Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   The Appleseed Project (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Castro Valley August 18-19th (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=590991)

rckjeep 07-02-2012 10:37 PM

Castro Valley August 18-19th

My buddy and I signed up for the Saturday only class, we work Sundays. I'm stoked to try and get my Rifleman patch. I'll be using my 1980 10/22 with Tech Sights and GI sling. Ammo wise I'm going with either CCI Blazer or Federal Auto Match.

I also have a 795 can you switch guns mid day just for ****'s and giggles?

rconnerley 07-04-2012 9:25 AM

Jeep,

You can always change rifles, at any time during the shoot, if you want to. However, if you're gunning for a patch, and you can only come one day, you may want to run the same equipment all day so your body and mind don't have to adjust to a different rifle midway through the event. I would go ahead and bring your 795 as a back up and then you can make the call regarding changing things up on the spot. Have a great time!

PurplePeople 07-07-2012 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rconnerley (Post 8869935)
Jeep,

You can always change rifles, at any time during the shoot, if you want to. However, if you're gunning for a patch, and you can only come one day, you may want to run the same equipment all day so your body and mind don't have to adjust to a different rifle midway through the event. I would go ahead and bring your 795 as a back up and then you can make the call regarding changing things up on the spot. Have a great time!

+1

We dish out instruction fast enough that it's tough to keep up without the additional burden of worrying about which rifle you are running. Both the 10/22 and 795 are great guns for Appleseed. The 10/22 is maybe a bit more robust, but the 795 is great for those with smaller hands - the 10/22 has a fat stock.

rckjeep 07-20-2012 10:21 PM

I'm heading out in the am to test out the 795, since I had to replace the action. I'm going to also bring a 10/22 or two so I can get some more AQT practice. I guess it makes sense about not changing rifles unless you need to.

Some other time I'd like to try and get the patch with a bolt action. How common are they at Appleseeds?

as_rocketman 07-21-2012 12:12 PM

We see a boltie or two at every shoot. At the last Burro Canyon shoot, a bolt-gunner got the high score on the day (219). It can be done, but it adds some challenge, because you have to break position with each shot. This prevents you from keeping your NPOA -- something we describe in the class.

PurplePeople 07-21-2012 8:13 PM

There have been Rifleman scores shot at Chabot with bolties, .22LR and .223 as I recall. Not the easiest way to go, but a way to challenge yourself and see what you can squeeze out of your bolt gun. (The AQT is derived from an Army marksmanship course of fire that was originally shot with 1903 Springfields - a bolt gun.)

rckjeep 08-10-2012 10:06 PM

one week to go and I'm heading to the range one last time to practice. I'm only bringing one rifle this time. I think adding a few into the mix resulted in my poor scores. I'm hoping to get in some good scores to build my confidence before the 18th.

Which model Tech Sights are people using 100 or 200? I bought the 100's and I'm thinking I may change the front post to a KNS crosshair. Anyone have an opinion on them on Tech Sights?

rckjeep 08-11-2012 11:52 AM

well I am not shooting quite as good as I hoped I would. I shot 3 AQT's one of which I messed up stage 4 so my two scoring targets were 201 & 205. Close but not patch worthy. I'm going to change out my front post to the KNS Precision crosshair and the rear aperture to the model TS-200. I'm hoping this will give me the ability to see the 4th stage a little better. Since that is where I'm having the most issue. I'm also hoping that with the knowledge and skill I have along with what I will learn I can increase my score another consistent 10 points at least.

How much did you improve after your first Appleseed?