Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Survival and Preparations (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=297)
-   -   CERT training- via your fire department: Triage, first aid, was and more (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1366893)

hermosabeach 08-14-2017 1:20 PM

CERT training- via your fire department: Triage, first aid, was and more

Both a question and a cross post for an upcoming class....

Years back I took the CERT program from Redondo after being pestered by my assistant to take the program.

Great life saving skills taught to you by firefighter Paramedics.
The program is an amazing value... so many hours of training for a very low $$$ amount....

The C.E.R.T. concept is based on increasing disaster preparedness and awareness within the community by having a core group of trained individuals capable of assisting themselves, their family and their neighbors in the event of a catastrophic disaster.

Although Fire and Police emergency service personnel are the best trained and equipped to handle disasters, they will not be able to help everyone in post disaster response and recovery. You can make the difference by using the training you will receive to save lives and protect property. Are you ready?

A team of Redondo Beach firefighter instructors provide the training and will cover topics including disaster preparedness, CPR & First Aid, disaster medical operations, damage assessment, extinguisher use, light search and rescue, disaster psychology & team organization.

Upon successfully completing the training, you could be registered as a disaster service worker for the City of Redondo Beach. Registered volunteers are required to participate in future disaster preparedness training activities to maintain their volunteer status.

The fee is $40.00 per person for Redondo Beach residents, $100.00 per person for non-residents. The fee includes a designated C.E.R.T. hard hat, CPR & First Aid certification, photo identification card, training manual and graduation certificates.

http://www.redondo.org/depts/fire/cert_academy.asp

If you are a cert grad- where did you take tour training and what do you think of the program???

Librarian 08-14-2017 1:59 PM

I am. Concord, through PD.

Pretty useful.

hermosabeach 08-14-2017 5:33 PM

I was shocked that the fire department is now teaching the use of tourniquets and clotting agent gauze....

The FD / CERT/ FEMA did not allow the discussion of tools of war....

Now that the Boston Marathon attack happened and people used tourniquets to save lives, they have reevaluated what the military has used....

If you can't stop the bleeding with direct pressure-
If you have more victims than trained responders
If you need to have a victim hold pressure on their own wound and they might not have the strength, leverage or remaining blood to do so,

Well the blood clotting agents and tourniquets have a place....

I am amazed that people can get 100 or so hour of training, CPR, first Aid, aed training, live trauma drills for $40

It is crazy value..... and great training

felixthecat1 08-14-2017 7:44 PM

My CERT training was through Downey Fire Department, no cost.

mitch1 08-14-2017 9:05 PM

Cert thru valley center Fire department, tert thru Rincon Fire department.
Tert is tribal emergency response training.
Both no cost

Sig so sour of ca 08-14-2017 9:40 PM

I did the manhattan beach cert. There were some typical manhattan beach douche canoes there but I feel the class was totally worth the investment.

Got some great first aid training, learned some new tricks, found out my gas shut off was frozen and that the gas company changes them for free, and got a cool had hat to pay dress up with the wife.

I would highly recommend joining.

WarBoyNux 08-14-2017 9:48 PM

CERT through FD, no cost. Red Cross First Aid/CPR also through CERT, no cost. Amateur Radio license through CERT, zero for the 8 week class, $5 for the test.

mofugly13 08-16-2017 9:24 AM

I am NERT (what they call CERT training in San Francisco) trained through SFFD. Enjoyed the classes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mr10 08-20-2017 6:33 PM

Foster city here, fees was covered by my work and they also paid for my Ham radio training.

The class was great! They also provided some gear to start your emergency kit.

hermosabeach 10-03-2017 12:04 PM

In the wake of Vegas BUMP

VictorFranko 10-03-2017 12:17 PM

Yes, CERT grad.
The City of Camarillo had openings for their CERT program, paid for by the City 100%.
I don't live in Camarillo but do live in the county and got lucky and wormed my way in.
When the CERT program was nearing the end, they offered Red Cross first aid, CPR and AED training, again for free!

Good training, recommended.

as_rocketman 10-03-2017 6:31 PM

CERT trained

We're using it at work as the foundation/introduction to disaster response in general. After that class we diversify -- first aid, CPR / AED, then ALS, wildland fire suppression, USAR, and ICS (Command) plus a couple of other specialties.

I found it useful. However it is focused on mascal events. For instance, CERTs won't go into CPR at all, because CPR ties down more resources than you're going to want to expend in a large-scale disaster... so you will want to fill in those blanks if you haven't already. We didn't talk about Quick-Clot but tourniquet technique was emphasized...

Like any class, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. We did lots of live exercises, and those were by far the most useful.

New class starting in January, some of us will be teaching.

OCXD 10-15-2017 5:40 AM

I did it through Irvine. No cost. Good foundation if you havnt had any training before.

Lucky Scott 10-15-2017 6:35 PM

I am looking for an upcoming training class. I keep finding classes that just ended. Anybody know any coming up soon?

Toyman321 10-25-2017 10:05 PM

CERT trained by Simi Valley. 100% paid for. I had a blast and picked up a lot of useful information. I try to make it out to the refreshers when I have the chance.

Dutch3 10-26-2017 4:35 PM

There doesn't seem to be any CERT training available around here. I did take a CPR and AED class courtesy of my employer back in September.

Check out how Chico State University has bastardized CERT to mean, 'Campus Emergency Response Team', offering the training only to Univeristy staff and faculty. https://www.csuchico.edu/emergencyprep/cert.shtml

Disgusting. I wonder if that is even legal.

BigFatGuy 10-27-2017 8:28 AM

This is fascinating, and I had no idea such a thing existed. Thanks!

I have to admit, I'm a bit leery of being on "a government list"... but I may overlook that for this very good cause.