Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Ammo and Reloading (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Unique case lube (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=899129)

rcschummers 02-25-2014 6:02 PM

Unique case lube

Do I need to tumble after use or will a light wiping suffice?

mjsweims 02-26-2014 2:03 PM

My procedure:
1. Inspect
2. Coat with case lube.
3. Decap and size.
4. Tumble with walnut shells.
5. Clean out walnut and clear primer pockets and holes.
6. Get on with reloading.

FWIW I use Unique and find it works really well.

the86d 02-26-2014 2:38 PM

I have never tumbled to get lube off of 5.56, or 9mm. I don't put that much on to begin with.

DCL leaves a small amount on the cases, and it helps dirt and burnt powder residue stick to your hands. 99% Isopropyl and/or water and a blue OR rag help to clean-up after shooting.

50 Shooter 02-26-2014 2:40 PM

You can wipe it off, your brass just won't be as shiny as if you put it back in the tumbler. Personal choice really, if you have a couple hundred pieces it might be better to just tumble it.

rcschummers 02-26-2014 2:57 PM

I was wondering if the lube would have negative interaction with either the powder or primers.

1HitaQuita 02-26-2014 3:04 PM

Wiping the case off will do, but I usually tumble for about 30min. After a while the rag becomes oily & you're really not doing too much wiping off anymore.

50 Shooter 02-26-2014 8:06 PM

The case lube will not affect the powder or primers, its like spray lube just better.

stilly 02-26-2014 9:15 PM

I wonder what kind of bath you can give the shells to get that stuff off when you do not have a vibratory cleaner...

CGT80 02-26-2014 9:50 PM

Unique is great stuff, but I only use it once in a while. For a few pieces of brass it is fast and easy. I wipe it off with a rag. I normally prep or load in bulk though.

I use one shot for straight wall rifle and pistol cases. It doesn't have to be cleaned off. I did wet tumble some 30 carbine brass with lemishine and dish soap, but no stainless pins. It took the residue right off. I had sprayed it pretty heavy with lube. Normally I just load it up.

For bottle neck rifle brass, I use dillon lube which is lanolin and alcohol (don't use the cheap beer for this............opps, wrong alcohol). I tumble the brass in corn cob for 20+ minutes after sizing with this lube as it is quite sticky. It will cause bridging when using stick powder in 223 brass, if you don't tumble. My brother accidentally lubed the already prepped brass, before he ran it through the press for the finishing steps. He thought the universal decapping die (to get the corn cob out of the flash holes) was a sizing die.

stilly 02-26-2014 10:02 PM

Sweet! When I am done with all the sizing then I will dump them all in a soap bath and get all that brass and lube off...

Mopar85 02-27-2014 8:10 AM

Don't wet tumble brass with unique on it. It will not clean off with just the pins and dish soap so it leaves greyish black streaks all over the brass. Clean the brass with purple power (No Ammonia) first then tumble it, or if you wish after but the unique gets on all of the pins and inside the drum and will coat future brass.