Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   No fire/safe engraving on my lower (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1189716)

Dntsdad 04-21-2016 7:40 PM

No fire/safe engraving on my lower

Ar15 virgin and just got my 1st 80% lower in the mail from Modulus Arms.

Its a thing of beauty I have to say but there is no fire/safe markings on it which i would like to have, especially being new to the platform.

Is there anything i can do outside of having it engraved and then having to pay to have it reanodized for big $$$$

Stickers dont seem like a long term solution.

I am hoping there is something out there that I am not aware of that would work for this as it goes together.

Thanks in advance.

IrishJoe3 04-21-2016 7:49 PM

Vader Spade can etch for you for a reasonable price, or you can do it yourself via electroetch. I have a thread on how to do that sonewhere

Edit - here is the linkhttps://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=949819

IrishJoe3 04-21-2016 7:51 PM

Electroetch does require bare metal

Fuge 04-21-2016 8:04 PM

3/16 drill bit. Drill to there is a small dimple. Red and white Testors or nail polish to fill. White =safe Red=fire

IrishJoe3 04-21-2016 8:10 PM

There you go. Or a $7 harbor freight stamp set, "F" for fire, "S" for safe.

1bulletBarney 04-21-2016 8:11 PM

I have a KE Arms 80% lower in the safe waiting for me to get busy on. A real nice hard black anodized finish. No fire/safe engraving on it and its gonna stay that way... ;)

baih777 04-21-2016 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuge (Post 18042899)
3/16 drill bit. Drill to there is a small dimple. Red and white Testors or nail polish to fill. White =safe Red=fire

good idea. simple.

Dntsdad 04-21-2016 9:23 PM

I like the drill idea and some color there to help identify mode

I'd leave it but my neices and nephews will probably handle it over time and want to teach to watch safe/fire and with nothing there, well............

thanks for the suggestions. Ill check out the HF stamps as well

1bulletBarney 04-21-2016 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dntsdad (Post 18043179)

I'd leave it but my neices and nephews will probably handle it over time and want to teach to watch safe/fire and with nothing there, well............

Just teach the neices and nephews to think "shoulder thing that goes UP"/fire... :chris:

Jimi Jah 04-22-2016 9:20 AM

Local shops around here can engrave that for as little as $25.

Midtown 04-22-2016 9:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dntsdad (Post 18043179)

The thing about the red meaning fire is that it is more universal. Traditional safeties are also red for ready to fire. Could be a good lesson that translates to other firearms.

Nathan Krynn 04-22-2016 11:44 AM

You can't re-anodize really. Anodize is like mold on bread, it grows in and out of the metal. To remove you must remove metal. this means your lower is now out of spec. They can plug the holes but thats a whole other set of issues.

Once anodized you leave it be.

jimbo74 04-22-2016 12:05 PM

RED=DEAD

General 04-22-2016 12:13 PM

DEAD = RED, for lenin's bday.

cockedandglocked 04-22-2016 12:37 PM

My first one didn't have markings either, and it just stayed that way. If you follow the firearms safety rules, it doesn't matter if you know whether it's in safe or fire.

Plus, AR safeties are pretty logical - your thumb goes right into your firing grip when flicking it off, and your thumb comes out of firing grip when you flick it back into safe.

IrishJoe3 04-22-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Krynn (Post 18045953)
Once anodized you leave it be.

Unless you paint. :)

bohoki 04-22-2016 1:15 PM

on my norinco 213 it has 2 dots one red one green and i thought it seemed odd since red means stop and green means go

stix213 04-22-2016 1:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 (Post 18042948)

Anodized aluminum is soft enough to stamp at home?

IrishJoe3 04-22-2016 1:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stix213 (Post 18046475)
Anodized aluminum is soft enough to stamp at home?

I have never stamped anodized aluminum. However, I have used those stamps on steel, which is much harder than aluminum regardless of anodizing

keenkeen 04-22-2016 1:43 PM

Have it lazer etched, basically you only burn the pigment out of the oxide coating but the protective oxide layer is still there.

BarrettM99 04-22-2016 1:45 PM

You can use cold blue over the bare metal. That also works.

Nathan Krynn 04-22-2016 1:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrettM99 (Post 18046592)
You can use cold blue over the bare metal. That also works.

Cold blue is for steel really.

Use alumablack. I have done this and its a good idea. Wear gloves as its like cancer in a bottle. Use a q-tip put but a bunch on the engraving, wait 5 min, rinse with cold water. Literally rinse and repeat till the color you want.

I dont even like removing anodize for cerakote, I do it over it. Comes out fine for me.

None of this is for the business, its just personal use stuff.

