Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Survival and Preparations (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=297)
-   -   Motorcycle? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1384972)

Bionerd 10-06-2017 12:50 AM

Motorcycle?

I was stuck in traffic the other day on my way to get my 6yr old son... I thought, what if I was trying to get to him after an earthquake or something?

Then I thought about a motorbike, something cheap and able to get me to him.

What would you get?

FeuerFrei 10-06-2017 6:55 AM

Here's a link to an old discussion regarding the motorcycle as a BOV.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...t-1008202.html

nedro 10-06-2017 7:38 AM

As someone who has had his M1 since I was 15 1/2 years old, it takes a long time to be skilled enough to navigate traffic safely. I couldn't imagine trying to ride one when poop hits the fan. You will be killed.
BTW, I also used to race in AFM with a liter bike. I'm no novis.

baih777 10-06-2017 8:51 AM

It depends how you have to go. Bicycle with a trailer is much safer for his age.
25 miles or.further a m/c might be good depending on your riding experience.
600cc or smaller is easier to navigate through traffic. But in a diaster. He knows.

daveinwoodland 10-06-2017 8:55 AM

I'm not sure in a SHTF scenario I would much want to be trying to go through what would occur on two wheels. Too easy to be knocked off, hit, etc. Would definitely have the advantage of movement but someone else is sure to see that and want it too.

Erion929 10-06-2017 11:21 AM

I ride motorcycles, still have two at the moment....a sportbike and a BMW sport touring bike.

I'm 61 yrs. old and will ALWAYS have a motorcycle as long as I can ride. It would be my "go to" vehicle if truly a SHTF scenario comes and freeways are jam packed or closed.

I envision almost no scenario where I would be stuck on a motorcycle permanently and can't get to help, safety, or a store....you can navigate most stuff.

superdave50 10-06-2017 11:53 AM

Couldn't split lanes if people are stuck bad/long enough to start opening their doors

WarBoyNux 10-06-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdave50 (Post 20740564)
Couldn't split lanes if people are stuck bad/long enough to start opening their doors

Dual sport/enduro.

https://i.imgur.com/kcQvBUKl.jpg

racinjason233 10-06-2017 12:50 PM

I also have had my M1 since I was 15. I raced super bikes and motocross and have attained "expert" level. Not to thread jack but I still have a SV650 race only bike I will sell.

the answer to your question is a XR400 or XR250. They are both light and nimble with the ability to go off road. They also use very little fuel and have almost zero maintenance.

71MUSTY 10-06-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erion929 (Post 20740421)
I ride motorcycles, still have two at the moment....a sportbike and a BMW sport touring bike.

I'm 61 yrs. old and will ALWAYS have a motorcycle as long as I can ride. It would be my "go to" vehicle if truly a SHTF scenario comes and freeways are jam packed or closed.

I envision almost no scenario where I would be stuck on a motorcycle permanently and can't get to help, safety, or a store....you can navigate most stuff.

Mine too, so make sure you ride by my house so I can commandeer it.

calif 15-22 10-06-2017 2:01 PM

Having ridden Offroad bikes since I was 12 (55 now), I'm not sure it would be the best vehicle for bug out unless you were using it to get to another location where you had your gear, guns, food and water.

Hauling guns and ammo on even a dual sport would be a challenge not mention it leaves you a bit exposed to people who might want to have what you have.

Cokebottle 10-06-2017 2:08 PM

When SHTF, any paved roads are going to be impassible. EMS and the freeway service patrol won't be there to clean up the mess when two morons bounce off of each other.

Look at what happened when it snowed in Atlanta.

Look at ANY outbound freeway OR surface street on the Thursday and Friday of a holiday weekend... My 45 minute morning commute takes over 2 hours IF I can get out early.
Now add another 10 million people to that.

Nobody is going to be going anywhere on anything other than a dual sport or on foot.

Erion929 10-06-2017 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 20741101)
When SHTF, any paved roads are going to be impassible. EMS and the freeway service patrol won't be there to clean up the mess when two morons bounce off of each other.

Look at what happened when it snowed in Atlanta.

Look at ANY outbound freeway OR surface street on the Thursday and Friday of a holiday weekend... My 45 minute morning commute takes over 2 hours IF I can get out early.

Now add another 10 million people to that.

Nobody is going to be going anywhere on anything other than a dual sport or on foot.

Atlanta, and your commute, has people wanting to go in a specific direction to a specific area. SoCal has a bazillion roads in 28 different directions that can get you out of trouble to help, safety, or a store. You can ride on the sidewalk or Up-the-Down-staircase. I don't think SPEED would be the issue....once the first 30 minutes is gone.

