Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Orange (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352774)

bentbiker 02-14-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBDamned (Post 15790524)
http://ocsd.org/about/info/services/ccw/#
hover over "important documents" under CCW License in the left...

The links for good cause statements in OP aren't needed for OC... "lawful self defense" is the only cause needed...

here's a thread with time-lines and other relevant snippets pertaining to the application process: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=912905

There are several other threads in this (CCW) section - just send some time searching through them (if you haven't already)

Thank you for the help. Interview date was provided immediately, albeit 7 mos out.

sig-guy 02-15-2015 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBDamned (Post 15805519)
I'm not an expert (although many here think they are) - but I'd recommend keeping it as clean as possible without reason to open up further questioning or scrutiny. If your concern is that Peruta may get overturned and Sheriff Hutchens rescinds permits, then you'll have to determine if it's worth adding (potentially) unneeded cause statements.

You're definitely more expert than most. Thanks for all the help/advice.

DannyInSoCal 02-18-2015 7:24 PM

Applied in May 2014 - Picked it up yesterday.

Triple check your info - I found four different mistakes.

They corrected them on the spot - Including a sidearm change...

vdrum4250 02-19-2015 9:07 AM

has that been the standard time frame. i just requested interview...set for sept 2015

Citadelgrad87 02-19-2015 9:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdrum4250 (Post 15841050)
has that been the standard time frame. i just requested interview...set for sept 2015

Yes, first interview is set months out.

At some point, you will get an email or call advancing the date. Mine gave me a month's heads up via email, others have reported a phone call asking if they could come in later the same week.

Not sure why some get calls, others get emails.

OcRider 02-19-2015 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdrum4250 (Post 15841050)

Your date will likely be moved up several times. The whole process from appointment request to picking up my licence took 90 days for me. Make sure that you confirm the new date every time they email you. You have to reply to the email to confirm otherwise they'll give the spot to someone else.

vdrum4250 02-26-2015 5:31 AM

ocrider, the emails now have this on the end of the email.

*** This email will serve as a confirmation of your appointment ***

jt183 02-26-2015 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panzer ace (Post 15801760)
I know you should not list a firearm with alterations like a new trigger. What about laser sights? Is it acceptable to have changed the grip? Laser grip or rail mounted laser?

externals upgrades are okay, i.e. sights, grips.

But if you were involved in a shooting, the prosecuting party "may" or may not use the laser sights against you in the court of law.

Besides, do you really need a laser sight? Just go to the range and practice.

msbscott 02-27-2015 12:03 PM

applied online a couple weeks ago. rec'd an October date. they just moved it up to two weeks from now..
my wife applied at the same time, rec'd the same October date. they just moved her's up to next month.

sig-guy 02-27-2015 2:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbscott (Post 15888906)
applied online a couple weeks ago. rec'd an October date. they just moved it up to two weeks from now..
my wife applied at the same time, rec'd the same October date. they just moved her's up to next month.

90 days? That's incredible considering what most people are waiting through.

Doheny 02-27-2015 5:25 PM

Orange - *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbscott (Post 15888906)

Good examples of why one should get their paperwork in order as soon as they make their appointment. Some folks have been surprised when they received a call asking them to come in the following week or even the following day.

Good luck to you, let us know how it goes.

sig-guy 02-27-2015 9:59 PM

....yea, it's a little strange considering I applied online a few months ago and even though my date has been moved up a few times it is still after what msbscott has.

msbscott 03-01-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sig-guy (Post 15889897)
90 days? That's incredible considering what most people are waiting through.

sig-guy
mine is not 90 days. first online app till my appt in 9 days from now puts me at under 30 days.
same for my wife puts her at about 45 days.

sig-guy 03-01-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbscott (Post 15899451)
sig-guy
mine is not 90 days. first online app till my appt in 9 days from now puts me at under 30 days.
same for my wife puts her at about 45 days.

Yea - I was adding some time for you to do your scan and get the permit. You seem to be on a light-speed path.

bigbob76 03-01-2015 5:40 PM

Things are not looking good for me I guess. I applied in January, got a date at the end of September and and haven't been moved up any.

Doheny 03-01-2015 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbob76 (Post 15901583)
Things are not looking good for me I guess. I applied in January, got a date at the end of September and and haven't been moved up any.

You'll be moved up, don't fret. Not sure how some people get moved ahead of others or get appointments ahead of people already on list, but you will eventually get a sooner appointment.

