Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Ammo and Reloading (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   What is the best reloading kit/station for under $400? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=528361)

SpaceMan 01-27-2012 12:45 PM

What is the best reloading kit/station for under $400?

Hello fellow calgunners,
I'm getting ready to start up my own reloading station but there are alot of brands out there and they all seem to have very good reviews but then someone always has to HATE on it for one reason or another. I've been using my uncles setup for a while now a single stage reloader. His is just a bunch of random brands that he picked up probly about 25-35 years ago. I'm thinking of going with the Lyman Crusher 2 Single Stage Press Master Reloading Kit. It's only $324 on midwayusa and have heard great things about this setup. Anyone use this one? Is there something better out there for the price? What else would I need for reloading .223rem and .40S&w that these kits won't come with? I have brass primers bullets powder & wads being I already reload at my uncles but will I need dies and such?

Lyman Crusher 2 Single Stage Press Master Reloading Kit 110 Volt
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/564...g-kit-110-volt

maschronic 01-27-2012 12:48 PM

i would spend a little bit more and pickup a dillon 550. find someone selling a used one with all the fixings for the caliber you need. i've seen it sell here for $450 complete with the ability to reload 2-3 other calibers.

everyone will have their own opinions regarding single press or progressive. i say go progressive and learn your machine.

problemchild 01-27-2012 1:37 PM

Or go with the Dillon 550-BL basic loader. Its only 250 and you can add to it later to make a 550.

Dark Mod 01-27-2012 2:21 PM

Hornady LNL is $379 at midway right now. Full fledged progressive press with auto indexing and 5 stations. I dont think they are still having the 500 free bullet promotion anymore but if they are thats like $150 of free bullets

Justintoxicated 01-27-2012 3:03 PM

Are you looking for just the press though or an entire kit? The Hornaday single stage kit has ALMOST everything you need to get started.

You would still need a case trimmer, primer pocket uniformer, extra powder dropper metering inserts, case lube, one shot cleaner to spray the press off, Dies, shellholder / shellplates, tumbler etc.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/749...tage-press-kit

They look pretty similar, but I'm not familiar with the Lyman powder dropper, so not sure if it is better or worse.

I have both Books Hornady and, Lyman not sure which one I like better I use them both. Lyman loads seem to start a little hotter.
Not sure which press is better, I like that the lyman looks like it comes with the primer feed tubes, while it's extra to get those for the hornady press. The tiebreaker for me is that you still get 500 free bullets with Hornady! That's a lot of 40 cal.

http://www.hornady.com/promotions/get-loaded-2012

stand125 01-27-2012 4:33 PM

The LEE Classic Turret Press kit is a great buy for about $200.00. Make sure that it is the Classic Turret press and not the standard turret press.

john16443 01-27-2012 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stand125 (Post 7928811)
The LEE Classic Turret Press kit is a great buy for about $200.00. Make sure that it is the Classic Turret press and not the standard turret press.

SpaceMan - the above would be better suited to your needs, and you can get the whole kit for under $213 delivered to your door from here http://www.fmreloading.com/Merchant2...essive+Presses

With the difference in savings from your indicated budget, you could still add the Smartreloader dream tumbler, get yourself a digital scale comperable to the one in your Lyman kit, and another manual (Lyman or other) and still be under your budget. If you need dies, buy them from F&M Reloading as well.

With this press you need nothing more than a $10 turret plate for each caliber and 10 seconds to change the plate. Once that's done, you're loading whatever caliber you want.

Bill Steele 01-27-2012 5:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMan (Post 7927444)
Hello fellow calgunners,
I'm getting ready to start up my own reloading station but there are alot of brands out there and they all seem to have very good reviews but then someone always has to HATE on it for one reason or another. I've been using my uncles setup for a while now a single stage reloader. His is just a bunch of random brands that he picked up probly about 25-35 years ago. I'm thinking of going with the Lyman Crusher 2 Single Stage Press Master Reloading Kit. It's only $324 on midwayusa and have heard great things about this setup. Anyone use this one? Is there something better out there for the price? What else would I need for reloading .223rem and .40S&w that these kits won't come with? I have brass primers bullets powder & wads being I already reload at my uncles but will I need dies and such?

