Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   San Bernardino (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352781)

Gray Peterson 10-14-2010 10:39 PM

San Bernardino

Read the last few pages of this thread to get an idea of where SB stands currently.

Update (2014 Jan 09): added a "thumbs up" symbol to thread title. Explanation for it at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=15600007

Update (2014 Feb 15): In the below interview, McMahon says that going to the bank at night and personal protection meet his GC standard (2:00 - 2:26). He also sounds like he believes SD = GC because of the 2nd A (3:55 - 4:50).

Application Submission Procedure

Quote:

Originally Posted by brekkke (Post 16583236)
I had the same problem with mine and ended up printing and calling, left a voicemail and they called the next day to schedule it. But between me leaving the voicemail and them calling the next day, I was able to submit by using Acrobat reader directly.

1) Save the PDF file to your hard drive (won't save any data),
2) open the hard drive copy in Acrobat reader,
3) fill it out, hit submit,
4) it saves an XML file with the data only to the hard drive and opens your Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. (won't work in webmail as posted by Cokebottle.)
5) Attach that unaltered XML data file to the email and send.

It's an unnecessarily complicated process that only works if you are computer savvy. Wish they'd let me fix their file and process. There is no reason that file can't be data "saveable" once it hits the hard drive.

MrBrent 10-18-2010 6:10 PM

First Post for San Bernardino County

I guess I will start this off. I received a CCW a little over a year ago in this county. I am very grateful that it is possible but I have a few issues I would like changed that come to mind. First they do issue for personal protection as a GC which is a good thing. Recently they have reduced their staff of BI's down to one and are starting to back up again on applicants so it is a long process. My time line was end of February to early August to get my permit. Now for things I would like to see changed in no particular order.
1. Fees are high. Total was about $250.00
2. You need 7 references. Three letters written and 4 that will be contacted with questionnaires. This seems excessive.
3. You are limited to only 3 guns on your permit and are charged a fee to change if you don't do it during a renewal.
4. I don't like the fact that they contact your employer.
5. I don't like the fact that they disclose to your neighbors that you are applying for a ccw when doing the neighborhood check.

This is what comes to mind tonight.
I do want to say that the people we deal with at the Sheriff's office are awesome. Very professional and easy to work with.

Thanks
Calguns for all you do:D

winnre 10-19-2010 9:22 AM

1. If you cannot afford the fees you cannot afford the gun.
2. I had no problem with references. You need more friends. :>
3. I'd like to see them approve by caliber.
4. My employer is weirding out on me now since they were contacted.
5. My neighbors answer the doors with guns.

1_Grendel 10-19-2010 11:18 AM

Getting a CCW in San Bernardino is not as easy as our neighbor Arizona but I found it was not all that difficult to jump through all their hoops. :rolleyes:
Took less than a year to get my CCW. I like it better than American Express I don’t go anywhere without it now.:D

AndrewMendez 10-19-2010 11:32 AM

MrBrent,
1.) The max a County can charge by law is $100.00, but don't expect a refund.
2.) Illegal, will be taken care of
3.) They can not limit the amount of guns 1 can carry. Did it give you the option to add an addt sheet of paper?
4.) and 5.) scratching my head on this one. I will look into it though.

Knauga 10-19-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnre (Post 5152234)

1. It is besides the point. While the fee isn't excessive by California standards, it is too high to charge for something as basic as self defense.

2. I didn't have problems with references either, but I do have a problem with invading my privacy. I don't want anybody knowing my business unless I bring it up with them.

3. I would like to see them issue a license for me to carry concealed, and keep out of the minutiae of the type and caliber of handgun I do carry.

4. I had to threaten my boss with taking him to HR if he continued in his notion to include documentation in my personnel file about my having a CCW. HR and corp security finally told him that it was none of his business and anything he was thinking of doing as far as documentation was wrong.

5. My neighbors don't need to know whether or not I have a CCW, just like *I* don't need to know whether or not my neighbors have a ccw. For the record, they never did a neighborhood check with me, they were too backed up.

The process in this state (this county) is too invasive and it is getting too restrictive. The whole process ought to surround whether or not my prints came back clean and that I am not a subject in an active investigation, period.

The fee for the license should be the bare minimum to run my prints and issue the license (materials).

