Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=330)
-   -   Tracy Rifle v. Kamala Harris || - 9-11-18 Sumry Judgmt for Plaintiff, USDC Eastern CA (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1003220)

wildhawker 11-10-2014 11:27 AM

Tracy Rifle v. Kamala Harris || - 9-11-18 Sumry Judgmt for Plaintiff, USDC Eastern CA

UPDATE: Appealed to 9th Circuit

Aug. 24, 2015: Appealed to 9th Circuit; Appellants' Opening Brief and EOR Filed

Case information and docket link

Background & case file news release:

California gun dealers file First Amendment lawsuit against Attorney General Kamala Harris, California DOJ

November 10, 2014 (SACRAMENTO, CA) -- Four California gun dealers are filing a federal lawsuit today against California Attorney General Kamala Harris over what they say is a violation of their First Amendment civil rights. Stephen Lindley, who heads the DOJ’s Bureau of Firearms, is named as a co-defendant in the case.

Tracy Rifle and Pistol, a firearm retailer and indoor shooting range located in San Joaquin County, was recently cited by Harris’ Department of Justice for having pictures of three handguns in window signs that can be seen outside the store. California Penal Code section 26820, first enacted in 1923, bans gun stores from putting up signs advertising the sale of handguns -- but not shotguns or rifles. An adjacent window image at Tracy Rifle, which shows a photograph of an AR-15 rifle, was not cited by the DOJ.

“I run one of the most heavily regulated and inspected businesses in existence, but it’s still illegal for me to show customers that I sell handguns until after they walk in the door,” explained Michael Baryla, the owner of Tracy Rifle & Pistol. “That’s about as silly a law as you could imagine, even here in California.”

While California gun dealers cannot display even the word ‘handgun’ at their stores to passersby, adjacent businesses and anti-gun protesters are not prohibited from doing as much. The court filings argue that the law operates as unconstitutional speaker, content, and viewpoint-based discrimination, in addition to having other legal problems.

Similar statutes banning handgun displays can be found in places like Pennsylvania, Texas, and Washington, D.C., but the California Department of Justice appears to be the only state agency enforcing provisions like the challenged ban.

The lawsuit claims that this restriction violates gun stores’ First Amendment rights, by severely restricting truthful, non-misleading commercial speech. Lead counsel Bradley Benbrook said about the lawsuit, “The First Amendment prevents the government from telling businesses it disfavors that they can't engage in truthful advertising. This case follows a long line of Supreme Court cases protecting such disfavored businesses from that type of censorship.”

Though the case doesn’t claim a Second Amendment violation, plaintiffs do argue that commercial advertisement of constitutionally protected products and services -- whether abortion, contraceptives, or guns -- is especially clearly protected under the First Amendment.

The plaintiffs are also represented by Benbrook's colleague Stephen Duvernay and Eugene Volokh, a UCLA law professor who has written and taught extensively about the First and Second Amendments. Before joining the UCLA faculty 20 years ago, Volokh clerked for Judge Alex Kozinski of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and Justice Sandra Day O'Connor of the U.S. Supreme Court. He also operates the popular legal blog “The Volokh Conspiracy,” now hosted at the Washington Post.

California Association of Federal Firearms Licensees, the state’s firearm industry association, joined gun rights groups The Calguns Foundation and Second Amendment Foundation in support of the case.

The lawsuit’s other plaintiffs include Sacramento Black Rifle of Rocklin, Ten Percent Firearms of Taft, and PRK Arms, a Fresno-based dealer that operates a chain of three stores in California’s Central San Joaquin Valley, as well as business owners Robert Adams, Wesley Morris, and Jeffrey Mullen, respectively.

A copy of the complaint can be viewed at http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/lit.../trap-v-harris.

California Association of Federal Firearm Licensees (www.calffl.org) is California’s most tenacious advocacy group for Second Amendment and related economic rights. CAL-FFL members include firearm dealers, training professionals, shooting ranges, collectors, gun owners, and others who participate in the firearms ecosystem.

The Calguns Foundation (www.calgunsfoundation.org) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that serves its members, supporters, and the public through educational, cultural, and judicial efforts to advance Second Amendment and related civil rights.

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nation’s oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.

machrono 11-10-2014 11:42 AM

And how much of our taxpayers money will Sacramento spend to defend this???!!! :(

Paladin 11-10-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 15233797)
While California gun dealers cannot display even the word ‘handgun’ at their stores to passersby, adjacent businesses and anti-gun protesters are not prohibited from doing as much. The court filings argue that the law operates as unconstitutional speaker, content, and viewpoint-based discrimination, in addition to having other legal problems.

Un-frickin' believable!

Quote:

Similar statutes banning handgun displays can be found in places like Pennsylvania, Texas, and Washington, D.C., but the California Department of Justice appears to be the only state agency enforcing provisions like the challenged ban.

Typical liberal hypocrisy.

Quote:

California Association of Federal Firearms Licensees, the state’s firearm industry association, joined gun rights groups The Calguns Foundation and Second Amendment Foundation in support of the case.

