Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=327)
-   -   Run & Gun bolt action (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1335794)

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 11:17 AM

Run & Gun bolt action

Looking for suggestions for a light weight, handy, and easy to wield bolt action rifle.

It's not something I am going to shoot from a bench, or throw a bipod on. I already have the optic; Vortex Viper PST 1-4x.

As of late I have been eyeing the 16" Ruger Ranch in 5.56/223, but I am open to others, but it really seems to fit the bill.

I think CZ makes something similar but I don't remember.

Any suggestions?

I would be good with anything in 223, 308, 6.5 CM, or 243.

Here are some images off Google Inages... trying to build up something like this...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94...r/photo1-6.jpg
http://forum.gon.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1440639031

Scratch705 05-18-2017 11:35 AM

if magazine capacity isn't a big issue, henry long ranger in .223/556

it is a lever gun that uses magazines so you can use pointy tip ammo.

TS77 05-18-2017 11:46 AM

mossberg makes a bolt gun too, and they may still make that pump version they had that took ar15 mags

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/ru...rg-mvp-patrol/

TS77 05-18-2017 11:51 AM

I was wrong, remington makes the pump rifle

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7615.htm

BigBamBoo 05-18-2017 2:12 PM

Here was my old Tikka coyote rig. I had the barrel chopped down to 16 1/2". Made for a very handy carry rifle.

There is now replacement bottom metal that accept AICS mags so you could carry 10+1.

http://i65.tinypic.com/23hocxc.jpg

Euphoria526 05-18-2017 2:16 PM

My vote goes to the MVP predator. That thing is insanely
Accurate and easy to point and shoot.

KahrMan 05-18-2017 2:36 PM

Bolts and the phrase "run and gun" don't work for me. Personally I would look at a pump or lever action if you are dead against a semi-auto. It's too bad that there aren't more centerfire pumps out there.

Tere_Hanges 05-18-2017 2:46 PM

Rem 700 SPS tactical 20", .308 in magpul stock with DBM, takes AICS Mags. I went with the Remmy because I wanted to use AICS mags and the magpul setup was the cheapest way to get there. Its heavy but very handy with the 5rd mag.

Or
Mossberg MVP
CZ527
Tikka T3
Ruger Scout
Savage Scout
Howa Scout

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img924/4931/j35COw.jpg

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 2:55 PM

Resize much? Its blowing up my screen, in a bad way lol.

I sold a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in 223 not too long ago, I would have cut it down if I still had it, but I want to try something new.

Scratch705 05-18-2017 2:55 PM

i do not see how a 700 SPS tactical can be a "run and gun" bolt gun at all.... i lifted one before, and with the bipod and scope installed that thing is so damn nose heavy due to the bull barrel you would be liable to drop it on the barrel.

OP is pretty much looking for a Scout Rifle.

The Ruger Gunsite Scout and the Steyr scout are the ones to get to fit the "Scout" name.

there are the other variations like others have listed that is similar, but the above two are the first things that come to mind when i think scout rifle.

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 2:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KahrMan (Post 20114563)
Bolts and the phrase "run and gun" don't work for me. Personally I would look at a pump or lever action if you are dead against a semi-auto. It's too bad that there aren't more centerfire pumps out there.

Not dead set against a semi-auto... just already have all that stuff.

Looking for something different, to run and gun with.

A pump would be kinda cool.

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBamBoo (Post 20114480)
Here was my old Tikka coyote rig. I had the barrel chopped down to 16 1/2". Made for a very handy carry rifle.

There is now replacement bottom metal that accept AICS mags so you could carry 10+1.

Nice, I love Tikka rifles. Nice smooth action on those things. I just never got around to ever buying one.

Cutting one down sounds like a pretty slick idea, I like that build a lot.

I'm good with the OEM stock too. Give me some details on the AICS bottom metal.

waveslayer 05-18-2017 3:05 PM

For a bolt and the price. TIKKA all the way

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

BigBamBoo 05-18-2017 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeX (Post 20114670)
Give me some details on the AICS bottom metal.