Dvrjon 03-12-2015 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panzer ace (Post 15801760)
I know you should not list a firearm with alterations like a new trigger. What about laser sights? Is it acceptable to have changed the grip? Laser grip or rail mounted laser?

Go here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=383

Open the thread at that point. (Top right, just above the number "383".

Enjoy the read.

Best.

doraemon 03-19-2015 10:20 PM

i applied feb, got my appointment sept, anyone know how much is the fee and if I should do the ccw training now?

Albs 03-19-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doraemon (Post 16004465)
i applied feb, got my appointment sept, anyone know how much is the fee and if I should do the ccw training now?

What fee are you talking about? Livescan is like ~100, I forgot the exact amount, cost of CCW Training varies; but expect to spend at least 200 including ammo, when you pick up your permit from OCSD you have to pay them 102.22.

Regarding if you should do your livescan and ccw training. Livescan no. CCW Training no; someone else could probably shed more light to this, but I've been told it usually will only be good for 6 months, so if your interview doesn't get bumped, then you'll be a sad person.

doraemon 03-20-2015 7:57 AM

I see, thanks, Albs.

wisardd1 03-23-2015 9:19 AM

Isn't the previous post considered spamming?

Crom 03-23-2015 10:27 AM

I deleted the ads as they were in the wrong section of the forum. I PM'd the author of the ads and explained that they should post in the right section.

PaIadin 03-24-2015 8:44 AM

Applied for Appointment: 3/23/2015
Initial Appointment Date: 11/05/2015

Doheny 03-24-2015 10:20 AM

Orange - *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaIadin (Post 16028055)
Applied for Appointment: 3/23/2015
Initial Appointment Date: 11/05/2015

Why are you just applying? You've been around forever! ;)

You'll be bumped up soon.

Albs 03-26-2015 1:58 PM

Well I guess I should feel a little bit better that I just got an email to pick up my plastic card at the end of the month just after hearing about the Peruta rehearing.

Here's my timeline:

Applied for Appointment: 8/25/14
Initial Appointment Date: 01/06/15
Appointment Date bumped: 12/22/14
Interview: 12/05/14
Residency Check: 12/10/14
Livescan: 01/02/15
Conditional Approval: 02/25/15
Training: 03/03/15
Email to pick up: 03/26/15
Pick up date: 03/31/15

magic7s 03-26-2015 5:17 PM

Any risk to current card holders losing their CCW if "SD" was used as good cause? Renewals?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albs 03-26-2015 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic7s (Post 16043094)
Any risk to current card holders losing their CCW if "SD" was used as good cause? Renewals?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what you meant by "SD" being used as a good cause. I'm going to interpret that as the Peruta case being overturned. If it does I highly doubt current card holders will have their CCW revoked. Worse case, when renewal comes, they'll need a "good cause" statement to keep it.

repo4sale 03-26-2015 7:37 PM

Rule 35. En Banc Determination
(a) When Hearing or Rehearing En Banc May Be Ordered. A majority of the circuit judges who are in regular active service and who are not disqualified may order that an appeal or other proceeding be heard or reheard by the court of appeals en banc. An en banc hearing or rehearing is not favored and ordinarily will not be ordered unless:

(1) en banc consideration is necessary to secure or maintain uniformity of the court's decisions; or

(2) the proceeding involves a question of exceptional importance.

(b) Petition for Hearing or Rehearing En Banc. A party may petition for a hearing or rehearing en banc.

(1) The petition must begin with a statement that either:

(A) the panel decision conflicts with a decision of the United States Supreme Court or of the court to which the petition is addressed (with citation to the conflicting case or cases) and consideration by the full court is therefore necessary to secure and maintain uniformity of the court's decisions; or

(B) the proceeding involves one or more questions of exceptional importance, each of which must be concisely stated; for example, a petition may assert that a proceeding presents a question of exceptional importance if it involves an issue on which the panel decision conflicts with the authoritative decisions of other United States Courts of Appeals that have addressed the issue.

(2) Except by the court's permission, a petition for an en banc hearing or rehearing must not exceed 15 pages, excluding material not counted under Rule 32.

(3) For purposes of the page limit in Rule 35(b)(2), if a party files both a petition for panel rehearing and a petition for rehearing en banc, they are considered a single document even if they are filed separately, unless separate filing is required by local rule.

(c) Time for Petition for Hearing or Rehearing En Banc. A petition that an appeal be heard initially en banc must be filed by the date when the appellee's brief is due. A petition for a rehearing en banc must be filed within the time prescribed by Rule 40 for filing a petition for rehearing.

