Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   L.A. Chapter (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   clay shooting in L.A. Area (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=815784)

itsbs2 08-30-2013 7:51 AM

clay shooting in L.A. Area

I know there are a huge number of threads about clay shooting on this forum, but I have searched and have not found an answer to my question yet. I have been shooting clays for a few years, but have always done it very informally in my back yard in colorado. Now that I have relocated to california, I would like to continue to shoot clays. I know that many people say Oak Tree Gun Club is the place in so cal to break clays, but I am a little nervous to go to a place like this that is so formal, when I have not done any formal clay shooting. Like I said, I've just done backyard shooting. I have read a lot of good things about the staff and people at ASR, and am wondering if this would be a good place to hone my skills in a more formal environment before I really get into clay shooting and possibly sporting clays. Any advice here would be appreciated. Usually I would not be worried about being a noob, but when guns are involved, I dont want to go somewhere, and do something out of protocol (I dont mean gun safety, that should be practiced everywhere, but just process and procedure).

Thanks in advance for everyones help, and I apologize in advance if this has been answered before, but I could not find it.

NatesDad 08-30-2013 8:16 AM

Triple B's in South El Monte. The staff behind the counter are friendly and engaging; easy on the eyes as well. ;)

Braddah Jay 08-30-2013 8:38 AM

Angeles Shooting Range has a self loader on the pistol & rifle side. (Left of the office)

matt85 08-30-2013 9:29 AM

I like to go to Prado Olympic Shooting Park in Chino. The guys that work there are friendly and will get you up to speed on normal trap/skeet range etiquette.

urbanfood 08-30-2013 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsbs2 (Post 12192446)
I know that many people say Oak Tree Gun Club is the place in so cal to break clays, but I am a little nervous to go to a place like this that is so formal, when I have not done any formal clay shooting.

oak tree gun club is great. i go to the pistol range and everyone is really nice. i've also watched the clay shooters. want to try it someday soon. i recommend calling up oak tree and schedule a private one hour with a range officer so he can walk you through the process of shooting clay and how they do it and give you some tips.

kdruff2 08-30-2013 6:16 PM

FYI - There's a dedicated sporting clay venue, Moore N Moore (MnM), right across the parking lot from ASR. MnM is probably the most challenging of all the sporting clay places IMHO, but they've got the best deal in town with the once a month (1st Sunday) Big Bonanza Fun Shoot. 100 clays for only $37 plus hot dog + soda lunch. They simplify the course for the fun shoot so great for new shooters.

The next shoot is actually this Sunday.

You can also post in the Shotgun forum for additional input.

Good luck!

PS - I wouldn't sweat going to OakTree, or any of the above named places, if your new. They're all super-friendly (workers and shooters). Just get out there and don't worry about it.

itsbs2 09-02-2013 8:01 AM

thanks for the advice everyone!

Zane1844 09-02-2013 8:06 AM

There is "A Place to Shoot" in Santa Clarita.

You can throw your own clays, then go shoot your other guns if you want, at their other ranges.

I have enjoyed it the two times I went.

pitbull30 09-06-2013 10:50 AM

Oak tree is good. No need to worry there. You can even find deals on groupon for 2 people. It was only my second time clay shooting and had a blast. Then after you can go to the restaraunt and have lunch and a beer.