Here you go:

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore...rt-action-dbm/

I have my .223 Tikka set up to use AICS mags. Works well. Here is a video of my .233

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch705 (Post 20114651)

OP is pretty much looking for a Scout Rifle.

The Ruger Gunsite Scout and the Steyr scout are the ones to get to fit the "Scout" name.

I'm not explicitly looking for a scout rifle, I already have a scope I want to use and don't want to buy an extended eye relief optic... otherwise I would consider one. That said, I do have a red dot I can throw on it.

... BUT, this entire thing was kinda started by my admiration for the Steyr Scout. I've always liked the thing, think its a great rifle, I just dont feel like dropping that type of coin on one right now.

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBamBoo (Post 20115006)
Here you go:

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore...rt-action-dbm/

I have my .223 Tikka set up to use AICS mags. Works well. Here is a video of my .233

You are making me regret selling my 223 AICS magazines.

I have an AICS 2.0 that I used with a 308 and 223 Remington 700, but I decided to only keep the 308.

HK Dave 05-18-2017 4:49 PM

Marlin 336? :D

JMP 05-18-2017 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeX (Post 20113848)

CZ 527?

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

splithoof 05-18-2017 5:25 PM

So, what exactly do you mean by the term "run and gun"?....do you want something for general purpose, or something for a specific task?

cyphr02 05-18-2017 5:32 PM

Steyr Scout

1 Attachment(s)
Why look to anything else?

Attachment 607199

Also works fine with a traditional scope/mount

AGFNTB 05-18-2017 6:09 PM

You could always go straight pull bolt action AR. Use all the lightweight AR pieces you want.

I built a straight pull using a Gibbz left side charging handle. It is actually quite fun.

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splithoof (Post 20115317)
So, what exactly do you mean by the term "run and gun"?....do you want something for general purpose, or something for a specific task?

I do have a specific application in mind... but I said "run and gun" to help filter down on people recommending heavy chassis based rifles with long heavy barrels ideal for bench or prone shooting.

That said, I have been actually trying to run with my rifles as of late... trying to get the heart rate up, shooting, trying to make the shot count... all that jazz.

As for that specific task... I spend a lot of time in the desert... just looking for a general purpose rifle to take with me camping for personal protection. Something to keep in the truck as part of my kit when I off-road. Something I can sling up and hike with when I leave my truck without too much fuss.

Its not a shooting trip every time I go out there... so I dont want to load out heavy on the guns. 1 pistol, 1 rifle. Something I don't mind beating on...

Something that isn't an AR...

Looking for light weight
Something with a shorter barrel
Something that isn't too far into the heavy side of a barrel profile.
Something that would feel right with 1-4x scope on it.

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyphr02 (Post 20115352)

I know myself... I am not going to leave that in my truck. Its too nice, and more than I want to spend.

But I love the thing.

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMP (Post 20115229)

That's the one... very high on my list now...

Thanks for the link.

Has anyone used one, does it feel good, bolt cycle smooth? I'm guessing its a bit more refined than the Ruger Ranch?

jon94520 05-18-2017 6:51 PM

Get a 357 mag levergun. Plenty accurate, high ROF, easily scopeable. And if im not mistaken 357 out of a 20" barrel is comparable to 5.56.
Or a Ruger GSR, im personally gonna DROS one on Saturday.

1859sharps 05-18-2017 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeX (Post 20115088)
I'm not explicitly looking for a scout rifle, I already have a scope I want to use and don't want to buy an extended eye relief optic... otherwise I would consider one. That said, I do have a red dot I can throw on it.

... BUT, this entire thing was kinda started by my admiration for the Steyr Scout. I've always liked the thing, think its a great rifle, I just dont feel like dropping that type of coin on one right now.

scouts can use "conventional" scopes. in fact it is an over looked characteristic that a scout should have the ability to mount a scope conventionally.

technically a scout rifle should have ghost ring "iron" sights, ability to have a forward mounted long eye relief scope AND be able to mount a conventional scope.

The ruger and steyr scout rifles can do this.

nothing says you have to use a "scout" rifle as a scout rifle...what ever that means....if it otherwise meets what you want.

however.... the remington 7, howa mini and the cz 527 are all possible light, quick, short rifles for "run and gun".

as for lever or pump.... bolt can be fast as or faster with less fragility.