(d) Number of Copies. The number of copies to be filed must be prescribed by local rule and may be altered by order in a particular case.

(e) Response. No response may be filed to a petition for an en banc consideration unless the court orders a response.

(f) Call for a Vote. A vote need not be taken to determine whether the case will be heard or reheard en banc unless a judge calls for a vote.

Sent from my SM-G386T1

repo4sale 03-26-2015 7:39 PM

Pray for a good majority vote!

Sent from my SM-G386T1

repo4sale 03-26-2015 7:41 PM

Read orders here=

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/..._id=0000000722

Sent from my SM-G386T1

repo4sale 03-26-2015 7:44 PM

Here is a list of the current Justices for the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals – a majority of whom elected to rehear the case:

JUDGES OF THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE NINTH CIRCUIT

Sidney R. Thomas Chief Judge, Billings, Montana

Alfred T. Goodwin Senior Circuit Judge, Pasadena, California

J. Clifford Wallace Senior Circuit Judge, San Diego, California

Procter Hug, Jr. Senior Circuit Judge, Reno, Nevada

Mary M. Schroeder Senior Circuit Judge, Phoenix, Arizona

Jerome Farris Senior Circuit Judge, Seattle, Washington

Harry Pregerson Circuit Judge, Woodland Hills, California

Arthur L. Alarcon Senior Circuit Judge, Los Angeles, California

Dorothy W. Nelson Senior Circuit Judge, Pasadena, California

William C. Canby, Jr. Senior Circuit Judge, Phoenix, Arizona

Stephen Reinhardt Circuit Judge, Los Angeles, California

Alex Kozinski Circuit Judge, Pasadena, California

John T. Noonan, Jr. Senior Circuit Judge, San Francisco, California

Diarmuid F. O'Scannlain Circuit Judge, Portland, Oregon

Edward Leavy Senior Circuit Judge, Portland, Oregon

Stephen S. Trott Senior Circuit Judge, Boise, Idaho –

Ferdinand F. Fernandez Senior Circuit Judge, Pasadena, California

Andrew J. Kleinfeld Senior Circuit Judge, Fairbanks, Alaska

Michael Daly Hawkins Senior Circuit Judge, Phoenix, Arizona

Wallace Tashima Senior Circuit Judge, Pasadena, California

Barry G. Silverman Circuit Judge, Phoenix, Arizona

Susan P. Graber Circuit Judge, Portland, Oregon

M. Margaret McKeown Circuit Judge, San Diego, California

Kim McLane Wardlaw Circuit Judge, Pasadena, California

William A. Fletcher Circuit Judge, San Francisco, California

Raymond C. Fisher Senior Circuit Judge, Pasadena, California

Ronald M. Gould Circuit Judge, Seattle, Washington

Richard A. Paez Circuit Judge, Pasadena, California

Marsha S. Berzon Circuit Judge, San Francisco, California

Richard C. Tallman Circuit Judge, Seattle, Washington

Johnnie B. Rawlinson Circuit Judge, Las Vegas, Nevada

Richard R. Clifton Circuit Judge, Honolulu, Hawaii

Jay S. Bybee Circuit Judge, Las Vegas, Nevada

Consuelo M. Callahan Circuit Judge, Sacramento, California

Carlos T. Bea Circuit Judge, San Francisco, California

Milan D. Smith, Jr. Circuit Judge, Pasadena, California

Sandra S. Ikuta Circuit Judge, Pasadena, California

N. Randy Smith Circuit Judge, Pocatello, Idaho

Mary H. Murguia Circuit Judge, Phoenix, Arizona

Morgan Christen Circuit Judge, Anchorage, Alaska

Jacqueline H. Nguyen Circuit Judge, Pasadena, California

Paul J. Watford Circuit Judge, Pasadena, California

Andrew D. Hurwitz Circuit Judge, Phoenix, Arizona

John Byron Owens Circuit Judge, San Diego, California

Michelle T. Friedland Circuit Judge, San Francisco, California

Sent from my SM-G386T1

repo4sale 03-26-2015 7:53 PM

CIRCUIT RULE 35-3. LIMITED EN BANC COURT

The en banc court, for each case or group of related cases taken en banc, shall consist of the Chief Judge of this circuit and 10 additional judges to be drawn by lot from the active judges of the Court. In the absence of the Chief Judge, an 11th active judge shall be drawn by lot, and the most senior active judge on the panel shall preside. (Rev. 1/1/06, 7/1/07) The drawing of the en banc court will be performed by the Clerk or a deputy clerk of the Court in the presence of at least one judge and shall take place on the first working day following the date of the order taking the case or group of related cases en banc. If a judge whose name is drawn for a particular en banc court is disqualified, recused, or knows that he or she will be unable to sit at the time and place designated for the en banc case or cases, the judge will immediately notify the Chief Judge who will direct the Clerk to draw a replacement judge by lot. (Rev. 1/1/06) -143- RAP 35 In appropriate cases, the Court may order a rehearing by the full court following a hearing or rehearing en banc. Cross Reference: • FRAP 40. Petition for Panel Rehearing on page 155