I guess some of you guys' idea of SHTF is worse than others....maybe some think we'll have to go to Waterworld and find Dryland :confused:. Are you guys thinking nuclear Apocalypse? For me, I'm just speaking for using a motorcycle to get to an unaffected supermarket or hospital in another city, after a big earthquake, or such. I'm not leaving my house, otherwise.

Anyway, tons of scenarios possible. It's ALWAYS nice to have a motorcycle around :oji:

baih777 10-06-2017 3:20 PM

OP , just wants to get to his son. Its going to depend on how far the kids school is from him. Thats why i mentioned bicycle would be faster depending on how far. Traffic? Everybodys going to be sitting in their cars. Sidewalks will be clear.

Cokebottle 10-06-2017 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erion929 (Post 20741450)
Atlanta, and your commute, has people wanting to go in a specific direction to a specific area. SoCal has a bazillion roads in 28 different directions that can get you out of trouble to help, safety, or a store. You can ride on the sidewalk or Up-the-Down-staircase. I don't think SPEED would be the issue....once the first 30 minutes is gone.

If SHTF and people need to evacuate... earthquake or civil unrest.
You get out of LA through Cajon Pass, 14, I-5, 101, I-10, or I-15 down to 74 and I-8, and a handful of mountain roads.
You aren't going to be getting through Santa Ana Canyon or Ortega Hwy to get to the 15.

Any two-lane roads like Carbon Canyon, Angeles Crest, Angeles Forest, etc... one accident is going to shut them down. Now you're back to the freeways, major arterials, or trails.

Once the first 30 minutes is gone, any stores that were not destroyed are going to be looted or sold out. Look at Florida, and they KNOW there will be hurricanes every summer.

The only realistic option is to be fully prepared to be self-subsistent, bug in, and pray that your property survives whatever S has HTF.

Any movement not on foot is going to be most practical on a dual sport... not a traditional street bike and certainly not a cruiser.

nedro 10-06-2017 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erion929 (Post 20740421)

You wouldn't be stuck. You'd be dead. Cars and trucks and motor homes and Semis will ALL use your supposed lane. Your sportbike and Touring bike are a joke. So is the Duel sport until you run out of road. Then the duel sport could help. All these city folk really have not thought it out one single bit.:facepalm:
BTW, those hill folk will love that new dual sport after they shoot you dead for crossing their path.

The "No Clue" People are so cute, aren't they?

WarBoyNux 10-06-2017 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erion929 (Post 20741450)

I guess some of you guys' idea of SHTF is worse than others....maybe some think we'll have to go to Waterworld and find Dryland :confused:. Are you guys thinking nuclear Apocalypse? For me, I'm just speaking for using a motorcycle to get to an unaffected supermarket or hospital in another city, after a big earthquake, or such. I'm not leaving my house, otherwise.

Anyway, tons of scenarios possible. It's ALWAYS nice to have a motorcycle around :oji:

Actually, for its size, there is not many egress roads out of SoCal. A few major roads/fwys knocked out and you all down there are SOL.

https://i.imgur.com/SQ35ETNh.jpg

Erion929 10-06-2017 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nedro (Post 20741566)
You wouldn't be stuck. You'd be dead. Cars and trucks and motor homes and Semis will ALL use your supposed lane. Your sportbike and Touring bike are a joke. So is the Duel sport until you run out of road. Then the duel sport could help. All these city folk really have not thought it out one single bit.:facepalm:
BTW, those hill folk will love that new dual sport after they shoot you dead for crossing their path.

Speaking of cute, love you country panickers and preppers, LOL....watch too many MadMax movies? Oh my gawd....riding a motorcycle through busy streets and freeways!! . Ooooh, riding NEAR a CAR or TRUCK....or heaven forbid, a SEMI :facepalm: Cars careening left and right, outta control! Watch out for their spiked wheels and baseball bats! They might pull a gun on you!:eek:

Uhhh, not that hard to navigate through stopped traffic. There won't be 100 police blocking your way, either.

No one says you have to ride at 86 mph....20-40 mph works when you need to. You can also ride through a traffic accident, if you needed to, sheesh....I've had to do it.

You guys really think all of SoCal is going to be "GONE"?

Oh damn....forgot my 3 years of dried foods....where'd I bury that shiet? :facepalm:

-

T6pilot 10-06-2017 6:21 PM

KLR650, cockroach of bikes cannot kill it, it'll take you anywhere you need to go

Cokebottle 10-06-2017 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarBoyNux (Post 20741841)
Actually, for its size, there is not many egress roads out of SoCal. A few major roads/fwys knocked out and you all down there are SOL.

