Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGSSA Range Cleanups (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Calguns Panoche Cleanup - Oct 17th, 2009 (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=221855)

Turbinator 09-13-2009 9:14 AM

Calguns Panoche Cleanup - Oct 17th, 2009

Hi everyone,

It's that time again! As promised, I am putting together this fall's Oct 17th 2009 Panoche Hills cleanup session.

Join me and several others doing volunteer work to keep OUR public lands clean and safe to use for all of us.

General game plan:
  • 10AM - arrive at front gate, drive in, assess first spot.. if majorly bad, set up and commence cleanup work. If not, then drive in and tackle another spot.
  • 12PM - lunch and recreation.
  • Whenever - final cleanup and depart for home.

Some general points you should be aware of:
  • The BLM has provided me with a sign in sheet for all volunteers, so please be prepared to sign your name with your address, phone #, and email address. For you paranoid folks, this is ONLY to be used by the BLM to show public interest in keeping our lands safe and clean. I've signed in prior, and nothing nefarious has been done.
  • I will be prepping name tags on the spot for you to wear, to encourage and help members meet other members. Pretty much like last time.
  • I am coordinating this event with the rangers, they may show up - I'll confirm this to be sure.
  • Tannerite is welcome, as last time.
  • If you are driving a non-off road type vehicle, proceed carefully in and around Panoche.. some of those potholes can be a real pain.
  • Pack your own lunch, and there may be another BBQ set up as we did last time. BroncoBob can confirm this.
  • You are responsible for your own supplies - plastic bags, tools, gloves, sunscreen, so please bring these to use. Same goes for shooting gear - eyes and ears are required.
  • I will be taking a lot of photos of the event - if you prefer not to show up in the photos, consider taking along a mask or just ask that your pictures not be shown on Calguns.
  • For those who have not yet been to Panoche, I will publish driving directions a bit later in the thread.

Please take a moment to RSVP ahead of time (this thread is fine - better for me to keep track as to who will be there). This will allow me to get a sense of how large our group is, for cleanup coordination purposes.

There will be a big focus on SAFETY first, FUN second. If you are planning to attend, please bear in mind that we will be running a safety conscious event and any unsafe behavior will be highly discouraged. Please, no illegally configured firearms, etc. This is not the place for you to be doing this nor do we want to hear about it.

Thanks all, and looking forward to this awesome trip.

Here's the attendee list so far (to be updated):

BroncoBob
sorensen440
sjgunguy24
nagorb
smp89
domokun
Acorn556
dmaverick +wife
doughboy334
evollep3

The above list represents positive replies as of 9/22. Some have said "ok" tentatively but I've marked that as a positive. If you cannot make it, please indicate as such and I'll remove your name from the list.

Turby

nagorb 09-13-2009 1:51 PM

As of right now I'm in but with school I wont know until the week before.

I hope I don't miss it this time, last time I had to go on a field trip to hollister, I Could almost smell the tannerite.

Rob454 09-13-2009 1:56 PM

Where is the clean up? if its not too far i can volunteer

nagorb 09-13-2009 1:58 PM

Near San Jose, far from OC.

BroncoBob 09-13-2009 4:00 PM

Turby, weather permitting count me in.

Turbinator 09-13-2009 4:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBob (Post 3057453)
Turby, weather permitting count me in.

Very nice - you get out to Panoche a lot, dontcha?

Good point - if the weather is extremely bad, we may not go. So, y'alls be forewarned ahead of time. Muddy conditions won't go well for a cleanup. Overcast, that's fine. I've been out there with some rain, hail actually.. it's not too bad. Downpour? I think we may pass.

Turby

BroncoBob 09-13-2009 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbinator (Post 3057517)
Very nice - you get out to Panoche a lot, dontcha?

Good point - if the weather is extremely bad, we may not go. So, y'alls be forewarned ahead of time. Muddy conditions won't go well for a cleanup. Overcast, that's fine. I've been out there with some rain, hail actually.. it's not too bad. Downpour? I think we may pass.

Turby

Every chance I get.

smp89 09-13-2009 5:44 PM

I'm in! The gate will be open by then correct? If so I'm doing an overnighter.