CIRCUIT ADVISORY COMMITTEE NOTE TO RULES 35‑1 TO 35‑3 (1) Calculation of Filing Deadline. Litigants are reminded that a petition for rehearing en banc must be received by the clerk in San Francisco on the due date. See FRAP 25(a)(1) and (2)(A) and Circuit Rule 25-2; see also United States v. James, 146 F.3d 1183 (9th Cir. 1998). (Rev. 12/1/02; 12/1/09; 1/1/12) (2) Petition for Rehearing En Banc. When the clerk receives a timely petition for rehearing en banc, copies are sent to all active judges. If the panel grants rehearing it so advises the other members of the Court, and the petition for rehearing en banc is deemed rejected without prejudice to its renewal after the panel completes action on the rehearing. Cases are rarely reheard en banc. If no petition for rehearing en banc has been submitted and the panel votes to deny rehearing an order to that effect will be prepared and filed. If a petition for rehearing en banc has been made, any judge may, within 21 days from receipt of the en banc petition, request the panel to make known its recommendation as to en banc consideration. Upon receipt of the panel's recommendation, any judge has 14 days to call for en banc consideration, whereupon a vote will be taken. If no judge requests or gives notice of an intention to request en banc consideration within 21 days of the receipt of the en banc petition, the panel will enter an order denying rehearing and rejecting the petition for rehearing en banc. Any active judge who is not recused or disqualified and who entered upon active service before the request for an en banc vote is eligible to vote. A judge who takes senior status after a call for a vote may not vote or be drawn to serve on the en banc court. This rule is subject to two exceptions: (1) a judge who takes senior status during the pendency of an en banc case for which the judge has already been chosen as a member of the en banc court may continue to serve on that court until the case is finally disposed of; and (2) a senior judge may elect to be eligible, in the same manner as an active judge, to be selected as a member of the en banc court when it reviews a decision of a panel of which the judge was a member. The En Banc Coordinator notifies the judges when voting is complete. If the recommendation or request fails of a majority, the En Banc Coordinator notifies the -144- RAP 35 judges and the panel resumes control of the case. The panel then enters an appropriate order denying en banc consideration. The order will not specify the vote tally. (3) Grant of Rehearing En Banc. When the Court votes to rehear a matter en banc, the Chief Judge will enter an order so indicating. The vote tally is not communicated to the parties. The three-judge panel opinion shall not be cited as precedent by or to this Court or any district court of the Ninth Circuit, except to the extent adopted by the en banc court. (Rev. 1/1/00) After the en banc court is chosen, the judges on the panel decide whether there will be oral argument or additional briefing. If there is to be oral argument, the Chief Judge (or the next senior active judge as the case may be) will enter an order designating the date, time and place of argument. If no oral argument is to be heard, the Chief Judge will designate a date, time, and place for a conference of the en banc court. That date will ordinarily be the submission date of the case. If any issues have been isolated for specific attention, the order may also set forth those issues and additional briefing may be ordered. (Rev. 1/03; 12/1/09)

Sent from my SM-G386T1

repo4sale 03-26-2015 9:21 PM

The en banc court, for each case or group of related cases taken en banc, shall consist of the Chief Judge of this circuit and 10 additional judges to be drawn by lot from the active judges of the Court. In the absence of the Chief Judge, an 11th active judge shall be drawn by lot, and the most senior active judge on the panel shall preside. (Rev. 1/1/06, 7/1/07) The drawing of the en banc court will be performed by the Clerk or a deputy clerk of the Court in the presence of at least one judge and shall take place on the first working day following the date of the order taking the case or group of related cases en banc. If a judge whose name is drawn for a particular en banc court is disqualified, recused, or knows that he or she will be unable to sit at the time and place designated for the en banc case or cases, the judge will immediately notify the Chief Judge who will direct the Clerk to draw a replacement judge by lot.

So the Court making the ultimate decision is made up of 11 judges, drawn by lot from the list above, minus those who recuse themselves.