Lyman Crusher 2 Single Stage Press Master Reloading Kit 110 Volt
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/564...g-kit-110-volt

I think that looks like a really nice starter setup. You will always have a use for the single stage press, even if down the road you decide to move up to a turret or progressive press to speed loading for greater volumes.

Longhill 01-27-2012 8:09 PM

Noticed at the Torrance Turners had a couple of Dillon 550's in stock.
Sorry didn't see the price.

john16443 01-27-2012 8:12 PM

And the Lee turret can function as a single stage press by removing the indexing rod. Bill's right, everyone should have a single stage press available.

wilit 01-27-2012 8:34 PM

Is $400 your budget for EVERYTHING or just the press kit? You'll also need some sort of brass cleaner like a tumbler or a ultrasonic cleaner, dies and calipers. Don't forget to include reloading components too.

I'm setting up my kit and after about 6 months of reading, asking questions and playing with display models, I've settled on getting the Lee Classic Turret. It looks like a great beginner setup at a good price. Everything I've read about the Classic says it's one of Lee's best.

Divernhunter 01-27-2012 8:41 PM

That is a good kit. I have a friend with it. I got a RCBS Rockchucker kit years ago and they are good. Get a single stage as you will always have a use for it even if you get a progressive. I have 3 single stages and a Dillon650. All the single stage presses get alot of use.

WADS???? That the heck are wads used for. I have been reloading since the1960's and never used wads in rifle/pistol ammo. Only shotgun ammo.

You will also need dies and shellholders for the dies. I use RCBS/Hornady/Redding/Lyman and Dillon on my Dillon650 but dislike the lee dies. All but lee have a no BS warr. I have had to use the RCBS and Hornady one, have never paid for a part and just called them to get parts.
A caliper is handy and they are cheap at harbor freight. They work fine. I got the electronic one.
Safety glasses are good.
Get a hand primer. Lee is fine if you get the shellholders made for the le hand-primer.

MOST IMPORTANT: Get the Lyman#49 reloading manual and read it FIRST. It will answer most questions and has good reloading data.
A primer pocket uniformer is not NEEDED. To be honest you do not HAVE to have a case trimmer to start with to make good ammo. Especially if you do not crimp your rifle ammo. I load for 204ruger thru 338mag/45-70 and 50bmg and do not crimp any of it. Shoots great and never a problem. A case trimmer is good to have though. As are many other extras which you will decide as you go along that you want/need or not want/need.
I like RCBS spray case lube. You also need a small cookie sheet to use to apply it and a couple of old towels to remove it. Just dump them on one towel ona table or floor and rub them around with the other to remove the lube.
Some plastic ammo boxes are good to have.
A neck brush set with graphite is a big help. Bonaza makes a good one.
I am sure there are other things but cannot think of them now.

skibuff 01-27-2012 9:48 PM

I've used RCBS stuff for over 10 years and they still send out free of charge any parts that break or malfunction no questions asked or proof of purchase. I LOST a spring called them to buy a replacement and they sent a new one out for free.
Great customer service and products.

RCBS Master reloader kit is pretty complete just need dies and shellplates. I think they run under 400

Lead Waster 01-27-2012 10:19 PM

A tumbler is awesome, but you can get by without it first. (And it will make you appreciate it all the more when you DO buy one!). Just throw your dirty brass in a bucket with some dish soap, use a toilet brush (bought new!) to swirl it around and mix it up, then rinse a few times and dump the brass out onto an old towel in the sun (or at least out doors somewhere). Clean enough!

Justintoxicated 01-27-2012 10:56 PM

Your not saving much with the Lee kit over the Hornady one once you factory in the 500 free bullets...That lyman kit looks nice too, its a good press, and maybe a better scale (my Hornady came with GS-350 though not the regular one), just no free bullets.

Does the press support the some sort of quick change bushing?

SpaceMan 01-28-2012 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divernhunter (Post 7930327)
WADS???? That the heck are wads used for. I have been reloading since the1960's and never used wads in rifle/pistol ammo. Only shotgun ammo.

My uncle and I put wads in to keep the powder close to the primer. The velocity and accuracy can be inconsistant depending on where the powder is when it ignights. Just somethng we do to gain more consistancy with our loads.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you every one for the input!

damndave 01-28-2012 7:01 PM

How much do you shoot? Single stage loading pistol rounds takes forever. For those 2 calibers with minimal monthly shooting, I would go with a turret press.