BroncoBob 09-13-2009 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smp89 (Post 3057893)
I'm in! The gate will be open by then correct? If so I'm doing an overnighter.

Yes gate will be open. Last time diginit spent the night.

sorensen440 09-13-2009 6:34 PM

If I don't have grapes I'm in for sure

Turbinator 09-13-2009 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorensen440 (Post 3058124)
If I don't have grapes I'm in for sure

Is that slang for something, or do you literally mean fruit? :D Kidding.

Turby

Turbinator 09-13-2009 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagorb (Post 3056913)

I hope I don't miss it this time, last time I had to go on a field trip to hollister, I Could almost smell the tannerite.

Excellent, hope your schedule stays open for it.

Turby

BroncoBob 09-13-2009 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagorb (Post 3056913)

Yeah we just love rookies who are hard on rakes.....lol

Turbinator 09-13-2009 8:58 PM

Oh yeah BroncoBob, you planning on bringing your BBQ thing again? Just in case some folks want to fire it up?

Turby

nagorb 09-13-2009 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBob (Post 3058816)
Yeah we just love rookies who are hard on rakes.....lol

In my defense the rake was already broken and someone decided to repair it with what looked like expanding foam. I'm absolutely sure duct tape would have worked.

domokun 09-13-2009 11:23 PM

I'll make plans to show up provided the work schedule doesn't get in the way.

BroncoBob 09-14-2009 3:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagorb (Post 3058964)
In my defense the rake was already broken and someone decided to repair it with what looked like expanding foam. I'm absolutely sure duct tape would have worked.

Yeah in Mike's defense the rake was a POS. Tried to repair it with some Gorilla Glue that works pretty good most of the time. I didn't have much faith in it lasting.

BroncoBob 09-14-2009 3:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbinator (Post 3058915)
Oh yeah BroncoBob, you planning on bringing your BBQ thing again? Just in case some folks want to fire it up?

Turby

Turby, that wasn't my BBQ thingy. I believe it was diginits.

nagorb 09-14-2009 3:45 AM

Are you just getting up or going to sleep?

Turbinator 09-14-2009 6:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBob (Post 3059766)
Turby, that wasn't my BBQ thingy. I believe it was diginits.

Sorry, my mistake! Well, Diginit, if you can make it.. let us know if the BBQ comes too :)

Turby

BroncoBob 09-14-2009 7:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagorb (Post 3059773)
Are you just getting up or going to sleep?

Hey, I'm already up at that time. Just waiting for my commute buddy.

Acorn556 09-14-2009 8:11 AM

I'f I'm still here I'll be in. Depends on a lot of things not completly in my control.

dmaverick 09-14-2009 11:25 AM

Count my wife and I in.

Turbinator 09-14-2009 12:24 PM

Guys, update from Monday 9/14 - here is some disturbing information from the BLM park rangers:

Quote:

As far as problems or issues in Panoche, there have been a few this year. Mostly, as usual, the endless garbage brought out to use for targets. We've hauled about 5 times what you bagged up last year since then. The other major issue is unauthorized access during the seasonal fire closure. Someone has repeatedly shot the gate hinges and locking mechanism down to slag and pitched the gate over the bank. I understand that they are probably frustrated with access during the summer, but that's not the way to deal with it.
With this type of barbaric behavior, we are looking at possibly losing another shooting site altogether! We need to band together to police this area ourselves and to ensure it stays open for all of us to use in a responsible manner.

I'll need help from everyone, lurkers and regulars alike, to help either stop or report dangerous or illegal activity taking place here at Panoche. With this type of stuff going on, we may not have a chance to continue utilizing this public land.

We'll inspect the condition of the gate when we get there on Oct 17th just to monitor, but it is a darn shame that people see a need to do this kind of thing.

Turby

BroncoBob 09-14-2009 4:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbinator (Post 3061163)
Guys, update from Monday 9/14 - here is some disturbing information from the BLM park rangers:

With this type of barbaric behavior, we are looking at possibly losing another shooting site altogether! We need to band together to police this area ourselves and to ensure it stays open for all of us to use in a responsible manner.