Of which a rupture on the San Andreas as long as the Ft. Tejon quake but beginning at Salton Sea would sever all but the 1/101, and even if you CAN get out of the area, the 8 would also be severed, so north would be the only way out... and even then, you'd be well north of Santa Barbara before you'd reach any *usable* route east, and you'd be forced to continue north to the bay area if the goal is to leave the state, since you would not likely be able to work your way back south and across 58 to Barstow.

Richochet 10-06-2017 7:58 PM

The day after the Lomo Prieta earthquake in 1989 there was no electric power in SF. Just darkness. No power for elevators, gas pumps, cooking. Nada.

The power was off for several days. Fortunately my 8 year old son and I were able to ride my motorcycle down Lombard and across the Golden gate Bridge to Tiburon. There were no cars on the highways. None.

Tiburon had power so we stopped at a cafe and ate cheeseburgers. Dang that tasted good!

So ever since, I keep at least one motorcycle ready, gassed up just in case I have to make a fast getaway.

Nacho_Eater 10-06-2017 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 20741536)
If SHTF and people need to evacuate... earthquake or civil unrest.
You get out of LA through Cajon Pass, 14, I-5, 101, I-10, or I-15 down to 74 and I-8, and a handful of mountain roads.
You aren't going to be getting through Santa Ana Canyon or Ortega Hwy to get to the 15.

Any two-lane roads like Carbon Canyon, Angeles Crest, Angeles Forest, etc... one accident is going to shut them down. Now you're back to the freeways, major arterials, or trails.

Once the first 30 minutes is gone, any stores that were not destroyed are going to be looted or sold out. Look at Florida, and they KNOW there will be hurricanes every summer.

The only realistic option is to be fully prepared to be self-subsistent, bug in, and pray that your property survives whatever S has HTF.

Any movement not on foot is going to be most practical on a dual sport... not a traditional street bike and certainly not a cruiser.

+1 on the above. I regularly travel on CA-14. It's rarely ever as bad as the the 5, 405, 210, or 110, yet one accident will either shutdown traffic in that direction or create a huge bottleneck. And that's on a normal day without any kind of disaster.

Nacho_Eater 10-06-2017 8:12 PM

I've owned 5 motorcycles in my life. They are fun.

However, I know too many people who have life-long orthopedic issues (e.g., shattered legs held together with pins, plates, and screws) due to accidents. Crash on that bike and get severely injured during a time of disaster? Good luck getting proper medical care in time.

Erion929 10-06-2017 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richochet (Post 20742645)
The day after the Lomo Prieta earthquake in 1989 there was no electric power in SF. Just darkness. No power for elevators, gas pumps, cooking. Nada.

The power was off for several days. Fortunately my 8 year old son and I were able to ride my motorcycle down Lombard and across the Golden gate Bridge to Tiburon. There were no cars on the highways. None.

Tiburon had power so we stopped at a cafe and ate cheeseburgers. Dang that tasted good!

So ever since, I keep at least one motorcycle ready, gassed up just in case I have to make a fast getaway.

That's what I'm talking about :thumbsup:...just get over to the next county or two to get what you need or out of trouble.

I don't think the OP was talking about the End of the World....he was talking Cali earthquake. We've had some good shakers, the whole state doesn't just shut down. Plenty of freeway or surface street to get what you need and even get back home, especially with a motorcycle. An accident doesn't shut down a freeway...to a motorcycle.

For some reason, the subject always turns to MadMax Apocalypse.....

-

Madpyro 10-06-2017 8:40 PM

My trusty Honda CT 110 will work just fine.

sonofeugene 10-06-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T6pilot (Post 20742245)
KLR650, cockroach of bikes cannot kill it, it'll take you anywhere you need to go

Definitely the cock roach of motorcycles. But for the job in question, the best choice by far.

Bionerd 10-07-2017 2:38 PM

Alright, sounds good. I will take you guys advice when looking for something to get to my son.
Thanks

WarBoyNux 10-07-2017 2:48 PM

By the time your son is ready, go Motard.

sealocan 10-07-2017 3:06 PM

Depending on where you're at and where your son is at and IF you're close to a water source like a lake, river or the ocean maybe a kayak or something similar might be a way to get out of the traffic into your son without the risk of getting run over by panicking motorists.

just an out-of-the-box thought.

navydad2010 10-08-2017 12:02 PM

Got my Suzuki DR-650 or DRZ-400.. Bring on the traffic jams...lol
:chris:

choprzrul 10-08-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navydad2010 (Post 20748918)
Got my Suzuki DR-650 or DRZ-400.. Bring on the traffic jams...lol
:chris:

Best choice yet. Lighter than the Kawasaki and no radiator to worry about puncturing.

nedro 10-09-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erion929 (Post 20741926)
Speaking of cute, love you country panickers and preppers, LOL....watch too many MadMax movies? Oh my gawd....riding a motorcycle through busy streets and freeways!! . Ooooh, riding NEAR a CAR or TRUCK....or heaven forbid, a SEMI :facepalm: Cars careening left and right, outta control! Watch out for their spiked wheels and baseball bats! They might pull a gun on you!:eek:

Uhhh, not that hard to navigate through stopped traffic. There won't be 100 police blocking your way, either.

