel15 (Post 10140594)
So rumor has it about 22,148 people applied in that 3 day application span. Does anyone have any idea how many people the CHP is actually looking to hire in the end of all this?

They are only hiring two:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075488/

jonc 01-07-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retired (Post 10144050)

:facepalm::eek::facepalm:

Squirrel15 01-08-2013 5:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retired (Post 10144050)

:jump: Hopefully the lucky two both get to start their career off as motor units also just like Ponch

desertexplore 01-08-2013 9:33 PM

Just spoke to a few CHP people in the know and I will pass this along- If you get into the academy, the BIGGEST fail factor is the EVOC course. Most Cadets are dropping because of this specific section.

What can you do now? They said come into the academy as a good driver. Be a very good driver and not a cocky clown. Consider taking an EVOC course prior to the academy if you can.

Anyways, thats what I got.

warfish91 01-10-2013 12:34 AM

thanks for all the replies. I have applied and i hope for the best. hopefully whoever else applies gets in after i do :P

Squirrel15 01-10-2013 9:50 PM

Here is a link to the testing schedules, I don't have any further info than this as it is only on CHP's website. I haven't received an email about any times or locations, maybe some have and my application wasn't selected, but hey incase you need to plan for a day off at work this may be helpful. Best of luck to all!

http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/pdf...t_Schedule.pdf

Anti-Hero 01-10-2013 11:14 PM

EVOC isn't the hard part, learning to polish all that brass is the hard part.

desertexplore 01-12-2013 2:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti-Hero (Post 10176296)
EVOC isn't the hard part, learning to polish all that brass is the hard part.

Per my CHP sources, they are losing most of the Cadets at EVOC.

retired 01-12-2013 5:05 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe he was joking.;)^^

desertexplore 01-12-2013 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retired (Post 10193002)
I could be wrong, but I believe he was joking.;)^^

Obviously, but when it comes to posting accurate and important information people need, I don't joke.

FlyByWire 01-13-2013 8:53 AM

We started with 135, and graduated 70. The whole academy is the 'hard part' not JUST EVOC.

Eric B 01-13-2013 5:17 PM

Hiring in San Jose....:smilielol5:

Squirrel15 01-13-2013 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertexplore (Post 10193248)
Obviously, but when it comes to posting accurate and important information people need, I don't joke.

They're promising punch and pie at the written test :whistling:

7duster3 01-17-2013 7:21 AM

Did anyone else get an email with a test date? I'm in Anaheim and was told my testing location was in Palm Springs on the 26th. Was this a mistake or is that really the closest location to test?

Baconator 01-17-2013 7:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7duster3 (Post 10233105)
Did anyone else get an email with a test date? I'm in Anaheim and was told my testing location was in Palm Springs on the 26th. Was this a mistake or is that really the closest location to test?

If you applied in Anaheim, there is the possibility that you are testing with Border Division. Be prepared to drive from San Diego to Indio to Anaheim and everywhere in between. Expect to get a call to arrive in some town 2 hours away from you with little notice.

Basically anywhere in the Border Division.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/depts_divs_offs/geodiv.html

retired 01-17-2013 7:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertexplore (Post 10193248)

Well then, perhaps you should pm him since he has not posted again and may not return to this thread. That way you will hopefully get accurate and important information from him.

Just-in 01-18-2013 8:59 AM

I'm apying for golden gate div. anyone done ride a longs or attending seminars?

Sonnyf4i 01-18-2013 5:17 PM

i receive an email for the cadet position in Garden Grove, does anybody have any tips they can help me with

GLOCKINGRAT 01-24-2013 8:20 AM

I applied on the first day still have no recieved any info on test date, has anybody else recieved anything? And is it really true they are hiring only 2 cadets?

eyeruh 01-24-2013 9:09 AM

Received emails about test dates and workshops.

Just-in 01-24-2013 9:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOCKINGRAT (Post 10304134)
I applied on the first day still have no recieved any info on test date, has anybody else recieved anything? And is it really true they are hiring only 2 cadets?

Have you attended a prep seminar. Info is everywhere online or contact the recruitment office. Test dates have been published, not everyone has received a date or location yet per the seminar I attended Tuesday. I'm one that has not...

beb 01-24-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOCKINGRAT (Post 10304134)
I applied on the first day still have no recieved any info on test date, has anybody else recieved anything?

Depends what area. Ive applied for Southern Division and have not received anything, I heard it is usually the last to be notified.

My friend applied for Golden Gate and they already had their test date last week.

Hopefully we are still being considered and hear something soon! :)

Squirrel15 01-25-2013 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beb (Post 10305619)
Depends what area. Ive applied for Southern Division and have not received anything, I heard it is usually the last to be notified.

My friend applied for Golden Gate and they already had their test date last week.

Hopefully we are still being considered and hear something soon! :)

Golden Gate has not yet had there test date, they are on the 2nd, Valley Division on the other hand has. The test schedule is already posted here http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/pdf...t_Schedule.pdf if you have applied you will receive further info most likely via email regarding test details.

DBoulant 01-25-2013 11:48 PM

If they are still requiring you to write a small essay on "something that changed you" or along those lines, be ready to blow some minds. Non law enforcement reads them.

Source: Took the test years ago and Proctored a few tests afterwards

GLOCKINGRAT 02-11-2013 11:33 AM

Just recieved my invitation to the written exam on the 23rd of this month at the Los Angeles convention center :)

km22 02-11-2013 11:18 PM

They don't do the essay anymore.

Southpaw45 02-11-2013 11:39 PM

Also remember that people who live or lived around you will receive a letter from the CHP asking if they knew you and about your character. Be kind to everybody and live a clean life...