Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Survival and Preparations (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=297)
-   -   In a survival situation where would you shoot a larger animal with a .22? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=669833)

ThemBastards 01-03-2013 9:34 AM

In a survival situation where would you shoot a larger animal with a .22?

Not sure if this will do better in Hunting or Survival but I will give it a go here. So let's say you are out hiking and become involved in a survival situation and you happen to have your trusty Henry Survival rifle(any .22) with you, it has been days since you were able to eat and there it is a large deer or elk. If you had one shot with your .22 do you go for the throat? Try and crack the skull? Will the .22 reach the heart/lungs? Try and take out a foot/hoof or hip?

I know that it is considered cruel and ineffective to hunt larger game with a .22 and I wouldn't try it in normal instances but remember this is a survival situation.

Also you can't find any squirrel's/rats/birds or ANY smaller game.

paul0660 01-03-2013 9:35 AM

Between the eyes. It works so well they don't even pee.

KevinB 01-03-2013 9:41 AM

Park one in their ear and they fall like a rock.

strangerdude 01-03-2013 9:45 AM

I don't think a .22 would even penetrate that deep, it would just piss off an elk. I went hunting a few years back, shot a wild boar with a mini-14 in between the eyes, bullet bounced right off. I know a farmer who was fixing his fence line, and a bear snuck up on him, all he had was his .22 rifle. He was able to climb a tree, shot the bear over 50 times, he called for back up and they ended up taking out the bear with a 30-06. There is a reason hunting with rimfire is illegal.

paul0660 01-03-2013 9:48 AM

Quote:

There is a reason hunting with rimfire is illegal.
What is it, and what does that have to do with a survival situation?

strangerdude 01-03-2013 9:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul0660 (Post 10097240)
What is it, and what does that have to do with a survival situation?

It's not effective on big game. Your probably putting yourself in danger if you shoot big game with a .22 in a survival situation.

Jazeronthelaser 01-03-2013 9:54 AM

Lol. EVERYWHERE!!

Jazeronthelaser 01-03-2013 9:54 AM

Lol. EVERYWHERE!!

Tripper 01-03-2013 9:58 AM

ultimately, going back to the beginning, You had ONE single 22 bullet, you shot a deer/elk, now you have ZERO 22 bullets, and still no food

take a hunter safety class, or heck, I'll even send you a Hunter
Safety Study book if you PM me your address, I'll include a 3-in-1 field dressing guide even

good luck

Tripper

bruss01 01-03-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThemBastards (Post 10097114)
Not sure if this will do better in Hunting or Survival but I will give it a go here. So let's say you are out hiking and become involved in a survival situation and you happen to have your trusty Henry Survival rifle(any .22) with you, it has been days since you were able to eat and there it is a large deer or elk. If you had one shot with your .22 do you go for the throat? Try and crack the skull? Will the .22 reach the heart/lungs? Try and take out a foot/hoof or hip?

I know that it is considered cruel and ineffective to hunt larger game with a .22 and I wouldn't try it in normal instances but remember this is a survival situation.

"choot em in da head"

http://www.northeasternfirearms.com/.../DSCN32971.jpg
http://media.proworldinc.com/media/c.../1/a11948e.jpg

Guitarmoto 01-03-2013 10:10 AM

The left testicle.

JoshuaS 01-03-2013 10:25 AM

You can certainly bag a deer with a 22. Head shot. Mini-mags are the best for that. Or so an old man who has hunted all his life told me. No personal experience

ThemBastards 01-03-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripper (Post 10097347)
ultimately, going back to the beginning, You had ONE single 22 bullet, you shot a deer/elk, now you have ZERO 22 bullets, and still no food

take a hunter safety class, or heck, I'll even send you a Hunter
Safety Study book if you PM me your address, I'll include a 3-in-1 field dressing guide even

good luck

Tripper

Didn't mean one bullet, just figured you would only get one good shot before the animal tried to flee. You can't tell me you wouldn't try if you or your family were starving to death.

KevinB 01-03-2013 10:48 AM

I have killed hundreds of cows and pigs on the ranch with a .22

Nothing more deadly than a 22 at 50 feet in the head.

There is a reason that on of the favorite guns of a poacher is a 22. Its cheap and fairly quite.

Wish I had a nickle for every deer killed with a 22.

Tripper 01-03-2013 10:51 AM

The book shows what angles and such are good shots and are not good shots as well as the why and why nots

FreshPrinceofRP 01-03-2013 6:30 PM

IMO the best idea is to go for a shot in the eyeball with almost any size game, but using a .22lr round. Yes it is a smaller target, but with more reward. There generally is no hard bone behind the eye socket to deflect a shot before it hits the brain/cortex/spinal column.

