Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & How To (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   refinishing stock of Rem 870, -----project complete! with pics---- (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=492352)

huggybear 10-24-2011 3:57 PM

refinishing stock of Rem 870, -----project complete! with pics----
 
I have a non-matching stock set for my Remington 870 pictured below.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...9/IMG_2506.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...tgunforend.png

*********UPDATE*************
So i ended up taking the stock and forend to my uncle who owns a furniture painting business. In exchange for some labor he told me he would stain them for me and here is the finish product. It came out beautiful and i was hesitant about putting it on my shotgun because i didn't want to ruin it but i thought it would be a waste not to use them. I ended up choosing a medium cherry stain because i wanted a red look to the wood.
here are the pics


http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...9/IMG_2536.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...9/IMG_2532.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...9/IMG_2529.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...9/IMG_2525.jpg

huggybear 10-24-2011 5:29 PM

here are pics of the stock and forend after i used citristrip and after i sanded them down.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...9/IMG_2516.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...9/IMG_2518.jpg

huggybear 10-27-2011 10:29 PM

NEW QUESTION, I've already used the citristrip, now i am going to stain it but i have one more question, what is the difference between these two wipe on polys?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053


One is clear satin and the other is clear gloss. what is the difference in how they leave the finished product?

DannyInSoCal 10-27-2011 10:41 PM

One is a clear satin.

The other one is more "glossy"....

huggybear 10-27-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyInSoCal (Post 7400425)
One is a clear satin.

The other one is more "glossy"....

just Googled it, what i got out of it is that satin would not be shinny while gloss is.

otteray 10-28-2011 5:12 AM

Why are you using a product designed for indoor use?
Most shotgunning is done in the outdoors. ;)

Have you thought about using a product designed for gun stocks like Tru Oil?

totenkopf 10-28-2011 8:19 AM

do you want them to look the same? you have two different types of wood that will stain differently. there are ways to correct this.

huggybear 10-28-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by totenkopf (Post 7401654)
do you want them to look the same? you have two different types of wood that will stain differently. there are ways to correct this.

yes i want them to look the same. how is it corrected? I am looking for a red mahogany stain.

huggybear 10-28-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otteray (Post 7401119)
Why are you using a product designed for indoor use?
Most shotgunning is done in the outdoors. ;)

Have you thought about using a product designed for gun stocks like Tru Oil?

i was going to use this (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053) to stain it.

huggybear 10-29-2011 12:56 PM

Ok so new question, the stock and the forend are different wood types. The forend is lighter and the stock is darker. What i was going to do was stain the stock with less coats then the forend to try and make them come out the same. Is that the way to try and make them the same color or is there something else i need to do?

otteray 10-29-2011 1:54 PM

Looks like a birch forend and a walnut butt stock to me. Why mahogany stain?
I realize it's not a military arm; but do yourself a favor and read this how to guide from CMP about staining birch to walnut using alcohol based stains. Specifically, section 6.4
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/askarmore...article.htm#64

huggybear 10-29-2011 2:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otteray (Post 7408347)
Looks like a birch forend and a walnut butt stock to me. Why mahogany stain?
I realize it's not a military arm; but do yourself a favor and read this how to guide from CMP about staining birch to walnut using alcohol based stains. Specifically, section 6.4
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/askarmore...article.htm#64

thanks alot, that helps alot

totenkopf 10-29-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huggybear (Post 7402906)
yes i want them to look the same. how is it corrected? I am looking for a red mahogany stain.

you can use a stain conditioner. pm me for details. it is too late for me to type it out now.

huggybear 10-31-2011 1:05 PM

update on the first post, project complete.

dandechino 11-01-2011 1:46 AM

Nice work! Looks beautiful


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.