Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Los Angeles (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352761)

obeygiant 10-14-2010 10:17 PM

Los Angeles

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department CCW Policy and Application: http://lasd.org/ccw_info.html

You have to be a resident of a city to apply with a city's Police Department.

Residents of the City of Los Angeles should read this thread on applying with LAPD: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1423638

Glendale, Glendora, and Torrance issue CCWs through their Police Departments, but they rarely/restrictively issue them. The first two are probably light red, the last light red, maybe yellow.

Anyone who gets denied in Los Angeles Co (either by a city's PD or by the Sheriff's Office), and wants to fight it should read the following quote from my ("Paladin") post in the Monterey Co thread. (There they accept SD as GC, but push the GMC requirement.) The 14th Amendment Equal Protection applies to ALL aspects of the application process, not just GC and GMC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 16276894)
they say SD = GC, but then push GMC through the roof and, it appears, make your RKBA subject to your neighbors', co-workers' and friends' ratification.... :facepalm: :mad:

If Bernal does NOT follow this same procedure with ALL CCW applicants (think political donors, "friends of the sheriff"/"posse" members, politicians, celebrities), he's open for a Guillory-type 14th A Equal Protection federal lawsuit, but for GMC rather than GC.

Hypothetically, let's say there's a world-famous film star (and director) who lives in (and was once the mayor of) Carmel-By-The-Sea, a city which, acc to CGF's 2013 survey, does not issue CCWs. We'll call him "Mr. E." Let's suppose Mr. E has a Monterey SO CCW. When it is/was time to renew, if the sheriff has the same policy for renewals that means his "background investigator" would have to go to Mr. E's neighbors (who, unlike his friends, may be hard-core antis), and "ask them if they would recommend [Mr. E] be issued a CCW permit." Not only would the same procedure have to be followed, but the same standard as to judging whether to issue or not be followed. IOW, let's say 1 of your neighbors says "Nyet!" when asked if you should get a CCW and because of that you are denied. If 1 of Mr. E's neighbors also said "No!" and yet was issued, that too is a 14th A Equal Protection violation.

(revised 2018 Dec 01)

// Updated 12-1-2018; thanks to Paladin
// Librarian

UPDATED 2021 - see post 6396

LA COUNTY CCW FAQ

Do you still need a denial letter from LAPD?

As of April 2021, you do NOT need a denial letter from LAPD. Apply directly to LASD if you live in LA County.

Should I fill out every section of the application, even though it states not to?

YES. If you look closely on the LASD CCW website, it states the complete sections 1-8 and sign your name wherever stated. You are sending the application to LASD and not the DOJ, so signing all sections, including section 7, is required to process your application.

Where should I submit my application? Should I drop it off to my local LASD?

No. Mail or drop off to the address stated on the LASD CCW website. If you drop it off to your local department, you are at the mercy of their administrative assistant’s schedule of delivery. This adds unnecessary time to your application.

LASD did not cash my money order/check. What is going on?

The date of cashing your money order or check is not important. There have been reports of cashing it within days or not cashing it until after the interview. If you do not mail your application by certified mail, you can view whether they cashed your money order or check as a confirmation of receipt.

How do you know they cashed your money order?

If you mailed with a USPS money order, there is a tracking number. Check your status at https://tools.usps.com/money-orders.htm

How long does it take to receive an interview?

This answer will be ever changing due to the influx of applications as time goes, but it appears to range anywhere from 2-6 months.

There was nowhere to submit my e-mail address in the application. Did I miss something?

When you get a call for your interview, your deputy will ask you for your e-mail address for further instructions.

Can you use your car registration as your proof of residency?

Yes.

What is the interview like?

The interview is brief and they go over your application with you to confirm your answers and good cause. They will ask general questions from a two page sheet like, “have you ever been in a fight, do you smoke marijuana, etc.” Remember to be truthful and disclose ALL information including expunged records. This may cause a delay or denial to your application processing time if everything is not revealed upfront.

