Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Ventura Chapter (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=293)
-   -   What are you doing for Gun Appreciation Day? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=681876)

chozenfew805 01-18-2013 6:24 AM

What are you doing for Gun Appreciation Day?

Are any of the LGS here in Ventura County doing anything for gun appreciation?

Debating on whether to hit Piru or IVE:D

troysland 01-18-2013 6:39 AM

I'll be taking my 14 yr old daughter to the range. She stayed home when I took my wife last time. It'll be a family event on the 19th. And on to Burro on the 27th.

chozenfew805 01-18-2013 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorFranko (Post 10243438)
It just so happens Gun Appreciation Day is also the inagural "Speed Gun" competition at Piru (ISI Shootists IDPA range).

From the ISI webpage:

The ISI Speed Gun match is intended to provide a competition where all types of centerfire non-magnum handguns with whatever type of safe holster you choose (except shoulder, ankle, behind the back... holsters because of range safety requirements) can compete in a fun, safe and challenging environment. The courses of fire will be designed to pose strategic problems for the shooter to solve and will reward overall speed of shooting and speed of movement.

There will not be a power factor requirement. You may shoot whatever factory or handloaded ammunition you wish.

In general, there will be five stages requiring 25-30 rounds each...so 125-150 rounds will be needed for the match.

The scoring system will be classic "Comstock;" score divided by time, without a separate penalty for a missed shot. Hits on "no-shoot" targets will each incur a 10 point penalty. When targets are scored "best two hits to count," as a scoring bonus, any target that has three or more hits with at least one being in the "A" zone will be considered "smoked" and will be scored the maximum points available for the target.

In order to insure consistency of scoring and rule interpretation, ISI range officers will conduct each stage.

As at the other ISI club matches, you may sign-up at any time between 8:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., may shoot the stages without having to be assigned to a squad, in any order, at your convenience, and are not required or expected to set-up or to tear-down any stages or props. We believe you come to a match to have fun and learn, not to work.

Is the Piru range going to be open for those just wanting to shoot steel/pistol?

chozenfew805 01-18-2013 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorFranko (Post 10249944)
Wes Thompson's public range will be open to the public.
The ISI range is private, but open to any and all whom wish to enter. There are no attitudes except good attitudes and a willingness to help and teach. Don't be intimidated.

I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

lakersandguns 01-18-2013 10:04 PM

Matt is that the range pass Wes Thompson? Another calgunner told me about that place. What are you going to be shotting their? Did you ever get your 1911?

lakersandguns 01-18-2013 10:06 PM

Oh yeah, I might head over to Island View and support the cause.

coolname74 01-19-2013 3:28 AM

Anything planned in SO-CAL?

lakersandguns 01-19-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolname74 (Post 10253368)
Anything planned in SO-CAL?

Not that I know off. I know theirs a march up to the state capital.

lakersandguns 01-19-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorFranko (Post 10253403)
Yes, first range on the left past Wes Thompson's.
I'll be shooting a 9mm and I FINALLY pick up my new and very first 1911 on Tuesday! Woo-hoo!

Have fun out their sir.

Jet Setter 01-19-2013 11:40 AM

Nothing as all the LGS in the Sac area suck and don't do anything nice for their patrons.

Xombie 01-19-2013 12:10 PM

:yes:

lakersandguns 01-19-2013 3:05 PM

Just left Island View. Not as crowded as expected.