I'll need help from everyone, lurkers and regulars alike, to help either stop or report dangerous or illegal activity taking place here at Panoche. With this type of stuff going on, we may not have a chance to continue utilizing this public land.

We'll inspect the condition of the gate when we get there on Oct 17th just to monitor, but it is a darn shame that people see a need to do this kind of thing.

Turby

Good God! What the hell is going on down there? We've got to catch morons doing this and set them straight or turn their butts in. How about posting something down at the sign in station stating that anyone observed damaging or leaving trash will be reported? Hate to get to this point but, this is one of the last of the few places where we can shoot freely.

sorensen440 09-14-2009 4:37 PM

maybe a wildlife camera pointed at the gate ?

nagorb 09-14-2009 4:40 PM

I doubt anything we do will stop those people unless we can really make our presence known. I would love to do more but the 2hr drive makes it hard to get to often.

Any suggestions?

nagorb 09-14-2009 4:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorensen440 (Post 3062497)
maybe a wildlife camera pointed at the gate ?

Good idea. It would have to be well hidden

sorensen440 09-14-2009 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagorb (Post 3062519)
Good idea. It would have to be well hidden

yeah as well as monitored from time to time

nagorb 09-14-2009 4:43 PM

They could pay me to sit by the gate persuade people from abusing our playground.

nagorb 09-14-2009 4:44 PM

from what I heard the rangers rarely patrol there.

Turbinator 09-14-2009 8:19 PM

I'll see if I can make up some kind of weatherproof signage that says breaking open the lock and damaging federal property is a crime, illegal, and perpetrators will be prosecuted. I dunno. Anyone know what the penalty is for damaging federal property like that?

Darn shame - I'm hoping other people read this and can help spread the word that this is NOT acceptable behavior AT ALL.

Turby

Acorn556 09-15-2009 8:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbinator (Post 3063718)
I'll see if I can make up some kind of weatherproof signage that says breaking open the lock and damaging federal property is a crime, illegal, and perpetrators will be prosecuted. I dunno. Anyone know what the penalty is for damaging federal property like that?

Darn shame - I'm hoping other people read this and can help spread the word that this is NOT acceptable behavior AT ALL.

Turby

Laminate it.

If we see a BLM ranger this weekend we can ask them what the state code is for it. Usually signs with state codes look more official. Maybe find out what the fines are and put those on the sign

Something like:
Damaging federal property is a felony will earn hand your financial decisions over to the state, new roomates (all male), Free laundry, ocean views (in some cases) and free meals for the next 20 years

Turbinator 09-16-2009 4:56 PM

Nice idea on the sign but langauge more official than that is probably what is required here. Lamination, for sure.

Turby

Acorn556 09-19-2009 9:00 PM

Gate was completly broken this weekend. We actually saw some car drive from being back in there.

No ranger all day, much like last month, as expected. they might only make it out there once a month.

Myabe something like " Warning damaging gate is punishable by up to x months in jail and $xxx,xxx fine."

sorensen440 09-19-2009 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acorn556 (Post 3087971)
Gate was completly broken this weekend. We actually saw some car drive from being back in there.

No ranger all day, much like last month, as expected. they might only make it out there once a month.

Myabe something like " Warning damaging gate is punishable by up to x months in jail and $xxx,xxx fine."

Yeah It looked like someone hooked a chain to it and ripped the hinges off
It doesnt look repairable to me

nagorb 09-19-2009 9:14 PM

Any pics of it? I could weld something up to replace it, as long as it was ok with the rangers.

BroncoBob 09-19-2009 9:16 PM

This really sucks. Actions like this by a few morons will make it tough to keep this place open. I have to agree with Chris, the gate hinge system will have to be completely redone and that gate must weigh in excess of 300 pounds.

nagorb 09-19-2009 9:18 PM

Lets fix it.

sorensen440 09-19-2009 9:30 PM

I tried posting it here but it was WAAAAAY to big
So click this to see the gate
http://www.bumpfire.net/Panoche 2009/IMG_2719.JPG

http://www.bumpfire.net/Panoche 2009/IMG_2720.JPG

http://www.bumpfire.net/Panoche 2009/IMG_2721.JPG