This is the time to provide evidence for your good cause. It is recommended to bring originals and make copies of all your evidence, along with your basic information (passport, proof of residence, w2’s, driver’s license).

Should I do my livescan early?

This is a personal choice. It is not believed to harm your eligibility and at this time it may or may not process your application faster. The gap of time between application submission and receiving a phone call to schedule an interview is months. If you know you have a squeaky clean record and are willing to gamble the $120-$135 livescan fee in case of denial, that is your choice. Due to extended wait times, your livescan may expire before your application is processed so proceed with caution.

Should I do my training early?

This is a personal choice. It is not believed to harm your eligibility and at this time it may or may not process your application faster. It is currently believed the best process is to do your training early and WAIT until they send you the e-mail or phone call to proceed with training to submit the training. This way, you receive confirmation your application is moving forward. Again, only do training early if you are willing to gamble the fees in case of denial. Due to extended wait times, your training may expire before your application is processed so proceed with caution.

How do I submit my training?

Take photos of the two completed sheets and e-mail them as an attachment to the CCW unit’s e-mail CCW_Unit@lasd.org

I have not heard back in X weeks/months. Should I contact them for the status of my application?

No. There are currently thousands of applications with a larger influx coming in every week. They will send a generic response and all it does is slow down the unit’s capacity overall.

How do you know when your livescan has been completed?

Check the status of your livescan at https://applicantstatus.doj.ca.gov/ This does not necessarily reflect when the CCW unit receives the results of your livescan.

How long does it take to get issued?

This is an ever changing issue but is likely to take five months to a year.

Librarian 12-01-2018 5:25 PM

Note updated first post in the thread, thanks to Paladin.

Paladin 12-03-2018 6:36 AM

Anyone know what local time Villeneuva will be sworn in today?

CCWFacts 12-03-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 22399683)
Anyone know what local time Villeneuva will be sworn in today?

Around noon. Welcome Sheriff Villanueva.

Paladin 12-03-2018 1:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCWFacts (Post 22400873)
Around noon. Welcome Sheriff Villanueva.

:party:

QUESTION: Anyone know why McDonnell retired and/or Villanueva took over now versus in January?

I've asked baggss to post a revised CA CCW GC map showing LA "light red" ASAP.

Since the LASD website still shows McDonnell, it's CCW info also hasn't been updated. Once it shows Villanueva as sheriff, we'll look to see if the CCW info has also be revised, and if so, check it to ensure it too supports "light red" and to see if it indicates yellow or better.

Whoever notices first that LASD website no longer shows McDonnell, but rather shows Villanueva as sheriff, please post that in this thread ASAP. Thx! :cheers2:

http://sheriff.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/lasd
http://lasd.org/ccw_info.html
http://lasd.org/bio.html
http://lasd.org/pdfjs/ConcealedWeapo...icyAug2018.pdf (dated 08/01/18)
http://lasd.org/pdfjs/CCW_MPP_PDF.PDF
Quote:

convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life or of great bodily harm to the applicant, his spouse or dependent child, which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed firearm.

Yodaman 12-03-2018 1:33 PM

No one should forget. It’s LA County. Things aren’t going to change overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paladin 12-03-2018 1:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaman (Post 22401137)

But apps submitted now will be decided (whenever that will be), by Villanueva under his GC standard vs. being red-stamped "DOA" by McDonnell...

At least now, people with really solid GC can apply knowing that they'll have a solid chance of getting a CCW vs our default reply of telling them "you're wasting your time, money and effort."

Plus, WE need people w/really solid GC to apply ASAP so that we can find out if AV has really changed LASD's CCW GC policy.

For newbies: If you're an average, law-abiding gun owner with no ongoing threats to your life that you've reported to the police or don't have a job/occupation that puts you at heightened risk of being attacked, you still have NO CHANCE of getting a CCW from LASD (going by AV's campaign statements). You still have to wait for a federal court win on a Carry case, probably sometime before 2022 July... :mad:

Yodaman 12-03-2018 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 22401144)
But apps submitted now will be decided (whenever that will be), by Villanueva under his GC standard vs. being redstamped "DOA" by McDonnell...

