Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Turner's Outdoorsman (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Another good experience at Turners (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=680952)

GM4spd 01-17-2013 3:30 AM

Another good experience at Turners

this time in Oxnard.Had never been there before as it is relatively new but
is very convenient for me in Ventura County. Went in to see about putting
down a deposit on a ATI STG 44 in 22LR.After getting my number--lo and
behold there is ONE staring me right in the face,I hadn't noticed it initially because it was beside a pink 22 long gun!I was very happy because
it had a nice DARK walnut stock which I prefer over the lighter colors.
Handled it and it is HEAVY but looks very nice as a replica and does shoot
22 ammo. Did my paperwork with nice young lady and will pick up in 10 days
it was a long wait (1 hour) as there were only 2 people behind the counter.
Pete

ham 01-17-2013 9:29 PM

Nice! those stg-44's look freakin sweet. recommend using atleast 40 grain .22 for blowback relilability. had a customer suggest the CCI Tactical & Blazer bulk packs worked best.

jsolor7 01-18-2013 6:37 AM

Original Stg 44 shot a shortenend 8mm Mauser round. Why anybody would make this in a 22lr is beyond me. How about .308?

Josh3239 01-18-2013 10:06 AM

The original STG was not a true 8mm Mauser. That is a full power rifle round, the Germans could the round down making the first intermediate cartridge, the 8mm Kurtz.

I would assume a .22LR rifle is a lot less of a headache (and probably cheaper) overall to produce (in Europe), to sell (worldwide), and import into the US. .22LR is an extremely common round and cheap to shoot, it is a round anyone of any age could really shot. Any store that sells ammo sells .22LR. The 8mm Kurtz is not common at all, and few other rifles if any shoot it. That would be like making a new rifle in .303 Brit or 30-40 Krag. Ya you can do it, but why use a practically dead round?

There was a company that made 5.56mm STGs. Those were cool, but too pricey. There was a company making an FG42, I think in 308. BA, but still too pricey.

1st2fight 01-18-2013 1:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsolor7 (Post 10243305)
Original Stg 44 shot a shortenend 8mm Mauser round. Why anybody would make this in a 22lr is beyond me. How about .308?

it's because if the liberal commie elitists succeeded at restricting our 2a rights, that's about all you can get...

D Day Dog 01-21-2013 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM4spd (Post 10232232)
this time in Oxnard.Had never been there before as it is relatively new but
is very convenient for me in Ventura County. Went in to see about putting
down a deposit on a ATI STG 44 in 22LR.After getting my number--lo and
behold there is ONE staring me right in the face,I hadn't noticed it initially because it was beside a pink 22 long gun!I was very happy because
it had a nice DARK walnut stock which I prefer over the lighter colors.
Handled it and it is HEAVY but looks very nice as a replica and does shoot
22 ammo. Did my paperwork with nice young lady and will pick up in 10 days
it was a long wait (1 hour) as there were only 2 people behind the counter.
Pete

I have one of these .22 lr STG44s and they are a blast to shoot. There have been few problems reported with them. However, one common issue is that you need to adjustment the rear sights almost all the way out to hit center at 50 yards. Some owners have reportedly "shaved down" the front sight (there is a lot there) to compensate for it. Mine shoots tight groups at 50 yards and is very fun to shoot. Just make sure you use hi velocity ammo through it as it feeds much better than regular .22 rounds.

Dog

D Day Dog 01-21-2013 2:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh3239 (Post 10245321)
The original STG was not a true 8mm Mauser. That is a full power rifle round, the Germans could the round down making the first intermediate cartridge, the 8mm Kurtz.

I would assume a .22LR rifle is a lot less of a headache (and probably cheaper) overall to produce (in Europe), to sell (worldwide), and import into the US. .22LR is an extremely common round and cheap to shoot, it is a round anyone of any age could really shot. Any store that sells ammo sells .22LR. The 8mm Kurtz is not common at all, and few other rifles if any shoot it. That would be like making a new rifle in .303 Brit or 30-40 Krag. Ya you can do it, but why use a practically dead round?

There was a company that made 5.56mm STGs. Those were cool, but too pricey. There was a company making an FG42, I think in 308. BA, but still too pricey.

The 8mm Kurz is a fine round. Much like an AK47. I like shooting them in my PTR44 (reproduction MP44). The Kurz ammo is still readily available and made by PPU in EUR. It's not terriby expensive at $12.50 per box of 20 (sometimes more or less) and is hard hitting. I reload mine to keep costs down and I can make them for around $8.00 a box of 20 now.

I also have one of the FG42s produced in the USA by SMG in Texas. Mine is an 8mm Mauser cal. like the original, but they are making them in .308 as well. These are extremely fun rifles to shoot (think BAR - but shorter). The action is violently fun. They are expensive, but when you're schooled enough and understand what it took to make them, the price is not all that bad at $4,995 a pc. Besides, one just sold at auction for over $6,000 - so they will likely just keep going up in price. If you get on the list for one, your price is still $4,995, regardless of what the ones ar auction sell for.

Dog