1859sharps 05-18-2017 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyphr02 (Post 20115352)

*pic of steyr scout*

Technically the steyr would be perfect for what the op is looking for. more I shoot mine, the less I find I am using my other rifles.

I am even giving thought to switching to a "conventional" 1-4 power scope due to declining distance vision.

the price might be a turn off, but it's got everything you could want in a general purpose rifle. though I have to say....price wise...Buds is selling them very cheap these days. mid 1300s and when you factor in a lot of the immediate things people do to a $600 rifle...it works out about the same.

the steyr is ready to go out of the box...just add scope and sling.

oh, on scopes I would stay away from anything over 33mm for the objective. a lot of the smaller 20 to 33 mm 1-4 is all you need if you don't want to go with a fixed or even a variable forward mounted. reason to stay away from the over 33mm....you lose the benefits of the ergonomics of the stock. the closer to the bore's axis you can mount the scope, the better.

red dots are also an option.

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 7:12 PM

1859sharps & cyphr02 ...

Thanks for that... good to know they can use conventional scopes, and after looking closer at pictures of the Steyr Scout its clear that there are provisions for regular optics.

I prefer a bolt over a lever or pump at this point... I am just familiar with it, and like the mechanical leverage of working the bolt when dealing with cartridges.

Im sure if I ever wanted to load up some zero headspace fire-formed cases into a bolt action I would have no problems, not sure how that would work out with a lever or pump.

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon94520 (Post 20115785)
Get a 357 mag levergun. Plenty accurate, high ROF, easily scopeable. And if im not mistaken 357 out of a 20" barrel is comparable to 5.56.
Or a Ruger GSR, im personally gonna DROS one on Saturday.

I dunno about that one...

I get to shoot two different Henry 357 lever actions on a regular basis... and I just did that couple weeks ago in the desert.

I was throwing some 357 though my chrono and there was a pretty big velocity difference... 1500 FPS vs 3000 FPS ish.

Personally I would be much happier with the performance from a 223, but I do love shooting a 357 level action as well.

Pretty sure I can expect a much greater max effective range from the 223 especially if I up the ante on the bullets I use.

Its just not what I am looking for this time around, but it is a good recommendation.

1859sharps 05-18-2017 7:23 PM

those who really know bolt actions and have skills will tell you that they can work the bolt faster than a lever or pump can can even give semi autos a run for their money...provided your not trying to compete in a mag dump and actually care about hitting the target.

I am taking their word, but so far haven't experienced anything to make me doubt them.

The bolt gun is much more durable than a lever or pump action...at least in my opinion.

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 7:29 PM

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Ruger Ranch is I already own a Ruger American in 243...

It's not the smoothest action in the world, fit and finished isn't bad, but its nothing to write home about either.

I have had magazine feed issues after dropping one in the sandy/hard pack dirt, which isn't hard to do where I go, but I am also running some zero head-spaced cases right now, so I feel I might be contributing to the issue.

I need to make another batch with FL sized brass before I can really start complaining about it.

That said, the Ranch really does meet my criteria in almost every way.

Hopefully I can find a CZ 527 and Tikka T3 because those are my two top picks if I decide to spend a little more money.

splithoof 05-18-2017 8:12 PM

The CZ-527 IN 7.62X39 I have become very fond of. I sent mine to Jim Brockman in Idaho for some upgrades after attending the Gunsite Scout Rifle Conference last summer. While not cheap, it is a very handy small rifle that can easily handle most medium-sized game, is very easy to hike with, sturdy, and above all else reliable. Accurate as well. Mine has the Leopold 2.5 SS, Talley rings, and very sturdy ghost-ring iron sights as well. Ammunition is inexpensive.

Tere_Hanges 05-18-2017 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch705 (Post 20114651)
i do not see how a 700 SPS tactical can be a "run and gun" bolt gun at all.... i lifted one before, and with the bipod and scope installed that thing is so damn nose heavy due to the bull barrel you would be liable to drop it on the barrel.

