Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Do you use loctite on your scope ring screws?? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=76132)

Teletiger7 11-22-2007 3:23 PM

Do you use loctite on your scope ring screws??

Is this necessary to keep everything steady?

ocabj 11-22-2007 3:49 PM

Which screws? If you mean the scope ring halves, then no. You NEVER use loctite on the screws for the ring halves.

You may find it useful to use loctite on the screws for the scope base screws to receiver.

Harbinger 11-22-2007 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocabj (Post 846568)
Which screws? If you mean the scope ring halves, then no. You NEVER use loctite on the screws for the ring halves.

You may find it useful to use loctite on the screws for the scope base screws to receiver.

Why not? I use a tiny little dab of blue Loctite on the scope ring half screws. I've had to remove a few of them and they snap out with enough torque. It gives me peace of mind that the screws won't back out unless I command them to, even in adverse conditions. :-)

You should NEVER use red Loctite on ANYTHING unless you NEVER intend to remove the piece. Sure, it can be done, but it usually requires high levels of heat (read: MAPP gas).

Mike

ocabj 11-22-2007 5:04 PM

For some reason, Leupold and other ring manufacturers have always advised against using any threadlocking substance on ring screws. The ring screws should have light oil, but that's it. It has become rule, but people continuously buck the trend and use blue loctite anyway.

I always use the 12.5 in lb of torque (or the tighten with the L-wrench until the fingers hurt rule) for the scope ring screws and have never had a problem with screws coming loose.

I also never use loctite on base screws, either, if the manufacturer provides torque specifcations. I use a torque wrench and torque to spec. Using a torque wrench is meant to negate the need for loctite or any treadlocker since the manufacturer torque specifications are mean to make sure that the screw/bolt doesn't come loose under use.

Scout106 11-22-2007 5:05 PM

Depends on what type of mounts and rings. I put Leupold QRs on all my large bore African rifles myself. I have never found it necessary to use LocTite and have never had a mount or ring fail - and I've fired hundreds of rounds from my .375H&H, .416Rem and .458Lott. I have requested longer mounting screws for the thicker receivers from Leupold and they have always provided them at no charge.

Teletiger7 11-22-2007 6:18 PM

"the tighten with the L-wrench until the fingers hurt rule"

Please explain. Thanks.

Guns R Tools 11-22-2007 6:32 PM

By L-wrench, do you mean allen wrench or hex key?

ocabj 11-22-2007 7:38 PM

Most scope rings come with a small allen wrench (or torx, in the case of Leupold) shaped like an L.

Screw in the scope rings until snug. Then hold short end of the wrench and begin tightening the screws as tight as possible in this manner. When you hold the short end of the L wrench and try to tighten as hard as you can with one hand, it's going to hurt your fingers. That's basically within the 12-15 in lbs spec that the scope ring screws call for. Not too loose, not too tight to ruin the scope tube. It's very unscientific, but it's a popular method for those without a torque wrench that can be set for 12-15 in lbs.

Don't use a screwdriver with a torx/allen bit to tighten down the scope ring screws. You can get a lot of torque with a driver without knowing it. Definitely enough that will cause binding (if you didn't lap the scope rings) and possibly enough to exert excessive pressure on the tube itself.

Harbinger 11-22-2007 8:38 PM

Again, nobody has ever been able to justify NOT using Loctite on scope rings. I'm always greeted with, "OMG what!? NO! NEVER ON THE RINGS! :eek:". My suspicion is that a great number of people were using RED Loctite and RUINING their rings. So, as a precaution and because Leupold makes perfectly threaded and aligned mounts, they decided to recommend against Loctite all together.

I've had one or two screws back out (slightly) on non-Loctited Armalite and Weaver mounts. This was with factory specified torquing. YMMV.

Mike

arfan66 11-22-2007 9:25 PM

As per LaRue Tactical instructions - yes, I used the blue loctite they provided :cool:

586L-Frame 12-04-2007 12:06 AM

My scope mount was consistently vibrating loose.
So i went to my local Ace hardware store and the owner
highly recommended that I should use the Red locktite
vs the Blue Locktite for the screws on my Piticanny
Weaver scope Mount.

I just applied it two days ago and it has set.
Hopefully it'll will hold everything down permanently.
I hope I don't regret making this choice.

586L-Frame