Like someone said though, if your looking at you weapon to see if your on "safe" or "fire" then you need to take a gun safety class. It is on safe till it is pointing at the object your shooting and then moved to "fire". All done by feel, not sight.

nate

9mmContagion 04-22-2016 11:26 PM

Laser etching doesn't remove the anodize. I do the etching on surgical instruments at work every day. The laser mark will turn white.. Nice and clear

38superdupper 04-23-2016 6:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
CARRILLO CUSTOMS INC. In Lodi will engrave your fire selector. Word or bullet pic. Both sides for $50.

https://www.facebook.com/Carrillo-Cu...7636838183128/

Attachment 499633

Socalman 04-23-2016 6:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohoki (Post 18046433)
on my norinco 213 it has 2 dots one red one green and i thought it seemed odd since red means stop and green means go

This is exactly the type of problem that led to the near melt down at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant. Color coding was used and tired operators made the wrong interpretation of the pretty lights.

Stay with the standard Fire/Safe. Though I did see one that had been engraved with Pew.....Pew,Pew.Pew.....and.....NO Pew. Translation: Semi Auto...Full three shot auto....Safe.

BarrettM99 04-23-2016 7:40 AM

Thanks for the Carillo Customs info. I just sent them an email. Need my lower engraved as well.

ScottsBad 04-23-2016 1:08 PM

Quote:

^BOOM

Most pistols only use a DOT or lever position to denote safe and fire. The bottom line is; If it is your personal rifle that only you will be shooting, you only need a mark for the first few times to the range. After that you will NEVER look at the markings again only the position of the fire control lever. So a Dot will work fine for most people.

Cadre 04-23-2016 8:17 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1188345

Rigma 04-23-2016 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 (Post 18042948)

I have seen this recommended several times now...but have never seen anyone post they actually tried it. Sounds like a good idea, but want to see pics of success before committing to it.

BarrettM99 04-23-2016 10:57 PM

There is an old shotgun news article with many pics of lowers with stamped lettering on them. Very nicely done too. You should see if you can find that article.

It's an instructional piece showing you how to properly stamp it.

Gil_MKiii 04-23-2016 11:10 PM

I had mine done by Vadertactical.com (VaderSpade). I am very pleased with the results.

AdamB330 05-26-2016 8:18 PM

Quote:

I thought this was a great idea, so I did it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...526_195732.jpg

Dezrat 05-26-2016 8:29 PM

Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....

Bldrinker 05-26-2016 8:30 PM

Quote:

This is what I did.

elmontemike 05-26-2016 8:34 PM

I was raised and taught about firearms. My father always stressed firearm safety. Like cockedandglock said "If you follow the firearms safety rules, it doesn't matter if you know whether it's in safe or fire." I cant remember the last time I put a safety on a rifle. I do use it on my browning hi power and 1911 when i carry them loaded. I don't use them because i feel the safety is the user. This is how you should be teaching your nice and nephews. I do with mine.

Your lower looks great. Get the rest together and take thise kids out shooting.

cockedandglocked 05-26-2016 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmontemike (Post 18227570)
I was raised and taught about firearms. My father always stressed firearm safety. Like cockedandglock said "If you follow the firearms safety rules, it doesn't matter if you know whether it's in safe or fire." I cant remember the last time I put a safety on a rifle. I do use it on my browning hi power and 1911 when i carry them loaded. I don't use them because i feel the safety is the user. This is how you should be teaching your nice and nephews. I do with mine.

I should expand on my original quote, that the exception is if you're in a gunfight you should probably know for sure whther it's in safe or fire. But if you can't tell by just feeling the position, you shouldn't be bringing that gun to a gunfight anyways :D

GOLDEN GUN 05-26-2016 9:27 PM

next time, pay the money to a laser engraver, then fill with matte black nail polish or white and red if you want color...

CGT80 07-09-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmontemike (Post 18227570)

I used to do the same thing, but there are competitions and classes where using the safety is mandatory. I was DQ'd from 3 gun for a ND when I was clearing a malfunction in my rifle. Luckily, I was following safety rules and had the rifle pointed at the targets, but had it at waist level when I must have slipped my finger onto the trigger without realizing it. If I had put it on safe, I wouldn't have been DQ'd, but that DQ also hammered into my head to keep the booger hook far away from the bang switch unless I want to send one down range.

The other choice to make is whether the lever on the safety selector should point to the marking or if the head of the lever should point to it. Some rifles have a pointer on the head, but my safety is just round with a lever sticking out. The lever makes more sense to me. Maybe a dot of color with some automotive grade clear coat, or just very tough paint, would hold up for a while without drilling a dimple in the lower.

The red and white dots seem like the most simple solution and my pistol and shotgun also use red for fire, as mentioned by someone else.

Mad Machinist 07-09-2016 1:22 PM

I just did a couple of 80% lowers as I am slowly changing all my AR to 80's.....Used TM anodized.....after I machine the pocket, drill the holes and engrave what ever I am gonna engrave......I spray with air dry cerokote....

Greg B 07-09-2016 7:35 PM

Engrave and just leave it bare aluminum.
I did. And it doesn't look bad at all.
Sure it could oxidize over time, but I do wipe my rifles down
with a light oil.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...sa0iqjejr.jpeg