The lawsuit’s other plaintiffs include Sacramento Black Rifle of Rocklin, Ten Percent Firearms of Taft, and PRK Arms, a Fresno-based dealer that operates a chain of three stores in California’s Central San Joaquin Valley, as well as business owners Robert Adams, Wesley Morris, and Jeffrey Mullen, respectively.

Um, where's the ACLU??? This is the 1st Amendment, after all.... :rolleyes:

This case is GREAT news, but I won't give the thread 5 stars since "the usual suspects" will probably turn it into their personal debate forum.... (rather than using PMs to argue among themselves)

Baboosh 11-10-2014 11:56 AM

Go get em guys.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SonofWWIIDI 11-10-2014 12:01 PM

Just saw this on Facebook.

Hope they win!

CZ man in LA 11-10-2014 12:02 PM

Great. But lemme guess, about a decade of waiting?

Quote:

California Penal Code section 26820, first enacted in 1923, bans gun stores from putting up signs advertising the sale of handguns -- but not shotguns or rifles. An adjacent window image at Tracy Rifle, which shows a photograph of an AR-15 rifle, was not cited by the DOJ.

Again, just like Mulford, we live with stupid gun laws passed by previous generations.

umd 11-10-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Though the case doesn’t claim a Second Amendment violation

Wrong forum?

j/k

Go get em. :D

speedrrracer 11-10-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 15233904)
Um, where's the ACLU??? This is the 1st Amendment, after all.... :rolleyes:

Yup, we can be certain the ACLU will not lift a finger to help anything even remotely connected to the Second Amendment.

And Eugene is helping out? Yikes. :facepalm: What's the over/under on him throwing 10-round mags under the bus?

Bruce 11-10-2014 12:28 PM

We can't buy handguns that aren't on some silly list, and a lawsuit over a sign is big news. :facepalm:

wildhawker 11-10-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce (Post 15234118)
We can't buy handguns that aren't on some silly list, and a lawsuit over a sign is big news. :facepalm:

It's an important case to develop 1A protections around 2A rights.

And note that the Roster is already being challenged.

-Brandon

ke6guj 11-10-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildhawker (Post 15234142)
It's an important case to develop 1A protections around 2A rights.

And note that the Roster is already being challenged.

-Brandon

yup. and lawsuits can proceed on multiple fronts at the same time. they don't have to wait for the roster suit to finish before trying to fix 1A problems that affect the dealers.

IVC 11-10-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

The same "thousand cuts" antis use against us, just in reverse.

*Every* gun-related case is *important.* If we had 100 "low hanging fruit" types of cases that address very special and narrow restrictions, we should fight all 100 of them. It forces the other side to go on defense and conditions them that we'll exploit and use against them any inconsistency should they try to pass more gun control.

If I were cynical, I'd say that Brown didn't sign SB 374 (expanded AW ban) because he knew it was not well written and would endanger the current AW if challenged (just a conspiracy theory, obviously; I don't know what Brown was thinking.)

Window_Seat 11-10-2014 12:58 PM

Can this case be partially on point with Frudden v. Pilling, 742 F.3d 1199 (9th Cir. 2014)?

Erik.

wazdat 11-10-2014 1:04 PM

Quote:

Low hanging fruit.

This should be a slam dunk. :D

wolfwood 11-10-2014 1:08 PM

I'm a little worried Kilmer isn't on this one. However its nice to see Volokh trying his hand at litigation. I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

Wiz-of-Awd 11-10-2014 1:52 PM

So back to my question from the other thread...
How does Grant Boys get to have this "handgun" displayed on their building?

A.W.D.

http://media.yellowbot.com/r/650x500...ta-mesa-ca.jpg

Tovarish 11-10-2014 2:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedrrracer (Post 15234015)
Yup, we can be certain the ACLU will not lift a finger to help anything even remotely connected to the Second Amendment.

And Eugene is helping out? Yikes. :facepalm: What's the over/under on him throwing 10-round mags under the bus?

Well, the ACLU has been known to take cases where Christian speech was stifled. They try to be consistent in advocating the 1st Amendment.

Not saying they would fight on this issue, but I don't think it's as crazy an idea as you make it out to be.

Tovarish 11-10-2014 2:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiz-of-Awd (Post 15234571)

A.W.D.

Ha. Maybe because it's historically important, like scripture quotes on old government buildings.

TurboChrisB 11-10-2014 4:36 PM

More likely Costa Mesa doesn't know it's "illegal" or even if they do....choose not to harass a long time local small business over a obviously silly law.

PolishMike 11-10-2014 5:09 PM

This will be fun.

FMJBT 11-10-2014 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolishMike (Post 15235649)
This will be fun.

Heck yeah! Give 'em hell, Mike!

onemanarmy 11-10-2014 6:52 PM

I can't speak for the other businesses listed but I like what TRAP stands for. That is a great shop full of a great group of guys that support our 2nd amendment. This is down right silly. I will make donation to help fight this.

lastinline 11-10-2014 7:44 PM

I hope she looses lots of sleep over this……let's make her next stretch in office as stressful as possible. She deserves to get the cancer she spreads.