Other than that, I know arrows are used to kill larger game, but I really have no comparison between the penetration of a 22lr and an arrow to the heart area. I guess the bullet would have to land perfectly in between ribs.

jyo 01-03-2013 7:17 PM

Way back in the Hippie days, I knew a group of guys and girls who took up residence in the woods---back to nature and all that---and they were starving! Turns out one of them had a Ruger standard automatic 22 pistol with a 6' barrel. They quickly worked out that if you hid up in a tree over a deer trail, the 22 head-shot provided deer meat regularly (kinda small deer in middle California).

GrizzlyGuy 01-03-2013 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strangerdude (Post 10097213)
I went hunting a few years back, shot a wild boar with a mini-14 in between the eyes, bullet bounced right off.

I had that happen to me once when I was really young and really stupid (10 or 11 years old).

My cousin and I took his motorcycle out to a remote part of our property (Ham Canyon, believe it or not, about 20 miles west of Paul0660) and there was a big boar standing up on the side of the canyon above an old logging landing, maybe 30 yards away. My cousin stopped, I hopped off with my trusty but el-cheapo bolt action .22, aimed between the eyes, fired and... the pig just shook his head and kept staring down at us. I figured I must have missed, so I did it again. The pig shook his head one more time but then started down towards us. Seeing this, my cousin hit the gas and left me there to face the pissed-off boar by myself. :eek:

I kept my sights on the boar as he trotted down and fortunately he had to turn broadside to get around a log, giving me the chance to put one into his shoulder. He went around the log and started down at me again, so I aimed just over (behind) his head and fired twice more into the general area of his back. The pig made it down to the landing, was still headed at me, so I fired again (not sure where I was aiming that one). The pig got to within about 15 feet of me, wobbled, then finally dropped down dead. I was shaking like a leaf, still don't know why I hadn't literally crapped my pants by then.

My cousin came back and we checked out the pig. I hadn't missed on either of my first two shots, you could see the bullet tracks from where they had hit his "plate" then skidded up and off his forehead.

Anyhoo... like everyone says, a .22 is plenty effective if you know where to place your shots. Being that young and used to hunting deer with a 30-30, I didn't, and that ole boar almost killed me.

johnny1290 01-03-2013 8:33 PM

Large deer or elk, right? I wouldn't fool with boars with a .22. They're tough.

Survival situation? WROL? Do what poachers do. Spotlight the sum ***** and shoot it right in the heart.

The bigger the animal, the better your shot will have to be if you want to actually recover it.

As far as Elk go,
You want to kill *this* with a .22? On the right day, with the right ammo, the right shot, the right distance, OK, but realistically, no.

http://doubletoughoutdoors.com/wp-co...008/07/elk.jpg

twinpalms1 01-03-2013 11:19 PM

There isn't a single species of game in North America that at one time or another that hasn't been taken with a .22LR. I know a man that has taken 2 bull Elk with them. Not head shots either. Lung shots both times. Pigs, doubtful. Any deer you find in California can be taken with one. If close enough, a head shot is preferred. I know Japanese guys that take deer with 22 pellet guns year in & year out.

It's the wizard, not the wand.

RangerJoe 01-04-2013 8:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyo (Post 10102683)
Way back in the Hippie days, I knew a group of guys and girls who took up residence in the woods---back to nature and all that---and they were starving! Turns out one of them had a Ruger standard automatic 22 pistol with a 6' barrel. They quickly worked out that if you hid up in a tree over a deer trail, the 22 head-shot provided deer meat regularly (kinda small deer in middle California).

Before or after brownies?

Tripper 01-04-2013 9:18 AM

since it was asked via PM;
I am referring to sending "Hunter Education" Study Books, which are the books used for the CA DFG Hunter Education Classes, I'm happy to send the books, no charge to you, it usually costs me less than $3 to send the packet.
which contains;
Today's Hunter In California
Today's Hunter Study Guide (a fill in the blank booklet to see what you've learned)
3-In-1 Field Guide, which illustrates field care basics
2012-2013 Waterfowl regulations
2012-2013 Mammal regulations (while supplies last)
anything else I might have available at the time

You can also take a look at this link, which is almost exactly the book with better animations.
http://www.hunter-ed.com/California
and prepares you for the Home-Study/Online (4-hour) course

Here is some real good hunting guides
Deer
Turkey
Wild Pig
all can be found here http://www.dfg.ca.gov/Hunting/

Falstaff 01-04-2013 1:14 PM

I grew up near a large beef slaughter house, we'd go over there to get free stomach magnets and eyeballs on occasion ( always handy to freak people out with) anyway, when the pneumatic hammer thing failed to instant kill, they'd follow up with a .22 to the brain bucket....point blank though, I dunno if it'd kill from any distance.