Agreed.

He only said he may issue more then JMD. He never said how many and what he would do with GC.

I’m betting just a campaign promise that’s won’t pan out. Although I hope not.

And he never said who would get the “more” CCWs he issues. Sworn, donors, everyday people?

CCWFacts 12-03-2018 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaman (Post 22401137)

Some things have changed, literally, overnight.
Villanueva, 55, spoke from the podium after taking the oath of office, promising to "empower communities of color"

In 2005, he sued the department, claiming he and other Latinos were denied promotions because of racial discrimination

Villanueva never served in a high-profile position

His dissertation examined how the 10 largest law enforcement organizations in the country promote their personnel and how those policies affect diversity at senior levels

In a highly unusual move, the sheriff-elect directed last week that Lt. LaJuana Haselrig, whom Villanueva worked with at the training academy long ago, leapfrog over four ranks to become one of four assistant sheriffs. Haselrig, who is African-American, will oversee some of the most sensitive countywide functions of the department — including homeland security, SWAT and detectives.

Captain Tim Murakami, a Japanese-American who currently commands the Industry sheriff's station, was promoted three ranks to be assistant sheriff in charge of street patrols in unincorporated L.A. County and 44 contract cities

The L.A. County Democratic Party, police watchdogs and immigrant rights groups endorsed him largely on promises he would kick ICE out of the jails
Welcome to third world Los Angeles where people get massive promotions to critical roles because of their skin color. Makes sense to me.

Yodaman 12-03-2018 2:02 PM

Los Angeles

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCWFacts (Post 22401179)

Villanueva, 55, spoke from the podium after taking the oath of office, promising to "empower communities of color"

In 2005, he sued the department, claiming he and other Latinos were denied promotions because of racial discrimination

His dissertation examined how the 10 largest law enforcement organizations in the country promote their personnel and how those policies affect diversity at senior levels

In a highly unusual move, the sheriff-elect directed last week that Lt. LaJuana Haselrig, whom Villanueva worked with at the training academy long ago, leapfrog over four ranks to become one of four assistant sheriffs. Haselrig, who is African-American, will oversee some of the most sensitive countywide functions of the department — including homeland security, SWAT and detectives.

Captain Tim Murakami, a Japanese-American who currently commands the Industry sheriff's station, was promoted three ranks to be assistant sheriff in charge of street patrols in unincorporated L.A. County and 44 contract cities

The L.A. County Democratic Party, police watchdogs and immigrant rights groups endorsed him largely on promises he would kick ICE out of the jails

Welcome to third world Los Angeles where people get massive promotions to critical roles because of their skin color. Makes sense to me.

Yes. I meant in regards to CCW. He know as anyone else who is familiar with LAC politics, that’s once he tries to allow “more” CCWs (if it’s actually to the everyday population) that he will lose support from the LA Board of Supervisors, and liberal donors.

He may not be political now, but next year by this time he will. It’s LAC.

People quickly learn, do it the Democratic way or lose support.

There is a reason why CCWs haven’t been so obtainable in LAC in many years.

Yodaman 12-03-2018 2:07 PM

Los Angeles

Paladin 12-03-2018 2:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaman (Post 22401256)
Yes. I meant in regards to CCW. He know as anyone else who is familiar with LAC politics, that’s once he tries to allow “more” CCWs (is it’s actually to the everyday population) that he will loose support from the LA Board of Supervisors, and liberal donors.

He may not be political now, but next year by this time he will. It’s LAC.

People quickly learn, do it the Democratic way or lose support.

You sound just like all the San Diego posters who didn't/couldn't believe Sheriff Gore actually changed his CCW GC policy and liberalized issuance....

I'm NOT saying you're wrong, like they were. I'm just saying you could be. :oji:

FWIW I just thought of a way of thinking re. the colors on the map and CA gun owners.
Dark red means "virtually none" of us can get one.
Light red means "few" of us can get one.
Yellow means "some" of us can get one.
Light green means "most" of us can get one.
Dark green means "virtually all" of us can get one.