1_Grendel 10-19-2010 1:13 PM

I don’t know about every background investigator but the one I had specifically told me that the officer is not to disclose that you are trying to acquire a CCW. The questioning of your neighbors is to find out what kind of person you are. I was told that neighbors seem to know much more than one would think. If a neighbor answers a hypothetical questions such as “have you ever seen (name here) angry, upset,? What did (name here) do? Do you see (name here) drink?”
I was told that the investigator would tell my boss and neighbors that they were only doing a background investigation and not divulge the why. I know others may have completely different experiences; this is the way mine went down.
I chose to tell my boss what I was doing I told my neighbors that it was a background check for work; I have to visit different government building.

I would like this process to be like Arizona but until the law gets changed I understand why counties such as San Bernardino do what they do in an attempt to satisfy the law (as it is currently understood & enforced in this state.)

MrBrent 10-19-2010 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANDREWMENDEZ (Post 5153006)
MrBrent,
1.) The max a County can charge by law is $100.00, but don't expect a refund.
2.) Illegal, will be taken care of
3.) They can not limit the amount of guns 1 can carry. Did it give you the option to add an addt sheet of paper?
4.) and 5.) scratching my head on this one. I will look into it though.

The fees I paid were 3 cashiers checks. One for $112.00 the second for $110.00 and the third was for $30.00 for the Concealed weapons course. I don't remember which of the first two went to the person at the Live Scan window.

As far as the references and letters go I didn't have any problems once I determined who I wanted to ask to do this for me. It cost me several lunches as I took several of them to lunch to discuss and let them know how important this was to me and it must be kept confidential. I still think 7 references is extreme.

My neighbor was told I was applying for a CCW and she directly asked me about carrying a gun the next day so they did not use general questions in my case.
Lastly my employer received a very basic questionnaire (four or five questions if I remember correctly) and HR called me into her office and she asked a few questions. The letter specifically stated I was applying for a CCW no question about it. Luck for me she had just moved here from TX and it didn't seem to phase her at all. It has never been mentioned again at the office.

Southwest Chuck 10-20-2010 9:46 AM

What if you're self employed as I am. Do they interview me twice? :D

Thunderhawk 10-21-2010 6:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnre (Post 5152234)

1. That is a rather arrogant way to look at self defence. So you figure the poor don't need to protect themselves?

2. Seven is rather excessive. The fewer people knowing your business, especially for CCW, the better.

3. Approval by caliber is better than a 3 gun limit.

4. Some employers freak out over guns and CCW. It is none of their business. All they should be told is that it is a background check.

5. What if you have a very "anti-gun" neighbor? Maybe you need a better neighborhood? ;- )

I've had my CCW for almost 4 years. The renewal process is much better now, but the initial process for new CCW applications needs to be streamlined and made more affordable so more folks can carry.

vampLer 10-21-2010 4:16 PM

5. What if your neighbors are the reason you want a CCW... ;)

Noah3683 10-21-2010 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampLer (Post 5166726)
5. What if your neighbors are the reason you want a CCW... ;)

^This. Directly to each side of me, they are cool. 2-3 doors each direction = about 7-8 punks divided among 3 homes + their friends.

Cokebottle 10-21-2010 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah3683 (Post 5167742)
^This. Directly to each side of me, they are cool. 2-3 doors each direction = about 7-8 punks divided among 3 homes + their friends.

Similar situation here.
The guy next to me is a firefighter and has watched me camo the AR in the back yard.
The guy next to him is a fellow 03/COE.
3 of the 4 in the building across from me, I would prefer that they don't know that there are any guns in the house.
Same goes for around 30 of the 44 units in my complex.

The neighborhood check and personal references are the two things that have stalled me from applying.

1_Grendel 10-22-2010 6:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 5168633)
Similar situation here.
The guy next to me is a firefighter and has watched me camo the AR in the back yard.
The guy next to him is a fellow 03/COE.
3 of the 4 in the building across from me, I would prefer that they don't know that there are any guns in the house.
Same goes for around 30 of the 44 units in my complex.

The neighborhood check and personal references are the two things that have stalled me from applying.