No one says you have to ride at 86 mph....20-40 mph works when you need to. You can also ride through a traffic accident, if you needed to, sheesh....I've had to do it.

You guys really think all of SoCal is going to be "GONE"?

Oh damn....forgot my 3 years of dried foods....where'd I bury that shiet? :facepalm:
-

So far, you have not described any SHTF scenarios. If going to the next local supermarket is your idea of SHTF, you'll be fine. Nothing to worry about.:sleeping:
Like I said earlier. I've had my M1 for 40 years straight. I've never been without a motorcycle. I raced AFM Liter bikes. My dirt bike is an 87 CR500r. My touring bike is a 1800 cc Gold Wing. I'm not sure where you are getting the wrong impression from. But it isn't from me.

luckylogger6 10-09-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racinjason233 (Post 20740780)
the answer to your question is a XR400 or XR250. They are both light and nimble with the ability to go off road. They also use very little fuel and have almost zero maintenance.

As an xr400 owner they are only limited by the rider.

For anyone thinking and off road bike will not be able to get around needs to spend some time on youtube. search things like Eerzberg, enduro, edurocross...but like most of the stuff discussed on here the operator is the limiting factor.

nedro 10-09-2017 1:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarBoyNux (Post 20740752)

Sweet picture!
You see that big tree up on the skyline? The one next to the other one that the nice white cloud is behind? Ya, that one.
That's where the bullet will come from.
They might even try not to damage your camel back if they get lucky.
But that is your last sip. Should've stopped under more cover.:facepalm:

ojisan 10-09-2017 1:09 PM

We always kept a few dual sport bikes and some gas in cans where I worked at American Suzuki in case the Big One hits.
That way we would have capable bikes to ride home through the rubble.
Work was 50 miles from my home, with over 100 bridges, overpasses or tunnels on the freeways that I used.
I figured it would take about two days to get home.

nedro 10-09-2017 1:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckylogger6 (Post 20753203)
As an xr400 owner they are only limited by the rider.

For anyone thinking and off road bike will not be able to get around needs to spend some time on youtube. search things like Eerzberg, enduro, edurocross...but like most of the stuff discussed on here the operator is the limiting factor.

I don't doubt any of that and also agree. My point is the in a SHTF Scenario, you want to mitigate injury as much as possible.
OP was asking about getting a motorcycle for such instances.
How long do you figure it would take a novice to acquire the skills it took most of us a lifetime to achieve? I'm not talking about the ability to ride up an unstable steep mountain. I'm talking about changing directions on a dime with not second thought. Or looking into the face of impending doom without freaking out and hitting the brakes. But instead, making corrections to sidestep the danger. Without some very aggressive experience, most people will be done.
Even in this day and age, how many times do you still hear retarded Harley riders telling you that they had to, "Lay it down" to avoid an accident. Pure stupidity!:oji:

Oceanbob 10-09-2017 2:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T6pilot (Post 20742245)

Yes. ^^^^

And lots of good used ones available on Craigslist.

I'am down to one Bike now. A 1985 Honda V65 with 17,600 miles. Bought her
New. I ride so infrequently the carburetor's idle jets get gummed up. She sits in
The garage awaiting new turn signal rubber thing-a-ma-jobs and new hose.
Mostly from Amazon. Years take a toll on Rubber.....:(

But even though her sister ships do the white line they are heavy and not
Nimble. The KLR 650 has always been a good get out of Dodge Bike IMO.

Got in a minor Tip over accident in Thailand and the wife won't be riding with me.

Be well
Bob

:cool2:

Scratch705 10-09-2017 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nedro (Post 20741566)

and its always funny that the "hill" people's first choice is shoot every living thing on 2 legs in a disaster situation.

guess i won't need to feel bad to shoot every "hill" people i see too since they would shoot me first.

WarBoyNux 10-09-2017 2:19 PM

All right. We all need to stop posting from now on since we are all wrong and Nedro is right.

Mods please rename this subforum Nedro's Survival Forum.

WarBoyNux 10-09-2017 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nedro (Post 20753217)
Sweet picture!
You see that big tree up on the skyline? The one next to the other one that the nice white cloud is behind? Ya, that one.
That's where the bullet will come from.
They might even try not to damage your camel back if they get lucky.
But that is your last sip. Should've stopped under more cover.:facepalm:

Layoff the coffee. No one but you enjoys seeing your posts.