Yodaman 12-03-2018 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 22401291)
You sound just like all the San Diego posters who didn't/couldn't believe Sheriff Gore actually changed his CCW GC policy and liberalized issuance....

I'm NOT saying you're wrong, like they were. I'm just saying you could be. :oji:

FWIW I just thought of a way of thinking re. the colors on the map and CA gun owners.

Dark red means "virtually none" of us can get one.

Light red means "some" of us can get one.

Yellow means that "many" of us can get one.

Light green means that "most" of us can get one.

Dark green means that "virtually all" of us can get one.

I hope it does happen. SD is typically less liberal than LAC when it comes to voting districts, donors and even at times politics

LAC is tough ground politically. The money is there. Donor driven. That’s why big donors are known to get CCWs in LAC.

I hope it does change for more issuance tho!

Paladin 12-03-2018 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaman (Post 22401333)
I hope it does happen. SD is typically less liberal than LAC when it comes to voting districts, donors and even at times politics

LAC is tough ground politically. The money is there. Donor driven. That’s why big donors are known to get CCWs in LAC.

Key question: Did wealthy liberal donors back McDonnell or AV? My GUESS is they backed the incumbent and AV's "base" was his fellow Latinos. They're the ones he's beholden to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaman (Post 22401333)

If you can adjust your software to eliminate this, that would be appreciated by all. :cheers2:

Yodaman 12-03-2018 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 22401358)
If you can adjust your software to eliminate this, that would be appreciated by all. :cheers2:

Done! Thanks, when I use the app it’s there. Not anymore!

CCWFacts 12-03-2018 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaman (Post 22401256)
Yes. I meant in regards to CCW. He know as anyone else who is familiar with LAC politics, that’s once he tries to allow “more” CCWs (is it’s actually to the everyday population) that he will loose support from the LA Board of Supervisors, and liberal donors.

There is a reason why CCWs haven’t been so obtainable in LAC in many years.

Definitely right on all that. That's why I'm keeping my expectations extremely low on this.

Quote:

Key question: Did wealthy liberal donors back McDonnell or AV? My GUESS is they backed the incumbent

Clearly. I could look for the ref but I think McD spent 8x the money.

Quote:

and AV's "base" was his fellow Latinos. They're the ones he's beholden to.

Clearly. I could find the ref, but anyway, they estimated he got 80% of the Latinx vote. He has blue eyes, he's half Polish, but he's got a vowel at the end of his name and that's who he's beholden to. The major issue that got him to victory was kicking ICE out of jails. And they do not see any reason for gringos to be packing in Los Angeles. And he is clearly promoting people who are not prepared, just because they're non-white. Welcome to the new California.

Yodaman 12-03-2018 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCWFacts (Post 22401503)
he is clearly promoting people who are not prepared

Clearly! Industry Station has not been providing good services to one of their contract at a minimum.

That’s the fault of brass. Not the everyday Dep.

CCWFacts 12-03-2018 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaman (Post 22401522)
Clearly! Industry Station has not been providing good services to one of their contract at a minimum.

That’s the fault of brass. Not the everyday Dep.

I get the impression you're an insider to the department. I'm definitely not, but when a news article says he's promoting people skipping four levels, and that he has never held a high-profile position before... well, clearly he's promoting people who aren't ready. Maybe we'll get lucky and everything will be great.

baggss 12-03-2018 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCWFacts (Post 22401542)
Maybe we'll get lucky and everything will be great.

Sure. Whats the worst that could happen? :TFH:

CCWFacts 12-03-2018 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggss (Post 22401657)
Sure. Whats the worst that could happen? :TFH:

I would say that the worst thing that could happen is:

http://wavenewspapers.com/wp-content...ess-032918.jpg

and:

https://panampost.com/wp-content/uploads/MS-13-LA.jpg

but that's all already happened so I don't know how to answer your question.

