Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Tikka T3 "super varmint" vs. "tactical" price? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=438701)

send it_hit 05-29-2011 1:12 PM

Tikka T3 "super varmint" vs. "tactical" price?

So I've been really interested in the Tikka t3 Tac. in .223, but the price is killing me ($1200-$1400). The SuperVarmint seems to be around $700-$800... On the Tikka site I don't see much difference between the two.

The only things the tac seems to have on the SV are:

-Teflon Coated bolt
-fiberglass reinforced copolymer polypropylene stock

(for all I know, the supervarmint has these things, since the site doesn't have a lot of info on it.)

All other extras are just that... extra. So why the $600 price difference? Is a fiberglass reinforced stock really $600? I feel like I'm missing something.

diego-ted 05-29-2011 7:42 PM

I would go for the Vamint, its alot to pay for a threaded barrol and cheek riser and rail.

diego. The Scout has everything the Tac does except the threaded barrel and cheek riser.

Diego

pyro3k2 05-29-2011 10:03 PM

Would be cheaper to get the CTR or the super varminter and pay a gunsmith to thread your barrel than to buy the tactical model. If you find a 24" tactical .308 however that could be worth the money.

send it_hit 05-29-2011 10:26 PM

I don't see a Scout or CTR?

pyro3k2 05-29-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobIDSC (Post 6496184)
I don't see a Scout or CTR?

the scout is a CTR, they are one in the same. They are a newer model released in the past year and a half IIRC. http://www.berettausa.com/products/t...r/default.aspx they are going to be around 1k out the door so 850 price range would be expected.

send it_hit 05-29-2011 10:54 PM

oh ok... yeah i actually wasn't aware beretta and tikka were tied somehow... the things you learn!

send it_hit 05-29-2011 10:57 PM

also, I see the scout has a much shorter barrel (obviously, thus the scout.), but I'm wondering how that will affect the accuracy of a .223 round? I know it's not much of a big deal, since I won't be shooting past about 200yds at the range, maybe 400 hunting... any farther than that I'll be using a larger round. Just wondering though :)

And thanks for the info

pyro3k2 05-29-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobIDSC (Post 6496316)
oh ok... yeah i actually wasn't aware beretta and tikka were tied somehow... the things you learn!

Barretta imports them I believe but Tikka has the closest ties to Sako.

RugerNo1 05-30-2011 7:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobIDSC (Post 6496336)
also, I see the scout has a much shorter barrel (obviously, thus the scout.), but I'm wondering how that will affect the accuracy of a .223 round?

A short or long barrel has little to do with accuracy. Length is directly related to velocity which would give you greater performance at range.

You may actually see that a short barrel will be more accurate than a longer barrel of the same diameter. I have seen slow motion video of a long skinny barrel "whipping". A shorter barrel would be stiffer and not suffer so much from that problem.

mrkurtz 05-30-2011 1:32 PM

The Super Varmint has a free floating barrel on the upgraded stock. The Varmint has an entirely different stock. The super varmint has a long bull barrel, not a skinny one and a rail like the tactical. I went with the Super Varmint stainless personally. The Tactical just has a shorter threaded barrel and a different finish. I say buy your scope with the money you save. No contest.

FUBAR 05-30-2011 1:37 PM

Super Varmint. The Tactical isn't worth the xtra cost. You can get a Manners Stock with the money you saved.

send it_hit 05-30-2011 3:30 PM

Yeah the only thing is I'm not a huge fan of stainless aesthetically... Im thinking of just going with the regular varmint, as long as the barrel is freefloated and I can put a picatinny rail on it, which I prefer...

mrkurtz 05-30-2011 3:59 PM

I don't think the standard Varmint is free floated. Although the Super Varmint stock looks about the same, it is totally different. Main reason they cost more. Turners has a Varmint on consignment with a Leupold scope. If its a good scope it may be worth looking at.

pointedstick 05-30-2011 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobIDSC (Post 6493562)
All other extras are just that... extra. So why the $600 price difference? Is a fiberglass reinforced stock really $600? I feel like I'm missing something.

Supply and demand, my friend! The big manufacturers discovered a few years ago that they could hike the price on SUPER EXTREME SPEC-OPS TACTICAL products to boost their margins. We gun owners eat it up, especially the younger generation that was raised on video games with awesome-looking black military guns. Now I like that stuff, but if I were in the market for this gun I'd totally go with the cheaper rifle. Dunno what you want it for, but since the difference is primarily aesthetic, if you're gonna be hunting with it, ya might as well get a rifle that looks like a hunting weapon as opposed to something a police sniper would use.

Iggy 05-30-2011 8:32 PM

I just bought a CTR and did some load development. It likes the same load as my 5R and get the exact same crono numbers. This is out of a 20" barrel.

I still have to shoot it a bit, but this gun is really accurate and I am really surprised based on the price. For $850 it's hard to beat since you don't have to do anything to it and it shoots lights out.

Go with with the CTR and an Eagle stock pack. That's what I did and I don't wish for any more elevation on the cheek rest.

send it_hit 05-30-2011 10:06 PM

all good points... this may be a can of worms but how much does a freefloated barrel REALLY matter? I'm guessing that I'm not such an amazing marksman that it will matter a ton.

Anyone know if you can get the SuperVarmint blued, not stainless?

pyro3k2 05-30-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobIDSC (Post 6501416)
all good points... this may be a can of worms but how much does a freefloated barrel REALLY matter? I'm guessing that I'm not such an amazing marksman that it will matter a ton.

Anyone know if you can get the SuperVarmint blued, not stainless?

I don't think they make Tikka's without a free floated barrel...that would be a rare bird indeed. Interms of accuracy in a bolt action rifle free floating the barrel REALY DOES MATTER.

dvsdev 05-30-2011 11:23 PM

I was also interested in the super varmint and tactical models, but the price on the tactical is not worth it. A couple years ago the tacticals went for around $1k new. I believe the Tikka T3 Super Varmint has been discontinued or is no longer imported into the US.

If you know where to get a super varmint and decide not to buy it, please let me know.

pyro3k2 05-30-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvsdev (Post 6501749)
I was also interested in the super varmint and tactical models, but the price on the tactical is not worth it. A couple years ago the tacticals went for around $1k new. I believe the Tikka T3 Super Varmint has been discontinued or is no longer imported into the US.

If you know where to get a super varmint and decide not to buy it, please let me know.

I believe the super varminters in .308 are no longer being imported, the .223 and 22-250 models are still around.

send it_hit 05-31-2011 1:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyro3k2 (Post 6501763)
I believe the super varminters in .308 are no longer being imported, the .223 and 22-250 models are still around.

That's so weird to me. Why would a company do that? .308 is probably the next most demanded chambering after .223

Does it cost them alot to import them? Can't be more than the .22's...

diego-ted 05-31-2011 5:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dont' know but I think I got the last new in the box Varmint in 308, sold in the USA.