Tell your background investigator your concerns. Don’t let some a** in your neighborhood detour you from getting a CCW.
I told my investigator about everyone I knew in my neighborhood. The good and bad people, the ones that seemed to have the PD at the house monthly. I was in my interview for a good 1.5 hours talking with the investigator. Him asking me questions and me asking him questions; it was a very good experience. You are not the only one who is concerned about their neighbors. I know this because when I made my request that I wished the neighbors did not know about my CCW I was reassured that discretion would be used. To this day my neighbors do not know I have a CCW and I plan on keeping it that way.
Apply, go through the process, don’t let any issue stop you. For almost 9 years I had excuses why I did not get my CCW and I still kick myself for not doing it sooner. Getting that envelop in the mail was a very exciting day I equate it to when one receives a drivers license or buys theirs first house. Running out to Wally World and getting some nachos is an experience everyone should have. Being able to walk down the street in front of the Orange County Sheriff department, while carrying has a great FU feeling that all in this area should feel.
It really sucks for many in this state that they can not get a CCW we are lucky enough to be in a county were it is fairly easy (in Ca. terms) to get the CCW. In a way I feel a very good reason for getting a CCW is like the reason I joined the military. I owe it to my country to serve my time, in the same way I should demonstrate my 2A right within this screwed up state and get a CCW.
In general the CCW community is full of great helpful people, start the process and ask questions; you will be glad you did.
I would like to politely tell everyone to get off their lazy a** and apply, go through the process and get your CCW. :D Get in line now before the line gets longer.

MrBrent 10-22-2010 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1_Grendel (Post 5169616)
Tell your background investigator your concerns. Don’t let some a** in your neighborhood detour you from getting a CCW.
I told my investigator about everyone I knew in my neighborhood. The good and bad people, the ones that seemed to have the PD at the house monthly. I was in my interview for a good 1.5 hours talking with the investigator. Him asking me questions and me asking him questions; it was a very good experience. You are not the only one who is concerned about their neighbors. I know this because when I made my request that I wished the neighbors did not know about my CCW I was reassured that discretion would be used. To this day my neighbors do not know I have a CCW and I plan on keeping it that way.
Apply, go through the process, don’t let any issue stop you. For almost 9 years I had excuses why I did not get my CCW and I still kick myself for not doing it sooner. Getting that envelop in the mail was a very exciting day I equate it to when one receives a drivers license or buys theirs first house. Running out to Wally World and getting some nachos is an experience everyone should have. Being able to walk down the street in front of the Orange County Sheriff department, while carrying has a great FU feeling that all in this area should feel.
It really sucks for many in this state that they can not get a CCW we are lucky enough to be in a county were it is fairly easy (in Ca. terms) to get the CCW. In a way I feel a very good reason for getting a CCW is like the reason I joined the military. I owe it to my country to serve my time, in the same way I should demonstrate my 2A right within this screwed up state and get a CCW.
In general the CCW community is full of great helpful people, start the process and ask questions; you will be glad you did.
I would like to politely tell everyone to get off their lazy a** and apply, go through the process and get your CCW. :D Get in line now before the line gets longer.

+1 Well said Grendel!!

Untamed1972 10-25-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1_Grendel (Post 5169616)

but the point being, why should the process for a CCW be anymore invasive then it is get a drivers license? And I concur with the sentiments stated by others here about the invasivness of the process. But perhaps as more Dept's start issuing they will see that such extensive investigating is not needed and is not cost effective.

NVR2L8 10-26-2010 2:09 PM

So any news regarding the policy guidelines for getting a CCW in San Bernardino County? I can't apply until after 12/21/10 as per the one year residence requirement...:mad:...but I'm especially curious as to the legality of the one year residency thing as well as needing three character reference letters in addition to four additional personal references.

So is there an upcoming initiative to challenge any or all of those requirements?

wildhawker 10-26-2010 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NVR2L8 (Post 5192991)
So is there an upcoming initiative to challenge any or all of those requirements?

Yes, this very initiative will do just that.

