Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Calguns Outreach - Q&A Town Hall Meetings Coming to a City Near You! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=212471)

wildhawker 08-13-2009 9:35 PM

Calguns Outreach - Q&A Town Hall Meetings Coming to a City Near You!

In light of the substantial number of emails and PMs from Calgunners expressing interest in volunteering and the upcoming wave of outreach efforts, I'm going to make a tour of the state in the upcoming weeks to hold small "town hall" gatherings where we can meet each other, discuss goals, brainstorm and hopefully answer some of your questions as relate to these efforts.

To gauge where our limited resources and time could be best utilized, please take part in the poll and let us know if this is something that you feel would benefit you and others you know who are or may be involved. We're also looking for venues, so let us know if you know of anything that would work.

Your consideration is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to visiting with you soon!

-Brandon

7x57 08-13-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 2919247)
'm going to make a tour of the state in the upcoming weeks to hold small "town hall" gatherings....

Now you've done it. Gotta start making protest signs and crib sheets of protest chants right away. :43:

Or should we handle it differently than when our representatives tell us it's treason to question them? ;)

You know, the crib sheet is a good idea. If only the Town Hall people were that organized. I think the other side is....

Wait. Weren't we talking about Calguns or something? :p

7x57

dantodd 08-13-2009 10:09 PM

Maybe Chris Matthews will interview people who OC to these town gall meetings....

7x57 08-13-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantodd (Post 2919402)
Maybe Chris Matthews will interview people who OC to these town gall meetings....

Hey, great idea. Can we have them out in the sticks so we can all LOC while we meet?

7x57

dantodd 08-13-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7x57 (Post 2919420)
Hey, great idea. Can we have them out in the sticks so we can all LOC while we meet?

7x57

Yeah, like Brandon's job isn't hard enough! Please find LOC friendly locations in LA, Orange and San Mateo Counties.

POLICESTATE 08-13-2009 10:22 PM

Maybe instead of UOC of real firearms we have our holsters with voter registration cards stuffed in them. Maybe even folded into the shape of a handgun!

dantodd 08-13-2009 10:28 PM

Sorry for completely derailing your thread Brandon. I'm in a bit of a spry mood tonight.

I will be happy to attend your Peninsula Town Hall and if you need logistical help on any of the others in this area let me know, I here to help.

7x57 08-13-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantodd (Post 2919442)
Yeah, like Brandon's job isn't hard enough! Please find LOC friendly locations in LA, Orange and San Mateo Counties.

Private range at Burro. :D

We can not only LOC, we can LOC while BBQing behind the firing line. ;)

7x57

ivanimal 08-13-2009 10:48 PM

I am available for most of these Brandon.

wildhawker 08-13-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7x57 (Post 2919568)
Private range at Burro. :D

We can not only LOC, we can LOC while BBQing behind the firing line. ;)

7x57

This would be ideal, actually. Would this be convenient enough for LA and IE people to combine into a Shoot-n-Q style event? Where would this put the OC (besides on Fox)?

jdberger 08-13-2009 11:02 PM

I could be available for most of them, too.

maybe, if it's ok with SWMBO.

East Bay could be held at my house, assuming less than 50 people.

7x57 08-13-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 2919597)
This would be ideal, actually. Would this be convenient enough for LA and IE people to combine into a Shoot-n-Q style event?

Burro and Angeles are the two closest outdoor ranges to LA. IE has at least another choice or two but I don't think they are radically more convenient than Burro. So if it becomes a Shoot-n-Q, Burro would be the best place to be. They're also easy about private range rentals and will pretty much let you do whatever you want.

Quote:

Where would this put the OC (besides on Fox)?
I don't think they have an outdoor range closer either, given that I know an OC trainer who often uses Burro. LA basin seems to be an unfriendly place for outdoor ranges. It might be feasible to combine all three--but that would involve plenty of driving. The question is whether a shoot-n-Q will attract enough people to compensate for the driving. If so, this is the way to go.

7x57

wildhawker 08-13-2009 11:52 PM

Whatever we do, we want to make sure it's accessible to the (current and future) volunteers and coordinators. That may mean a few stops on a road trip, which I'm ok with.

microstencil 08-14-2009 5:19 AM

Let me know when you are ready for San Diego. I have an office we can use depending on the size of the group. We can also BBQ and I don't care if anyone UOC as I will be CCW myself. There is an indoor range not to far away and I can see if we can have a shoot out after the meeting.

gcrtkd 08-14-2009 5:42 AM

I feel a thrill going up my leg.

wildhawker 08-14-2009 6:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microstencil (Post 2920028)
Let me know when you are ready for San Diego. I have an office we can use depending on the size of the group. We can also BBQ and I don't care if anyone UOC as I will be CCW myself. There is an indoor range not to far away and I can see if we can have a shoot out after the meeting.

Depending on how the meeting goes, maybe we should have the shootout before. :p

This would be fantastic Gary, thanks for once again stepping up and taking the lead.

SeanCasey 08-14-2009 6:54 AM

I like the Burro Canyn Shoot-n-Q idea!

jdberger 08-14-2009 6:54 AM

The San Leandro Davis Street range is also just a few minutes from my house.

vladbutsky 08-14-2009 7:34 AM

I'm available for San Jose/SF bay area.
I tried to contact my representatives and find theis palns for townhall meetings but no luck so far. I guess theay are scared to meet with people now :43:

Does anyone know the schedule for the Bay Area?

7x57 08-14-2009 8:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 2919809)
Whatever we do, we want to make sure it's accessible to the (current and future) volunteers and coordinators. That may mean a few stops on a road trip, which I'm ok with.

