Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Concealed Carry Discussion (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Should I cancel my CCW process? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=620062)

Gunnut87 09-13-2012 3:44 PM

Should I cancel my CCW process?

So I am kind of concerned. 2 days ago I had my CCW interview in Sacramento and everything was going fine. I have no criminal record, I have no traffic tickets, and I am security guard and a Army vet. However when I went through a police academy in Amador county I got kicked out of the class for "Integrity" violation. Its not so bad that I could never rejoin an academy, in fact they re-invited me to come back next year to try again. Anyway its a huge embarrassment..Anyway when I did the interview I told him I left the academy of my own will. Well now I regret telling him that and think I should have just been truthful. Should I withdraw my process because if I do get my CCW it will be under false pretenses? Not to mention how embarrassing it would be if I was denied because of me getting kicked out. What would you guys do?

Supertac916 09-13-2012 3:52 PM

Definitely should have been truthful with the interviewer. Personally, I would call the interviewer and tell him the truth. It won't look too good to lie to the interviewer and then they find out you got kicked out of the academy for integrity issues. Also, if you apply to get back into an academy they might ask you if your were ever denied while applying for a CCW. You don't want to have to explain that you were denied because you lied:)

I would call and apologize and explain to him that you were kicked out due to an integrity violation. He may want to go into more detail, but just be honest. Do not make up excuses of why you lied and just admit it was wrong.

It's better to admit when you were wrong then get called out on it. That's just my opinion.

CSACANNONEER 09-13-2012 3:56 PM

The fact that you are questioning it shows that you have some integrity. With only the limited info you have provided, if I was your interviewer, I'd be hesitant to give a LTC to a rent-a-cop who was an academy drop out but still wants to carry a gun. Sorry, back in college, I worked for a private security firm and met more than a few wannabes who scared the hell out of me so, I'm a bit jaded. Anyway, while I don't know exactly how far your interviewer will dig, I'd expect that he/she would at least question your answer and make a quick call to confirm your story. Why not call him/her and explain how embarrassed you are, apologize for not being entirely truthful (afterall, the academy did invite you back) and let the chips fall where they may. At least, you'll be able to live with yourself afterwards. Good luck with your decision.

Live4code3 09-13-2012 4:00 PM

I would actually just ask to cancel your CCW. You don't have to explain, and you don't have to lie. Perfect answer

Gunnut87 09-13-2012 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live4code3 (Post 9321957)
I would actually just ask to cancel your CCW. You don't have to explain, and you don't have to lie. Perfect answer

Can I do that? Can I just call in and ask to discontinue investigation?

1000stars 09-13-2012 8:49 PM

Call and ask the interviewer what to do after you tell the truth.

ramathorn 09-13-2012 9:26 PM

Tell them that its embarrassing and ask if they think its a big enough deal that you should cancel. They'll tell you. It may not be a huge deal and you having your first appointment was probably something you waited forever for so don't just bail. I know a guy that said he was never arrested and they said, "really what this little note we have from your past that says otherwise". It was 25 years ago and he forgot about the night he spent in jail, no charges were filed and he was released the next morning so it was a night he put behind him a long long time ago. He got approved. No problems.

Just play it cool and see what happens (the worst they can do is deny you) or call them and say you were nervous and embarrassed and see what happens. Don't just bail, it may be fine.

Knauga 09-13-2012 10:32 PM

You weren't arrested or convicted of anything, why would it even be discussed? Were you asked a question where this would be a relevant answer?

Sir Stunna Lot 09-14-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knauga (Post 9324441)
You weren't arrested or convicted of anything, why would it even be discussed? Were you asked a question where this would be a relevant answer?

probably falls under "previous firearm training" questions

Mickey D 09-21-2012 8:25 PM

I think you have an integrity problem. No LTC for you.

nine mil thrill 09-22-2012 6:56 AM

...i agree with mickey d........

bill_k_lopez 09-22-2012 7:09 AM

Mountain out of a mole hill.

jstasnk 09-22-2012 7:50 AM

Set things straight and take it from there...

Old_Bald_Guy 09-22-2012 1:39 PM

There are always variables that may affect any given situation that are not necessarily introduced into the public narrative of an event, but this wasn't a case of honestly forgetting to mention something or of simple miscommunication. From the OP's own description, it was a deliberate misrepresentation of an incident that bears directly on some very important licensing criteria in CA involving honesty and ethics. Based on that, I'd say a denial is probable. I echo those who advised correcting the lie and coming clean.

SacTown 09-22-2012 9:08 PM

I agree with those who advised to call the investigator back and telling the truth. I would personally tell them the truth whether or not you are going to cancel your LTC process or not. If for whatever reason you wish to try and get your LTC later down the road, a lingering false fact like that one will definitely raise a few red flags.

epilepticninja 09-25-2012 12:10 PM

To the OP, there is some really bad advice being given to you in this thread. Bill K hit it on the head. I pm'd you.

mag360 10-06-2012 1:43 PM

Why did you bring up the academy deal at all? They never asked if i went to an academy or not. Does being in an academy show up on your record?

Mickey D 10-07-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnut87 (Post 9321863)
So I am kind of concerned. 2 days ago I had my CCW interview in Sacramento and everything was going fine. I have no criminal record, I have no traffic tickets, and I am security guard and a Army vet. However when I went through a police academy in Amador county I got kicked out of the class for "Integrity" violation. [B]Its not so bad that I could never rejoin an academy, in fact they re-invited me to come back next year to try again.What kind of BS is this?Anyway its a huge embarrassment..Anyway when I did the interview I told him I left the academy of my own will. Well now I regret telling him that and think I should have just been truthful. Ya think? Should I withdraw my process because if I do get my CCW it will be under false pretenses? Not to mention how embarrassing it would be if I was denied because of me getting kicked out. What would you guys do?

Once again, Kicked out for Integrity Problem and untruthful during interview = unfit for LTC.

ElDub1950 10-07-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SacTown (Post 9378559)
I agree with those who advised to call the investigator back and telling the truth. I would personally tell them the truth whether or not you are going to cancel your LTC process or not. If for whatever reason you wish to try and get your LTC later down the road, a lingering false fact like that one will definitely raise a few red flags.

Same here! Also, you said you were invited back to the academy .. If you ever decided to go back, how would it look on your application if your were denied a LTC because you were not truthful on that application!

CD MCKINNEY 10-07-2012 2:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After reading all of this thread I can't help but be very curious as to what the "integrity violation" was......

[just for fun here's a few of my weapons]

Attachment 173011

Aces and 8s 10-07-2012 2:29 PM

Sooooo...

What was the reason you got kicked out of the academy?

Quickdraw559 10-11-2012 8:45 PM

:popcorn:

CD3 10-19-2012 12:39 PM

They are not going to "Dig" " call" "contact" the academy you went to. They only review academy files for employment reasons not CCW's. And seeing that you're not applying for a job no reason to "dig, look, call, contact, or the what not. Now, do i think you need to come clean and fess up to not being truthfull, yes, because if you have to use your gun to defend yourself or a family member, that little thing about the academy you failed mention will come up in court and you can bet you butt they say you're not a truthfull person, and are we really sure it really happened like the defendent stated it did or did he lie... I'm just saying...