Wherryj 11-12-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knauga (Post 5153314)
1. It is besides the point. While the fee isn't excessive by California standards, it is too high to charge for something as basic as self defense.
I agree. Taxing a Constitutional right seems rather unconstitutional for lack of a better term.
2. I didn't have problems with references either, but I do have a problem with invading my privacy. I don't want anybody knowing my business unless I bring it up with them.
I also agree. It invades one's privacy, and what is it supposed to do? As a physician I need references from other physicians who have been certified by the hospital and are thus "trusted" sources of info. If you are a dirtbag, you can probably get 7 other dirtbags to write you a reference. You could also be a smooth operating dirtbag who could get the mayors of 7 local cities to write you a reference. I don't see what this accomplishes.
3. I would like to see them issue a license for me to carry concealed, and keep out of the minutiae of the type and caliber of handgun I do carry.
Again, I have to agree. It is a Constitutional right. The Constitition didn't specify caliber of "arm" that one has the "right to bear".
4. I had to threaten my boss with taking him to HR if he continued in his notion to include documentation in my personnel file about my having a CCW. HR and corp security finally told him that it was none of his business and anything he was thinking of doing as far as documentation was wrong.
You are lucky that your company had a reasonable HR and security department. If you hadn't, you might be tasked with finding a lawyer about that wrongful termination, all because you chose to exercise a Constitional right?
5. My neighbors don't need to know whether or not I have a CCW, just like *I* don't need to know whether or not my neighbors have a ccw. For the record, they never did a neighborhood check with me, they were too backed up.
I think that it makes as much sense to let your neighbors know about your firearm as it does to inform me every time they purchase an otherwise valuable trinket. We wouldn't want anyone hiding stuff that might be nice to steal now, would we? What right do my neighbors have to know what I own? Have they put in their references that prove that they aren't thieves?
The process in this state (this county) is too invasive and it is getting too restrictive. The whole process ought to surround whether or not my prints came back clean and that I am not a subject in an active investigation, period.

The fee for the license should be the bare minimum to run my prints and issue the license (materials).

I agree with all of your points. It may not seem overly onerous, but these are unreasonable restrictions.

Wherryj 11-12-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Untamed1972 (Post 5186235)
but the point being, why should the process for a CCW be anymore invasive then it is get a drivers license? And I concur with the sentiments stated by others here about the invasivness of the process. But perhaps as more Dept's start issuing they will see that such extensive investigating is not needed and is not cost effective.

This is a good point. Driving is a PRIVILEDGE, yet it takes less effort to get a driver's license than a "protection license". It is less protected by the Constitution and also responsible for far more death and disability than CCW. Somehow, it is more "protected" by this state.

For the anti's who state that CCW is dangerous, I challenge them to find an article about a wrongful death related to CCW in any state. I BET that I can find a more recent traffic death.

ivsamhell 01-16-2011 11:13 AM

Can we expect fees to come down ever? I spent less than $100 total to get a Utah permit.....

wildhawker 01-16-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivsamhell (Post 5629218)
Can we expect fees to come down ever? I spent less than $100 total to get a Utah permit.....

At or below the statutory caps on fees? Yes. (Some counties overcharge, and we're dealing with those in our Initiative).

Further reductions (and waivers/subsidies for low-income applicants) will be a case or two after we get carry rights acknowledged at USSC.

macentyre 01-23-2011 1:28 AM

got mine into SBCo and it's been since October....was told by the investigator that I passed and it just needed a signature....that was December 3rd. Guess they are taking their sweet time!

Steveo8 02-15-2011 5:41 AM

Any thing happening in San Bernardino as far as reference letters and high fees?

erejota 02-21-2011 2:48 PM

Does the Ontario P.D. issue permits?

It is my understanding that I have to apply to Ontario P.D. first and get a denial letter from them,then apply with S.B.S.O.
Has anybody here done this?
How long did it take to get the denial letter?
Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ross

wildhawker 02-21-2011 4:48 PM

You do not have to pre-apply to any other licensing authority.

-Brandon

Steveo8 03-09-2011 7:52 AM

Has anybody heard that the SO is having applicants fill out an additional questionnaire of about a 100 questions at the interview?

winnre 03-09-2011 12:56 PM

I was asked for more stuff at the interview but a hundred questions? What more could they want to know?

I did have to fill out a short form, I think it was yellow. It asks stuff like have you been arrested, was is dismissed, and other minutia requests. Nothing they could not finds out on their own!

MrBrent 03-12-2011 7:31 PM

It's not a hundred questions. It may seem like it. Don't sweat it and be completely honest and you will be fine.

ivsamhell 03-13-2011 4:59 PM

its illegal for them to ask about arrests that did not lead to conviction.......

winnre 03-14-2011 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivsamhell (Post 5996013)
its illegal for them to ask about arrests that did not lead to conviction.......

They;re going to know when they run your numbers anyway. Chalk this one up to honesty. Will you tell them what they already know?

