Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Ammo and Reloading (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   What the heck is going on with SP primer availability? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=643688)

Flyin Brian 11-13-2012 9:22 AM

What the heck is going on with SP primer availability?

I've been using CCI primers for quite a while and worked up all of my pistol loads with CCI so I would always be able to replicate it. I'm out of SP primers and I've been looking everywhere for them, they are not available at any of the places I am looking. So today I started decided I will have to switch to Win of Federal, and I looked at Powder Valley... they are out of ALL small pistol primers, with the exception of Tula, which is not what I want to buy.

Anybody want to share another source or recommend another brand that will work reliably? I've seen people mention Wolf primers, but I've never used them and I don't see them listed at PV.

Cowboy T 11-13-2012 9:36 AM

Go ahead and use the Tula primers. I've used plenty of them in both .38 Spl and .357 Magnum. They've gone bang without fail for me, and they're remarkably affordable. Like your CCI's, they tend to have a slightly thicker primer cup on average, and I find them generally to be very similar in behaviour to the CCI's.

The Wolf primers are the same as the Tula primers. Same factory and assembly line in Murom, Russia, just different branding.

shooterbill 11-13-2012 9:50 AM

I have used lots of Wolf SPP and they work great. I have never had one that didn't go bang. Widener's or Grafs might have some also.

XDRoX 11-13-2012 9:50 AM

Wolf/Tula are slightly harder than CCI and ever so slightly hotter IME.
If you're already at top end with the CCI you may want to work the load up again.

Personally I use them interchangeably, but I'm no where close to max.

mjmagee67 11-13-2012 11:32 AM

I use Winchester and CCI SPP interchangeably, I have also heard that the Remington 5 1/2 can also be used interchangeably. I also do not load MAX loads, I load upper middle of the road loads so changing primers isn't going to push me over the top.

Bill Steele 11-13-2012 12:23 PM

How many are you looking for? I have a large supply of WSP, I make it over to Richmond R&G from time to time, I could throw a box/sleeve in the truck when I am coming over.

If that makes sense, shoot me a PM.

Flyin Brian 11-13-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDRoX (Post 9715082)
If you're already at top end with the CCI you may want to work the load up again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjmagee67 (Post 9715607)
I use Winchester and CCI SPP interchangeably, I have also heard that the Remington 5 1/2 can also be used interchangeably. I also do not load MAX loads, I load upper middle of the road loads so changing primers isn't going to push me over the top.

I'm not shooting max loads (with the exception of one 357MAG load I use with my GP100 where I have to count my fingers after each shot) so I'm not worried about going too hot... I guess I just have some mild ADD issue where I like to keep the components the same so I can replicate my results. I'm probably over-analyzing it.

Flyin Brian 11-13-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Steele (Post 9715872)
How many are you looking for? I have a large supply of WSP, I make it over to Richmond R&G from time to time, I could throw a box/sleeve in the truck when I am coming over.

If that makes sense, shoot me a PM.

Bill, I truly appreciate the offer. I do have a secret stash of Winchester SP and I finally broke down and used 500 of those last weekend so I have another 1,500 left. I'm looking at buying probably 2 cases of 5,000 each so that I will have enough to last a while and hopefully the shortage will have ended by then.

BTW I noticed Grafs has Federal Match SP primers in stock. I wonder if they are worth trying. I see they are priced at $149 for 5,000 which is only $20 higher than what I have been seeing CCI listed.

Javi 11-13-2012 1:36 PM

Powder Valley has CCI back in stock now, fyi. $26 per k.

Flyin Brian 11-13-2012 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javi (Post 9716317)
Powder Valley has CCI back in stock now, fyi. $26 per k.

All this for nothing!! I called them 2 hours ago and they didn't have any, didn't know when they would get any, etc etc. Just called a few minutes ago and they received a shipment today. Thanks Javi, I probably wouldn't have looked again for a week :)

I got a bunch ordered!

Javi 11-13-2012 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyin Brian (Post 9716508)
All this for nothing!! I called them 2 hours ago and they didn't have any, didn't know when they would get any, etc etc. Just called a few minutes ago and they received a shipment today. Thanks Javi, I probably wouldn't have looked again for a week :)

I got a bunch ordered!