CCWFacts 12-07-2018 8:24 PM

More news from the new Sheriff:
Now he has told nearly 500 other supervisors on his staff that their jobs too are being reevaluated.

In a massive review, all lieutenants, captains and commanders have been asked to hand in forms that detail their years of experience. The fill-in-the-blank résumés will be used to determine whether the officials will remain in their positions or be reassigned, including to lower levels for a set period of time, Villanueva said.

But in what some describe as an even more jarring move, Villanueva also told all the supervisors on Tuesday to temporarily remove a part of their uniforms some of them worked decades to earn: the gold pins on their collar that indicate their rank.
This sheriff is shaking things up. What, if anything, this means for CCW, I have no idea.

Yodaman 12-07-2018 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCWFacts (Post 22417185)
More news from the new Sheriff:

Now he has told nearly 500 other supervisors on his staff that their jobs too are being reevaluated.

In a massive review, all lieutenants, captains and commanders have been asked to hand in forms that detail their years of experience. The fill-in-the-blank résumés will be used to determine whether the officials will remain in their positions or be reassigned, including to lower levels for a set period of time, Villanueva said.

But in what some describe as an even more jarring move, Villanueva also told all the supervisors on Tuesday to temporarily remove a part of their uniforms some of them worked decades to earn: the gold pins on their collar that indicate their rank.

This sheriff is shaking things up. What, if anything, this means for CCW, I have no idea.

Yeah I’m sure his staff loves him right now. Way to win over the troops guy.

fullcodecpr 12-09-2018 1:10 PM

I spoke to a friend of mine who is on the move list she didn’t leap frog that many positions she was promoted to captain, a position I believe she deserved a couple years ago. The la times to no surprise for that wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCWFacts (Post 22401179)

Paladin 12-09-2018 9:33 PM

I should reiterate for regular posters in this thread that AV said he’d issue more CCWs than McDonnell (dark red), but fewer than Lindsey (dark green). That means he could take LA Co to light red (few applicants get issued), yellow (some get issued), or light green (most get issued). Of those options, we went for light red for the map to not get people’s hopes too far up. But until AV revises the CCW info and people apply and let us know how it goes, we’re just guessing and could be wrong.

What am I saying? LA Co may really be yellow or light green right now. Go and apply if you can afford to waste the time, money and effort involved. Let us know how it goes.

If it turns out AV did take it to yellow (possible), or light green (unlikely), you’ll be ahead of the flood of applicants....

fullcodecpr 12-10-2018 10:11 AM

I emailed him and his team when he was running the response I got was essentially he would follow state laws on issueing not additional requirements like McDonnell.this is from the email, “ Sorry for the delay, here is my position. I will issue based on a showing of good cause, NOT an impossible standard as the one the incumbent is using. Occupation, business situation, victim of stalking, criminal threats, and related issues are examples where CCWs will be granted assuming all other legal requirements are met.

Hope this helps,”

If anyone would like me to forward the original email dm me

Paladin 12-10-2018 2:59 PM

Quote:

I will issue based on a showing of good cause, NOT an impossible standard as the one the incumbent is using.
This says he's not dark red.

Quote:

Occupation, business situation, victim of stalking, criminal threats, and related issues are examples where CCWs will be granted assuming all other legal requirements are met.
This says he's light red or perhaps yellow. We'll have to wait for people to apply, get issued or denied and post re. their experience before determining which one.

Light green would be where he'll issue for protection against risks that you voluntarily face (e.g., hiking, backpacking, motorcycling in wilderness, far away from rapid LE response, spotty cell coverage, etc.).

Paladin 12-10-2018 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 22401128)
Since the LASD website still shows McDonnell, it's CCW info also hasn't been updated. Once it shows Villanueva as sheriff, we'll look to see if the CCW info has also be revised, and if so, check it to ensure it too supports "light red" and to see if it indicates yellow or better.