CSACANNONEER 01-04-2013 1:25 PM

I've dropped a deer in it's tracks with one shot from a .22lr. Of course, I was young, dumb, broke and only saw meat. I would not do it again unless I was in a survival situation and, I wouldn't do it with a Henry's survival rifle because, I've gotten rid of the few I've owned. I prefer .22s that are reliable and trustworthy.

ElvenSoul 01-04-2013 2:07 PM

You might want to read this http://www.chuckhawks.com/bell_elephants.htm

kaligaran 01-04-2013 2:27 PM

Food is not anywhere near the top concern in a short term survival situation like the one referenced in the OP (hiking turned bad situation).

If you were a week or two into the situation most likely you would have seen smaller game by that point that would be more suited to a 22.

CSACANNONEER 01-04-2013 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaligaran (Post 10109775)
Food is not anywhere near the top concern in a short term survival situation like the one referenced in the OP (hiking turned bad situation).

If you were a week or two into the situation most likely you would have seen smaller game by that point that would be more suited to a 22.

Like spotted owl, California condor, desert kit fox, kangaroo rat, etc?

thomashoward 01-04-2013 3:04 PM

side head shot, just in front of the ear for the kill
foreheads slope and my be only a glancing blow

LibertyDeath 01-04-2013 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThemBastards (Post 10097114)

Into my temple. If I am that forked I am going to die eventually. It also means I am out of all other ammo even 9mm. I am as good as dead.

82fb 01-04-2013 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertyDeath (Post 10110172)
Into my temple. If I am that forked I am going to die eventually. It also means I am out of all other ammo even 9mm. I am as good as dead.

Quitter...:D

razr 01-04-2013 6:08 PM

What do you think they used during depression to hunt deer with?

Perseverance 01-05-2013 8:33 PM

My Avater is a target guide from WWII by the US to
take out a German sentry with the supplied Win Model
74 in 22lr. Luv my model 74.

FMFdevildoc 01-05-2013 8:50 PM

If you hunt with a 22LR for big game, in a non life & death certifiable emergency: you are a POACHER. It is illegal and inhumane to "hunt" big game with a 22LR. Just saying.

Have 22LR killed big game? Sure. I've killed a coyote out f state, because it was legal to shoot (non game) coyotes with a 22... Also saw a coyote take 15+ CCI Stinger hollow points and keep running.

Stick to small game with 22s, otherwise, pray you never TRULY have to rely upon it. If that case, aim for the head I reckon... HA HA HA

Otherwise, please remember - shooting large animals with a 22lr is not only illegal and inhumane, it may be hazardous to your well being as one members experience with a wild pig illustrated.

johnthomas 01-05-2013 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruss01 (Post 10097454)

I bought a box of those to keep and not shoot, now...........I cannot find any 22lr, I guess I will just have to go and choot em up.

OIFVet03 01-05-2013 9:55 PM

I wouldn't use it on big game.

CSACANNONEER 01-06-2013 5:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthomas (Post 10122736)
I bought a box of those to keep and not shoot, now...........I cannot find any 22lr, I guess I will just have to go and choot em up.

I'd trade you if tou were local. While I do have a small reserve of .22, I constantly buy a couple boxes when I'm at Walmart. Last night, I got the only box of .22lr that was on the shelf.

desertjosh 01-07-2013 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perseverance (Post 10122418)
My Avater is a target guide from WWII by the US to
take out a German sentry with the supplied Win Model
74 in 22lr. Luv my model 74.

Lol oh wow. I just poked my finger at/in that spot. I believe that would do it, thanks for the info.

ArmedCMT 01-07-2013 4:31 PM

OMG!! Where can i get these? I think the mrs. would laugh so hard she might tinkle herself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruss01 (Post 10097454)

Manolito 01-07-2013 5:37 PM

I don't know how to answer.
If you draw a line from the ear to the opposing eye and you do the same from the other side where those lines intersect is where you shoot a cow, sheep, pig, goat or any farm animal. This includes a horse.

Killing large animals in a survival situaiton has several draw backs. If you are on the move how much can you carry. If you are stationary you just rang the dinner bell for all large carnivores.

Snares are your friend in a survival situaiton.

When we went through SERE school food was not a problem for a week.

Hope this helps.

Bill

yelohamr 01-07-2013 5:51 PM

I'd shoot them in my back yard.