PsychGuy274 03-29-2011 11:31 AM

I need someone who's recently gone through the San Bernardino County CCW application process to PM me. I have a few questions.

I prefer someone who's gone through it within the last year or so, but the more recent the better. Whether or not your received a CCW is irrelevant. You will be kept 100% anonymous and I will divulge NO personal information.

All I need is for you to PM me with your name, phone number and a good time to contact you.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 6099687)
Just wanted to let everyone know that PsychGuy is working with CGF on this FYI.

-Brandon

Donny1 03-29-2011 10:35 PM

Tagged

Interested in applying but the 7 references and one year residency are putting me off. Any updates appreciated.

G1500 03-29-2011 11:00 PM

Can we use other CGN members in SBC who have CCWs as our 7 references?

:D

PsychGuy274 03-30-2011 9:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donny1 (Post 6104287)
Tagged

Interested in applying but the 7 references and one year residency are putting me off. Any updates appreciated.

Don't worry about it. I'm working on it right now, but I need info from people who already have applied. If you know of any, please PM me their contact info if they're OK with that.

The Shadow 03-30-2011 9:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivsamhell (Post 5996013)

I think it should go deeper than that. Why should a person be denied if they're not a prohibited person ? Would a conviction for carrying concealed without a permission slip be grounds for denial ? It's no worse than driving without a drivers license, and I don't think people would be denied for that ?

PsychGuy274 03-30-2011 9:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shadow (Post 6105973)
I think it should go deeper than that. Why should a person be denied if they're not a prohibited person ? Would a conviction for carrying concealed without a permission slip be grounds for denial ? It's no worse than driving without a drivers license, and I don't think people would be denied for that ?

That's what we have to deal with living in a May (read:won't) Issue state.

Cokebottle 03-30-2011 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donny1 (Post 6104287)
Tagged

Ditto.
7 references, neighborhood check (they say they are discreet... how discreet is a cop asking questions about you?), and the employer conversation.
While I don't care about my immediate supervisor, if they move up the chain to the Director of Public Works it could be uncomfortable.

The Shadow 04-07-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychGuy274 (Post 6106017)
That's what we have to deal with living in a May (read:won't) Issue state.

That's true, but San Bernardino has this reputation of being shall issue, but they put these barriers in front of people and expect applicants to jump through ridiculous hoops that are in fact illegal.

You can't get a permit unless you live in the county for at least one year.

You have to get three letters of reference from friends.

You have to give four names that they can interview.

I'll just bet that you probably don't stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting one if you've been convicted of CCWing without a permission slip.

They have only one background investigator that interviews you to see if you measure up, and they still decide if you meet their standards of good cause and good moral character.

And now I understand that they have ONE HUNDRED QUESTIONS that you must answer before they interview you. I can only imagine how a person would be treated if they leave something out as a matter of over sight and not because the applicant was attempting to deceive.

If you can get through the Labyrinth of tasks that you must perform in the SBSO Dog and Pony show, and you agree to the Sheriff's best imitation of the Ten Commandments as he attempts to mimic God, and bestows his mercy and grace on you as he places his seal on you, then great, I'm happy for you. But from where I stand, he's not much better than others.

PsychGuy274 04-08-2011 1:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shadow (Post 6161086)
That's true, but San Bernardino has this reputation of being shall issue, but they put these barriers in front of people and expect applicants to jump through ridiculous hoops that are in fact illegal.

You can't get a permit unless you live in the county for at least one year.

You have to get three letters of reference from friends.

You have to give four names that they can interview.

I'll just bet that you probably don't stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting one if you've been convicted of CCWing without a permission slip.

They have only one background investigator that interviews you to see if you measure up, and they still decide if you meet their standards of good cause and good moral character.

And now I understand that they have ONE HUNDRED QUESTIONS that you must answer before they interview you. I can only imagine how a person would be treated if they leave something out as a matter of over sight and not because the applicant was attempting to deceive.

If you can get through the Labyrinth of tasks that you must perform in the SBSO Dog and Pony show, and you agree to the Sheriff's best imitation of the Ten Commandments as he attempts to mimic God, and bestows his mercy and grace on you as he places his seal on you, then great, I'm happy for you. But from where I stand, he's not much better than others.

I agree completely. I'll have updates on SBSD soon.