Drivedabizness 11-10-2014 8:18 PM

CA Prisoners were able to get Federal supervision over medical/mental health shortcomings (8A) that put State prisons under Federal control. Here in CA we have 2A (Peruta and perhaps Nordyke and others), 1A (alleged in this suit) ammo law (COTUS), etc., etc.

The record is replete with out and out hostility towards gun rights from the CA Legislature. When will we plead for a consent decree/Federal oversight?

Funtimes 11-10-2014 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedrrracer (Post 15234015)

That's not true, they helped my foundation in Hawaii on multiple occasions.

BroncoBob 11-10-2014 8:31 PM

Best of luck to Mike and hope he kicks some azz

Mitch 11-11-2014 6:42 AM

Quote:

A.W.D.

Grant Boys is in Costa Mesa, not some ridiculous planned suburb full of NIMBYs, busybodies and beige condos.

Sutcliffe 11-11-2014 6:58 AM

I never knew this bizarre regulation was actually a law

My bad for being ignorant.

7 Sprig 11-11-2014 7:07 AM

Link to news article .

http://www.kcra.com/gun-store-owners...court/29652644

biglou 11-11-2014 8:10 AM

I seen this on local tv news here in the valley. Like some people, I didn't even know this stupid regulation existed. How can this state expect business to stay here with all these crazy regulations ?

Loopwell 11-11-2014 8:58 AM

Best of luck to CA store owners! Saw this in the front of Yahoo this morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

formerTexan 11-11-2014 9:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drivedabizness (Post 15236821)
CA Prisoners were able to get Federal supervision over medical/mental health shortcomings (8A) that put State prisons under Federal control. Here in CA we have 2A (Peruta and perhaps Nordyke and others), 1A (alleged in this suit) ammo law (COTUS), etc., etc.

The record is replete with out and out hostility towards gun rights from the CA Legislature. When will we plead for a consent decree/Federal oversight?

Not under the current administration's DoJ, which likes to file lawsuits against states that passed laws to protect the integrity of its citizens' votes.

If our nation elects a president in 2016 that will act as per the oath of office, unlike our current one, it would be possible that the civil rights unit at the DoJ file civil right violations lawsuits against states who infringe on 2A. Perhaps with President Perry :83:

mlevans66 11-11-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolishMike (Post 15235649)
This will be fun.

Oh, yes it will be! I hope you win and WIN BIG!

Mitch 11-11-2014 11:37 AM

Eugene Volokh weighs in: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...n-their-signs/

Bhart356 11-11-2014 12:15 PM

Tracy Rifle and Pistol v. Kamala Harris (filed 11-10-2014) (First Amendment)

Quote:

A.W.D.

CADOJ would never want to pick that fight.

The Grant Boys aka Grants for Guns is a decades old institution that sits prominently on Newport Blvd. near the border of Costa Mesa and Newport Beach. If CADOJ took any action against that sign it would quickly become a cause célèbre for any number of very wealthy, conservative and politically influential people. It would escalate into a statewide media campaign against everything that is wrong with the over-controlling, gun-grabbing Democratic Party. CADOJ doesn't want to poke that tiger.

No doubt Kamala Korps thought a harassing citation to a small time gun shop owner in the Central Valley could be easily managed. Why not bully the little guy? They could slap around a small business owner and go home feeling like they did a good day's work.

Props to CaFFL and the other parties for stepping in and making sure there is justice for all. And yeah - where IS the ACLU?

iluvmycolt 11-11-2014 1:11 PM

Good luck TRAP and co. Hope you guys win.

romadant 11-11-2014 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhart356 (Post 15240372)
Props to CaFFL and the other parties for stepping in and making sure there is justice for all. And yeah - where IS the ACLU?

The ACLU is too busy defending people like this guy:

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazin...the_police.php

I agree with them defending him by the way - 1st amendment and all - but, I just think it's funny which battles they choose.

Mitch 11-12-2014 7:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhart356 (Post 15240372)
CADOJ would never want to pick that fight.

The Grant Boys aka Grants for Guns is a decades old institution that sits prominently on Newport Blvd. near the border of Costa Mesa and Newport Beach. If CADOJ took any action against that sign it would quickly become a cause célèbre for any number of very wealthy, conservative and politically influential people.

Ironically, the owners of Grant Boys came out publicly in favor of the assault weapon ban.

But they do have the 4473 from when John Wayne bought an AR-15 in the seventies, so I guess that's cool.

MachineGuntongue 11-12-2014 11:24 PM

Time to buy more at TR&P!

See you very soon, MB! Fully support your works and admire the excellence (persistence and dedication) you bring the area. Central CA is blessed to have your shop in town.

(Any cool pics of a Kamala and Willie B on how to win friends and influence people? meme contest like ala Cosby coming soon ... Relax and stare into the sweater ......)

Foxbat 11-12-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachineGuntongue (Post 15251492)
Time to buy more at TR&P!

Same here as soon as my next paycheck comes in.