Whoever notices first that LASD website no longer shows McDonnell, but rather shows Villanueva as sheriff, please post that in this thread ASAP. Thx! :cheers2:

http://sheriff.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/lasd
http://lasd.org/bio.html
http://lasd.org/pdfjs/ConcealedWeapo...icyAug2018.pdf (dated 08/01/18)
http://lasd.org/pdfjs/CCW_MPP_PDF.PDF

Still old McDonnell info & policies at those 4 linked webpages.... :(

Guess I'll try to check them every weekend to see if/when they get revised/replaced/updated.

baggss 12-10-2018 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 22425664)
This says he's not dark red.

This says he's light red or perhaps yellow. We'll have to wait for people to apply, get issued or denied and post re. their experience before determining which one.

Light green would be where he'll issue for protection against risks that you voluntarily face (e.g., hiking, backpacking, motorcycling in wilderness, far away from rapid LE response, spotty cell coverage, etc.).

Hell, even going Yellow would be a major change for LAC!

Yodaman 12-10-2018 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullcodecpr (Post 22424800)
I emailed him and his team when he was running the response I got was essentially he would follow state laws on issueing not additional requirements like McDonnell.this is from the email, “ Sorry for the delay, here is my position. I will issue based on a showing of good cause, NOT an impossible standard as the one the incumbent is using. Occupation, business situation, victim of stalking, criminal threats, and related issues are examples where CCWs will be granted assuming all other legal requirements are met.

Hope this helps,”

Pm sent

Paladin 12-10-2018 8:13 PM

Quote:

2 PM's sent.

Paladin 12-10-2018 8:31 PM

Quote:

I should point out that while AV does say he'll issue in what we consider "light red" situations, he does NOT say he'll NOT issue for "yellow" situations. In the newspaper interview I quoted before on previous page of this thread, he only said he wouldn't give them out like Lindsey would ("dark green").

Quote:

Quote:

Villanueva says he would issue more concealed carry permits than McDonnell, "who is basically issuing none" (there are about 200 people in L.A. County with these permits), but fewer than Lindsey, "who wants to basically hand them out like candy."

To establish whether an applicant has "good cause" to be issued a concealed carry permit, Villanueva says he would consider whether there’s a "documentable" threat to the applicant’s safety, and whether the applicant lives or works in remote locations without immediate access to first responders.
From: https://www.scpr.org/news/2018/06/01...la-sheriff-ji/
Like I said before, if you can afford to waste the time and money of applying and you only have "yellow" Good Cause, if you really want a CA CCW, I'd go for it! :cheers2:

Although he also does NOT rule out "light green" situations, I highly doubt he'll liberalize that much, at least at first. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 22425664)

Paladin 12-12-2018 9:43 PM

Did anyone volunteer or work with Villanueva's campaign? If so, can you PM me. Yes, this is both urgent and important.

socal m1 shooter 12-16-2018 5:29 PM

Villanueva apparently has a record of playing the race card when promotional exams didn't go his way, which is hardly encouraging (he sued to get the rank of LT). Would he have won without democrat endorsement? Hard to say. His choice for undersheriff (a.k.a. Assistant Sheriff in charge of countywide operations) has some scratching their heads, but his pick for Assistant Sheriff over patrol is probably solid.

Will this yield a more reasonable CCW climate in LA County? If not, maybe a perfect plaintiff or two is waiting in the wings. Let's hope for the best.

Cokebottle 12-30-2018 1:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ5&G23 (Post 22494494)
This what you're waiting for?
http://www.lasd.org/ccw_info.html

Ya... Better than it was, but not good for Joe Average. This really doesn't look like much of a change.
Quote:

To qualify for a CCW, each applicant must demonstrate
(1) proof of good moral character,
(2) that good cause exists, and
(3) that the applicant is a resident of the county or a city within the county, or, that the applicant spends a substantial period of time in the applicant’s
place of employment or business in the county or a city within the county.

In addition, the applicant must complete the training requirements as listed above.
According to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department policy (5-09/380.10) and the California Supreme Court (CBS, Inc. v. Block, (1986) 42 Cal.3d 646), good cause shall exist only if there is convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life, or of great bodily harm to the applicant, his spouse, or dependent child, which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant’s carrying of a concealed firearm.

