Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Sturdy Safes (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=35666)

fresno 06-11-2006 9:21 PM

Sturdy Safes

Does anyone own a Sturyd Safe made in Fresno, If so how do you like it and did you get a good deal on it. Thank you, fresno.

socalsteve 06-11-2006 11:43 PM

My friend bought 2 of them, one firelined, he thinks they are among the best built and oneo fthe best for the money.

Their website shows a burnt down house with the safe standing and the contents inside after it was opened.

I'd say they beat most of the common gun safe names like cannon, winchester, broowning, etc.

Last time I spoke with them they used hardened 3/16th steel for the sides, back, top & bottom vs. 1/4 inch but they mentioned it is hardened,

I've been considerring ordering one for years if I could just figure how to get it moved inside - they only drop ship.

scootergmc 06-12-2006 3:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fresno
Does anyone own a Sturyd Safe made in Fresno, If so how do you like it and did you get a good deal on it. Thank you, fresno.

I have a Sturdy 3627 fire-lined 42 gun safe. I've had it just over a year...a gift to myself for last year's tax return and the kids being old enough to wander and grab for things unknown.... total OTD was $1492.99, which, for the capacity and protection, was far better than anything else I could get, including all the major brands... Liberty, Cannon, Browning, etc...

I like the ceramic wool fireproofing over the sheetrock (it costs more, but seeing the comparisons won me over) and the lock mechanism is different than comparable safe which can be easily drilled and punched... mine is standard granite finish, I didn't need or want the fancy-shmancy artwork glossy high maintenance paint job. Totally function over form. By the way, the wife thinks it's totally ugly...but then again, I didn't ask for her opinion...

I drove down and had an appointment on a Saturday morning to pick it up. The owner, darn if I can't think of his name right now, gave me the tour of the shop.... they have some big metal working machines... and helped me load it up. He even showed me how to drill and punch the other types of locks... and one he had recently done...

sfakaoni 06-14-2006 10:40 AM

Sturdy is great.

I've had a fireproofed Sturdy for about 5 years - love it. Drop ship is tough if you have stairs, but the product is great.

ramon 06-16-2006 9:54 PM

Finally bought one

These are the real thing. Compare everything and talk to Terry the owner. Go there and he'll show you what he does and why. You don't need 47 chrome bolts on a shiny safe that a kid with a fire axe can knock the top off or bash thru the side. Fire board stops fire-insulation insulates. Fire isn't going thru your steel wall(if it is steel and not sheet metal!), heat is what goes thru. Google for insulation blankets and materials-they use ceramic fiber cloth and glass insulation like Sturdy not fireboard. There are other good gun safes out there but these give you what you need at great value. Your wife wont let you put this iron monster in the living room but it will keep your guns safe especially if bolted down in the garage. Just my opinion after a lot of shopping.

scootergmc 06-16-2006 10:20 PM

Terry!! That's his name... :p

patman 06-17-2006 8:49 AM

Same here about wanting one - I can use one for other stuff also such as legal papers etc.

But the part about how to get it in place after shipping is my issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalsteve
[snip]
I've been considerring ordering one for years if I could just figure how to get it moved inside - they only drop ship.

stickman 06-17-2006 11:49 PM

If you have no stairs or just a few stairs, then a pallet jack, 3/4" plywood, and some scrap 2x4, 4x4, 4x6, 4x8...depending on the stairs size works. Moved many things over 1000lbs this way. It also works for getting items off pallets themselves....

Brian

scootergmc 06-18-2006 7:00 AM

A carpeted Piano Dolleyn works quite well...

mike100 10-02-2006 9:50 PM

Revivng an old thread... I still feel sturdy safes offer the top end in (functionally tough) residential security containers for well under $2k. A real safe would have 1/2 to 3/4 inch steel plate I suppose, but my snap-on tool box right next to the safe has nearly twice the content value and the box was about twice as much as the safe too.

Terry said he used to know a guy who did training with the fire dept up there and he got to try out a few of his safes in condemned bldg training fires until he fine tuned the optimal setup that he sells now. I think the fire protection potential is as important as theft prevention.

a 5' high 3627 model:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1255safesm.jpg

socalsteve 10-03-2006 12:20 PM

How much did it cost you?

mike100 10-03-2006 5:57 PM

I did buy it before summer and the price was around $1600 with tax- (fire lined model). I picked it up rather than ship it-it was a wash money wise, but I didn't want to deal with dropping it at my work address vs trying to be discreet by having an 18 wheeler show up on my street without with no forklift in sight. The trip to Fresno was fun..except the part where I got to drive through L.A. I think the fire liner adds around $200 to $300 depending on the size of the box.

Brown Safe is literally 2 miles away, but they don't market to the consumer as I never found out about them until much later. I don't beleive they make anything less than $4000 anyhow.

the lockwork, dial, and handle are holding up which is less than I can say for a couple of floor model safes that people play with a lot in the gun shops. you know when the faux brass handle is wobbly, that it won't hold up to a daily opening/fondling session for long.

maybe I'll put a few detail pics up without exposing the contents of mine, but the initial shock of not having as slick of a door disappears soon after you realize you aren't making payments on a credit card and the thing is generally well thought out. The owner of sturdy safe is the kind of guy who doesn't like to outsource hardly anything. He welds his own handle and sends it for plating. makes his own homeade lockwork and generally handles the industrial finish in house with some kind of low voc approved paint he can do up there without all the stuff needed by a major paint body shop. He even welded up the trusses in one of his warehouses and got some old corrogated steel from some farm rather than go into debt. moral of the story is that you don't have to pay for outsourcing cost. Not a modern business plan, but he still makes boxes that seem to have the content/price a lot of people like me want.

socalsteve 10-04-2006 2:01 PM

Thats not a bad price - I had a friend who owned 2 Sturdy Safes.

I've been looking at this

http://www.directsafes.com/burglary-...m?ProductID=30

I figure with no shelves inside it would be a good gun safe and a real safe at TL30 but 2900 lbs! I would have to hire a safe moving company which would add to the $2500 cost. Plus I would like more room.

I'm thinking as soon as we are finished with all our re-modeling that i will get the sturdy safe in the 36 or 48" width. It will weigh less and be very fireproof.

One plus is the ceramic blanket does not retain moisture like the cement mix or wallboard so in my climate (Desert = San Fernando Valley of LA) I probably won't need a goldenrod.

DJMAN 10-04-2006 2:57 PM

I have one and it's full. Time for a bigger one. If you go to their shop sometimes they have some scratch and dent sales. Happy safe hunting.:)

scootergmc 10-05-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike100
Revivng an old thread... I still feel sturdy safes offer the top end in (functionally tough) residential security containers for well under $2k. A real safe would have 1/2 to 3/4 inch steel plate I suppose, but my snap-on tool box right next to the safe has nearly twice the content value and the box was about twice as much as the safe too.

Terry said he used to know a guy who did training with the fire dept up there and he got to try out a few of his safes in condemned bldg training fires until he fine tuned the optimal setup that he sells now. I think the fire protection potential is as important as theft prevention.

a 5' high 3627 model:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1255safesm.jpg

Exactly like mine. Such a pretty safe!