You could do the shoot-n-Q and then have another meeting at some Southerly location for those who don't want to drive North. My guess is that for Burro it doesn't matter which county they're in but rather how far North or South they are. Maybe somewhere around Long Beach would split the difference for South LA county and OC?

7x57

CHS 08-14-2009 8:43 AM

I'm in OC and Burro is still a good place for me. I should be able to make the time for something like this :)

MrClamperSir 08-14-2009 8:45 AM

Let me know the whens and wheres. East Bay or Chico.

Davidoff 08-14-2009 9:06 AM

If there is a meeting anywhere between the East Bay to Sacramento I'll be there.

7x57 08-14-2009 9:26 AM

Wildhawker,

What is the timeframe for this? I might be willing to be responsible for getting the range, if others organize the food and such.

7x57

curtisfong 08-14-2009 9:26 AM

I'm in as long as it is 2A centric. I am uninterested in "outreach" in any other politics.

FastFinger 08-14-2009 10:22 AM

Definitely interested in attending a Los Angeles area meeting.

However in these politically charged times I think it's best we keep details about the meetings quiet and on a need to know basis. We don't want a bunch of anti protesters showing up - that would force us to break out the CalGuns tactical Anti Anti Dispersal Vehicle. And with gas prices being what they are that could break the bank...

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8788/riotcar5.jpg

radioburning 08-14-2009 10:27 AM

If I'm not on a job, I can probably bring a couple tables and pop-ups to Angeles or Burro.

wildhawker 08-14-2009 10:39 AM

Curtis, this is RKBA-specific.

7x57, I'd like to get a feel for where/how many locations and plan from there, but I'm thinking a kickoff in 2-3 weeks.

Fred, email me a draft secret handshake and a day rate on the anti anti rig rental :D

curtisfong 08-14-2009 10:48 AM

Sounds good to me. Angeles is the closest range, but I'm willing to go to Burro.

Kestryll 08-14-2009 11:06 AM

I believe Angeles has a private range that can be rented out called Eagles Nest and I suspect Burro has private areas as well.

Angeles is closer to me but Burro is doable as well.
Let's find out some prices for rental and such and see what's going to work out best for as many as possible.

Depending on when and where I may be able to make a few of the So Cal meetings.
Don't forget the Ventura County area, I think we have a fair amount of members from there as well.

What is your idea on time frame and scheduling Brandon?

CapS 08-14-2009 11:24 AM

Count me in on the Peninsula or SF*, Brandon.
And thank you very much.
/Cap

*what was I thinking?

7x57 08-14-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestryll (Post 2921240)
I believe Angeles has a private range that can be rented out called Eagles Nest and I suspect Burro has private areas as well.

Burro has plenty of private ranges, and pretty much lets you do what you want. I suspect they don't allow glass (or at least I hope so), but I've shot at fruit, old helium tanks, clay pigeons, bowling pins, and the like. I think as long as you clean up your mess, it's fine.

I've never been on the Angeles private range, but there must be a reason for the popularity of Burro's ranges. I would guess you'd pay more for the ability to do less.

Of course, if I made some phone calls I could quit speculating. :D

7x57

wildhawker 08-14-2009 11:52 AM

If we can nail down the locations, here's my first stab at an aggressive schedule for SoCal:

8/28/09 (morning) Fly into San Diego, (afternoon) SD/So. OC meeting, drive to LA area
8/29/09: (morning) Burro or I.E., (afternoon/evening) Oxnard
8/30/09: (morning) El Segundo/West LA, (afternoon) fly out of LAX

ETA: Free locations are best!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestryll (Post 2921240)

Angeles is closer to me but Burro is doable as well.
Let's find out some prices for rental and such and see what's going to work out best for as many as possible.

Depending on when and where I may be able to make a few of the So Cal meetings.
Don't forget the Ventura County area, I think we have a fair amount of members from there as well.

What is your idea on time frame and scheduling Brandon?

FastFinger 08-14-2009 1:48 PM

Might want to save an extra seat...

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1...landletter.jpg

Kestryll 08-14-2009 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastFinger (Post 2921941)
Might want to save an extra seat...

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1...landletter.jpg

P.S. Bring cookies.

leitung 08-14-2009 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestryll (Post 2921988)
P.S. Bring cookies.

:rofl2:

Just name the time and place in Sacramento, and I will be there. I am really never full of great ideas, but I will do what I can..

jdberger 08-14-2009 4:00 PM

And a spellchecker.

FastFinger 08-14-2009 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdberger (Post 2922507)
And a spellchecker.

detales

microstencil 08-14-2009 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 2921446)
If we can nail down the locations, here's my first stab at an aggressive schedule for SoCal:

8/28/09 (morning) Fly into San Diego, (afternoon) SD/So. OC meeting, drive to LA area
8/29/09: (morning) Burro or I.E., (afternoon/evening) Oxnard
8/30/09: (morning) El Segundo/West LA, (afternoon) fly out of LAX

ETA: Free locations are best!

8/28 works for me. My office is in San Marcos 92078. It is at the North end of San Diego County and close to Southern Orange County. As I said before we can use my office for a meeting again depending on the size of the group. Let me know if you are interested.

Gay

wildhawker 08-14-2009 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microstencil (Post 2922821)
8/28 works for me. My office is in San Marcos 92078. It is at the North end of San Diego County and close to Southern Orange County. As I said before we can use my office for a meeting again depending on the size of the group. Let me know if you are interested.

Gay

Gary, I'm imagining 10-20. Would this work, and is there a place to grab some chow nearby afterward? ...maybe one that would kick a few bucks to Calguns if a decent group showed up?