The character requirement will be fulfilled by, but not limited to, a criminal history check through the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation.
The good cause requirement will only be fulfilled by thoroughly justifying the applicant’s need to the Sheriff or his designee on the application form.
The residency requirement will be fulfilled upon presentation of an approved, recognized identification card and at least one recently canceled item of United States mail.

concealcarrypizza 12-30-2018 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 22494606)
Ya... Better than it was, but not good for Joe Average. This really doesn't look like much of a change.

Damn. Might never move back. But I'm gonna have to call the CCW office and complain.

Right now the CCW to Gang Member ratio of LA County is 1 to 625!!!!

Yodaman 12-30-2018 1:59 PM

Los Angeles

Quote:

Originally Posted by concealcarrypizza (Post 22494624)
Damn. Might never move back. But I'm gonna have to call the CCW office and complain.

Right now the CCW to Gang Member ratio of LA County is 1 to 625!!!!

Haha yeah they will file the complaint away for sure.

concealcarrypizza 12-30-2018 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaman (Post 22494672)
Haha yeah they will file the complaint away for sure.

There's 20,000 CCW's right next door in Orange County! Many of whom work in LA city like downtown. They can't ignore this trend forever without realizing how law abiding CCW's are.

Paladin 12-30-2018 8:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ5&G23 (Post 22494494)
This what you're waiting for?
http://www.lasd.org/ccw_info.html

No. That page just has links to the substance. It's CCW Licensing Policy (dated 08/01/18 and on p. 2 misrepresents what the CA SC held in CBS v. Block) and LASD CCW Policy (containing GC info in middle of first page) linked documents that are holdovers from McDonnell's tenure.

If neither of those change, AV will use McDonnell's highly restrictive CCW policy, but at least he promised he'll issue consistent w/that policy.... ("light red" on the map)

I'm hoping for better ("yellow"). If the posted policy/CCW GC info doesn't change by July 01, I doubt it ever will....

Cokebottle 12-30-2018 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concealcarrypizza (Post 22495026)
There's 20,000 CCW's right next door in Orange County! Many of whom work in LA city like downtown. They can't ignore this trend forever without realizing how law abiding CCW's are.

Sure they can.
"We have 125,000 gang members that will clog the system trying to get CCWs, and some of them will slip through the cracks and be issued permits"

concealcarrypizza 12-30-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 22496159)
Sure they can.
"We have 125,000 gang members that will clog the system trying to get CCWs, and some of them will slip through the cracks and be issued permits"

Chicago has even more gangs, and when CCW became shall issue in Chicago, crime dropped dramatically.

Academic study that shows crime dropped in Chicago when CCW issuance
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...1.2017.1400645

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...-carry-surges/

Quote:

More Guns, Less Crime: Since Illinois began issuing concealed-carry permits this year, robberies, burglaries, car thefts and, yes, even murder, are down significantly.

Last month, when an 86-year-old Crestwood, Ill., man decided to visit his local phone store, he arrived to find a robbery underway. After staying outside to keep others from entering the store, he saw the suspect fleeing through a back door. He pursued the suspect, legal firearm in hand, stopped him, then held him until police arrived to make the arrest.

The actions of the unidentified law-abiding citizen were made possible by Illinois becoming the 50th and final state to enact a concealed-carry law, legislation that, as it has done nationwide, coincides with a precipitous drop in the Chicago crime rate.

Chicago Police Superintendent Gerry McCarthy, at a recent city council hearing, reported the good news of less crime. He credited better police work, but there's another factor McCarthy left unstated — the increase in the number of pistol-packing permits that let citizens defend themselves, their families and their neighbors. The law has left criminals uncertain of who might be able to shoot back.
At this point, academic research disagrees with the "CCW is bad" argument, especially in cities with a lot of gangs like Chicago or LA.

Ignoring facts is what anti-vaxxers and climate change deniers do. I'm pretty sure LASD uses data science to fight crime. This is a natural step for community policing to share the burden.