Sent from my SM-G386T1

repo4sale 03-26-2015 9:28 PM

What timing! Got my CCW card & 2 insurance policies 8 days ago!

Sent from my SM-G386T1

Albs 03-27-2015 1:56 PM

Quote:

Peruta v. County of San Diego - Update
The Peruta v. County of San Diego panel decision has been withdrawn by a decision to rehear the case en banc in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

New applicants, and those applicants currently in process, will be required to articulate their safety concerns and provide supporting documentation in accordance with the Orange County Sheriff’s Department’s (OCSD) Policy 218. Each application will be evaluated individually based on the merits of the applicant’s good cause statement and the totality of their circumstances.

CCW Licenses issued under the previous Peruta standard of good cause are lawful and will not be recalled. Current licensees may be required to provide supplemental information and documentation in support of their good cause statement when they attempt to renew their CCW license. All renewal applications are subject to the legal standards at the time of renewal.

Prospective applicants are encouraged to attend their scheduled appointments and submit their CCW applications for consideration. Applications approved after Thursday, March 26, 2015, are subject to the good cause requirement in OCSD Policy 218.

Please be aware the application process includes an interview, fingerprinting, background checks, residency verification, successful completion of firearms training, and the payment of all related fees. Applicants may also be required to pass a psychological examination as part of the CCW application process in accordance with California Penal Code Section 26190(f)(1).
http://ocsd.org/about/info/services/ccw

ant21b 03-29-2015 8:52 AM

No good cause can simply mean self defense you dont know otherwise.

Bucc 03-30-2015 1:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ant21b (Post 16056216)
No good cause can simply mean self defense you dont know otherwise.

That's why people are now getting requests from their interviewers for amended "good cause" statements?
The problem is, "good cause" is no longer simply "self defense", you need to come up with specific reasons why you feel you need to carry for self defense.
What reasons the Sheriff's Dept. policy calls "good cause" is something of a question at the moment. Failing you being a testifying witness agains organized crime, a politician, a celebrity.......good luck.
They say there are good cause statements that will make the cut;
I overheard the deputy checking people in the day of my interview talking about what that MIGHT be. It was a relatively high bar. Example:
Large cash deposits from a business made on a regular basis. These deposits need be be of record going back several months. The number mentioned was very high.
The problem is, I don't know if the guy talking had the authority to be making those statements so I cannot attest to them being a proper guideline.

JimGenz76 03-30-2015 2:44 PM

Had my initial interview on 3/23
Live Scan 3/23
Residence Check 3/28
I emailed my investigator who conducted my interview today asking if I should proceed with CCW training his response -

We are still waiting to get more direction from the Sheriff. Hold off on training for now. Prepare a good cause statement and email it to me for your file. Included anything that is pertinent such as carrying large sums of cash for business, victim of crime etc. Hopefully this week we will have a better idea of how the Sheriff will want to move forward in light of the ruling. The case will be heard in June and hopefully it won’t take too long for the court to decide. I will reach out to everyone as we get the information.

xreaperx 03-30-2015 4:26 PM

Just emailed to me by my investigator

Dear Applicant,

Due to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals vote to rehear the Peruta Case, you will need to submit a “Good Cause Statement” along with supporting documentation. Please email me this information so that I can submit your file for approval. See below for additional information.

Supporting Documentation Checklist

 Judicial Officers and Commissioners

• Copy of Bar Card

• Court identification

 Reserve Peace Officers & Sworn Officers (current and former)

• Officers and Reserves must obtain a letter verifying service or departure in good standing

 Federal Law Enforcement (current and former)

• Credentials

• Written confirmation from your Agency stating you work in a law enforcement capacity or departed in good standing

 Transporting or protection of valuable property

• Invoices, contracts or inventory of items moving

• Other verifiable documentation proving you are personally transporting valuables

 Transportation of Cash

• Bank statements

• Deposit receipts

• Letter from the bank specifying that you, personally, make cash deposits and or withdrawals (including amounts and frequency of transactions)

 Victim of Crime and or Threats:

• Police Reports

• Court Documents

• Active Restraining Order

• Other verifiable documentation that the applicant is the subject of threats

 Other:

• Any pertinent, verifiable documentation to support your reason for a CCW permit such as:

Business Licenses, Guard/Exposed cards, PI License, Contractors License, etc.

***Note: The items requested above are not intended to be an all-inclusive list. Additional documentation may be required for verification purposes throughout the application process.

MotoriousRacing 04-03-2015 4:47 PM

Livescan

Where did you go for LiveScan?