Bipod? Just because they make them doesn't mean you have to buy one and put it on your rifle. I have quite a few .308 rifles and only have a bipod on one of them, a bench gun. Also the scope can be switched out to a smaller lighter one.

The tactical barrel is heavy but it does hold groups very nicely and the 20" actually balances very well. I had a Tikka T3 lite in .3006 and the groups opened up very quickly when fired rapidly, it also kicked pretty good. It was a lightweight hunting rifle good for hiking around all day and making one shot to get the kill. Not something you want to try and shoot rapidly or all day. The heavier rifle also makes the recoil negligible, I can shoot rapidly and all day and not get sore at all. I've shot a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 and that thing kicked like an effin mule, way harder than any other .308 I've shot, more so than my M1 Garands in .3006.

In any case a .223 rifle is going to be lighter than a .308. Also sticking with iron sights is going to save you a lot of weight. Optics are heavy.

The CZ527 in 7.62x39 does seem like a very good option for an accurate .30 cal rifle that uses cheap ammo.

1859sharps 05-18-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightcav (Post 20116175)

In any case a .223 rifle is going to be lighter than a .308. Also sticking with iron sights is going to save you a lot of weight. Optics are heavy.

not necessarily. I would be willing to bet my r700 223 tac is a bit heavier than my r700 308 tac. why? more material is removed from the barrel for 308. what a rifle is chambered for doesn't predict weight, there are other factors that can come into play before what it's chambered for does.

optics also don't have to be heavy. a leupold 30mm 1-4 patrol rifle scope with rings only adds 1 pound total. leupold has other options that would give similar features and come in lighter. but yes, you can save anywhere from about half a pound and on up by not going with a scope.

ExtremeX 05-18-2017 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1859sharps (Post 20116625)
not necessarily. I would be willing to bet my r700 223 tac is a bit heavier than my r700 308 tac. why? more material is removed from the barrel for 308. what a rifle is chambered for doesn't predict weight, there are other factors that can come into play before what it's chambered for does.

Pretty sure you would win that bet...

I had a R700 SPS Tactical 20" in both 223 and 308. The external dimension and barrel profile of both were pretty much identical.

Pretty sure if I were to weight them, the 308 would be lighter.

I considered keeping the SPS Tactical 223, but even after throwing it back into the Hogue tupperware, it was still more rifle than I would want to trek around with.

1859sharps 05-18-2017 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeX (Post 20116639)
I considered keeping the SPS Tactical 223, but even after throwing it back into the Hogue tupperware, it was still more rifle than I would want to trek around with.

don't blame you....while they make fun range toys, I wouldn't want to pack one around in the field.

Lurch762 05-19-2017 5:15 AM

I have a Ruger Ranch and am very satisfied with it.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...psecot5hhb.jpg
100 yards using regular 55gr PMC.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...psebvi0wu4.jpg

RNE228 05-19-2017 8:22 AM

My first answer would be a Rem Mdl-7 in 223 or 243, and a set of aperture/peep sights.

Light, easy to handle, accurate and in 243, good for most any California game if needed.

Tere_Hanges 05-19-2017 9:04 AM

Saw a guy at an informal CMP service rifle competition with a sweet set up.

A rem700 .223 with stripper clip guide cut receiver, light barrel profile, and some kind of aperture sights.

d33pt 05-19-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeX (Post 20113848)
Looking for suggestions for a light weight, handy, and easy to wield bolt action rifle.

It's not something I am going to shoot from a bench, or throw a bipod on. I already have the optic; Vortex Viper PST 1-4x.

As of late I have been eyeing the 16" Ruger Ranch in 5.56/223, but I am open to others, but it really seems to fit the bill.

Any suggestions?

I would be good with anything in 223, 308, 6.5 CM, or 243.

Here are some images off Google Inages... trying to build up something like this...

Why would you spend money to buy a light rifle then throw that brick of a scope on it? That thing weighs a full pound. I know it's because you already have it, but it's not the right scope for that rifle. Something like a Weaver V3 would be much better. It's not going to be a bench shooter, so keep the reticle simple and the scope light.