I checked Facebook after work and P.V. mentioned it :) This was an hour ago now. They said they got in Federal yesterday but seems to be gone already.

Sheldon 11-13-2012 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javi (Post 9716600)
I checked Facebook after work and P.V. mentioned it :) This was an hour ago now. They said they got in Federal yesterday but seems to be gone already.

"Originally Posted by Flyin Brian

I got a bunch ordered!"

He wasn't kidding!!!

Bill Steele 11-13-2012 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyin Brian (Post 9716104)
...BTW I noticed Grafs has Federal Match SP primers in stock. I wonder if they are worth trying. I see they are priced at $149 for 5,000 which is only $20 higher than what I have been seeing CCI listed.

I tried Fed Match in all my pistol reloads and frankly couldn't tell the difference. I just started using them in my rifle loads and like them a lot, definitely saw an improvement in SD's over WLR.

M27 11-13-2012 6:57 PM

I first used the federal gold match LPP because that is all I could get my hands on at the time. I have used around 5000 and haven't had any issues.

I also have used the gold match SPP. I was reloading for an old 38spcl revo that was having light strike issues with CCI SPP. The softer cup of the gold match reduced the light strikes from maybe 1 in 10 to 1 in 50.

I still use CCI for most my loads but I do use the gold match for my "special loads" including defense loads

Flyin Brian 11-14-2012 11:06 AM

Thanks for the help and tips, guys. I ordered up my usual CCI SP and LP primers, thanks to Javi for giving me the heads up.

Bill, I decided to go a little further now and ordered up 2 boxes of the CCI Benchrest LR primers. I have been doing a lot of load testing with one of my Finnish Mosin Nagants using brand new Lapua brass and Lapua Scenar 155gr Silver Jacket bullets (moly coated). I'm still experimenting with it, but so far things have been working out pretty well. I hope these BR primers continue to make things more consistent and not work against me ;)

Bill Steele 11-14-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyin Brian (Post 9721886)
Thanks for the help and tips, guys. I ordered up my usual CCI SP and LP primers, thanks to Javi for giving me the heads up.

Bill, I decided to go a little further now and ordered up 2 boxes of the CCI Benchrest LR primers. I have been doing a lot of load testing with one of my Finnish Mosin Nagants using brand new Lapua brass and Lapua Scenar 155gr Silver Jacket bullets (moly coated). I'm still experimenting with it, but so far things have been working out pretty well. I hope these BR primers continue to make things more consistent and not work against me ;)

I think you are going to really like those BR primers. Guys I know that use them get really good SD's. The only complaint I have heard is they are a little cooler than others, so the powder selection becomes more important, heresay though YMMV. I am going to try some after I use up these Fed Match I bought.

bruceflinch 11-14-2012 5:46 PM

Ya Chowderhead, USI has them for $24, in stock. Remington & Winchester. The Rem's are a bit more.

Luv1911's 11-14-2012 6:50 PM

USI???

problemchild 11-14-2012 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDRoX (Post 9715082)

Slightly harder is an understatement!

The cups are so hard they remind me of ar500 steel.

Flyin Brian 11-14-2012 8:05 PM

Im looking for CCI, inspector Clouseau.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Cowboy T 11-15-2012 6:21 AM

We know. For high-precision rifle loads, or for max loads regardless of cartridge, I'd say yep, stick with that specific brand/model of primer, given the same powder & bullet. However, since that doesn't seem to describe your situation--you're not shooting high-precision rifle, nor are you running max handgun loads--pretty much any primer will work very well. I've tried six different brands of primers in my handgun loads--CCI, Federal, Magtech, Remington, Winchester, and Wolf/Tula--and I cannot perceive any difference. POI remains the same.

Just suggesting that until the CCI's return in quantity, you might allow for some flexibility. What matters most is that you get primers and can actually reload at all, and we're doing what we can to help you accomplish that.

gotglock99 11-15-2012 11:44 AM

There is a gun show in costa Mesa thanksgiving weekend. Hopefully they have SPP my stock is running low!

bruceflinch 11-18-2012 3:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv1911's (Post 9724813)
USI???

United Sportsmen Inc, in Concord. Members get components for 5% overcost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyin Brian (Post 9725378)
Im looking for CCI, inspector Clouseau.

Primer snob! :p